Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

yeah, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also the Gaunt's Ghosts books, where Gaunt and his handpicked team spent more than a year on a chaos corrupted world and come back clean. (Seriously traumatized, but clean, vouched for by the Inquisition).

They also got arrested, and almost executed, and avoided that for two reasons:
1. The lord-general who sent them there spent every last ounce of his influence to get them free.
2. A high-ranking inquisitor took a personal interest and despite initially leaning towards execution just to make sure ultimately backed the general because he got convinced that the unique flora of the marshlands in Chaos-occupied world might have special qualities that allow people to resist chaos taint better.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Was this dude known about at all before? He isn’t in the companion art montage and I don’t think I’ve seen an Inquisition companion mentioned anywhere else.

Edit: nm I think he actually is in the art, he just looks noticeably different.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1595795059387305984

Anno fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 24, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm just happy that he's a sanctioned psyker- this way I can happily bench/purge the unsanctioned human time bomb at soonest opportunity.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

He looks about the same, just that the lightning he's firing off in the title art makes his robes look purple rather than red.

Edit: So we know the following:

• Theodora von Valancius - last seen pointing her ship at some Necrontyr ruins that were lying about in space. A Rogue Trader herself, her premature death may mean our character gets a promotion via dead lady's shoes.
  • Abelard Werserian - Theodora's Seneschal, a cross between an accountant, valet and a mob 'made man' kneecapper.
  • Idira Tlass - an (unsanctioned) psyker, apparently in service to Theodora if the animatic trailer is to be trusted.
  • Pasqal Haneumann - an Adeptus Mechanicus Magos Explorator, who went AWOL. Chasing after a message from his old teacher. Characters like him can be combat-monsters in the TTRPG as they can be made of mostly sawblades-on-arms.
  • Cassia Orsellio - Navigator, required to use warp jumps at a reasonable/reliable speed and to not get stuck in the Warp and die. Subject of limited edition Waifu Statue.
  • Sister Argenta - Errant Sister of Battle, militant arm of the Imperial Church.
  • Yrliet Lanaevyss - Eldar Aeldari Ranger. Good thing we won't have anyone on board who's job is to be angry about aliens-
  • Heinrix van Calox - an Ordo Xenos Interrogator/hall monitor/buzzkill. His job is to be angry about aliens and to snitch on us. A Sanctioned Psyker, which means his head is less likely to explode.

Yet to be introduced: Space Wolves Space Marine Space Space.

What we want: A Kroot mercenary, and/or an Ork Freebooter/Bloodaxe mercenary.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 1, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And now the man who will look upon you with stern disapproval as you do all those fun things the Imperium of Man calls "heretical" and "Chaos-tainted".

https://t.co/y7dGNv4IlU

edit: They should have just replaced the description with "Regil in the Warhammer 40K Universe". I mean, if you're old enough to remember the Morrigan Disapproves meme, you're going to see it back in 2023.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 24, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirFozzie posted:

"Regill in the Warhammer 40K Universe"

:syoon: I can only hope!

Unless he turns out to be a Radical, of course. In which case I will deal with him personally.

And by 'personally', I mean 'send waves of armsmen against him until he hits his kill counter' :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mordja posted:

Actually, Squats are back! In pog form!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

CommissarMega posted:

:syoon: I can only hope!

Unless he turns out to be a Radical, of course. In which case I will deal with him personally.

And by 'personally', I mean 'send waves of armsmen against him until he hits his kill counter' :v:

what we hope for: Regil 40K
What we might get: Hulrun 2.0

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Not only an Inquisitor narc but an ordos xenos one, the worst kind....

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

He’s going to try to make us do an Exterminatus,isn’t he

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Question is how high ranking he is and if it would cause too much of an Inquisitorial stink if a few airlocks would "malfunction" in his general area?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CommunityEdition posted:

He’s going to try to make us do an Exterminatus,isn’t he

Gosh I hope so :unsmigghh:

That said, as a Puritan of the Ordo Xenos, he shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's Ordo Malleus Radicals you need to watch out for.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Question is how high ranking he is and if it would cause too much of an Inquisitorial stink if a few airlocks would "malfunction" in his general area?

