Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Right or wrong arguing with someone on twitter is no different than rolling around in a pigsty expecting to come out clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
nobody expect to come out clean

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ill have u know that some people pay good money for the privilege of rolling around in a pigsty

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao that last comment :thurman:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/notfcknsoryu/status/1595570043416612864

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/11/21/company-behind-mods-delayed-ajax-programme-pays-80m-dividend

Another instant classic in Western procurement. What a shambles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh thank god we finally got a relief airdrop for our WW3 army.

"What is it Captain? More field rations, ammo, boots? Fuel for the tank?"

No Sargeant. Better than that. They've sent us the deluxe luxury field make up kits with foundation and type E eyeliners. Assemble the boys and girls, prepare to distribute the false eyelashes, it's makeover time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, the Ajax was outright theft, Westminster by letting it go is giving a green light. That said, maybe its time to admit the British Army is a glorified defense force at this point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the Ajax was outright theft, Westminster by letting it go is giving a green light. That said, maybe its time to admit the British Army is a glorified defense force at this point.

The primary purpose of most western militaries that aren't USA are not to defend or attack anything. They exist to facilitate the graft of taxpayer funds into private hands. If anything defence related is actually accomplished in the process consider that a blessing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

The primary purpose of most western militaries that aren't USA are not to defend or attack anything. They exist to facilitate the graft of taxpayer funds into private hands.

The UK military specifically did serve a support role for the US though, it rapidly declining is going to force the US to spread resources further. You can see this in Ukraine; 20-30 years ago, the British would have been a much more active player.

The West is just or was lucky I guess, that the Russians just couldn't figure out they were in a war.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

The UK military specifically did serve a support role for the US though, it rapidly declining is going to force the US to spread resources further. You can see this in Ukraine; 20-30 years ago, the British would have been a much more active player.

The West is just or was lucky I guess, that the Russians just couldn't figure out they were in a war.

Nobody is left apart from the USA who can competently fight a war on their own terms. Decay and/or erosion (I like the term erosion) is everywhere. Actually Desert Storm was a long time ago and maybe not even the USA. They have a lot of fancy gear though, so even if the USA is currently manned by paper soldiers that's still a big positive.

edit - nevermind

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Nov 24, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

VAC only has 475 case managers, with each managing 40 files or more. The system is having a really hard time since they privatized services to give to an insurance company which considering the risk pool is obviously loving up on purpose to profit. How did the government solve this problem?

A $570M contract with another insurance company to privatize case management.

Neoliberalism makes me sick. They could have hired case managers with that, it’s so loving obvious, but belief that the Free Market is more efficient is axiomatic in the face of all evidence even though we can see this is just a way to give away tax money.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Nobody is left apart from the USA who can competently fight a war on their own terms. Decay and/or erosion (I like the term erosion) is everywhere. Actually Desert Storm was a long time ago and maybe not even the USA. They have a lot of fancy gear though, so even if the USA is currently manned by paper soldiers that's still a big positive.

edit - nevermind

Yeah I don’t disagree, it is just the British specifically falling apart arguably even more rapidly than the US is in turn adding pressure.

The US couldn’t conduct a Desert Storm or a 2003 style invasion if it wanted to at this point. The US army specifically is spread far too thinly to be concentrated in a single location. Hell, the Marine Corps is practically being dismantled as a land based force and as I said the British could show up with more than a brigade if even that.

It is why the West desperately needs proxy forces at this point since someone has got to be the cannon fodder.

(Not great news for the Taiwanese)

——-

As far as East Asia goes too, I really wonder how much the South Korean/Japanese population would be up for a fight.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wonder how that got there

Boater Find Torpedo

So it being Thanksgiving I'm watching the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon, and lol at The Starfighters being the most horing version of Top Gun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
free torpedo! why would you report that, when else are you going to be able to get a torpedo

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/ysUjYAi0WcQ

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ardennes posted:

Yeah I don’t disagree, it is just the British specifically falling apart arguably even more rapidly than the US is in turn adding pressure.

