Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Vasler posted:

I've seen people talk about using accumulators to power distant worlds, but how does that work? As far as I can tell, they need to be manually picked up, which seems like a thorn in the side for automation.

Energy exchangers can drain and fill accumulators from a belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It was a fun novelty to ship power from a tidally locked planet covered in solar panels elsewhere with accumulators.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah exactly, it's a fun novelty to do once but there's no reason not to use 2H rods at that stage, and there's so many ways your energy distro network can get hosed and turn off a whole planet.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I have so, so much hydrogen and deuterium that I've just been making deuterium rods and shipping them to remote outposts for power.

It's funny and I have no idea how this happened, but I went from a chronic overproduction of both hydrogen and deuterium to having 0 of both somehow (I guess when I started making green cubes and deuterium?) to having all storages maxxed out again (put a poo poo ton of gas giant collectors on my ice giant and another gas giant).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Casimir Crystals ate all your hydrogen

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It’s not an exaggeration to say that the primary challenge in the game is handling how hydrogen changes across the stages of the game

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Automate orbital collectors and cover a gas giant with 40 every time you see a new one. I haven't had issues with hydrogen or deuterium in a long time, the only consideration is establishing priority for things like oil refinement so that waste hydrogen is being used ahead of collector hydrogen.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

totalnewbie posted:

Hydrogen burns into water but also has high NOx formation so you're asking for a smoggy water world.

Yeah I think I'm going to require a planetary-orbital construction layer so I can put some fuckoff huge mirrors in geosync to get more heat from insolation, since just burning the hydrogen isn't going to release enough heat to keep all that water as vapor and make the atmosphere angrier.

Table stakes are just casually scraping off entire biospheres, including several types with planet-wide complex multicellular life, as a sort of side chore to our main goal of permanently altering the visible constellations for billions of planets so I'll be a little disappointed if we don't get some kind of pollution effects eventually.

zoux posted:

Yeah exactly, it's a fun novelty to do once but there's no reason not to use 2H rods at that stage, and there's so many ways your energy distro network can get hosed and turn off a whole planet.

My deepest playthrough ran a couple dozen mining-outpost worlds off of a single 150% wind planet with solar panels shoved into every possible gap, except for the space where the only production installation for uncharged Accumulators that hooks up to logistics exists. The feed for both returning and new Accumulators runs through the same Splitter, which will empty the entire IP logistics network of empties before it accepts a single new-manufacture. It ran for over 100 hours, gradually growing, and never once jammed up.

The only other place in the entire factory I build uncharged Accumulators, as a matter of course, is in the part of my mall which feeds them into chargers and then the charged units into on-demand gas collector manufacture. Those are never connected to logistics, which is the really important part: single point of input to the central charging installation. If your capacity expands such that you need more than a four-stacked blue belt in order to keep up with all the colonies, you can build another charging installation which only takes used empties.

It's very much the kind of system where, if you've got the perfected infrastructure to remotely power mining and logistics on that scale you could probably have been using Deuterium Rods, and surely using Hydrogen Rods, but it's cool as gently caress, I already have all the blueprints saved, including one-click options for a new-settlement IP tower that requests warpers and accumulators as soon as it goes down, and a block of dischargers which just need to be hooked in by belt, and personally I'm a "look at all those ships flying around" maximalist.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The only proper way is to use future warp tech and artificial suns to power your ships to deliver coal to distant worlds to power the power plants.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am lazy and want to use a blueprint for my dyson sphere but all of the blueprints are for when you have full stress coverage researched which will take me a while longer to get to. Is there a way to apply a blueprint to just the layers I've researched so far? Is it even worth doing before I can get full coverage?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would be very surprised if you have the infrastructure to support sphere rockets if you haven't maxxed out your research yet. But you don't really need a BP if you are just building a 10 degree sphere

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I probably don't but I still want to dabble because I haven't done it yet and am getting bored with the game. Thanks I'll try to make my own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh definitely make your own if you haven't done it before, if nothing else you'll know how great it is to be able to bp spheres now.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

zoux posted:

Casimir Crystals ate all your hydrogen

Alas, I haven't even started making these yet :( I'm just about to but I need to solve the organic crystal problem. And for that I need to once again figure out how these dang refineries and chem plants work.

I really don't like oil refining in this game, my poor brain breaks.