Interrogators are a step right below Inquisitor, and spacing him might bring the wrath of his patron down on your Trader House. On one hand, much of a Rogue Trader's hard power lies with the Trader, their retinue and most of all, their starship, and a lone Interrogator (or even Inquisitor) and friends will have a very hard time facing all of that directly. On the other hand, the Trader's soft assets (finances, noble contacts and the like) are all contained within the Imperium's institutions proper, and those are definitely within reach of the Inquisition- IIRC, the tabletop game even mentions that if your party rolls badly on acquiring goods, it should be spun as the Inquisition being involved somehow, as opposed to your super-wealthy characters suddenly being unable to purchase a lasgun or something.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Gosh I hope so :unsmigghh:

That said, as a Puritan of the Ordo Xenos, he shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's Ordo Malleus Radicals you need to watch out for.
"Oh that emancipated lady dressed in ripped robes, chains and holy scriptures? Don´t worry about her, she is my...assistant, she´s been having a bad cold."

quote:

Interrogators are a step right below Inquisitor, and spacing him might bring the wrath of his patron down on your Trader House. On one hand, much of a Rogue Trader's hard power lies with the Trader, their retinue and most of all, their starship, and a lone Interrogator (or even Inquisitor) and friends will have a very hard time facing all of that directly. On the other hand, the Trader's soft assets (finances, noble contacts and the like) are all contained within the Imperium's institutions proper, and those are definitely within reach of the Inquisition- IIRC, the tabletop game even mentions that if your party rolls badly on acquiring goods, it should be spun as the Inquisition being involved somehow, as opposed to your super-wealthy characters suddenly being unable to purchase a lasgun or something.
True enough, it might even be fun if we can make him sputter and complain impotently while we are off beyond the periphery of the Imperium, doing shady deals and hitting on aliens (in all the right ways :wink:)

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Sylphosaurus posted:

"Oh that emancipated lady dressed in ripped robes, chains and holy scriptures? Don´t worry about her, she is my...assistant, she´s been having a bad cold."

I'm guessing you mean "emaciated", not "emancipated".

Funnier that way tho.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Curious, how powerful are Rogue Trader ships compared to, say, the Imperial Navy? I know that any ship capable of interstellar travel is a Big Deal(tm) but are they on par with cruisers or more in line with a destroyer or frigate? I assume they're not on the same tier as Battleships or something like a Battle Bardge.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Curious, how powerful are Rogue Trader ships compared to, say, the Imperial Navy? I know that any ship capable of interstellar travel is a Big Deal(tm) but are they on par with cruisers or more in line with a destroyer or frigate? I assume they're not on the same tier as Battleships or something like a Battle Bardge.

Tends to vary based on how big of a Rogue Trader Dynasty it is, but average is generally going to be at least Cruiser level

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Warden posted:

I'm guessing you mean "emaciated", not "emancipated".

Funnier that way tho.
loving phone autocorrect but I won´t edit it to erase my shame.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Skippy McPants posted:

Rogue Traders can have any and all the ships they can afford. Richest NPC families own literal fleets of ships and rule multiple systems.
Some Rogue traders have even acquired alien vessels.

On RPG side, the player group build their starting ship. Taking cheaper/smaller ship means the family is a rich upstart family. Taking a decked out Battlecruiser means the family is old and on hard times. In game terms you have split between Ship Points and Profit Factor. First is used to buy hull and all components, latter is (mainly) used to acquire rare/illegal items/weapons.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Do we have any kind of information on what kind of ship we´ll get in Rogue Trader or will we get to choose between different versions?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

At the end of the day though, if the Imperial Navy decides any particular rogue trader or rogue trader dynasty(ies) need removing, it's game over, though. Unless you do something like what Severus XXIII did and prepare for years and secede in the event of a massive ork Waaagh that also occupies the Imperium, there's no way a rogue trader could stand up to the Imperium at large. Although it might take years before they finally get around to crushing you.

Actually the Severan Dominate -- the secessionist worlds of Duke Severus -- would be a good faction for this game. It's also in the Calixis Sector, where the Koronus Expanse this game is set takes place. The Dominate aren't Chaos-aligned, still technically worship the Emperor, but they don't recognize Terra's authority and instead listen to their Duke alone. They're also willing to cut deals with drukhari, ignore Chaos to allow Chaos to strike at Imperial weakpoints, trade with T'au and other xenos, and so on. It might provide an interesting contrast to the Imperium in a way.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 24, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Ordo Xenos has Eisenhorn, Ravenor, and Amberley Vail. I won't lie and say they're all models of good decisionmaking, but they've all shown a lot of flexibility that a player character should appreciate.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Do we have any kind of information on what kind of ship we´ll get in Rogue Trader or will we get to choose between different versions?

There's a pre-order bonus of a Falchion-class frigate as a "Unique Ship Model", so we'll probably get to choose in some capacity.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah Ordo Hereticus and also the (unrelated) Adepta Sororitas you want to avoid. They tend to be the absolute psychos who will gleefully torch people for being insufficiently pious. Ordo Xenos, if anything, can be somewhat chill, as they might have xenos contacts in their effort to thwart greater xenos threats (e.g. working with aeldari to smoke drukhari).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lassitude posted:

At the end of the day though, if the Imperial Navy decides any particular rogue trader or rogue trader dynasty(ies) need removing, it's game over, though. Unless you do something like what Severus XXIII did and prepare for years and secede in the event of a massive ork Waaagh that also occupies the Imperium, there's no way a rogue trader could stand up to the Imperium at large. Although it might take years before they finally get around to crushing you.

