Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Someone in the party needs to have the Soul Hacker skill equipped. It’s the base skill for the class but Triton doesn’t have it so if he’s the only soul hacker you’re running you won’t learn anything.

Ohhh got it, thank you. That's ridiculous and the game doesn't outright say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

Ohhh got it, thank you. That's ridiculous and the game doesn't outright say it.

I think it says that about Triton at some point when you finish his Hero Quest, it’s just in an indirect way. I didn’t know either, seems like most people missed that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think it says that about Triton at some point when you finish his Hero Quest, it’s just in an indirect way. I didn’t know either, seems like most people missed that.

Yeah the three-page blurb about the talents was more a "hey Triton forgot his skills and can re-learn them by doing x" but I don't remember it saying skills can only be learned if the class is equipped by anybody other than him. All good though, it wouldn't be a Xenoblade game unless there was confusion with how skills function.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, when I realized Triton himself would be kind of dead weight, except for helping people inherit his class faster I guess, I just spent Nopon Coins to max out the class on Lanz. He's had the Soul Hack skill permanently bolted onto him as I've gone around and I've picked up a ton of Soul Hack skills. One of these days I should maybe get around to having people other than him inherit the class... and also maybe actually look through the skills to see if I got anything good...

Honestly, I'd recommend watching a video or reading an FAQ. There's just so much cruft to wade through, because the job has healing, tanking, and damage skills/arts/master arts all jumbled into one gargantuan list. Soul Hacker is arguably either the strongest or one of the strongest classes in the game with some absurd bullshit that it can get up to (there's a hilarious strategy that involves taking 5 soul hackers, an ogre, and the signifier/troubador hero and abusing the crap out of the art recharge skills to permanently stunlock superbosses and generate drops).

But trying to parse all that on your own would be difficult even if the game provided you a nice fancy excel spreadsheet instead of the limited UI that you have access to. The class is a hell of a lot of fun though once it gets going, though the biggest power spike is in the area right before the final boss, and the later power spikes come from superbosses.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I went through the entirety of Xenoblade 2 without knowing that there are button prompts in the battle system (auto-battle removes this mechanic completely), so I'm not the most observant JRPG player, but I didn't require any extra guide to figure out Soul Hacker. At worst, it requires like 10 minutes of experimentation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Takoluka posted:

I went through the entirety of Xenoblade 2 without knowing that there are button prompts in the battle system (auto-battle removes this mechanic completely), so I'm not the most observant JRPG player, but I didn't require any extra guide to figure out Soul Hacker. At worst, it requires like 10 minutes of experimentation.

Sure, just throwing poo poo at the wall works, and you'll build something halfway decent. If you want to push it to its limits though, there's a lot of synergies and such that get really interesting and only open up if you're thinking about the entire kit and how it can be synergized with other classes, accessories, gems, etc. Since you have 6 different bases to choose from, a ton of skills to choose from, a ton of arts to choose from, synergies between all three, and synergies between Soul Hacker and other classes or Soul Hacker and other Soul Hackers, it can get overwhelming very quickly.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oh yeah, absolutely. It was more in response to people not having Soul Hacker trigger and being confused about what makes it work. The game makes it clear that the Soul Hacker skill is basically a Blue Mage ability. Triton does not have that skill. Therefore, it stands to reason that just having him in your party won't trigger the skill. The game doesn't need to handhold you through the skill; you're smart, so if the big SOUL HACKED message doesn't appear when you tested the skill on the Unique Bunnit, open your menu instead of being mad that the game didn't walk you through a Final Fantasy 8-style flipbook tutorial.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Happy Training Day, everyone.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
YIPPEE

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Warning, post-game spoilers below and within video.

Been playing around with a team I got off youtube. Its basically designed for facing Seraphic Ceratinia at lv 200 on hard. It's really reliable for that purpose. Its good for facing all the other superbosses except the flying one.

It takes advantage of the Full Metal Jaguar having lots of multihit attacks, and that it has quickdraw and access to the ring of roses, aerial slash, and jaguar claw master arts. Then you give it and almost everyone else the guardian commander skill that cuts recharge time in half when non-tanks are targeted. Add the martial artist crit recharge as well and you have a dodge tank that the computer can use pretty well.

Then you go with a troubador+Signifier because you need the defense buffs signifier brings in to endure its attacks, combo reactions, and status effects until you can get to a chain attack. Getting debuff barrier or ether anchor is a big reason to bring a signifier here.

