Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Can a coaster reasonably increase attendance if they’re putting a cap on attendance?

I don’t know how close they were to cap before and after though.

I would think the goal isn’t to increase attendance as much as not lose attendance to Universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Disney has long passed trying to increase attendance generally, which is why single day pricing is about 1.5x-2x what it was like a decade ago. They’ve basically maxed out capacity for demand without building a 5th gate.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Hey all, x-posting from all Japan and Disney related threads, so hopefully this is okay…

This is a long-rear end shot in the dark, but would anyone here happen to be going into the Tokyo Disney Parks over the next few days? I was just there and didn’t realize that a hoodie I wanted would only be available inside the park gates and not even available in Ikspiari or Bon Voyage. Would be super appreciative if anyone would be willing to grab a couple of hoodies for me and my wife and meet me somewhere at a point of convenience to get them and Venmo or whatever.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Disney has long passed trying to increase attendance generally, which is why single day pricing is about 1.5x-2x what it was like a decade ago. They’ve basically maxed out capacity for demand without building a 5th gate.

Park capacity is the sum of attraction capacity. There is plenty of room in all of the parks. They could just put more attractions in the existing parks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dren posted:

Park capacity is the sum of attraction capacity. There is plenty of room in all of the parks. They could just put more attractions in the existing parks.
It's a little more complicated than that. They need to have enough food places to match the attraction capacity, enough merch and food storage to keep the food places and gift shops stocked, enough bins to deal with the crap that those generate, and enough toilets to make sure the queues for those don't get out of hand. It's probably possible to put a couple more attractions into each park, but after a while you'll run up against something else starting to need more attention.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. They need to have enough food places to match the attraction capacity, enough merch and food storage to keep the food places and gift shops stocked, enough bins to deal with the crap that those generate, and enough toilets to make sure the queues for those don't get out of hand. It's probably possible to put a couple more attractions into each park, but after a while you'll run up against something else starting to need more attention.

Even more importantly, security and the ability to evacuate the park if poo poo goes down.

Incidentally, the latter is what puts a soft cap on just how big you can build one theme park.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supposedly Epcot has no capacity limit like the other parks. Maybe it technically does but it's so high there is no chance of reaching it.

However if you have ever been to Epcot on New Year's Eve you would see how huge crowds just make the experience miserable. Just people packed shoulder to shoulder. It took me 30 mins just to push through the UK.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Magic Kingdom: 43 current attractions https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic_Kingdom_attractions

Disneyland: 53 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disneyland_attractions

size of disneyland: 100 acres
size of magic kingdom: 107 acres

they got plenty of room

the other parks at WDW are just as big, or bigger, and have less attractions

plus there are still unused expansion pads in DLR. they could put more into their densest park, if they wanted.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Current figment ride now that's a flop
Give figment a good ride please

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dren posted:

Magic Kingdom: 43 current attractions https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic_Kingdom_attractions

Disneyland: 53 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disneyland_attractions

size of disneyland: 100 acres
size of magic kingdom: 107 acres

they got plenty of room

the other parks at WDW are just as big, or bigger, and have less attractions

plus there are still unused expansion pads in DLR. they could put more into their densest park, if they wanted.
As Coasterphreak pointed out, it's not just about room, it's about being able to clear that space quickly and know that they've managed to do it completely if they need to, in addition to all the other things I pointed out which you've ignored. Co-incidentally all those other things are also the ones where someone who has paid into the parks walks up and hands over money, which is kind of important to the whole deal.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If they can fit 10 more attractions, plus all the supporting stuff necessary for them into a smaller space, they can fit at least 10 more attractions and the supporting stuff into the bigger space.

They just don’t want to invest in CapEx at WDW to keep up with attendance. Whether that means a fifth gate or adding attractions. They are happy to slow roll attractions out and fight demand by jacking up ticket prices faster than ever before.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saj1EOE4Grw

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I'm headed back next week for Universal but I'm doing an Epcot day because, well, Epcot. I was curious if they were doing a holiday mix so hopefully it won't be too rough trying to get into the virtual queue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dren posted:

If they can fit 10 more attractions, plus all the supporting stuff necessary for them into a smaller space, they can fit at least 10 more attractions and the supporting stuff into the bigger space.

