Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/colourmeamused_/status/1596116629355892736
Complaining about using the death of a child for gain using your own child as example, and then being called out like this is brutal. A normal person would dissapear off the face of the earth after this, I'm sure Elon will just post "oopsies 🤣" and post a meme about abortions or something

holy smokes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rigel posted:

Related to this, I'm really curious about what kind of complete imbecile decided that it would be a good idea to completely shun LIDAR and just assume they can program their way into making cameras work. Since this is an Elon company and its clear now that he's a loving idiot with no empathy, I'm wondering if maybe his engineers and lawyers wanted to use LIDAR as a backup but maybe this was one of the few times Elon broke free of containment by his Elon-wranglers and insisted they go without.

I guess maybe it might make sense from a ruthless capitalism context if you think you can just budget for the legal cost of killing people until you can finally figure out how to make it work (which is not a given, getting machines to drive safely 99.99%+ of the time just through vision is loving hard), but as soulless as corporations are, they do understand liability risk and will usually avoid situations that are hilariously dangerous to the company's future for short-term profit. Not always, but usually.

Allegedly Elon was big on insisting "if other people do it we should be different just to be different". A bunch of Tesla's problem are supposedly rooted in that, because even down to common-sense machining/assembly practices were not allowed. Gotta be different and break the mould!!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

learnincurve posted:

Stewart lee pointed out, a lot of British gammons are confusing "woke" with basic health and safety regulations as well now. One I have personally heard is "the woke are making passengers wear seatbelts in cars, it's disgusting"

Correctly fighting against the smothering woke regulations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

what the hell is right wing art

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Strategic Tea posted:

No, same Octavian! I suppose I mean charitable from a moral point of view, and on the question of whether he actually wanted to become history's most successful dictator.

A bunch of sources, including one he wrote himself, imply he was all but screaming at the surviving senators to show some backbone and start running civil society like they used to. On the other hand he'd appointed himself personally to all their top offices, and much like modern Russia almost everyone who wasn't a toady was already dead.

I like him too though and am inclined to think he was at least partly sincere - which transforms him from wildly successful to someone who couldn't quite reassemble the society he wanted.

The Late Republic's main issue was that the Senate had become the most undemocratic institution possible, to the point of dysfunction, all in an effort to "own the plebes" by the Patrician class.

The Civil Wars and Progroms had also drained Rome of anyone but fail-sons and idiots in that class, so Octavian was trying to rebuild a civil society from square one. His own Progrom hosed things up horribly too and killed quite a few great minds/ voices he didn't have to when he initially made the Triumvirate with that moron Marc Antony.

Anyway, for Musk related content:

"I AM NEITHER RIGHT NOR LEFT: I AM A PERFECT SIMULCRUM OF HUMANITIY'S GREAT GENIUS IN THIS ARTIFICIAL REALITY, BY THE WAY HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT HUNTER BIDEN'S LAPTOP AND HOW JE-UHHH, FTX RUNS THE WORLD?!"

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 25, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

I keep seeing the "woke" stuff a lot in American media. Like, A LOT. It seems to be a huge topic of debate in your country and one I barely hear about in my own.

What is it about? What is it about the woke stuff they dislike and how does it affect their lives so strongly? Can someone just break it down neatly

Have you heard the term culture war? It was a fox news talking point back in the 2000's

At my office, wokeness is plot by blackrock, george soros and "banks" to destory the christian family, and take down western civilization.

If you go to the internet a bunch of old fat men, seem to be very angry over wokeness because it made star wars bad. God help you if you point out that that 50 year old movie about space wizards wasnt that good to start with.

Edit:

so take this tweet here

If I showed this to Skylar our file clerk. He would explain that alex jones has a mark on him, and elon must obey his masters.

Honestly though Elon is doing the very thing hes accursing jones of. I feel for the mom you dont blast that poo poo on the internet.

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 25, 2022

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I love the posts about Musk being manic or what have you.

I mean, he may be. But at his core he's a narcissistic fuckwit and he attracts other narcissistic fuckwits like that dude who thinks social justice somehow impacts his enthusiasm for consumer goods.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:ohno:

What the actual gently caress :wtc:

His stans really do just want to gently caress him

With content like this being posted by the CEO, just :yikes:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

:ohno:

What the actual gently caress :wtc:

His stans really do just want to gently caress him

With content like this being posted by the CEO, just :yikes:

The extreme nature of it makes me think/ hope it's a joke post but...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

:patriot: thank mr presdent

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Exactly

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The extreme nature of it makes me think/ hope it's a joke post but...