Then you have a Sena Ogre, Taion Seraph, and Noah Swordsman to do smash combos until you chain attack. Then you have Melia in the hero slot with the +20 tp ring, the legendary accessory that replicates the -50% cooldown if non-defender is targeted skill, and the memory locket. Her purpose is to act as a 3rd source of toppling if both of Taions topple arts are on cooldown as well as be the central engine in the chain attack.

The speed at which arts recharge and buffs get reapplied is incredible with this party. One flaw is that Seraphic Ceratinia will without a doubt kill some of your party members in the opening seconds of the fight. By the time you break and interrupt him, those party members will have been revived, at which point the AI is going to use glittering melody and Taion or Melia can quickly topple him. The rest flows naturally from there.

This here is the video of the party I talked about. Don't click on it if you haven't beaten the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXxDmd87kQ

Sylvian Wastes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 24, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Uhh, I accidentally put my weapons away trying to rez a teammate in the final battle and it seems like you can't take them back out during it. RIP, plus you can't skip the sequences or set it to autobattle so it's a significant time tax.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I decided to try XC3 on Yuzu again since I read that the issues have apparently been resolved since I last tried it (which was right around release, and crashes happened every ~15-30 minutes at the time). It runs really well now, and in 4k/60fps even. The only bug I've noticed is that the motes don't come off of corpses, but I've made it around 3 hours without a single crash (or even any stuttering to speak of) so it seems pretty stable.

The improvement in visuals is mostly noticeable during combat. A lot of attacks have pretty cool animations that you couldn't really see as well in the game's native resolution, and the monster models look pretty cool. I haven't gotten to any of the more visually impressive zones yet, so I'll be curious to see how those look.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm 90 hours in, started the last chapter, done about half the ascension quests, and I have no idea what the glowing blue shards you occasionally find do.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You need to complete the sidequest about tracking down the seven* legendary noponsmiths. A couple are locked behind their own sidequests.

*The first one gave you the sidequest in the first place and the seventh one can only be found after the other five.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Quick question, I supposedly began the yellow quest marker for Isurd’s side quest, which began with going to a campfire near the large sea, where Isurd calls up Taion and asks him to go to Lambda. But, when I talk to Isurd nothing is triggered for the quest. The yellow quest marker isn’t in my list and I have no clue how to begin it, any ideas? The quest activation stuff in this game is ridiculous.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That's Taion's ascension - you probably need to talk to Isurd, which you can't do if he might be in your party. Maybe a bit presumptious of me to assume that's your issue, but I figure might as well mention it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alxprit posted:

That's Taion's ascension - you probably need to talk to Isurd, which you can't do if he might be in your party. Maybe a bit presumptious of me to assume that's your issue, but I figure might as well mention it.

Yeah that’s what’s odd, I did talk to him without him in the party, just to be sure. I’m super confused how you can “accept” the quest but not have it show up in your quest list. Is a certain affinity with a colony required before you can pursue these quests?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Maybe it's a campfire talk?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Ytlaya posted:

I decided to try XC3 on Yuzu again since I read that the issues have apparently been resolved since I last tried it (which was right around release, and crashes happened every ~15-30 minutes at the time). It runs really well now, and in 4k/60fps even. The only bug I've noticed is that the motes don't come off of corpses, but I've made it around 3 hours without a single crash (or even any stuttering to speak of) so it seems pretty stable.

The improvement in visuals is mostly noticeable during combat. A lot of attacks have pretty cool animations that you couldn't really see as well in the game's native resolution, and the monster models look pretty cool. I haven't gotten to any of the more visually impressive zones yet, so I'll be curious to see how those look.

Yuzu released the mainline update that partially fixes the motes a couple hours ago.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Credits wrapped at 120 hours, drat what a game. Still have post game content to do, but I'll really miss these characters. The story doesn't have as many twists & turns as 1 or 2, and the plot peaks at the end of Chapter 5. The ending was a gut punch. The party saying goodbye & chasing after each other was so well done. I feel like I missed a beat story beat though. How did they know they'd be separated into the Keves & Agnus groups again after beating Z? That could have lead to more tension in the finale if their impending separation previously.

The only thing I had spoiled before playing was a certain music track. Knew there was the Future Connected battle theme remix & was waiting the whole game to show up. I'll never take Melia out of my party now, that remix slaps so much.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Palmtree Panic posted:

The party saying goodbye & chasing after each other was so well done. I feel like I missed a beat story beat though. How did they know they'd be separated into the Keves & Agnus groups again after beating Z? That could have lead to more tension in the finale if their impending separation previously.

