Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this posting superiority or supremacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Top of the page is clearly superiority.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the assignment was to write about a confounding experience arguing from a place of expertise, not just another post about how all your war opinions are right and other posters are wrong. D-

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

the assignment was to write about a confounding experience arguing from a place of expertise, not just another post about how all your war opinions are right and other posters are wrong. D-

Also, no citations, re-do or it will be not considered a complete assignment

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1596147307749281793?s=20&t=2Te3H4gffBy-XK6rizvXhg

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

this is more or less the most respectable position one can have in my country. again, coverage on the issue was mostly restricted to "while russia protests her innocence, our experts say that it could be a means of applying further pressure on the european energy supply in order to get concessions" - with all the obvious objections simply left unstated and unexplored.

My favorite recent example was TV2 having two articles literally side by side, one was "Ukraine has absolutely no incentive to lie about Russian missiles hitting Poland, say experts", and the other was Ukraine changing their story.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

quote:

We asked Hodges if he believed that could work — if Russia could be trusted.

"Absolutely not," replied the long-time U.S. Army officer, adding that he would ask those people "which part of their country or their home state are they willing to give up if Russia said, 'Hey, look, we just want a little bit of Florida, or let us have New England, and then we'll promise not to use nuclear weapons.'"

i have an idea

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so what youre saying is that bugs bunny is a russian agent this is most disturbing news

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://censor.net/ru/news/3382770/mera_harkova_terehova_oshtrafovali_za_ispolzovanie_russkogo_yazyka_vo_vremya_obrascheniyi_k_grajdanam

quote:

The mayor of Kharkiv Terekhov was fined for using the Russian language during appeals to citizens.

Kharkiv mayor Igor Terekhov was fined 3,400 hryvnia for using non-state speech in social networks and speaking on the air of the telethon.

This was reported by Censor.NET with a link to the Facebook page of the Commissioner for the Protection of the State Language Taras Kremen .

"The Commissioner passed a resolution on the imposition of an administrative penalty in the form of a fine for violating the Law of Ukraine "On Ensuring the Functioning of the Ukrainian Language as the State Language" by Kharkiv Mayor Igor Terekhov. United News" used a non-state language, which violated the first part of Article 12 of the Law," the report says.

Terekhov must pay a fine of UAH 3,400.

In addition, Commissioner Taras Kremin issued a resolution imposing an administrative penalty in the form of a warning for violation of part 6 of article 27 of the Law of Ukraine "On Ensuring the Functioning of the Ukrainian Language as the State Language", according to which the official Internet representations of the Kharkiv mayor on Facebook and Telegram should be presented on state language.

The rulings will enter into force upon the expiration of the deadline for their appeal - December 4, 2022.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

That was similar to my experience early on and throughout summer when dealing with people convinced of the wisdom of Russian Deep Operations or convinced this would be the war where more indiscriminate firepower would equal destruction of national will of defending armies and civilians, or who were convinced that the Ukrainian military was a rotten door waiting to collapse or that the Russians won the air war early or were convinced that any evidence that the Russian army was stalling was actually good news for Russia, just off screen. Or whatever other poorly justified idea held on a mix of faith or just reading garbage accounts all day and losing grips with very easily verifiable info.

Similar feeling when talking with the overly wishfully pro-Ukraine crowd who convinced themselves that Russia’s failure in attacking Kyiv by land equaled “Ukraine already won” in back March. Or are waiting for Ukraine to literally retake every square centimeter of previously held territory, with a confidence of inevitability.

what

speng31b
May 8, 2010

im going to start a donation drive to pay this guys $92 fine back with interest, mods please sticky tia

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ukraine is a big place, are they serious about the “big israel” thing and in 20 years we’re going to see news reports about illegal settlements in the east with a russian speaking “palestinian” population under constant harassment

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

only a little bit of florida? are you sure you don't want the entire thing?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

ukraine is a big place, are they serious about the “big israel” thing and in 20 years we’re going to see news reports about illegal settlements in the east with a russian speaking “palestinian” population under constant harassment

wasnt that already happening

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Jel Shaker posted:

When Israel has been invoked it is citing in the armed forces continuing to have a public presence in every part of life; not that (though it won't be pretty for ethnic Russians).

sube
Nov 7, 2022

What Zelensky said on the matter specifically:

quote:

"We will become a ‘big Israel’ with its own face. We will not be surprised if we have representatives of the Armed Forces or the National Guard in cinemas, supermarkets, and people with weapons. I am confident that the question of security will be the issue number one for the next 10 years. I am sure of it.”