Edit:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Automate orbital collectors and cover a gas giant with 40 every time you see a new one. I haven't had issues with hydrogen or deuterium in a long time, the only consideration is establishing priority for things like oil refinement so that waste hydrogen is being used ahead of collector hydrogen.

Is there a way to automate production of these things (the orbital collectors)? I've been manually collecting and planting down accumulators, which is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 16, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think a lot of you guys don't know about the concept of a mall. That's the first thing you build towards, is a beginners mall that makes everything you can unlock at blue, and another that makes everything you can unlock at yellow, and finally at green.

For a beginners mall you need five lines one end should input steel, coils, boards, stone and gears. On the other end run in , glass and steel. You can orient yoru assemblers such that as they no longer need one ingredient, you can pipe in another ingredient to take it's place. (basically, you're going to end up dropping gears for glass, iron for steel, and I like to run stone in from this side as well) But you set that up, walk away for 15 minutes and come back and you never have to make a basic building by hand ever again.

For more complicated malls, I just steal someones:
I use this one for Yellow but I have my own design for my first mall, and it's the first thing I build towards after I have a rudimentary belt/sorter/science deal going.

Long story short: everything should be automated. Especially big and slow things like orbital collectors, because you spend 45 minutes loving around with your ore supply and turn around and bang, you got 50 of the motherfuckers.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vasler posted:

Alas, I haven't even started making these yet :( I'm just about to but I need to solve the organic crystal problem. And for that I need to once again figure out how these dang refineries and chem plants work.

I really don't like oil refining in this game, my poor brain breaks.

Edit:

Is there a way to automate production of these things (the orbital collectors)? I've been manually collecting and planting down accumulators, which is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Automate accumulators, then build a bunch of energy exchangers and line them up so that empty accumulators feed in from one belt and charged ones are output on another. A small setup produces enough to last an entire playthrough, every other step is relatively straightforward even if it takes a lot of materials to go from planetary stations > interplanetary stations > collectors.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Ohh neat, I had no idea this was even possible!

What do I set my energy exchangers to do to make this possible?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Vasler posted:

Ohh neat, I had no idea this was even possible!

What do I set my energy exchangers to do to make this possible?

I think they're automatically set to discharge energy from full accumulators so you might have to switch it to charging them instead. It's also one of the few buildings where you have to feed belts into it directly instead of using feeders, so you'll need to do a splitter manifold like this for the empty accumulators.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

In my last game, my late game strategy was to have each planet take in raw ores and have everything locally built on that planet. So my Dyson rockets planet made everything locally, my antimatter planet, etc.

With blueprints it’s easy enough to build out all steps of production as needed.

The reason I liked it was that it was easier to see bottlenecks on a planet basis than cluster wide. I don’t use any mods that might make that stuff more visible. In previous games I would have problems where I didn’t have enough of something (green motors) but not know what was bottlenecked or what I was choking off. On a planet wide basis I could be sure I never choked my power production as long as I kept the ore flowing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I need a mod that dynamically adds a hump to a belt if I try to build across another belt so that I don't have to keep half-building, deleting two segments, and re-building it to get that half-height riser.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blueprint it

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I haven't quite reached white science yet but I'm building a dyson ring! I can't build an actual sphere yet :(

I do have a couple questions about some mechanics:

1. Generating antimatter seems to use a ton of power. At the same time, building the sphere reduces the power I can syphon from the sphere itself. Should I be building a poo poo ton of fusion plants or something?

2. Do you guys proliferate oil? It seems to me like that might be useful but I haven't really tried proliferating raw ingredients most of the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have a shitton of fusion plants and am still starved for power :sigh:

I won't go out of my way to proliferate oil since I have a shitton of it on my starting planet but if there's another proliferator nearby I'll probably split off the line to spray the oil too because fuggit why not.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am playing again, and man is that intermediate stage where you just got logistics towers but don't have the power generation to fully take advantage of them is massively annoying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you guys use Satellite Stations at all

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

zoux posted:

All over the place. Once they're automated the only time I'll use tesla towers is if there's an old blueprint where I haven't replaced them with satellite stations instead.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

All over the place. Once they're automated the only time I'll use tesla towers is if there's an old blueprint where I haven't replaced them with satellite stations instead.

Same, or if there’s some tiny area that’s not worth using a whole station to power (like a single sorter in the middle of a factory).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zoux posted:

Nope. Tesla towers are essentially free and the bigger ones draw power.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They’re like 720kW though is that really worth it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re like 720kW though is that really worth it?