This story beat is oddly placed as it's only brought up if you load a beaten save game file and decide go talk to Nia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ardryn posted:

Yuzu released the mainline update that partially fixes the motes a couple hours ago.

Ah, cool. It's not exactly a huge issue (if anything it's just a little goofy that it seems to be the only noticeable issue). I've encountered only a single crash so far in ~11-12 hours now, and I think it was just due to a resource leak or something because everything suddenly started chugging after playing for a long time. Definitely worth it for the huge improvements in visuals; it's very noticeable for a game like this. Not quite as dramatic as the upgrade from emulating Xenoblade X (X emulated is still the best looking Xenoblade world period), but still pretty huge.

One kind of weird thing is that I had to use the Early Access Version of Yuzu; with the regular version the game wouldn't start up. I'll try the newest one and see how it goes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Which of the core 6 party members ended up being your favorite? Taion and Lanz were neck and neck for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Which of the core 6 party members ended up being your favorite? Taion and Lanz were neck and neck for me.

Eunie and Mio.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Eunie for sure. Lanz is probably the best meathead in the whole series.

I wish Sena had more plot relevance. Her ascension quest did her dirty. It was more of a Ghondor quest & the Shania plot should've been part of the main story.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Junpei posted:

Mio. Eunie in a close second if I could pick two.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
IMO they're all pretty great

Eunie's da bus

Also, Sena. People-pleasing herbo just doing her best. YIPPEE

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Eunie and Taion.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Junpei posted:

I love all the children but Mio was the standout to me. Eunie a close second. I just have a soft spot for Gormotti thanks to Nia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something I didn't realize until yesterday is how rare it is that Eunie and Sena don't have high-heels, something that is weirdly almost universal for female characters in games like this (Mio does have them, though they're at least not too extreme).

Junpei posted:

Lanz I think. I've posted before about how strongly I disagree with the "Lanz is a Reyn clone" opinion (which I think might be partly due to localization - the localization seems to play up their similarity far more, down to sharing specific catch-phrases). Lanz is probably the most "troubled" of the main cast, which is a pretty big contrast with Reyn's role in XC1.

Taion probably second, also, though he benefits a lot from his interactions with Eunie.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HEHE, COME TO EUNIE

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Junpei posted:

Touchdown!!!!!!!!!!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Palmtree Panic posted:

I feel like I missed a beat story beat though. How did they know they'd be separated into the Keves & Agnus groups again after beating Z? That could have lead to more tension in the finale if their impending separation previously.

yeah you didn't miss anything, it really sucks. this game's final act would have been great if this had been established at any point beforehand, but instead the ending seems like it came out from an earlier draft of the script.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ytlaya posted:

Something I didn't realize until yesterday is how rare it is that Eunie and Sena don't have high-heels, something that is weirdly almost universal for female characters in games like this (Mio does have them, though they're at least not too extreme).

Lanz I think. I've posted before about how strongly I disagree with the "Lanz is a Reyn clone" opinion (which I think might be partly due to localization - the localization seems to play up their similarity far more, down to sharing specific catch-phrases). Lanz is probably the most "troubled" of the main cast, which is a pretty big contrast with Reyn's role in XC1.

Taion probably second, also, though he benefits a lot from his interactions with Eunie.

I think it really helps that you get to see Lanz when he was younger to add extra context to his modern-day hangups and it feels like you're there for way more character growth.

Reyn is great and all, don't get me wrong, but XBC3 is the more recent game and its characters benefit from better production values.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I put well over 100 hours into this game, and it was only after watching someone streaming it the other day that I find out you can use the secondary arts on their own and not just as part of a fusion art. I feel very smart.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ajkalan posted:

I put well over 100 hours into this game, and it was only after watching someone streaming it the other day that I find out you can use the secondary arts on their own and not just as part of a fusion art. I feel very smart.

You can WHAT? :stare: HOW?!?!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

You can WHAT? :stare: HOW?!?!

Use the D-pad! Yeah, I know!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did you guys just… not read the battle tutorials at all?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did you guys just… not read the battle tutorials at all?

a lot of people didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Honestly, it's such a hard call for best party member, but Eunie is so quotable and has such good interactions with the world around her that I thought about it, rated her #1, bish bash bosh.

Everyone else is a very, very close second, though.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 7, 2022