They just don’t want to invest in CapEx at WDW to keep up with attendance. Whether that means a fifth gate or adding attractions. They are happy to slow roll attractions out and fight demand by jacking up ticket prices faster than ever before.
Oh yeah, that must be it. It's definitely not a conscious decision made by Walt himself about ensuring that the Orlando park was less crowded than the Anaheim one by spreading stuff out more, or any silly little things like code differences between different states or other sensible constraints. It absolutely must be that Disney didn't want to put the CapEx in and that's why WDW only cost 400mil in 1971 compared to the truly extravagent outlay of 17mil in 1954.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

you're probably right but you could just say the thing you want to say rather than going through all the work of saying it backwardsy

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've also lost track of the position in all the sarcasm - is your position actually that Disney is spending enough money at this point that the ways they've devised to increase cost to consumer justified?

Or is it just a narrow "well actually in addition to building a new ride they also have to build another bathroom and a couple more food carts." In which case, who cares then, do that in addition to building another quiet mid level dark ride. It's all just a matter of "money needs to flow in from both directions." At bottom, it simply does not feel like the company is investing appropriately given the amount they're asking guests to contribute, especially when their road map puts "a copy of an animatronic on one attraction" literally on the same level as entire new lands at overseas parks.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 26, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, fair. I've gone way too deep into the sarcasm well chasing some shifting goalposts. We don't actually know if Disney does want to expand capacity or is just happy to squeeze existing capacity for more pennies and call that "growth".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Zero One posted:

Supposedly Epcot has no capacity limit like the other parks. Maybe it technically does but it's so high there is no chance of reaching it.

However if you have ever been to Epcot on New Year's Eve you would see how huge crowds just make the experience miserable. Just people packed shoulder to shoulder. It took me 30 mins just to push through the UK.

I did NYE 2014 into 2015 at Epcot and when I got there, the park seemed fine, and was pretty much tolerable until about 40 minutes until Midnight, and it was like the crowd tuned into jello. I watched crowd control cast members just give up because there wasn't anything they could do.

and then getting out of the park and back to my college program housing was a 2 hour ordeal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's involved in the college program? Due to silliness me and my wife both ended up heading back to education at the same time in our 30s, so we were joking about doing it at the time if not for the lack of an Ireland pavillion in Epcot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

What's involved in the college program? Due to silliness me and my wife both ended up heading back to education at the same time in our 30s, so we were joking about doing it at the time if not for the lack of an Ireland pavillion in Epcot.

Living in lovely dorms, working the worst jobs for less than minimum wage, and waiting 3 hours for the bus to take you to Target or Disney springs

But you can go to the parks a lot and probably have a lot of sex

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They get paid $14 an hour now. Some of the jobs you might get are awful, some will be a blast and you'll have a ton of memorable experiences and stories. It reaaalllly heavily depends on what job you get. Do not ever do food services.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's way past being an option now anyway, but we were under the impression that we'd have to find our own living space and get cars etc, so that made it less than attractive. We also had no idea how it'd tie into our degrees at all, so that was a pretty big stumbling block. Might have been worth it for the stories alone though.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah even back in 2011 I was making more than minimum wage. Not much more but Florida was 7.24 an hour haha.

I look back fondly on my CP. I bummed around working the pirates ride for six months before finishing up my degree. I came back on a professional internship after graduation which led me down my meandering Disney career. PI’s are more focused on your field - there are graphic design pi’s, engineering ones, marketing ones, etc. Easier to end up in a backstage role after that, which I did.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would definitely read this article before considering living anywhere near Orlando

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/kissimmee-star-motel/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cais posted:

Yeah even back in 2011 I was making more than minimum wage. Not much more but Florida was 7.24 an hour haha.

The below min wage comment was mostly tied to the fact that they take housing directly out of their pay if they're in the CP housing, which definitely makes up a majority of their pay now.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Bottom Liner posted:

The below min wage comment was mostly tied to the fact that they take housing directly out of their pay if they're in the CP housing, which definitely makes up a majority of their pay now.

