Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I rented that from blockbuster and got to the literal very first guy in the watchroom outside your cells, killed him, checked the computer to see an AIM messenger chat with his girlfriend or wife or whatever asking why he suddenly went quiet and if he was okay and felt sick to my stomach and couldn't play anymore. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Bee posted:

So the greatest musician of all time is either PaRappa or Ariana Grande.

This is Travis Scott and Bruno Mars erasure.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zinkraptor posted:

Not quite as good as Nazi massacre, but that reminds me of how in Metal Gear Rising you don’t even get ranked for successfully stealthing a section. If you want all s-rank you have to loudly charge in and fight everything every time the game implies it wants you to use stealth, making it a game that not only rewards you for stealth “failure” but punishes you for doing it successfully (if you care about rank).

I imagine Platinum was trying to put any notion of stealth gameplay to bed as soon as possible by having you leap along a salvo of missiles to carve up a giant robot while the buttrock soundtrack screams "RULES OF NATURE" at you

but the people who bought Revengeance were probably largely the people who had bought previous Metal Gears, and learned habits are not easy to break

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Revengeance is a bit inconsistent because some sections can be stealthed while others are ranked so you shouldn't. It all comes down to knowing each level so you can just backstab everything that does not factor into your rank.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ashsaber posted:

Got Code Vein recently, which is easiest described as 'Dark Souls but Anime Vampires', and while there are several things that belong in the sister thread (ie: everything about the stupid leveling system, the 'we have Anor Londo at home' area) there are a few things that it does really right.

One thing is that the NPCs at home base move around between visits. Anyone with important functions will stay very close to their normal spots and will still offer their services if not 'behind the counter' so to speak, and the ones that you can just chat with will be sitting somewhere, or positioned for a conversation, or something similar. It makes the base feel more like a place people live and hang out that just a glorified shop.

The other thing that is really nice is that double KOs against a boss count as a win for you. I was going against a projectile spamming boss and was going through my death animation only for poison to finish the boss off, and not only was it a win, but I got instantly set to full resources like I had just rested at the bonfire equivalent. I had expected to beat my head against that particular wall like a dozen more times, so it was a great feeling when 'ah man I was that close' turned to 'wait, what? I won?'

I also really appreciated the simple feature of having an unbreakable training dummy in your home base to test weapons and skills on. It's one of those things I always wanted to have in From's own games, but it never happened even in Elden Ring.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Nov 25, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Revengence also has some mixed messages, because some of the stealth sections will have your handlers make fun of you if you screw up, even though the resulting fight is ranked.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite case of "oops! we ran out of time and/or money" in a video game is Clive Barker's Jericho. A first person shooter with a squad who specializes in taking down demons, ghouls, cultists and old ones. You're the captain, you die, yet somehow your ghost is still around and you can take direct control of your team members.

Upon arriving at the final boss, they instantly kill two of your squad. No extended death sequences, no ghosts that linger around. In the blink of an eye, those two are just gone. You start fighting the boss and there is a clear case that at certain points you need to take control of a specific squad member and use a certain weapon/ability. So basically... they couldn't come up with a way to utilize the guy and gal who just got iced? Or they had to cut the scope of the boss fight.

Either way, you deal with the final boss. I think they were the load-bearing kind, so your squad has to flee. They dive in a pool of water that is connected to an underground tunnel. I say "they", but you see this whole sequence in first person. The tunnel leads to an open body of water, the sun is shining, the camera zooms out and... the credits start rolling?! No glimpse of your team, no narrative whatsoever. Are you still on Earth, in your own timeline, your own dimension?

It is almost amazing how much of a non-ending it is. There are 8-bit ports of arcade games that have more satisfying endings.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Nov 25, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kanfy posted:

I also really appreciated the simple feature of having an unbreakable training dummy in your home base to test weapons and skills on. It's one of those things I always wanted to have in From's own games, but it never happened even in Elden Ring.

It was in Sekiro!

The other games just have "go back to the opening areas and test stuff", which is less refined.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm replaying Spideyman 2018 for the millionth time, and I'm just appreciating how straightforward and fun a lot of the challenges are around the map. Combine that with the traversal that just feels really good and it's like, sure, I'll just snap a half dozen landmark photos and grab a few backpacks on my way to the next destination, why not? And the later ones solving puzzles and doing some other challenges are generally really fun as well. It's one of the few open world games I've 100%ed everything in multiple times, and I'll do it again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxxidation posted:

there was a plague of cliffhanger endings through most of the ps3/X360 generation, though the most egregious one i remember was psi ops on the PS2

amnesiac main character goes "i remember everything now!" just before he's betrayed by his handlers and runs away from a helicopter gunship. roll credits

I blame Halo, I think. Literally every drat wannabe shooter franchise just copied all the same story beats as well as the gameplay ones.

