Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Harbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

treat posted:

The Longest Yard

I always hated this one and Facing Worlds in UT since I don't care for sniping.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Lockout for Halo 2

Not for any particular reason (it is a good map though), just that it was apparently the most played map purely because it was the first one in the list.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pope Guilty posted:

I was thinking about how de_dust for Counterstrike and 2fort for Team Fortress Classic were like the archetypal, almost "default" maps for those games- there were at any time at least dozens of 24/7 servers for each, for example. What are some equivalent maps from other games?
I dunno if it's quite on the level of de_dust but back when I was playing TF2 it seemed like every other round was on cp_badlands

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yep but I personally prefer Facility and Bunker over it.

Complex :colbert:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yep but I personally prefer Facility and Bunker over it.

Or Archives. I too never really liked Temple

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
cp_badlands and pl_badwater were really the best of their respective gametypes. Not living up to the "bad" in their names at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I also remember playing a *ton* of Midway back in BF1942.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Temple stinks. Facility/Felicity is GOAT in the console space.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I also remember playing a *ton* of Midway back in BF1942.
I think Wake Island is kind of The Canon Battlefield Map on account of being the map in the original BF1942 demo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I never got why they called it that, always seemed pretty straightforward to me :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

The Edge for Quake 2.

I still remember where the railgun is.

You have to take a bath to get it. One of the brilliant things about its placement is that someone who is good with hand grenades can very effectively interdict picking up the railgun.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

I never got why they called it that, always seemed pretty straightforward to me :colbert:

Based? On what?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nuketown

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This Hubbardium is loving minging.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A.o.D. posted:

You have to take a bath to get it. One of the brilliant things about its placement is that someone who is good with hand grenades can very effectively interdict picking up the railgun.

Is that the map with the tunnel to the railgun? We played that one all the time in school

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

catlord posted:

I'm trying not to be excited for the Force Engine, but I kinda am. I started playing Dark Forces ages ago with the XL Engine, so I'm looking forward to maybe being able to go back to it in the near future.

It seems basically done at this point. I haven't actually like, played through the whole game with it, but I usually mess around for a while with each new release and I haven't run into any issues. I know i heard there were some crashes when the new renderer came out, but at least with quicksaves that won't be so devastating...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lucius says the only thing missing for v1.0 is squashing whatever bugs raise their heads. The Dark Forces support is Feature Complete, and typing that is a drat good feeling.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I'm just waiting for 1.0 really. I'm glad it seems like it's gonna be sooner rather than later.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Good news everyone! You can finally play hit computer game Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child on Windows 10 again!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/kiss-psycho-circus-the-nightmare-child-windows-10-patch

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You can't fool me. Kiss: Psycho Circus isn't real.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My cousin got a kiss psycho circus action figure for krissmas one year. It was pretty cool

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Kiss has always been funny to me. They have the wild costumes, a massive amount of merchandising and spinoff fiction where they are some sort of space gods, and the music itself is just gentle dad rock.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember reading a review of that in next generation and being just slightly curious what the gently caress it was like

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ponzicar posted:

Kiss has always been funny to me. They have the wild costumes, a massive amount of merchandising and spinoff fiction where they are some sort of space gods, and the music itself is just gentle dad rock.

Don't forget multiple Scooby-Doo crossovers

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Good soup! posted:

I remember reading a review of that in next generation and being just slightly curious what the gently caress it was like

I haven't played it since it came out on the Dreamcast, but in my memory it is blended together with Painkiller into one terrible mess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Good soup! posted:

It got decent reviews from what I remember, but I have fairly negative memories of it. I think it was some Todd McFarlane thing about a Dark Circus or something and it took itself way, way too serious. The circus stuff got super tedious by the end and I vaguely remember fighting some rocket launching clowns as the last band member that was pretty lame.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had the... demo? Not sure of Psycho Circus and it was the most generic 3rd person shooter with ugly art so guess Ill go play it again

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kiss wore out their welcome years before I was born.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Kiss wore out their welcome years before I was born.

I will defend their disco album to the death

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you would

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

I had the... demo? Not sure of Psycho Circus and it was the most generic 3rd person shooter with ugly art so guess Ill go play it again

It's first person, good 'ol LithTech.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

It's first person, good 'ol LithTech.

Ugh, I know it was FPS, no idea why I typed 3rd. I think I wanted to talk about how ugly that game was and got lost.

So ugly

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Good news everyone! You can finally play hit computer game Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child on Windows 10 again!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/kiss-psycho-circus-the-nightmare-child-windows-10-patch
This works pretty well, but I can’t coax it into working in Windowed Mode, no matter what other stuff I try and bolt on. Alas…

david_a posted:

It got decent reviews from what I remember, but I have fairly negative memories of it. I think it was some Todd McFarlane thing about a Dark Circus or something and it took itself way, way too serious. The circus stuff got super tedious by the end and I vaguely remember fighting some rocket launching clowns as the last band member that was pretty lame.
IIRC it was based on a McFarlane-led (because the band liked Spawn) comic book adaption of a visual theme the band was kicking around for the extravagant production on one of their tours, with the game being handled by a one-and-done studio mostly made up of of guys who left Ion Storm during Daikatana’s long percolation. This is because the comic book industry and the video game industry were both Hella Cray at the turn of the millennium.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Disposable Scud posted:

Temple stinks. Facility/Felicity is GOAT in the console space.

Yes, exactly! I never understood the love for Temple, don't know if that came across in my original post. I mean, Caves was baaaad, and maybe the only one worse than Temple.

I love Archives because it's so small. Facility and Complex are also A+.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Pope Guilty posted:

I was thinking about how de_dust for Counterstrike and 2fort for Team Fortress Classic were like the archetypal, almost "default" maps for those games- there were at any time at least dozens of 24/7 servers for each, for example. What are some equivalent maps from other games?

Veil for both Natural Selection & Natural Selection 2 (although these days, on Woozas / The Playground at least, Yana has arguably taken the top spot)

I'm finding it difficult to think of others but it's probably because there haven't been as many other multiplayer FPS games that have been as definitive for me in the same way

Non FPS - Garden of War in Warcraft 2 was like the only map ever played in multiplayer

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The Donut posted:

Veil for both Natural Selection & Natural Selection 2 (although these days, on Woozas / The Playground at least, Yana has arguably taken the top spot)

I'm finding it difficult to think of others but it's probably because there haven't been as many other multiplayer FPS games that have been as definitive for me in the same way

Non FPS - Garden of War in Warcraft 2 was like the only map ever played in multiplayer

I was trying to think of the overplayed maps for mods like NS, Zombie Panic!, Gloom, Fistful of Frags, Action Quake 2, Sven coop, etc. but can't remember the names of any of those maps even though I can still see their layouts pretty clearly in my head.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Having finally beat Doom 2016 and now I'm going back, trying to 100% it, I'm planning on getting Doom Eternal during the winter sale. I was going to get it now, but I figured I'd wait.

There is nothing like that kid-brain excitement of a Christmas videogame. :toot:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Donut posted:

lmao turn the sound up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFRDUTfL5Ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Facing worlds and deck17 were popular in UT.