Yeah, I think Chatham was like $105/week or 15ish hours of your weekly paycheck then. Doesn’t look like that’s changed much.

Still half of what I paid for my last college apartment so cheap as hell.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I ended up at The Commons in my second half of my program after they opened it up to regular CPs instead of just international CPs, and my paycheck took a beating. I almost never struggled with money on my CP prior to that, but that made me the model of "poor struggling CP CM" would not recommend.

But I loved my job, and it got me, eventually, to my dream job in the parks, so it worked out well. I am sad my body basically fell apart and prevented me from continuing because I'd have stayed a lot longer, even with all the covid nonsense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cais posted:

Yeah, I think Chatham was like $105/week or 15ish hours of your weekly paycheck then. Doesn’t look like that’s changed much.

:stare:

I think at the exchange rate of the time that's about 30% of what I was paying at home. Might have been worth doing just to save money :v:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cais posted:

So you’re saying the monthly rent was 420?

Checks out.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I ended up at The Commons in my second half of my program after they opened it up to regular CPs instead of just international CPs, and my paycheck took a beating. I almost never struggled with money on my CP prior to that, but that made me the model of "poor struggling CP CM" would not recommend.

But I loved my job, and it got me, eventually, to my dream job in the parks, so it worked out well. I am sad my body basically fell apart and prevented me from continuing because I'd have stayed a lot longer, even with all the covid nonsense.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your job when you worked there?

Working at Disney just seems neat to me (at least for a few moments while I pretend they pay people enough to live).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's worth saying the unions are currently winning the fight towards $20 min. That might finally catch up to the cost of living here.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

are the new magicbands waterproof? with the charging port on the back I am planning on taking an old one to swim with if needed, but I can't find good info on the internet

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

It's worth saying the unions are currently winning the fight towards $20 min. That might finally catch up to the cost of living here.

That would be great but I’m sure the agreement will be something like “…by 2030.”

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nah, they already got 18 and are pushing for 20 faster now from what I understand.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Off-topic question, but anyone familiar with the Orlando area to give recommendations on other interesting things to do nearby?

A family member bought a house in the area and it'd be nice to have a list of places to go to during short visits with them.

Already have the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex on my list. Would also love any smaller, goofy roadside tourist traps to check out. And the best mini-golf in the area.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The best mini golf is at Universal or Disney.

Downtown Orlando has lots of cool stuff depending on what you like (theaters, museums, clubs, etc).

For tourist trap stuff there is I Drive but outside of that you can go to Gatorland. Fantasy of Flight is a cool aviation museum closer to Lakeland (https://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection/).

There are some nice state parks further north of Orlando with natural springs you can swim or see manatees (look up Blue Spring or Wekiwa Spring).

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Don't forget there's also Legoland in the area, I think a lot of people overlook it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Since you mentioned the Cape, what qualifies as “nearby”?

I don’t think I’d usually call a ~90 minute drive nearby, but if a person did then you’d also include everything in Tampa and also St. Augustine.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Splash Mountain to close on January 23rd :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Have they said if it’s going to be part of the New Orleans theme area yet? I think everyone is assuming because IMO it makes perfect sense, but where would that leave my precious Winnie the Pooh section?

I’m glad they’re re-theming it, I never saw the movie it’s currently based on so have no love for the hillbilly animals. Princess and the Frog is really good and I think more kids will like that, plus it still has southern-talking animals so it’s not like it’s totally different anyway. If Splash was already called “dark nawlins bayou journey” it would still fit and make perfect sense. They could just throw a tiana animatronic in there and call it a day, and it would totally work.

Also I posted a few months ago about being too chicken to go on Splash and since then I go on just about every time I visit DLR, and I just went on the incredicoaster too. Someone in this thread pointed out that Disney is in the business of family fun, not so much super scary thrilling rides. It’s definitely true. They are very creative in how they make these things *look* intense on the outside, but making the actual ride experience more of a rollicking fun time. My magic key expires in January and I’m not renewing, so I’m very happy to have come to this realization before then and get a chance to try everything (except mission breakout - looks too scary😬)

E: wait I forgot DisneyWorld has Splash too - is that closure for just one of them or both?