Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Ostranauts might also be this once it gets its poo poo together, but right now it still looks pretty barebones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

StoryTime posted:

There's Hardspace: Shipbreaker which has you work as a salvage person dismantling valuable parts out of massive spaceships.

Game good. Turning off the timer and meticulously cutting up a giant ship until you only have little bits left is extremely chill to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a PS4 or Switch game with a good story.

My wife loves watching me play games that almost have a cinematic-style of storytelling. Examples - Uncharted, Yakuza, God of War (2018 and Ragnarok).

So yeah, any recs of something in that vein? Some cinematic storytelling and decent gameplay?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Quarry

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oh. We’ve done all of those games.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mordiceius posted:

My wife loves watching me play games that almost have a cinematic-style of storytelling. Examples - Uncharted, Yakuza, God of War (2018 and Ragnarok).

So yeah, any recs of something in that vein? Some cinematic storytelling and decent gameplay?

Here’s what’s on my list to play through with my wife based on what I think she’d enjoy:

Control
Death Stranding (for certain definitions of “good story”)
Disco Elysium
The Forgotten City
Haven
A Hand with Many Fingers (only PC but easy to run on anything)
Heaven’s Vault
Journey
Life is Strange
Mass effect series
Metal Gear Solid 5
Night in the Woods
Outer wilds
Persona series (getting rereleased on PlayStation and Switch over this year and next)
Return of the Obra Dinn
Undertale
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (only PC but easy to run on anything)
Witcher 3

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Last of us

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

We had started Last of Us a while back and bounced off it. I can appreciate what its doing but we just couldn't handle how loving miserably depressing the game was. It's hard for us to ever be in the mood for a game that basically just wants to repeat "gently caress you, life sucks."

Cantorsdust posted:

Control
Journey
Life is Strange
Mass effect series
Metal Gear Solid 5
Outer wilds
Persona series (getting rereleased on PlayStation and Switch over this year and next)
Witcher 3

We've gone through all of these ones, I'll definitely take a look at the others.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If anyone is familiar with yugioh video games, I'm feeling a nostalgia kick so I want to play something from the original duel monsters era. Any suggestions?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

If anyone is familiar with yugioh video games, I'm feeling a nostalgia kick so I want to play something from the original duel monsters era. Any suggestions?

Duelist of the Roses is uhh.. a weird game and not especially 'YGO' but if you wanted to see the War of the Roses but with Kaiba and Kuriboh it's pretty neat.

Tag Force is GX (until it's 5D's), not DM but those area pretty good. 7 Trials To Glory is probably the best DM-era simulator. I'd also throw a "weird but fun" in for Dungeon Dice Monsters.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mordiceius posted:

We had started Last of Us a while back and bounced off it. I can appreciate what its doing but we just couldn't handle how loving miserably depressing the game was. It's hard for us to ever be in the mood for a game that basically just wants to repeat "gently caress you, life sucks."

Probably scratch Witcher 3 off the list then

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Arkham Asylum
Wonderful 101
Okami
Red Dead Redemption
Sleeping Dogs
Psychonauts
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Bastion
Transistor
Ni No Kuni
Assassin's Creed Origin
Metro 2033
Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Eric the Mauve posted:

Probably scratch Witcher 3 off the list then

While parts of Velen and Skellige do seem like peasant misery simulators sometimes, I feel like Witcher manages to rise above the misery in a way that Last of Us never did. I think the fact that you get to decide things helps a lot, so it is Gerault genuinely coming into a complicated situation and trying to figure out things instead of being on rails to fall off a cliff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tag Force is GX (until it's 5D's)

Card games on motorcycles.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Witcher 3 is a deeply hopeful game at its heart, it's not pessimistic or whatever just because bad things happen in it, but yeah if you're in a bad mood some of the individual stories can definitely be downers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes definitely, you get lots of choices to make, most of which lead to either the Very Bad Outcome or the Even Worse Outcome.

I don't mean to poo poo on what was obviously a magnificent and unparalleled game, its theme of "no matter how hard you try to help, life is still going to be horrible for almost everyone" is certainly realistic. It's just that it's maybe too realistic if your actual everyday life is already teaching you that theme and you want to play video games to get away from it for a couple hours.

Obviously that doesn't mean it should be equated to Last Of Us which is on a whole different level.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What are the best games where you pilot your own spaceship and run missions / blow poo poo up? Ideally I'm looking for single player and something that also has a faction/territory system for an end game goal.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Mordiceius posted:

It's hard for us to ever be in the mood for a game that basically just wants to repeat "gently caress you, life sucks."

I love that you’re posting this with an Emil avatar.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What are the best games where you pilot your own spaceship and run missions / blow poo poo up? Ideally I'm looking for single player and something that also has a faction/territory system for an end game goal.

The Rebel Galaxy series, though I've not yet played the second one. The first one basically has you building up your Space Barge of Death while a twangy-twang-twang southern rock soundtrack blasts every minute. It let me live out my lifelong dream of being a space white guy.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Starsector

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates :v:

But yeah, Rebel Galaxy is cool and easy to get into. The first game you fly a capital ship that only really is on a horizontal plane, but in Outlaw you have a fighter instead that has a full range of movement.