Actually the Severan Dominate -- the secessionist worlds of Duke Severus -- would be a good faction for this game. It's also in the Calixis Sector, where the Koronus Expanse this game is set takes place. The Dominate aren't Chaos-aligned, still technically worship the Emperor, but they don't recognize Terra's authority and instead listen to their Duke alone. They're also willing to cut deals with drukhari, ignore Chaos to allow Chaos to strike at Imperial weakpoints, trade with T'au and other xenos, and so on. It might provide an interesting contrast to the Imperium in a way.

Reading the articles on him and his Severan Dominate, let's NOT go working or making deals with the guy perfectly happy to employ a Dark Eldar Kabal to help him take his fiefdom. Given, you know, what kind of things they would have wanted for that that he was fine giving them. :stonk:

Seriously, the Imperium may be terrible but I'll still take it over someone extensively working with Drukhari.

VVV: Glancing into that it also looks extremely dumb, but I will note it wasn't some sanctioned operation: It was a conspiracy of extreme Radical Inquisitors (Xanthites, which honestly seems bizarre - they couldn't have come up with a similar Ordo Xenos faction?) and a few (3 out of 12) High Lords that mostly got smoked by more mainstream Inquisitors and Custodes. Though yes, some did manage to sneak to Commorragh and make an unspecified deal. I'll secondarily note that this seems to have taken place after Guilliman had assumed regency, so those High Lords REALLY didn't have the authority to do this.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 24, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

To be fair the Imperium also worked with the drukhari recently in an effort to repair the Golden Throne.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
As a Rogue Trader it's easy enough to not be a heretic or summon daemons or w/e, but if I want some weird Eldar bling or to hang out with Necrons some dweeb who's all "You gotta abhor the xenos Man should be master of the cosmos" is the last dude I wanna hang out with

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

To be fair the Imperium also worked with the drukhari recently in an effort to repair the Golden Throne.

That was just a single radical inquisitor.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was just a single radical inquisitor.

That conspiracy included several High Lords of Terra, especially the Fabricator General

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Radical Ordo Xenos who can work with alien races well (while not being horribly manipulated), are one of the more interesting parts of the Inquisition.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Radical Ordo Xenos who can work with alien races well (while not being horribly manipulated), are one of the more interesting parts of the Inquisition.

You don't even have to be that radical. As long as you aren't a monodominant, a few deals with Xenos in extremis are normal.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I hope he’s a Libracarian. That seems like the recipe for maximum drama in a Rogue Trader outfit, without actually imploding. (I think a Monodominant would just plain not work.)

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lord Koth posted:

VVV: Glancing into that it also looks extremely dumb, but I will note it wasn't some sanctioned operation: It was a conspiracy of extreme Radical Inquisitors (Xanthites, which honestly seems bizarre - they couldn't have come up with a similar Ordo Xenos faction?) and a few (3 out of 12) High Lords that mostly got smoked by more mainstream Inquisitors and Custodes. Though yes, some did manage to sneak to Commorragh and make an unspecified deal. I'll secondarily note that this seems to have taken place after Guilliman had assumed regency, so those High Lords REALLY didn't have the authority to do this.

There were a bunch of Adeptus Custodes involved at the end as well, and until the inevitable betrayal was revealed they were 100% down with sacrificing entire worlds to the drukhari in exchange for their help. In the 'new' 40k especially, the Imperium is way more liberal about associating with xenos. Inquisitor Rostov running around with a xenos as a part of his retinue in public makes me think the rogue trader should be able to get away with virtually any xenos as a viable companion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wanna meet the Trader that has a pet Tyranid

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

best I can do is that highly heretical xenos suit made from Tyranid parts

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
A Trader who looks at a 4th generation genestealer hybrid and thinks "I can fix them" is disturbingly plausible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How about a Genestealer-Patriarch / Rogue Trader? They've actually realised what happens to the cult when the hive fleet arrives so they've decided to take the show on the road.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Lone Badger posted:

How about a Genestealer-Patriarch / Rogue Trader? They've actually realised what happens to the cult when the hive fleet arrives so they've decided to take the show on the road.

A Genestealer cult who decides to take the fight to a Hive fleet.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

A Trader who looks at a 4th generation genestealer hybrid and thinks "I can fix them" is disturbingly plausible.

I mean, wouldn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No.