Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
About literally everyone into NFTs turned out to have extremely poor understanding of... the whole concept of ownership, along with pretty much everything else involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Haha yes, the copyright stuff they made incredibly complicated was one of the most hosed up things. The concept was a bit like: "you have copyright"....so long as you hold the NFT. Which causes a bunch of issues because copyright isn't meant to work that way. Such as how Seth Rogan tried to make a TV show off an NFT that he later lost and had to recover, because without it...his entire TV show would have been blatant copyright infringement.
As a proposition instead (or to make things dumber), they come up with the idea of "NFT's that can't be transferred from the wallet they're in". Which means a: you can't transfer it without transferring the entire wallet (and the password to said wallet can never be changed, so that's great for security ) and b: there's a lot of lingering questions in a scenario like that of who truly owns or controls what.

If my password was abc123456 and I had a wallet somewhere, do I own it? Do you own it? Do we all own it? These are insanely stupid questions that nobody should ever have to even ponder, and yet here we are.

Bitcoin: adding idiocy to things that don't need more.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Haha yes, the copyright stuff they made incredibly complicated was one of the most hosed up things. The concept was a bit like: "you have copyright"....so long as you hold the NFT. Which causes a bunch of issues because copyright isn't meant to work that way. Such as how Seth Rogan tried to make a TV show off an NFT that he later lost and had to recover, because without it...his entire TV show would have been blatant copyright infringement.
As a proposition instead (or to make things dumber), they come up with the idea of "NFT's that can't be transferred from the wallet they're in". Which means a: you can't transfer it without transferring the entire wallet (and the password to said wallet can never be changed, so that's great for security ) and b: there's a lot of lingering questions in a scenario like that of who truly owns or controls what.

If my password was abc123456 and I had a wallet somewhere, do I own it? Do you own it? Do we all own it? These are insanely stupid questions that nobody should ever have to even ponder, and yet here we are.

Bitcoin: adding idiocy to things that don't need more.

to be honest he was most likely high

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think it was one of the other seths

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the green one?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

that was Seth Green. extremely big difference between the two

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah green was the nft one.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
joe rogan like weed not sure of if he likes crypto

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Seth Rogan also likes weed. He has a weed store iirc

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

seth rogan, the horrible offspring of seth green and joe rogan

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember, he still is working on a NTF show, trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHT5iUeV8g

RELEASE THE CRINGE SETH

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Chromatics posted:

50kg give or take

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Boxturret posted:

Disturbing stuff

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

RELEASE THE CRINGE SETH

I would watch that show

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how many of the NFTs in that show have rug pulled or crashed to zero since that clip was released

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

As I recall, the way things shook out for the ugly monkey show is that him being hacked and having his ape stolen didn't really impact anything and he could have proceeded. But doing so would have required admitting that the whole "code is law" thing is bullshit, so in order to maintain the facade, he had to pay the ransom.

As for the "soulbound wallet" thing, an important thing to remember about the "once it's in your wallet, it can't be removed" thing is that there is no way to decline having things put in your wallet. So if someone sends something that is, shall we say, rather upsetting and illegal to it? Well, sucks to be you, I guess.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, under relevant NY state law Seth Green never lost legal ownership of the NFT (to the extent anyone "owns" anything on the blockchain) because title was acquired fraudulently, and there's no "holder in due course" safe harbor for receiving stolen property. He could have litigated it and won handily, but the entire point of the NFT show is that this is a ReVolUtIoNaRY new form of property and breaking kayfabe would have utterly sunk the project.

...not that it's going anywhere anyway with the way NFTs have basically imploded, but still!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

happyhippy posted:

RELEASE THE CRINGE SETH

thats just greg the bunny but worse

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Chromatics posted:

They're all so stupid I get them mixed up when not paying attention.

Boxturret posted:

That's Musk.

BitcoinIsSovereign
Nov 25, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Just so everyone understands, Bitcoin isn't "financial software", it's a scam perpetuated by people high on their own farts. I mean, seriously, just look at it. The stupidity is both rank and obvious, and at this point the misc is speeding up and there aren't many chairs left. The only winning position with crypto is to stay the gently caress away from it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 25, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BitcoinIsSovereign posted:

Just so everyone understands, Bitcoin isn't "financial software", it's capital-M Money. Those who fail to comprehend this fundamental truth are technological dunces who will inevitably end up among the biggest losers in this digital gold rush by showing up late to the game, despite being given every advantage as terminally online forums posters. :sad:

comprehend this: shut up bitch

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Just so everyone understands, Bitcoin isn't "financial software", it's capital-M Money. Those who fail to comprehend this fundamental truth are technological dunces who will inevitably end up among the biggest losers in this digital gold rush by showing up late to the game, despite being given every advantage as terminally online forums posters. :sad:

It is not, nor has it ever been money. all crypto currency will always be nothing but magical thinking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tell me, did you purchase your account with Bitcoin or Fiat?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just a heads up, in keeping with tradition I'm going to edit that post once I have it 100% established it's Seraph.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Im a stupid freak for a lot of things but i thank my stars bitcoin is not one of them.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You'd think that "this unbacked security that has lost three quarters of its value of the last year and is still going down and no merchant actually takes" would be enough to get people off that particular train, but I guess I am not a galaxy-brained money genius.

stratego
May 6, 2007

The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Digital currencies rise, evolve, advance. And at the apex of their glory, they are rugpulled.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Bitcoin is Capital M-Money

No it can't function as a currency, why do you ask?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Any day now!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Capital P-p-p-PowerBook!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Macy's had an NFT ad thing during the parade leading me to believe I can own a digital balloon and gave airtime to a clip of the Macy's parade in the metaverse with as many as 12 polygons per float. Macy's is a very well to do company that is not having trouble finding a niche in the 21st century retail market so I don't know how it couldn't go to the moon now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My Beanie Babies will be worth a fortune, just you wait!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lol, they manged to make another comedy without any jokes.

It feels like everyone involved knew how terrible it was and were just half rear end'ing it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

My Beanie Babies will be worth a fortune, just you wait!

I just sold one for $11,000 the other day! only have 2 more of my super rare valuable ones in stock! Set to sell them this very afternoon, but do you know what, cos I like you all I can even give you a discount $10,995, but need to decide in the next 1hr!!!

also what's a beanie baby again? ah don't worry I'll just google it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

happyhippy posted:

RELEASE THE CRINGE SETH
Huh, is that the dead eyes guy?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

davecrazy posted:

So Aparently GameStop opened some Wallet website to store crypto and NFTs and the super stonk morons think this is the 2nd coming and prelude to the moon event.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Binance seems to be in trouble too.. maybe. But LOL if you give them money
https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1595696710717739010
https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/11/24/binance-targets-1b-recovery-fund-for-distressed-crypto-assets-bloomberg/

quote:

Binance is targeting $1 billion or more for a previously announced recovery fund to buy distressed crypto assets, CEO Changpeng "CZ" Zhao said in an interview with Bloomberg Television on Thursday.

Amazon is going to do a FTX Miniseries
https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/23/23475998/amazon-ftx-show-sam-bankman-fried

quote:

Anthony and Joe Russo’s AGBO production company is attached to produce the show, and the brothers are reportedly considering coming on to direct multiple episodes. Variety reports that Amazon has tapped Invasion co-creator Dave Weil to executive produce the currently unnamed eight episode miniseries that details how Bankman-Fried co-founded FTX, and went on to lead the company to a liquidity crisis that ultimately resulted in his being ousted.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

wait so both binance and ftx need exactly one billion dollars? odd coincidence

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Isn't binance way bigger than ftx?
Be a big deal if they go down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries