Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Franz posted:

I once left a wooden wine charm on a glass that went into the dishwasher and it was gone at the end of the cycle. It wasn't stuck in the filter or anything, that dishwasher completely dissolved a small block of wood over the course of the wash cycle.

I am NOT even going to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A "wooden" "winecharm" :airquote:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Biplane posted:

A "wooden" "winecharm" :airquote:

"A"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, does she... just not use public bathrooms? Or ones in other people's houses?

MIL is the rear end in a top hat, of course, but :therapy:

And get rid of idiot husband too while she's at it.

I would have no more issue using an unlocked bathroom in someone else's house than I would in my own house because barging into a potentially-in-use bathroom without knocking is ludicrously rude and I have zero concern that it might happen. It should be totally irrelevant whether the door is locked or not unless you have five year olds (or this creepy fetishist mother in law) running around.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

cumpantry posted:

it's nice and all that she has an explanation for not wanting to lock the door, but seriously, she needs to sort her poo poo and lock the loving door. there's always the onus on those who open the door to knock first, but there's just as much one for the occupants to use the function that renders this situation an impossibility in the first place, christ's sakes

Or…and just hear me out here, her useless husband could tell his mother to either stop doing it or GTFO

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Propaniac posted:

AITA for doing weird/awkward poses whenever my MIL "accidently" walks in on me in the bathroom?

After the 2nd time I'd be bringing a spray bottle into the washroom with me and spritzing her while shouting KNOCK NEXT TIME.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Iirc, this was posted many years ago and there was some twist.... like they refused to say who they were or what they were doing and just kept feeding mystery Scooby snacks to all the dogs.

The twist is that rhubarb, which she added to the treats, is toxic to dogs. She refused to believe this and doubled down when the comments section called her out on it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I was just thinking that it's a bad idea for a random stranger to just give away tons of dog treats bc you could accidentally hurt someone's dog with an ingredient they might not be able to take, or people would think you're gonna poison the dogs or something, and welp, she was doing both lol

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Or…and just hear me out here, her useless husband could tell his mother to either stop doing it or GTFO

Oh come on, you know the husband agrees with the MIL this is probably his way of forcing her to 'get over it'

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Rhubarb crisp is the bomb. You can pair it with ice cream, milk, or yogurt. It's one of my favourite foods ever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Hughlander posted:

Oh come on, you know the husband agrees with the MIL this is probably his way of forcing her to 'get over it'

The 'if she sees you naked it's just family who cares' was too loaded and ready, she's done this to other people before, maybe even her kids growing up? What is this??? What is she trying to catch???

What does she think is happening in the bathroom, besides bathroom activities??

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

What is this??? What is she trying to catch???

Masturbation. Guys jack it into toilets, girls use the Tub.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I feel like peanut butter is also an rear end in a top hat choice for giving random dogs because of the potential for some kid to get a doggy kiss and end up in the hospital with anaphylaxis.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well how else are you supposed to keep the bad spirits out?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

???

They're just little things people put on their wine glass at parties so they can tell them apart from others:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well how else are you supposed to keep the bad spirits out?

wine isn't spirits tho

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

MIL is just concerned about where all the butter is disappearing to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

wine isn't spirits tho

Exactly!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just scribble on the side with a sharpie like a real alcoholic

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The_Franz posted:

???

They're just little things people put on their wine glass at parties so they can tell them apart from others:

I think its because in Finland they use wooden butter knives, and he's concerned how a ditchwasher can destroy wood??

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

value-brand cereal posted:

I think its because in Finland they use wooden butter knives, and he's concerned how a ditchwasher can destroy wood??

Wooden spoons and such are fine, but whatever super-soft material this thing was made of just completely dissolved during the cycle.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

value-brand cereal posted:

A dishwasher probably wouldn’t have a hard time melting some particleboard down to components

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Wooden utensils are not fine unless you don't care about replacing them often. Nothing wood should go in the dishwasher or it will warp and crack.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The_Franz posted:

???