720kW (aka 0.72MW) is inconsequential vs the power generated by a single artificial star (72MW, which makes the math easy :unsmith: ).

It’s 1% of a single Star, or around 5% of a single fusion power plant (15MW production). Well worth it when you don’t make to make/place Teslas all over the place.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Only thing is that tesla towers can be placed for "free" between some buildings.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I cant fathom caring more about efficiency than making things less a pain in the rear end

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Vasler posted:

2. Do you guys proliferate oil? It seems to me like that might be useful but I haven't really tried proliferating raw ingredients most of the time.

Spray everything! Putting sprayers into legacy installations (which is what all my oil setups are until I finally hit the need to bring in crude from offworld) isn't a super high priority but you've only got one crude input per refinery bank so I try to make a point of it once I've got that blue drink in circulation, slightly extending its useful lifetime so I can put off actually fixing it longer.

zoux posted:

I want most of my blueprints to be something I can lay down at any stage of the game and use the upgrade/downgrade tool to set it to what I've got on me at the time, and all of my late-game tower block stuff is made out of several of these setups laid next to each other, so my answer to this is "anytime I've got them on demand and I'm not just assembling something from blueprint parts." They're really too expensive for the area they provide, if you ask me, since tesla towers are one of the cheapest buildings possible, but what's even the point of DSP if you're not making More?!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Control Volume posted:

I cant fathom caring more about efficiency than making things less a pain in the rear end

Exactly. At some point your own attention and effort becomes a resource that needs to be considered, especially late game where that additional 20 minutes you spend getting something exactly right could be spent strip mining and entire planet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Icon Of Sin posted:

Well worth it when you don’t make to make/place Teslas all over the place.
By the time it’s even a question, I’m building just about everything via blueprint.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

Yes, because I’d rather carry around a stack of 100 substations than however many stacks of the power pole it would take to replicate their power coverage. Yes they are worth the power cost. It’s ultimately a drop in the bucket power wise.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I started putting sprayers on everything as soon as they unlocked and as the game has progressed it's been pretty easy to branch off the existing infrastructure for each new bit of a factory. When I got mk2 and then later mk3 I just unplugged the belt feeding mk1s in at the beginning and plugged the new sprayer in and figured it'd eventually work itself through all the mk1 stuff.

Much later any manufacturing world just requests mk3 spray in the first ils and I feed the whole planet off of that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I’ve tried using logistics bots at every possible chance, and semi-forgoing ILS. I was also feeling semi-challenged by one of you who who mentioned something about only ever needing ore in the front of a factory system…so I’ve got an ILS bringing all the ore, sending it to a little logistic drone station, and letting that inject the ore into whatever factory is requesting it.
P
Pro: only ever need ore, and managing the inventory of the small storages keeps it from piling up and sitting somewhere useless.

Con: if there’s a slow-manufacturing item in the chain you could do to have multiple assemblers producing (looking at you, Ti glass :argh: ), production can really bog down.

Still, feels good for an early game and ILS being slow to manufacture isn’t necessarily terrible.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 21, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i have now discovered the satisfaction of building tiling black box blueprints

my ratios may be bad but w/e still happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

zoux posted:

I can give you my list, I posted one a year ago that's pretty out of date.

For belts specifically:
SplitterOverBelt works like magic
Belt Reverser that, uh, reverses belt. Immensely helpful and it's amazing that it's not already in the game.

Other stuff:

Blueprint tweaks it says it allows you to include foundations in blueprints and force pasting, but tbh I don't know everything it does because I've never played without it.
Bottleneck adds tons of information to your production tab including warnings when consumption exceeds production by certain thresholds.
Bulldozer allows for one button foundationing of an entire planet, you can pick how cheaty you want it to be (free/half/full foundation & soil cost) and it requires Exploration III to unlock.
Fast Drones makes drones fast
Free Camera lets you zoom out real far
Logistic Station Traffic Manager is an absolutely critical info mod that lets you know what the hell is in your logi stations.
Super night light basically is a toggle for daylight on the dark side of a planet. It won't power anything solar but it will let you see (and solar panels will follow you)
Unlimited Foundations

These are the ones I won't play without and none of them invalidate your save for achievement purposes.

I'd also recommend Better Controls, as the default remapping doesn't let you rebind E which screws over anyone who prefers ESDF for movement.