The US couldn’t conduct a Desert Storm or a 2003 style invasion if it wanted to at this point. The US army specifically is spread far too thinly to be concentrated in a single location. Hell, the Marine Corps is practically being dismantled as a land based force and as I said the British could show up with more than a brigade if even that.

It is why the West desperately needs proxy forces at this point since someone has got to be the cannon fodder.

(Not great news for the Taiwanese)

——-

As far as East Asia goes too, I really wonder how much the South Korean/Japanese population would be up for a fight.

this post belongs in the auspole thread

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Maybe General Dynamics has intentionally sabotaged the Ajax so they can sell the similar Griffin II and III.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
during the pullout from Afghanistan there were a bunch of deranged Tory idiots suggesting that the UK should refuse to leave and just stay in Afghanistan unilaterally, without US support, using the Royal Navy's single dinky aircraft carrier as the offshore base for the operation

nevermind that Afghanistan is far enough inland that even reaching it with the carrier's aircraft would be annoying, there is actually a far funnier problem, which is that a significant portion of the carrier's fighter complement aren't even British, and are actually US aviators who are only nominally under Royal Navy authority. the ship technically gets to fly a Brit naval ensign but it can't really do anything without the explicit permission of the United States.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine that carrier was also fully dependant on US logistical support too.

The proud ship HMS I'm helping.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Someone once posted, either here or in one of the Ukraine threads a really cool diagram of a Soviet Motorized Rifle Regiment on the advance, with unit composition, arrival order and time spacing. I can't find it again. Does anyone have it?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Someone once posted, either here or in one of the Ukraine threads a really cool diagram of a Soviet Motorized Rifle Regiment on the advance, with unit composition, arrival order and time spacing. I can't find it again. Does anyone have it?

This is the low res version I forget where I scanned it from

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Awesome, thank you!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Awesome, thank you!

Seeing how it works as a system just makes the penny ante BTG thing look worse eh?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

This is the low res version I forget where I scanned it from

this is really cool

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i like how there are 67 comments, and there's only one that tangentially mentions it as an intended consequence for being a no-questions-asked american colony

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/LTsarcasm/status/1597783479559016453

wait a ww2 plant is literally the only plant producing high explosives in the us?

lol lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I would simply build a second HE plant

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What happens if one guy really needs a smoke at the wrong time?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

nimby's hate him!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don’t think that’s true, they might mean a very specific type of HE and not all HE.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DancingShade posted:

The primary purpose of most western militaries that aren't USA are not to defend or attack anything. They exist to facilitate the graft of taxpayer funds into private hands. If anything defence related is actually accomplished in the process consider that a blessing.

Don't be silly.

They're also there to crush internal dissent and revolt.

But other than that yeah, they're just a money laundering front. Like a pizzeria that only serves $50 cheese pizzas cash only.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don’t think that’s true, they might mean a very specific type of HE and not all HE.

Wiki says they make all the RDX/HMX in the USA and also that mines typically prepare their own AMFO.

genericnick posted:

What happens if one guy really needs a smoke at the wrong time?

Probably nothing

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/LTsarcasm/status/1597783479559016453

wait a ww2 plant is literally the only plant producing high explosives in the us?

lol lmao

this reminds me of the US doesn't even have a coal power plant that beats the top 100 in china when it comes to energy efficiency

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How much am I allowed to post about making high explosives ITT?

Different types have different processes, some warheads require complex pouring and casting, others you can just pack filler in.

As for smoking, most military explosives require a booster charge of a more sensitive explosive. It’s very difficult to set off most military explosives as they need to withstand the shock of firing, transport, years of storage etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

How much am I allowed to post about making high explosives ITT?

Different types have different processes, some warheads require complex pouring and casting, others you can just pack filler in.

As for smoking, most military explosives require a booster charge of a more sensitive explosive. It’s very difficult to set off most military explosives as they need to withstand the shock of firing, transport, years of storage etc.

what i thought military shells were full of mercury fulminate and if you dropped one you exploded

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

what if we broke it up into a million tiny little pieces somehow and then planted each piece in order to grow new plants

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I used to smoke while handling c4 regularly because I am extremely irresponsible

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I used to smoke while handling c4 regularly because I am extremely irresponsible

dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

You can light C4 on fire without it going off.