Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I managed to snag this combat knife on my Zealot and it has been absolutely ridiculous. From testing in the meat grinder, it seems like the bleeding counts as a hit and therefore applies itself. I could tap a mauler once and it would ramp up to 30 damage per tick, staying up and bypassing armor until it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

fadam posted:

What's the fastest way to level? Is there a mission that's better than just quickplay?

Repair and munitions are somewhat slow compared to water filter and assassinations, but generally it's all the same. Running level 2 missions tends to have faster gain than 3 because they run faster, according to some stats upthread. But really there's only 30 levels and you can hit 15 within a couple days of casual play

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 25, 2022

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

fadam posted:

What's the fastest way to level? Is there a mission that's better than just quickplay?

For the effort you put in, lower difficulties are better than high for XP. But it doesn't matter. You'll level up eventually.

Whats actually limited is the Rare Gear shop becomes available at level 11, along with its 5 weekly quests that give you its special currency. Getting that rolling is what you really want.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I'd also like to know if character level makes a difference in that regard.

Other than that, the only way to objectively improve your character is by buying higher-rated weapons at the Armoury Exchange, right? And I guess weapons can be upgraded at the Shrine of the Omnimessiah? Basic questions, but I'm still figuring things out

e: the shrine is saying I need 50 ??? (looks like a crate) to consecrate my green weapon

The power levelling system is not the same as Vermintide 2. Gaining character levels gives you access to higher power levelled items in the store and Emperor rewards, as well as unlocking traits and weapon type availability ( can't get the Eviscerater at level 8, you gotta be 12 to be able to buy it in the store ).
Feasibly you could miss that the store exists, never get an Emperor's gift, hit level 30 with you starter weapons and when you finally hit level 30 and find the store you're able to buy power level 400+ gear.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Diephoon posted:

I was using a dueling saber and the dodge got nerfed, so I switched to knife and the dodge got nerfed. Is there anyone using an "agility" weapon that still feels agile or should I just stick to force/chain sword on my psyker now?

Wasn't it buffed with the latest patch?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SpacePope posted:

Wasn't it buffed with the latest patch?

Sure doesn't feel like it. I have to wait a noticably longer time between dodges with dagger now. Did they buff the distance/iframes or something? All I know is it doesn't feel useful for scooting around now but that's what they want I suppose.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Endless horde seems to have been cranked up or something. It’s absolutely nuts even only in 3* missions.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Diephoon posted:

Sure doesn't feel like it. I have to wait a noticably longer time between dodges with dagger now. Did they buff the distance/iframes or something? All I know is it doesn't feel useful for scooting around now but that's what they want I suppose.

Their goal I believe was to stop endless dodge kiting, so to compensate for making it a longer cd between dodges they improved the dodges on the "agile" weapons, and Zealot in general.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That makes sense, it was almost impossible to get hit if you were mashing space.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got 45x Diamantine two missions in a row on diff 3, so shouldn't be too hard to get what's needed for the upgrades.

Edit: I am so sick of Endless Horde

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 25, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I see that there are guns of different rarities, and I see that there are bar graphs that say "this gun has more or less damage relative to other guns of its type", but what does the item score mean? Is a gun you like going to become obsolete purely because it's too low level?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Apparently the number is the budget for all the poo poo on the weapon, including blessings or traits or whatever. So a lower level white can dlbe better because it has better usage of its budget. I dont know how to evaluate this from the loadout screen with these silly bars

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I see that there are guns of different rarities, and I see that there are bar graphs that say "this gun has more or less damage relative to other guns of its type", but what does the item score mean? Is a gun you like going to become obsolete purely because it's too low level?

Item score is the total amount of points that can be allocated between the bars/stats of a weapon. As for obsolescence, you generally don’t want to care too much about your gear in these games until you hit X level of gear score which this time around seems like 500 ideally but more realistically like 430-ish is where I’m having real trouble getting past with store blues.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm not sure it goes all the way to 500 atm. I've got an orange shovel I bought at level 30, and it's just at 467.
For level 30, it seems that blues hover slightly above 400, purples around 425-430, and orange ones are around 460+

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'm not sure it goes all the way to 500 atm. I've got an orange shovel I bought at level 30, and it's just at 467.
For level 30, it seems that blues hover slightly above 400, purples around 425-430, and orange ones are around 460+

Yeah you can’t upgrade to reds yet so I assume the cap is somewhere around that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

highest Ive seen in the weekly currency shop is 480, but I don't think 500 would be enough to max out every bar

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is the cap 30 or 35? Guess I assumed it was 35.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Is the cap 30 or 35? Guess I assumed it was 35.

