Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

t a s t e posted:

Someone else is bound to have a relative that washed out of a second tier European league and is need of a job

Can I tell you about how Gio Reyna got his name…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

t a s t e posted:

Glad to showcase stars of the domestic league on the world’s biggest stage

lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Can I tell you about how Gio Reyna got his name…

Please no

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Please no

He’s free, World Cup experience…

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why does the US team keep giving the ball to that Pulisic guy for set pieces, he's insanely bad at them

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

the subs were all downgrades which is to be expected w/ reyna not getting on the pitch for whatever reason, but good god acosta on for musah was exceptionally dire.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1594812019823321097

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1594813492762402818

Its hard to parse this exactly and Gregg is probably being deliberately unclear about what his situation is, but Reyna played in 8 matches for Dortmund between 10/22 and 11/11 so I don't think there is any need to get him up to speed. And jordan morris is better in bench pressing and probably nothing else relative to gio reyna

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1594818057347928066

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 21, 2022

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1594812019823321097

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1594813492762402818

Its hard to parse this exactly and Gregg is probably being deliberately unclear about what his situation is, but Reyna played in 8 matches for Dortmund between 10/22 and 11/11 so I don't think there is any need to get him up to speed. And jordan morris is better in bench pressing and probably nothing else relative to gio reyna

Speed and Power

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

*Not Mad voice*

what they needed was creativity, not "speed and power" gently caress!

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Mustard Iceman posted:

Oh well at least in 2026 it'll only be two matches of disappointment instead of three.

I highly doubt this, since presumably the host(s) will still be in first basket, and will get one semi-good and presumably one horrid team into their "group" of 3 and they only need to win the horrid team to get to the 3rd disappointing game

ohmygodIhatethe2026system so much

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I would think you’d want the lebron of soccer on throw-ins rather than set pieces

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I only tune in for football for the world cup so its been a while. But what was up with like half the players cramping at the end?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

I only tune in for football for the world cup so its been a while. But what was up with like half the players cramping at the end?

they were very aggressively pressing and half of them are coming off a variety of small injuries so they probably aren't 90 minute fit

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i finally looked up the whole "lebron james of soccer" thing thinking it was some tone deaf hype video or w/e but oh my god it's from pawn stars lmaooooooooooo that's so much better

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Don't even know who you would hire

I would start with someone competent, but they haven't managed that literally ever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Big Black Dick posted:

I would start with someone competent, but they haven't managed that literally ever.

If we're ruling out competency, I'm available.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I, for one, am looking forward to the US getting got 8-nil on Friday.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why the gently caress does this sport allow draws in the first round.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Narcissus1916 posted:

Why the gently caress does this sport allow draws in the first round.

Cos sometimes neither team deserves to win OP

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Forceholy posted:

I, for one, am looking forward to the US getting got 8-nil-hilated on Friday.

ftfy

Big Black Dick posted:

Is Claudio (big daddy) Reyna coaching?

edit- Hugo Perez is who I was thinking of last year. He was very good with a terrible side.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 22, 2022

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
just saw a headline that Bruce Arena says this group of players isn't ready for a World Cup. I truly take his word for it, as he is an expert in the field

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is Claudio (big daddy) Reyna coaching?

He's the sporting director at Austin FC (and previously had the same job at NYCFC) and afaict has never had a coaching gig. I'm sure if he were hired this would give the collective USMNT fanbase an aneurysm because he'd be a hire from MLS which means I am 100% behind this decision.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Crossposting from the England thread

Some of this guy's usual bread and butter on youtube is tactical previews for upcoming Man United matches and they're usually pretty good (he's a coach of a team himself in the lower leagues).

His England v USA preview is pretty good including "Lebron James of soccer" mention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdG-O97c34
There's an in video ad from 3:17 to 4:40.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Do you believe that you will win?

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Do you believe that you will win?

I believe that we can maybe draw

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Hopefully gregg has been bullied into playing our most talented player instead of jordan morris

Also start aaronson

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Think I might wear a bolo tie and cowboy hat to the pub later to indicate I am supporting ABE (Anyone But England)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Think I might wear a bolo tie and cowboy hat to the pub later to indicate I am supporting ABE (Anyone But England)

Poor fuckers might think you’re singing and clear out though, just wear a top

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Akbar posted:

I believe that we can maybe draw

This. I'd be pretty happy with a draw.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I totally didn't know the full world cup history of England v US

One win, one draw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twerking on the railroad posted:

One win, one draw

1776, 1812

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

twerking on the railroad posted:

One win, one draw

My uncle was at the win. Then that night the BYU basketball team was touring South America and was playing the local club America, where this uncle played. My father did not attend the soccer game, but was at the basketball game, and the US team was there too, apparently intoxicated and very popular with local ladies.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How much does the math change for the US now that Iran beat Wales?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How much does the math change for the US now that Iran beat Wales?

The Iran game is now essentially Must Win. Even if the US draws with England, they'd finish on 3 points with a draw vs Iran while Iran would finish with 4. England would finish with at least 4, and as many as 7.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The Iran game became a must-win as soon as Zimmerman took his stupid loving penalty.

Not much changes unless the US loses by 3 or more. If the US loses by 1 or 2, then a win over Iran will put them in 2nd place (unless Wales somehow beats England).

Iran’s consolation goal in the 103rd minute against England and their second goal against Wales in the 101st minute may end up playing a huge role. If Iran’s goal differential was -4, the US could get shithoused today and still have a chance. Like, if the US loses 3-0 today, they’d have to win by 4 against Iran to go through.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Oh yeah, Wales are terrible and how did we not beat them

:negative:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Aggro posted:

The Iran game became a must-win as soon as Zimmerman took his stupid loving penalty.

Not much changes unless the US loses by 3 or more. If the US loses by 1 or 2, then a win over Iran will put them in 2nd place (unless Wales somehow beats England).

Iran’s consolation goal in the 103rd minute against England and their second goal against Wales in the 101st minute may end up playing a huge role. If Iran’s goal differential was -4, the US could get shithoused today and still have a chance. Like, if the US loses 3-0 today, they’d have to win by 4 against Iran to go through.

iran is on 3 points not 4. There is no scenario where the U.S. and Iran tie on points. There is a scenario where Wales beat England and GD matters for the U.S. against Wales, but otherwise its just win and in for the u.s. and win/draw and in for Iran. Unless the U.S. actually beats England and then the math gets messier, but even then goal difference could only come into play for the U.S. against England or Wales

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Ah poo poo, my bad. Everything I wrote is complete poo poo.

Iran is a must-win game unless the USA pulls off the unthinkable, and then it’s a must-win-or-draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

My uncle was at the win. Then that night the BYU basketball team was touring South America and was playing the local club America, where this uncle played. My father did not attend the soccer game, but was at the basketball game, and the US team was there too, apparently intoxicated and very popular with local ladies.

I've seen film of that match and it was stupid how many point-blank chances England had that either the goalie stuffed or they missed. And the U.S. had the one shot on goal total, maybe 2. I think they'd had a few friendlies against the U.S. squad as a run-up and they were both around 9-0 England.