Yeah same. It really shouldn't be this hard to tell.

I mean if they are trolling, top points.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 25, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

*sees a trans person on tv*

THE WOKE MIND VIRUS!!!

*farts, shits self, passes out in a rage*

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
When parody becomes indistinguishable from the real thing...

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Rigel posted:

Related to this, I'm really curious about what kind of complete imbecile decided that it would be a good idea to completely shun LIDAR and just assume they can program their way into making cameras work. Since this is an Elon company and its clear now that he's a loving idiot with no empathy, I'm wondering if maybe his engineers and lawyers wanted to use LIDAR as a backup but maybe this was one of the few times Elon broke free of containment by his Elon-wranglers and insisted they go without.

I guess maybe it might make sense from a ruthless capitalism context if you think you can just budget for the legal cost of killing people until you can finally figure out how to make it work (which is not a given, getting machines to drive safely 99.99%+ of the time just through vision is loving hard), but as soulless as corporations are, they do understand liability risk and will usually avoid situations that are hilariously dangerous to the company's future for short-term profit. Not always, but usually.

Didn't their LIDAR partner pull out (unlike Elon) of the partnership because the stuff Tesla was making their self driving cars do was dangerous and they didn't want to be liable.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lmao. Justine on some reasons why her marriage to Elon failed.

Wilson later wrote an article for Marie Claire detailing ways in which she thought the marriage was unhealthy such as Musk's dismissal of her career ambitions, his description of himself as the "alpha" in the relationship, and his pressure for her to become a trophy wife.

Buddy, if you are calling yourself an '''Alpha''', you can be sure as poo poo you aren't one.

One of their kids dumped the Musk name for Wilson cos they are sick of Elon. Happened this year.

Top guy

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Elon seems like the kind of guy who revokes your man card if you order a salad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sandweed posted:

Didn't their LIDAR partner pull out (unlike Elon) of the partnership because the stuff Tesla was making their self driving cars do was dangerous and they didn't want to be liable.

IIRC it wasn’t LIDAR, it was MobileEye (who dominated the driver-assist space for ages) using video only as well but felt that Tesla was using their stuff inappropriately.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Sandweed posted:

Yeah, the LIDAR company they were using pulled out because they didn't want their good name ruined by Tesla.

So afterward Musk of course pretended this was by design.

:smuggo: Humans use eyes, cameras are sufficient
:smuggo: All input is error

That last one is particularly dumb.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Stewart lee pointed out, a lot of British gammons are confusing "woke" with basic health and safety regulations as well now. One I have personally heard is "the woke are making passengers wear seatbelts in cars, it's disgusting"
Any request to consider one's own actions, no matter how politely phrased, no matter how minor, whether coming from a foundation of basic human decency or fundamental physical safety, all gets wrapped up as "woke elitist PC nonsense" and smugly discarded. These people have constructed an absolute inviolable psychic wall against any and all introspection whatsoever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ehud posted:

Elon seems like the kind of guy who revokes your man card if you order a salad.

What an alpha....

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

The Late Republic's main issue was that the Senate had become the most undemocratic institution possible, to the point of dysfunction, all in an effort to "own the plebes" by the Patrician class.

The Civil Wars and Progroms had also drained Rome of anyone but fail-sons and idiots in that class, so Octavian was trying to rebuild a civil society from square one. His own Progrom hosed things up horribly too and killed quite a few great minds/ voices he didn't have to when he initially made the Triumbirate with that moron Marc Antony.

To expand on this, the late republic was fundamentally hosed. Most of the land, that was once small farm holdings, was concentrated in the hands of the elite. Those mega estates were run with slave labour, which was plentiful after many wars of conquest. This left vastly reduced wages for the poor, if they could find work at all. This fueled an ever growing urban class of poor, ready to be whipped up into a frenzy by whatever populist came along. Any attempt at reform was blocked by the established interests in the senate.