I'm not sure if this is a bit or not, but 3D Megadoodoo seems to really be leaning in to not understanding anything at all about food, utensils, etc anywhere outside of whatever place they live. It's hard to buy considering they've found their way to the internet.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bit or not, but 3D Megadoodoo seems to really be leaning in to not understanding anything at all about food, utensils, etc anywhere outside of whatever place they live. It's hard to buy considering they've found their way to the internet.

well, i've never heard of them either. i guess i don't drink enough wine because the idea of putting an ID tag on a wine glass never occurred to me at all

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Das Boo posted:

I honestly think the slipper idea is cute and friendly?
But I don't like shoes in my house, either. I switch to house slippers when I get in the door.
Yeah I’m on team cute Christmas slippers. I might get some me anyways just because of that post.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

hawowanlawow posted:

yes keep posting more proof that you have changed it is totally working

always like it when the lovely party uses the phrase "extend the olive branch"
I do not consent being used in such a manner.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Foo Diddley posted:

well, i've never heard of them either. i guess i don't drink enough wine because the idea of putting an ID tag on a wine glass never occurred to me at all

First drink advice I learned in college was "know where your glass has been" so having it out of my sight enough to need a label feels ick.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sure, but you put it on a table next to 3 other identical wine glasses and you've already had a few and it comes in handy.

edit: It's more of an adult dinner party thing (or holiday family dinner thing) and not college party. Not that there aren't creeps everywhere though.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 24, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Bruceski posted:

First drink advice I learned in college was "know where your glass has been" so having it out of my sight enough to need a label feels ick.

I don't think most people are worried about getting roofied at their family get-togethers lmao

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
found this interesting piece about oven racks

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

PiratePrentice posted:

I don't think most people are worried about getting roofied at their family get-togethers lmao

Counterpoint: your uncle is Nick Nolte*

*he’s cool he’ll share

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm thankful this thread exists

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

PiratePrentice posted:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Learned a lot! Thanks for posting!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

:nms::wtf::nms:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know lots of good poo poo should be coming the day after Thanksgiving but let's peek in the oven now.

AITA: Father in Law doesn't shut up, so I scolded him in front of everyone at Thanksgiving table.

quote:

So we're hosting Thanksgiving this year, we have probably 20 people here and my Father in Law basically has a non-stop stream of consciousness for nearly 2 hours straight. Everyone in the room is just doing a nodding thing and going uh-huh and looking bored as hell. My wife and I are frantically cooking and getting all the sides ready and trying to time everything, he's just talking and talking. And mind you, this dude is stone sober, and everyone else is drinking just hoping he shuts up. I'm also sober, wife is also sober.

We all sit down at the table, a couple people start talking, he interrupts and takes over and continues, everyone looks around at each other hoping someone will say something. So I take responsibility because we're hosting. "Harold, can you please just shut the gently caress up so other people can talk. We're all looking around bored as hell because you wont shut the gently caress up, so please, chill out for a minute!"

3 people clap, and a few other laugh and then Harold gets kind of emotional and leaves the room because he's embarrassed. Am I the rear end in a top hat? Should I have been a little less harsh? I feel awful, but this dude basically killed the whole vibe.

I like that people clapped.

AITA for not to my parents house for thanksgiving after they basically uninvited my wife ?

quote:

So for context I (26F) am married to my wife (28F). My parents are religious and did not attend my wedding. They don’t call her my wife and aren’t supportive of my relationship. But they are civil and nice to her (for the most part). It was a whole thing but I put it aside (as did my mom to keep the relationship but with boundaries). Anyways, my wife works at the 988 hotline and works holidays. I asked my mom if we could do dinner at 6pm rather than 2pm like usual. We didn’t have anything else to do except eat and socialize. Anyways, my mon said yes of course and we talked about it and confirmed about 2 more times. Fast forward to today (TG). My mom and I are texting and says see you at 1pm.

I reply and said I was confused, we agreed 6pm because my wife had to work. She never replied. My dad called me about 30 minutes later and said my mom dropped the ball and he understands why I’m hurt. He said I should just come and have my wife come later for leftovers. I told him no, he understood but my mom was mad and said it wasn’t intentional. I told her that it seemed like she changed the time to exclude my wife. She did this for Easter dinner as well and said we could eat at 5pm but changed it to noon. My family is mad and says I should just come later with or without my wife for leftover. I then again declined. AITA??