Class levels? 30.

Flavahbeast posted:

highest Ive seen in the weekly currency shop is 480, but I don't think 500 would be enough to max out every bar

Very much doubt you’ll ever have more than a bar or two maxed on a weapon, maybe not even any.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Every cutscene is exactly the same:

"OY! WE DON'T BE TRUSTIN YAH, DO MORE MISSIONS AND WE STILL WON'T TRUST YAH THEN!"

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well, didn’t think the various chainsaw on a stick weapons could be beat for satisfaction but oh man the thunder hammer. The sound and impact are so satisfying. Ragdolling corpses at high velocity. I don’t think it’s a better weapon mechanically, it’s slow when the hordes are on you, but I also don’t care!

Got the bloody mutant dash penance for the zealot without even trying to. I don’t even know what exactly you were supposed to do in the end. Whatever, it’s done.

The store has now got outfits for coins! All the zealot skins seem drab and dull. Let us choose the primary outfit colours you cowards, I demand a neon pink zealot.

tl;dr Thunder hammer goes POW

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Every cutscene is exactly the same:

"OY! WE DON'T BE TRUSTIN YAH, DO MORE MISSIONS AND WE STILL WON'T TRUST YAH THEN!"

Outside of the gnarly Servitor torso/hologram cutscene I have forgotten every cutscene the moment I’ve seen it. I don’t get what purpose they’re serving.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Brief fun glimpses of weird 40k people while progressing through the levels.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Brief fun glimpses of weird 40k people while progressing through the levels.

Look at awl deez guyz, we don trust em eithah.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I mean they could have just not done any cutscenes like Vermintide 2 :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I would honestly probably prefer that, the cutscenes have all been pretty garbage so far.
Like, not a single one of the main characters are interesting.

Also, a question about the level 30 cutscene, for those that have seen it: Were we supposed to know who the other person there was?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I would honestly probably prefer that, the cutscenes have all been pretty garbage so far.

Also, a question about the level 30 cutscene, for those that have seen it: Were we supposed to know who the other person there was?

Nope! Total rando.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Sahmwahn dat yah shudn't've trusted!

Also, I'm going to play this game for like 1k hours and I'm never ever ever going to get the penance for getting through a mission without getting hit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

Nope! Total rando.

Figures, thought it was supposed to be Zola for a second, but that didn't make any sense.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The leveling story is pretty clearly just establishing you as a full member of the warband to prepare for whatever the seasonal story is gonna do but it is pretty lame - though I guess fairly reasonable in universe - that it’s just six cutscenes of “Go prove yourself. No, more, you dork.”

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Characters I can remember:

Zola, sits around on the ship doing nothing all day
Captain Price, see above
The Pilot who gets a cutscene where nothing happens
Machine person who gets a cutscene where nothing happens
Hellraiser torso hologram
The one recruit who looks understandably freaked out by the person in charge of the ship being a hellraiser torso
The unlucky enemy captain who is cursed to have his train delayed and be killed a hundred thousand times

Did I miss anyone from this nuanced cast

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I don't think you're going to go hey we got Dave Abnett onboard if the ultimate story is those 6 cutscenes ( and expect to get away with it ).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

almost like they don't want to show their full story before the official launch day.

Naw, couldn't be.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m betting that’s it unless they launch their first ‘season’ on the 30th.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of the enemy captain, I'm suspecting they're using dev names to generate his name every time. Recognizing a lot of Scandinavian ones.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of the enemy captain, I'm suspecting they're using dev names to generate his name every time. Recognizing a lot of Scandinavian ones.

Still giggling about Sigurd Dickrot.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find that as a zealot, it’s more valuable for me to close distance with the pack of gunners than it is for me to wail on poxwalkers. Forcing the ranged line to put their guns away is so valuable. let the veterans delete the zombies with their shovels and then have them scratch my back to clear out the remainders.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they all keep falling for the same assassination ploy

you'd think they'd just take a bus

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they all keep falling for the same assassination ploy

you'd think they'd just take a bus

Or like, move after the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which weapon you zealots using to get abhor the mutant? I'm having the worst luck with this penance.