Long standing norms, traditions, and eventually laws, such as term limits, were broken every more frequently by ambitious politicians. Scandals that might have ended a political career in an earlier era led to fewer and fewer consequences.

Combine this with an army that was mostly comprised of these landless poor (prior to the Marian reforms, service in the military required a certain level of wealth depending on the role, as you had to buy your own equipment. As a consequence, the pre-Marian legions comprised a more balanced cross-section of the population). The legionairies in the late republic had limited loyalty to a state that spits on them, but a lot of loyalty to their charismatic commanders.

In short, there was no way this wasn't going to end up in a dictatorship of some sort. Luckily for us, our society has none of these problems.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What an alpha....

(groimes, im da elpha in dis relashenship alroight?)
\

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
So musk has now confirmed that there will be a tiered checkmark system after all

Gold for companies, grey for government, and blue for individuals (which anyone can have)

Lol (or, indeed 🤣)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/colourmeamused_/status/1596116629355892736
Complaining about using the death of a child for gain using your own child as example, and then being called out like this is brutal. A normal person would dissapear off the face of the earth after this, I'm sure Elon will just post "oopsies 🤣" and post a meme about abortions or something

Yeah he's really got the whole Trump thing down with the just constant wanton outright lying. This loving absolute guy man

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Roblo posted:

So musk has now confirmed that there will be a tiered checkmark system after all

Gold for companies, grey for government, and blue for individuals (which anyone can have)

Lol (or, indeed 🤣)

Stupid, but less stupid than other ways they could go from here. Guessing this is them trying to do something to stop companies to leave. As long as the site continues to get flooded with bots and nazi types probably won't work thou.

Kale
May 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao it really is just performative masculinity in a field where results speak for themselves. Good loving luck buddy.

Is this right wing grievance filled enough for Elon to make him the new CEO yet? Does he need to pass the interview with group interview with Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson, Andrew Tate and Catturd2 first?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Anyone else getting nothing but lovely meme aggregators with random URLs as their promoted tweets?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crymetimeboys posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596083744728928257?s=46&t=nQJBcVqkLudmyzj-Y9pyKg

Elon's lack of conventional directional sense must be why Teslas are so accident-prone.

But I thought this wasn't a right wing takeover of twitter? Elon? He legit seems more interested in right wing bullshit right now than running a successful company with real growth potential.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Crymetimeboys posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596083744728928257?s=46&t=nQJBcVqkLudmyzj-Y9pyKg

Elon's lack of conventional directional sense must be why Teslas are so accident-prone.

The CEO of twitter earnestly posting very neutrally about the WOKE MIND VIRUS, just in case anyone still using Twitter has no clue what’s his ideology (NEUTRAL 100% balanced ofc)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kale posted:

Is this right wing grievance filled enough for Elon to make him the new CEO yet? Does he need to pass the interview with group interview with Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson, Andrew Tate and Catturd2 first?

It's hard to think of a CEO worse for twitter than Elon, but if he does go with some random kiss-rear end sycophant, by god he may actually manage to find one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jesus Christ, this is the tech-fetishist version of that pokemon-and-spaghetti dipshit from a month or so ago. You want to be twelve again, dude. It's not the world, it's you.

Dehry posted:

I was curious to see what the conservative take on this was while at Thansgiving dinner, and all I got was that George Soros and the Clinton Foundation sent a letter to Twitter investors before they moved on to talking about my transgender relative.

Would have been cooler if it was George Clinton and the Soros foundation. :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

would love to see some right funded "art"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

dr_rat posted:

Stupid, but less stupid than other ways they could go from here. Guessing this is them trying to do something to stop companies to leave. As long as the site continues to get flooded with bots and nazi types probably won't work thou.

Oh indeed, it probably is the least stupid thing to do right now. But its pretty much going back on the whole reason for allowing everyone to be verified in the first place. Except now it's just making GBS threads on celebrities as opposed to everyone.

I'm waiting for the floodgates to be opened next week myself, it's going to be hideous.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

It's also just a... maturing industry. Things were way different in the 90s but it's not because of MBAs and SJWs. Doom I/II was made by what, a dozen people? Doom 2016 was at least 1200

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/doom___/credits

At that point you need professional management, PMs, accountants and all that fun stuff. You can't cowboy am AAA game any more. lovely indie stuff doesn't count.

