Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d like to make some pea soup with your sweet hock iykwim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ada shatan posted:

Smoking a brisket, as is tradition. Should I spatchcock it?

Technically I think that's called butterflying

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Going to smoke a pork belly next week for the first time to put in some thanksgiving side dishes. I'm pretty excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Going to smoke a pork belly next week for the first time to put in some thanksgiving side dishes. I'm pretty excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same man i'm doing a porchetta on the smoker I'm tired of turkey

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

sellouts posted:

what temp are y’all smoking your spatchcocked turkeys at this year?

I’m going 275-300 for mine.

I was going to go lower, like 225. But My bird is a bit larger at 14 pounds, and I read that when they start to get that big the internal temps can hang out in the danger zone for a little too long if you don’t cook them hot enough.

Will spatchcock and dry brine with some Lawry’s about 36 hours before. Then I’m thinking a light Cajun rub with some herb butter under the skin.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’m going 275-300 for mine.

I was going to go lower, like 225. But My bird is a bit larger at 14 pounds, and I read that when they start to get that big the internal temps can hang out in the danger zone for a little too long if you don’t cook them hot enough.

Will spatchcock and dry brine with some Lawry’s about 36 hours before. Then I’m thinking a light Cajun rub with some herb butter under the skin.

I probably ordered it too late for Thanksgiving, but I'll be using this Cajun seasoning if it gets here in time. It's fantastic on grilled chicken breasts and pork chops too.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Anyone have suggestions on Turkey legs. It's just my family (4ppl) this year for Thanksgiving so didn't want to get a whole bird. I've done the copy cat Disney brined recipe before but curious if there are other suggestions.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Getting a little worried. 15 pound turkey has been thawing in the fridge since Sunday morning and it feels like it has a long way to go before fully thawed.

Was hoping to start dry brining tonight, but I think it being thawed for tomorrow morning is being pretty optimistic.

Fridge’s temp isn’t too cold.

Going to try and work the giblets out of the cavity in a little bit. I’m sure that will speed thing up. Maybe at the end of the day today I’ll try removing the backbone to get it ready for spatchcocking. That should help thaw it a little more.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Just leave it out on the counter.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If you have a bucket or something put it in a water bath and change the water every hour or half hour

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I wiggled the giblets out, so that should speed things up a bit. Will leave it on the counter for about an hour a few times a day and see where we’re at. I think I can get the backbone out tonight and that will really move things along.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kaddish posted:

If you have a bucket or something put it in a water bath and change the water every hour or half hour

This is the way to go

T-Square
May 14, 2009

T-Square posted:

Do any of you have a Pit Boss 5 series vertical pellet smoker? I recently moved to a second floor condo with a wood balcony. Grills are allowed but I don’t think I’m comfortable having a charcoal kettle up there, so I think I’m going to relegate mine to the garage to wheel out into the driveway for short to medium cooks. I want a vertical pellet smoker to save a bit of space, but also I’ve been using charcoal for a few years now and kind of just want easy mode for long smokes and the Pit Boss is pretty much right in my price range.

Update: I popped into Menards for a $5 can of propane and saw they had this on sale for about $60 off for like two more days so I just bought it. Probably won’t assemble and fire it up for a couple of weeks because I need to order a cover for it before it goes out to its new home on the balcony.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Turkey is thawed. Spatchcocking now for the dry brine.

Just ripped the spine out like loving Predator.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Turkey is thawed. Spatchcocking now for the dry brine.

Just ripped the spine out like loving Predator.

While slicing the finished bird, please do the eerie ascending/descending snigger-clicking sound while making eye contact with everyone around the table slowly

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

While slicing the finished bird, please do the eerie ascending/descending snigger-clicking sound while making eye contact with everyone around the table slowly

Wouldn’t be the weirdest thing I’ve ever done while carving meat for my family.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Turkey came out great and the family loved it!

Dry brined in Lawry’s. Dusted with a little black pepper and bbq rub before it his the smoker. Mixed some chopped rosemary, thyme, and sage into some ghee and spread that under the skin of the breasts and thighs.

Smoked over Kingsford with four chunks of pecan on the WSM. Tried to keep the between 275 and 300.

Skin was SUPER crispy.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I did one of my better briskets on a Weber smoky mountain. Just a run of the mill salt/pepper rub on a prime costco cut. It was heartbreaking how much fat I had to trim off that thing but I thought it turned out nicely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like to keep the fat to make tallow. It makes it sting a little less.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Turkey came out great and the family loved it!

Dry brined in Lawry’s. Dusted with a little black pepper and bbq rub before it his the smoker. Mixed some chopped rosemary, thyme, and sage into some ghee and spread that under the skin of the breasts and thighs.

Smoked over Kingsford with four chunks of pecan on the WSM. Tried to keep the between 275 and 300.

Skin was SUPER crispy.

That is one tasty-rear end looking bird, goddamn

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I did one of my better briskets on a Weber smoky mountain. Just a run of the mill salt/pepper rub on a prime costco cut. It was heartbreaking how much fat I had to trim off that thing but I thought it turned out nicely.

Looks nice and juicy!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK last night I picked up my order of pork belly with extra fat on it. Got 1.2 kilos of it, at a kilo-price of €14.90 it wasn't cheap. But the meat came from a farmer less than 5km from my home so it's pretty darn local produce. Very nice to have your own butcher shop though, she laid out a huge slab of it infront of me and cut off a roughly 1kg piece.

I think I will divide the piece into two equal parts. Based on what I've read online I have made up a game plan.

I plan to vacuum brine both pieces, using 3% salt (I like my bacon salty) and 0.25% cure 1 and probably some black pepper thrown in. One of the pieces will get liquid smoke as well (I got apple, pecan, mesquite and hickory).