BadMedic posted:

TBH the majority of sudden and/or cliffhanger endings are actually 'whoops we ran out of time/budget' endings
Brutal Legend: Yeah there was supposed to be a whole extra 3rd of the game, building up the demons storyline (BTW Tim Curry was the best)
Halo 2: The final level was supposed to be fighting through the Forerunner ship but whoops no more time gotta ship. (I'm still a bit annoyed it didn't get included in Halo 3 in some sort of fashion)
Mario Sunshine: Corona Mountain was supposed to be a full level, but nope get a weird awkward gauntlet and lava boat

and some bonus general missing stuff
Demon's Souls: RIP 6th archstone, you were supposed to exist
Zelda Windwaker: There were supposed to be more Main Dungeons, but they got cut for time. Bits and pieces were reused as secret areas on various islands. The Spirit and Earth temple just got sorta blended together. Ganon's area in Hyrule was also supposed to have more content to it, instead of being weirdly short and full of refights.

There's tons more that I'm not thinking of, but yeah game dev is hard.

It makes a lot of sense that this happened a lot in the HD era and lead up to it where the graphical arms race got ridiculous and game budgets and development practices clearly struggled to keep up, being basically a mass extinction event for middleware developers and entire genres that we're still only starting to see the recovery from.

A lot of games do indeed show that you should probably make the beginning and the end first so you can have an actual good ending and can cut a bunch of stuff from the middle that won't be missed too much rather than having a game just slow to a crawl.

Mind you even back in the 90s it's hard to name a game that DIDN'T end with some kind of cliffhanger or sequel hook that was never followed up on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hitman 2016 and its continued support in Hitman 3 allows me to assassinate a clown, whilst myself dressed as a clown.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hitman 2016 and its continued support in Hitman 3 allows me to assassinate a clown, whilst myself dressed as a clown.

I've not played any of the hitman games since the first one, but if there's not a moment where you, dressed as a mime, get an achievement for shooting another mime with a silenced weapon, then it's a series with failed potential.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Breetai posted:

I've not played any of the hitman games since the first one, but if there's not a moment where you, dressed as a mime, get an achievement for shooting another mime with a silenced weapon, then it's a series with failed potential.

Sorry, no mimes. Agent 47 is too busy being a male model, Italian plumber, massage therapist, roadie, scarecrow, surgeon, race car driver, hippo handler, barber, real estate agent, armored knight, bank robber, diving instructor, helicopter pilot, private investigator, Florida man, homeless person, vineyard tour guide and an office employee.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The first Rockruff I caught in Pokémon Scarlet has Own Tempo and will evolve into the neat dusk form

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Sorry, no mimes. Agent 47 is too busy being a male model, Italian plumber, massage therapist, roadie, scarecrow, surgeon, race car driver, hippo handler, barber, real estate agent, armored knight, bank robber, diving instructor, helicopter pilot, private investigator, Florida man, homeless person, vineyard tour guide and an office employee.

You forgot clown, theatrical actor and priest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also yoga instructor, tailor, and drummer. 47 knows how to do ANYTHING.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I always like it when 47 dresses up as a profession and then can actually perform it (beyond just idle animations where he blends in). Like playing a fashion model or a photographer and knowing exactly what to do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Twitter Argument Simulator 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Music in a Sonic game absolutely didn't need to go this hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRMaFCajcU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mierenneuker posted:

Don't forget the multiple times he dresses up as other assassins, including his own brothers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Forgall posted:

Music in a Sonic game absolutely didn't need to go this hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRMaFCajcU

it's a tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMcIB7XIi0

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hel posted:

Don't forget the multiple times he dresses up as other assassins, including his own brothers.

This is the first time I'm hearing about him having family, and I want to know more. Are they all hulking bald supermen, or is he the odd one out? What's their relationship like, do they put aside their differences to get together for a strained but fulfilling holiday visit every year?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Thanksgiving party is murder

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is the first time I'm hearing about him having family, and I want to know more. Are they all hulking bald supermen, or is he the odd one out? What's their relationship like, do they put aside their differences to get together for a strained but fulfilling holiday visit every year?

Well he killed practically all of them at the end of the first game (but there were a few mk.2 versions in blood money)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw boo. Well I guess that does make things less awkward now at least.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok, Quick primer on Hitman "Lore".
47 has 5 fathers, a coked up drug lord(as in he gets a damage resist bonus if you let him snort some coke) , a Chinese triad boss, 2 types of eastern European terrorist and an IIRC Romanian mad scientist named Ort-Meyer. The last one creates clones of the others for organ harvesting so they can live for a long time.
In the first game they have split up and hate each other so Ort-Meyer let's 47 escape in the tutorial of the first game so he can join the ICA and be hired to kill the other fathers. This leads to the tutorial of Hitman 2016 and then back to the rest of Codename 47. After killing all of the other bosses it's revealed that there was a single shadow client behind all the hits, which is super illegal so he goes to kill Ort-Meyer in his insane asylum. There you find out that he has created an army of new killer clones, the 48 series, so after using a minigun to mow all of them down, you use their back-of-the-head-bar-code to pass through a scanner and pretend to be one of them so you can get close to Ort-Meyer and kill him, which fools him completely because they are dressed the same as you, suit and red necktie.
Then comes the tutorial for Contracts where you have to escape before retiring to be a gardener for a priest in Hitman 2.

In Hitman 2 the brother to one of the eastern european terrorist fathers digs up a failed clone experiment, Mr.17 who is worse than 47 and has an orange tie and the worst sunglasses known to man( this costume was recently added to Hitman 3). The kidnap your priest in an attempt to get you back into business so they can hire you to kill people and 17 tries to snipe you in moscow but 47 is so good he sneaks up and strangles him(IIRC you have to as there are no other weapons on that map). The you get back to your church to kill you uncle and free you priest friend. And so 47 realises he will always be an assassin and goes back into business for real.

Then comes Hitman 4 Blood Money , where after two missions he is shot by a french police chief and pedophile outside the Paris opera house, which leads to the framing story of Hitman3 Contracts which is mostly a remake of Codename 47, but after killing him you go to America for the rest of Blood Money where you kill a different type of clone assassin owned by the CIA, and ultimately to kill the Vice President for a guy in flag underwear.

Then comes Absolution which makes no sense with regards to the rest of the story and then the HITMAN trilogy.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Hel posted:

Then comes Absolution which makes no sense with regards to the rest of the story and then the HITMAN trilogy.

Just completely throwing out years of carefully developed plot and character development

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

See? Simple!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least we got Challenges out of it, and Powers Boothe doing stuff. Absolution is a really good game, it’s just a bad Hitman game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know why I didn't expect that level of convolution in Hitman backstory, but in retrospect it seems obvious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

In general they probably changed a couple of things related to Hitman lore, since the first game has the doctor creating adult clones like it is nothing. Yet the modern trilogy has flashbacks with him as a child, and he's not the only kid being trained to be an assassin.

It's probably a lot closer these days to how it is depicted in the first Hitman movie, which borrows footage from the series Dark Angel (with Jessica Alba) for kid 47.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Nov 26, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mierenneuker posted:

In general they probably changed a couple of things related to Hitman lore, since the first game has the doctor creating adult clones like it is nothing. Yet the modern trilogy has flashbacks with him as a child, and he's not the only kid being trained to be an assassin.

It's probably a lot closer these days to how it is depicted in the first Hitman movie, which borrows footage from the series Dark Angel (with Jessica Alba) for kid 47.

I think that came in 2 or contracts website had some documents telling you about 47 growing up and how he had a secret pet rabbit and shot smilies into the target's on the firing range

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

…so if someone was to want to start paying the Hitman series, where should they start?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hitman Trilogy. That's also on Xbox/PC Game Pass.

The modern trilogy is Hitman 1-3 released from 2016-2021. Hitman 3 allows you to play nearly all the content from the previous two games, all the content that really matters anyway. You could buy the standard edition of Hitman 3 and buy the levels from those previous two games as DLC, but the way it is being sold is needlessly confusing. Just get Hitman Trilogy, and if you really dig it you'll eventually find out what else of the DLC you might want to have.

The older games suffer from a condition where a newer title aged them even more rapidly. Hitman: Codename 47 was ready to be mummified when Hitman 2: Silent Assassin come out. Hitman: Contracts made you realize that the former title had terrible AI and way too much levels. Hitman: Blood Money was the gold standard for a long time, but it kind of pales to the modern trilogy these days. Hitman: Absolution was terrible reimagination of what the games are, it is somewhat redeemed because its flaws highlighted what not to do for the later games.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Nov 26, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mierenneuker posted:

Hitman Trilogy. That's also on Xbox/PC Game Pass.

The modern trilogy is Hitman 1-3 released from 2016-2021. Hitman 3 allows you to play nearly all the content from the previous two games, all the content that really matters anyway. You could buy the standard edition of Hitman 3 and buy the levels from those previous two games as DLC, but the way it is being sold is needlessly confusing. Just get Hitman Trilogy, and if you really dig it you'll eventually find out what else of the DLC you might want to have.

The older games suffer from a condition where a newer title aged them even more rapidly. Hitman: Codename 47 was ready to be mummified when Hitman 2: Silent Assassin come out. Hitman: Contracts made you realize that the former title had terrible AI and way too much levels. Hitman: Blood Money was the gold standard for a long time, but it kind of pales to the modern trilogy these days. Hitman: Absolution was terrible reimagination of what the games are, it is somewhat redeemed because its flaws highlighted what not to do for the later games.

Agreement box. The new Hitman games are sublime playgrounds full of people and fun ways to make them have little accidents.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What was Absolution like, gameplay wise? I think I played like two missions and I just remember one in a Chinatown market that seemed alright, following tradition of a small little sandbox to play around in. Just never really played any more than that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I've started playing EDF Iron Rain and I really like the heavy armor in it. Other games have always had these big heavy getups feel cumbersome and lovely, never really worth the boost in defensive power (though there's an exploit in one of them that makes them speedy as hell), even while equipping multiple weapons. But in Iron Rain, wielding two chain guns (for example) while being able to block projectiles feels markedly different and actually worth doing.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Morpheus posted:

What was Absolution like, gameplay wise? I think I played like two missions and I just remember one in a Chinatown market that seemed alright, following tradition of a small little sandbox to play around in. Just never really played any more than that.

The later levels are much more linear, disguises aren't really that effective, and the ICA in the game has a hit squad of latex-wearing nuns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It sounds more and more like a Kojima franchise at every moment