AITA for telling my daughter to get over something that happened years ago?

quote:

Hello, yes it's me again. Today is Thanksgiving in our house, and all of my kids have come home, including all my grandchildren. We were all sitting around talking and having a nice time though I could tell my adopted daughter (who is my 17 year old granddaughter, her parents were young and irresponsible) was a little distant.

We got onto the topic of the worst thing anyone had ever told us and my 17 year old immediately blurts out the time I told her Christmas was better before she was born.

I know how this looks but I'll give you context.

She was probably 12-13 at the time, and I was trying to get her to help me decorate my oldest daughters home for Christmas while she was in the hospital with a new baby. My youngest was very upset, kept complaining about how I promised she could take a nap as soon as she got home.

She told me she'd been up all night the night before because I had her babysit my daughters other child so I could get some rest. I told her this was part of being family and she needed to learn how to deal with it.

She started decorating the tree which is fine except she was doing the worst job I'd ever seen, so I asked her kindly if she could maybe put more effort in and she got upset, telling me she thought what she was doing was cute and if my other daughter didn't like it she could just have her boyfriend rearrange a few things.

This upset me, because she should just be willing to do it right when I ask, so I asked her to stop being difficult and just do what I asked to which she sighed loudly and said she was just trying to express how she felt about my criticism on something she worked hard on. It was just a tree.

I told her once more to take everything off and start all over again and she stood up and started bawling saying how no matter what she does it's never good enough. Obviously I got frustrated and told her to just go upstairs and go to bed and that she wouldn't be getting any christmas presents.

She cried even harder saying I was being unfair and that she did nothing wrong, so in the heat of the moment I said "God, christmas was so much better before you were born." she didn't speak to me for weeks.

Back to present time a few people give me a cold glare but majority of the table laughs it off thinking she was just joking. I pulled her aside and told her she needed to let go of the past and that it wasn't even that big of a deal and that she should learn to move on and let go like I had.

She must've told people what I said because her dad and his girlfriend came up to me later calling me an AH for telling her to get over it instead of apologizing and giving her 'closure'

So AITA or should my daughter learn to not take everything so seriously?

AITA for telling my family they can’t come back for Thanksgiving and not invite them for Christmas?

quote:

My family spent over $300 buying food, cleaning my home and inviting family over for Thanksgiving. Because so many of my family members currently have health issues, we took the task on ourselves, asking for little to no help. We were exhausted, but happy to do it.

With all of that said, many people took home “to go” plates yesterday, which did not leave us much for leftovers. Still… A-OK. Very happy with this and feeling blessed that everyone had a good time and left with full bellies.

So tell me.. when family comes back over the next day to get more food (and this was fine and expected) but invites even MORE people to get leftovers, which would mean nothing left for me and my kids.. Am I the a-hole for saying no more? Because apparently I am for setting boundaries and wanting, idk more than one meal out of the meal we purchased and cooked for my household.

Look, I know this sounds petty to some, and yes, we are blessed to have family and food, but I will not stand for being mistreated when my husband, daughter and myself put everything into providing something nice and basically get told it’s not enough.

With attitudes like that, I do not plan hosting Christmas this year.

Who the gently caress asks for leftovers when someone else cooks for you?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Nice rack :pervert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

I know how this looks but I'll give you context.

Few things are more satisfying than an "I know how this looks, but" that goes on to make the OP come across as worse than the mental picture I initially had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know lots of good poo poo should be coming the day after Thanksgiving but let's peek in the oven now.

AITA: Father in Law doesn't shut up, so I scolded him in front of everyone at Thanksgiving table.

I like that people clapped.

AITA for not to my parents house for thanksgiving after they basically uninvited my wife ?

AITA for telling my family they can’t come back for Thanksgiving and not invite them for Christmas?

Who the gently caress asks for leftovers when someone else cooks for you?

I can imagine saying something like "hey there's a lot of food left, mind if I take a plate for tomorrow?" but fuckin LMAO at turning up the day after with an entourage for more