I think two weeks should be enough to cure it fully. then they will be removed from the vacuum bags and will dry out in the fridge. Not sure how long. Then I will cold smoke the one I did not use liquid smoke on. See what the difference is like between real smoked and liquid smoke.

I think the best way to preserve the bacon then is slice everything up and vacuum pack & freeze the slices, then take a pack from the freezer as needed.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just smoked a pork belly but didn’t cure it. Along with ‘Butt Rub’ rub I added some brown sugar. Dang it was delicious. I’ll be smoking more of those for sure.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Farking Bastage posted:

That looks amazing!

And same thing for me. Big fat prime from Sam’s club. Started 18, trimmed to 14lbs. Probably one of the best briskets I’ve made, thankfully. No pressure when you’re cooking for a big extended family.

special shout out to my brother who did the overnight watch for it. We thought it’d go until noon or so, but he ended up wrapping and oven finishing it around 4 AM because the WSM couldn’t hold temp.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This is like my 3rd turkey with leathery skin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Meat is delicious and juicy but I just can't nail the skin.

I added baking powder to my dry brine this time, and made sure the dome of my egg was fully hot before I put the turkey in, hoping that would work.

This year I cooked a bit cooler (275) but in previous years did 350ish and still had leathery skin. Will using too much oil ruin the skin? Can water evaporating from the drip pan steam the skin too much?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So am going to make a mistake doing a pit boss pellet smoker. tSC has one for 399 and it seems good. Wifi is like a $300 feature set which is more than I'd pay for it.

I think a gravity charcoal one would be best but they're kinda small for my family and the larger ones are like 1k.

Trying to use it as both a grill and smoker to get rid of my ailing mes30 and charbroil dying propane grill

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
First time smoking the bird for the big day. I'd done two over the past year but I was nervous messing with routine and cooking the stuffing separately.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tomfoolery posted:

This is like my 3rd turkey with leathery skin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Meat is delicious and juicy but I just can't nail the skin.

I added baking powder to my dry brine this time, and made sure the dome of my egg was fully hot before I put the turkey in, hoping that would work.

This year I cooked a bit cooler (275) but in previous years did 350ish and still had leathery skin. Will using too much oil ruin the skin? Can water evaporating from the drip pan steam the skin too much?

Not sure what's going on there. Mine above I did spatchcocked at 250 for a bit over 4.5 hours. I basted the skin with butter every hour and had a tray of water under it to catch drippings.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

tater_salad posted:

So am going to make a mistake doing a pit boss pellet smoker. tSC has one for 399 and it seems good. Wifi is like a $300 feature set which is more than I'd pay for it.

I think a gravity charcoal one would be best but they're kinda small for my family and the larger ones are like 1k.

Trying to use it as both a grill and smoker to get rid of my ailing mes30 and charbroil dying propane grill

I have a pit boss pro series and here are the pros and cons as I see them.

Pros:
Wireless controls with remote temperature and meat probe monitoring is great for keeping tabs on things. I have young kids so 20 hour fire tending to cook a brisket is not in the cards for me these days, ergo the automation is great.

Very few, if any, leaks or poorly fitted pieces. Therefore solid heat retention.

Can get the grill up to 450F or higher for hit and fast cooking or grilling.

Sliding plate to expose the flame is handy for searing stuff off.

My particular grill has an absolute fuckton of cooking space.

Cons:

You'll need a pellet maze or pellet tube for extra smoke if doing things like briskets or pulled pork. Otherwise you're not getting as good a smoke infusion as you want.

It takes a long rear end time to heat up to temperatures good for hot and fast grilling.

Overall I like mine, but I use it primarily for long smokes (6+ hours), or as a smokey oven for things like cob corn or fish. It works fine as a grill as long as you let it get to temperature first, but I have a cheap rear end offset / charcoal grill that I like to use for hot and fast grilling because it's more fun for me to gently caress around with coals and wood.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How long is a long rear end time to get up to temp for burgers and chicken n poo poo? Maybe I'll go with a charcoal gravity one then to get that heat up.

I do a lot of pork butt and brisket and ribs so I like the smokey flavor more.. but could get a tube ormaze I guess.

Or I just decide to do a charcoal gravity grill.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 25, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've vacuum packed the pork belly now

The smaller piece has apple wood liquid smoke along with the cure.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just bought a Traeger, as my old cabinet smoker literally blew up.

How do y'all with pellet grills/smokers do a turkey?

I'm thinking 2 hours on the smoke setting, then crank it up to 300F for the actual cooking.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rotisserie turkey turned out GREAT

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My brand new, literally 1 day old Traeger, has paint peeling on the exterior.

Is this a known issue?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

In an effort to thaw it so we could use it tonight, I left a whole brisket out in the laundry room sink overnight by accident. It was still cold at like 1am when I remembered in a panic, so I put it in the fridge. It wasn’t refrigerator cold anymore, but cold. Safe to eat, or toss it? It just wasn’t making any progress in the thaw department for awhile but overnight it suddenly wants to thaw. It wouldn’t have thawed hardly at all in the fridge, even overnight.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The thing to worry about is if it got above 40°C, and if so for how long. If you bought it shrink wrapped or vacuum sealed, it should be safe. If it smells off at all, at any point, toss it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The thing to worry about is if it got above 40°C, and if so for how long. If you bought it shrink wrapped or vacuum sealed, it should be safe. If it smells off at all, at any point, toss it.

Fahrenheit?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yes! 40°F, my bad.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

tater_salad posted:

How long is a long rear end time to get up to temp for burgers and chicken n poo poo? Maybe I'll go with a charcoal gravity one then to get that heat up.

Getting the internal temp on mine to reach 400+ takes a solid 15-25 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to smoke a pot roast, the seasoning turned into a paste last time I did it so I'm going to take advice