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sube posted:

What Zelensky said on the matter specifically:

lol I realize that doesn't void the proportionality or military necessity required for targeting those under LOAC, but saying "we will have combatants in cinemas, supermarkets" is more than a bit reckless, all things considered.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

we will have soldiers on every street, every corner, and we will finally be a democracy

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I realize that doesn't void the proportionality or military necessity required for targeting those under LOAC, but saying "we will have combatants in cinemas, supermarkets" is more than a bit reckless, all things considered.

he's not taking about the war, though, he's talking about his vision of a state with a hyper nationalistic military culture where ethnic cleansing can be carried about by the SBU matter of factly as a course of daily life

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y3XLGAOYGYA

:canada:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSHr6wFkgQ

:britain:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

"This guy wanted to cause a revolution"

Chretien, lmao.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1596167073343967232

(They aren’t wrong)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putin admitting that some posters here are right

РБК posted:

The annexation of Donbass to Russia should have happened earlier, President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting with the mothers of servicemen participating in a special military operation.

"We proceeded from the assumption that it might be possible to agree that Luhansk and Donetsk could reunite with Ukraine within the framework of the Minsk agreements. We were sincerely working towards it," the president said.

He noted that at the time, the Russian authorities "didn't fully feel the mood of the people. "It was impossible to understand what was going on there," Putin specified.

"Now it has become obvious that this reunification [with Russia] should have happened sooner. Maybe there wouldn't have been so many civilian casualties, there wouldn't have been so many children killed by shelling," the president concluded.
(from t.me/rbc_news/63618, via tgsa)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

tankie pope

Al Jazeera posted:

Ukraine’s leaders will have to be “far-sighted” to secure peace, Pope Francis says, suggesting that Kyiv would have to make concessions.

The pope earlier this month called for a ceasefire to avert the risk of escalation of the conflict and asked God to “hurry up” to end it.

In an open letter to mark the nine-month anniversary of the Russian invasion, Francis praised the strength of Ukrainians in the face of the onslaught.

“The world has recognised a bold and strong people, a people that suffers and prays, cries and struggles, resists and hopes: A noble and martyred people,” he wrote.

He also said he was praying for Ukraine’s rulers.

“On them lies the duty to govern the country in tragic times and to make far-sighted decisions for peace and to develop the economy during the destruction of so much vital infrastructure.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry y'all but if the Pope says Ukraine has to make concessions he literally can't be wrong about that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-planned-attack-japan-2021-fsb-letters-1762133

Lmfao at this article, but atleast we get this image out of it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lenin is smiling at me, nazbol. can you say the same?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
the red is putins farts lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The FSB agent writing the letter

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1596129288860106753

e: apparently the kyiv post blue check types are posting about how this SBU raid outed the Orthodox priests as gay, and the nafo takes are about as deranged as you'd expect

speng31b has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Nov 25, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is the law that passed years ago that makes it so any official that speaks russian without being directed to use the language can be fined/imprisoned. That is, if you hear people speaking russian and you engage them in russian then you are violating it, they have to tell you to speak to them in russian. Of course that was the first version of it and I'm sure that they'll implement an even crazier version of it in the coming months/years and you'll idiots pop up saying that ukraine doesnt discriminate against russian speakers or "gently caress around and find out"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is the law that passed years ago that makes it so any official that speaks russian without being directed to use the language can be fined/imprisoned. That is, if you hear people speaking russian and you engage them in russian then you are violating it, they have to tell you to speak to them in russian. Of course that was the first version of it and I'm sure that they'll implement an even crazier version of it in the coming months/years and you'll idiots pop up saying that ukraine doesnt discriminate against russian speakers or "gently caress around and find out"

who was that guy who argued for multiple pages in the old thread that there was no evidence of discrimination targeting Russian speakers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

who was that guy who argued for multiple pages in the old thread that there was no evidence of discrimination targeting Russian speakers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=229003

I am sure they'll show up here eventually.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

HIMARS 75% off today

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

speng31b posted:

In some ways mlmp's post is more interesting, it's hardly surprising that FF knows more than people or that those people refuse to accept his argument from authority when it conflicts with the 'experts' on the news, but I feel confident in asserting mlmp understands what's going on far better than 90% of people and that's truly disturbing.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

January 6 Survivor posted:

FF if it makes you feel better if we were at a dinner party and you started talking about artillery I'd just listen

I'd pay his beer so he continues. Artillery beats pretty much any other subject you can up with at a dinner anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly thanksgiving argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

In some ways mlmp's post is more interesting, it's hardly surprising that FF knows more than people or that those people refuse to accept his argument from authority when it conflicts with the 'experts' on the news, but I feel confident in asserting mlmp understands what's going on far better than 90% of people and that's truly disturbing.

90% of people... in the sense the general population barely remembers there is a war in Ukraine. His criticisms of FF have been re-litigated many many many times. Unless the desire to challenge people to posting combat, what is there really to say?