There's also the X series that I've heard things about, but also it seems pretty complicated and I don't know much directly about. It has more advanced things like territory control and empire building, and there's a thread if you wanna figure out more.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean the X games have combat and territories but the missions are going to push you towards getting a fleet, automating traders, building factories and mining operations etc. It's very cool but something like Rebel Galaxy or Freelancer is better for just shootin and explorin

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

For more old-school presentation, check out Transcendence, naEV, and Endless Sky. They're all top-down 2D sprite-based games where you fly around, blow up ships, upgrade/replace your own ship, and do missions. Transcendence is a roguelike, albeit a very forgiving one (e.g. if you die you can just choose to violate the permadeath conduct and resurrect), while the other two are based on / inspired by the old Escape Velocity series. They're all story-driven moreso than freeform faction/territory-driven though. And I forget if the story in naEV / Endless Sky is finished.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mordiceius posted:

Jedi Fallen Order

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mordiceius posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shine posted:

Card games on motorcycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Andc_YE0Vwk

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe the two Plague Tale games? "Cinematic" is definitely a word I'd use to describe them.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Any good recommendations on games where the goal is to help others or build up a town? Currently working through spiritfarer and littlewood, and I really enjoyed stardew valley.

Also thanks for the space game recommendations everyone - I’ve got a few more queued up now for that genre.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle maybe?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Any good recommendations on games where the goal is to help others or build up a town?

Ys 8

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Any good recommendations on games where the goal is to help others or build up a town? Currently working through spiritfarer and littlewood, and I really enjoyed stardew valley.

Also thanks for the space game recommendations everyone - I’ve got a few more queued up now for that genre.

I've heard Dragon Quest Builders be recommended in similar contexts. I've never played it myself though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dinkum blends Stardew Valley's homesteading with Animal Crossing's town-building. It's still in early access, but it's well worth trying.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Moonglow Bay is a cozy mission-based AC-alike about rebuilding a declining town through the power of fishing. I think it's on Game Pass too

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Shine posted:

Dinkum blends Stardew Valley's homesteading with Animal Crossing's town-building. It's still in early access, but it's well worth trying.

Dinkum looks like what I’m going for - it’s early access but on sale so I might break my No EA rule to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Coral Island also looks pretty good but is also EA and I dunno if I’m gonna roll the dice on two of them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
For PC - Horizon Zero Dawn vs Red Dead Redemption 2

If I am going to get one which one would it be? I like story-driven games more. IE Not farcry style open world, more like Witcher 3 / GTA 5 style open world.

I thought RDR 2 was going to be my best bet but then Robo Dinosaurs showed up in my queue and looked shiny and cool.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Dinkum looks like what I’m going for - it’s early access but on sale so I might break my No EA rule to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Coral Island also looks pretty good but is also EA and I dunno if I’m gonna roll the dice on two of them.

I’m actually debating between the two and probably going Dinkum because Coral Island looks like it’s going to expand a lot more and I want the mystery and newness to be there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think you'd love My Time at Portia. It's Stardew Valley except that you play as Robin. Most of the story quests have you build something for the town that is a real thing that you can walk on and interact with for the rest of the game.

My usual recommendation for someone who liked Stardew Valley and want's more of that is Rune Factory 4. It's anime Stardew with more fighting but also much, much, much more unique dialogue.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 30, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think RDR2 has a stronger story and a deeper world and characters, and after you're done (if you can get you hands on a way to play it) RDR1 which it is a prequel to I still think is one of the best games of all time.

The prospect of robo-dinosaurs is exciting, and certainly is neat and a fun spectacle, but if you're after story, there's not really a whole lot of story to the robo-dinosaurs themselves. There's plenty of hunting in RDR2 as well, although it's much smaller prey.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Other than Dragon Age Builders, there's not many games that specifically have the framework of helping to build up a town. Maybe Cult of Lamb, but that's not exactly the main focus. Graveyard Keeper is definitely doing a play on Stardew Valley, but it's kind of a parody because it's about a corrupt gravedigger and the world is more bitter.

There's a lot of cute chill games out there that kinda get some of the spirit of what you're looking for even if they might not hit the mark exactly. A Short Hike, Sunshine Heavy Industries, Reccettear, Bear and Breakfast. Worth a look.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Space Pirates and Zombies 1 and 2

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ducttape posted:

Space Pirates and Zombies 1 and 2

Was SPAZ2 good? I remember having a lot of fun in SPAZ1 but I wasn't sure if the transition to 3D worked or not.

LLSix posted:

I think you'd love My Time at Portia. It's Stardew Valley expect that you play as Robin. Most of the story quests have you build something for the town that is a real thing that you can walk on and interact with for the rest of the game.

My usual recommendation for someone who liked Stardew Valley and want's more of that is Rune Factory 4. It's anime Stardew with more fighting but also much, much, much more unique dialogue.

I kinda bounced off My Time at Portia for some reason. Maybe it was still early access? I think the characters didn't quite resonate with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MikeC posted:

For PC - Horizon Zero Dawn vs Red Dead Redemption 2

If I am going to get one which one would it be? I like story-driven games more. IE Not farcry style open world, more like Witcher 3 / GTA 5 style open world.

I thought RDR 2 was going to be my best bet but then Robo Dinosaurs showed up in my queue and looked shiny and cool.

RDR2 is the better written and deeper story and characters. That said, it is a bummer of a tragedy. So if you're looking for just happy fun times maybe hang out in chapters 2 and 3 before things start heading downhill.

I'll also second RDR1 and note that it does not feel nearly as tragic as its sequel despite sharing certain themes and narrative structures.