The best games I've played in the last half-decade have all been "lovely indie games." :colbert:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I personally want to see how he is going to implement the system where you pay money to dm and harass celebrities

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

The Civil Wars and Progroms had also drained Rome of anyone but fail-sons and idiots in that class, so Octavian was trying to rebuild a civil society from square one. His own Progrom hosed things up horribly too and killed quite a few great minds/ voices he didn't have to when he initially made the Triumbirate with that moron Marc Antony.

Are you thinking of the Populares vs the Optimates here? Because patrician vs plebe hadn't really been a major conflict for hundreds of years by the time Augustus rolls around. And characterizing the Populares vs Optimates conflict as patrician vs plebe feels wrong when the leaders of both factions were all patricians. There's also the realization that the office of Tribune of the Plebs had the power to veto any and all new laws, which often meant that the two tribunes, if they cooperated, were the most powerful elected officials in all of Rome. You had patricians renouncing their status as patricians just so that they could be elected to this office, so there's a lot more going on just before Ceasar/Augustus than a patrician vs plebe.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Lots of people have been talking about why the Code Review poo poo that Elon has been pulling is dumb, but no-one's really explained why. So I've made an attempt to try and explain to a lay person what it actually is that makes this process such a terrible idea.

Code exists in a context
A piece of code is written to add functionality to a larger system, and the way it's written and how it works is highly dependent on how that larger system works. Your ability to judge that code is therefore dependent on how much you know about that system. I have 20+ years experience as gameplay programmer, and I wouldn't be able to review twitter's back end code even if it were written in C++, in the same way a twitter coder wouldn't be able to review mine. The contextual knowledge simply isn't there.

Even if you DO have that knowledge, you still need to speak to the coder because this poo poo is complicated and you yourself might be missing something. Sometimes I review something my colleague wrote and think "that's dumb, why did you do it like that?", so I go ask them and they explain, and I realize that it's actually a reasonable solution because of some complex detail about the system I didn't know.

The idea that an outsider like Elon could properly review twitter production code is absurd, he has no idea about the context of the code and one evening session scribbling diagrams on a whiteboard isn't even close to enough to give that.

Code is simple, knowing what to code is hard
Often when writing a piece of code, the majority of your time is spent trying to figure out the best approach to whatever problem you're trying to solve. Often a coder will go through several possible solutions before settling on one that is the best. There are a lot of factors to consider, for example:

- Will it run efficiently and quickly?
- If the system changes, will my code break?
- Can I reuse other code for this, to save time and prevent bugs?
- Can my code be reused for other problems I'll have in the future?

This means that you might spend 75% of their time thinking or experimenting or whatever your process is, while only spending 25% physically typing in the actual code to make it go. That resulting code might look really short and really simple, but that doesn't mean the coder is lazy or that the process to make that code was easy. Quite often it's the opposite!

Debugging is even worse, you could spend literally weeks going through code trying to identify a bug, only to discover that someone left out a minus sign in a single line of code somewhere. To someone like Elon, 80 hours to write a single character into a file would look appalling, but that 80 hours could have fixed a massive problem impacting thousands of users.

Bad code isn't the end of the world
This is probably going to be a controversial thing to say, but lots of very intelligent people write objectively bad code. Code which is hard to maintain or re-use. Code which is ugly, inelegant and inefficient. In the end though, on a practical level, if the code gets the job done that is often enough! Sometimes you look at a colleague's code and think it sucks, while at the same time being impressed that it actually solves an issue in a clever way that you would not have been able to do yourself.

The point is that if the coder has brains and talent, then that can be more valuable than the ability to write "good" code. We can teach people to write better code, we can't teach them to have more talent.

Elon's purge is guaranteed to get rid of talented, valuable people for bullshit reasons like "not enough comments in the header file" or "poor choice of variable names" or whatever else he read about in "Coding Standards for Dummies"

Conclusion
The best person to review code is another coder who works in the same area as the person being reviewed. For that to work you need competent coders who you can trust to be fair, and objective. Elon only trusts himself, so he's doomed to failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

kazil posted:

would love to see some right funded "art"

Get hype for the 2023 reboot of The Triumph of the Will! First movie in the right-wing cinematic universe!