Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Rutibex posted:

There is zero chance WotC is going to put out even 5% of the Planescape content that TSR produced.

It does not need to match that, but 250 or pages will be much better than 190.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rutibex posted:

There is zero chance WotC is going to put out even 5% of the Planescape content that TSR produced.

I don't think anyone is asking for or expecting the entire Planescape line to be reproduced.

But also, they're already basically doing that with DMs' Guild.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I haven't seen it posted here, but a guy on Twitter got an early copy of the physical book for Shadows of the Dragon Queen and is showing off stuff from it:

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1594048086308970497

It's dated November 19th but he's been showing off stuff the past 3 days.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Draconians!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm still only partway through my copy of Shadow, but I can say that so far, it's one of the better-written 5e adventures, and it does a reasonably good job of getting people into the world without loredumping them. There are three prelude encounters to run; martial characters learn about "recent attacks by strange creatures" and fight some wounded draconians, arcane characters have a quick trial that confirms they're good enough mages to be eligible for the Test later, and divine characters have a "Goldmoon in the temple of Mishakal" moment that teaches them about the gods and lets them have divine magic. All nice and quick, you could conceivably run all three in session 0, and it grounds the players in the setting but doesn't add a ton of baggage.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Yusin posted:

Draconians!

Are the draconians notably different from those in Fizban's?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

Draconians!

I refuse to believe Slith is such a big boi. :haw:

As a reminder, Draconians are basically Krynn's Dragonborn, they have their own city and everything in the lore post-Dragonlance War.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

disaster pastor posted:

I'm still only partway through my copy of Shadow, but I can say that so far, it's one of the better-written 5e adventures, and it does a reasonably good job of getting people into the world without loredumping them. There are three prelude encounters to run; martial characters learn about "recent attacks by strange creatures" and fight some wounded draconians, arcane characters have a quick trial that confirms they're good enough mages to be eligible for the Test later, and divine characters have a "Goldmoon in the temple of Mishakal" moment that teaches them about the gods and lets them have divine magic. All nice and quick, you could conceivably run all three in session 0, and it grounds the players in the setting but doesn't add a ton of baggage.

So is this a complete restart back to just before Chronicles?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do they have suggestions if you wanna play like an Escaped Draconian who rejects the Evil of Conquest? I imagine a scenario where you wanna be a Draconian paladin, and you were in a skirmish with a Knight who when they were about to finish you off, for the briefest moment saw that there was the potential of good inside you, saw that you had a soul, and in an act of kindness spared you while they're killed by a buddy of yours that was hiding in the bushes. Later back at camp you steal the armor and sword that got stripped off his body and don it, swearing you'll make it up to the man who saved not just your life, but your soul; becoming a renegade who has to earn respect and acceptance by the Forces of Good. :black101:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

So is this a complete restart back to just before Chronicles?

I'm not sure in which terms you mean, but yes, in general, it's set in 351 AC, so the events of the module coincide with, but don't cross over with, the events of the beginning of Chronicles.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do they have suggestions if you wanna play like an Escaped Draconian who rejects the Evil of Conquest?

Not in so many words, but in the character creation section, there's a sidebar that explicitly says "play characters of any race you please" and encourages you to invent a reason such a character is possible, though it's more focused toward the non-native races like dragonborn and tieflings.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Dienes posted:

Are the draconians notably different from those in Fizban's?
They are mostly the same but have some differences. Like for example Aurak Draconians automatically bolster Draconians near them. Going by memory the Kapak/Infiltrator seems to be the only one completely unchallenged from Fizbans.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do they have suggestions if you wanna play like an Escaped Draconian who rejects the Evil of Conquest? I imagine a scenario where you wanna be a Draconian paladin, and you were in a skirmish with a Knight who when they were about to finish you off, for the briefest moment saw that there was the potential of good inside you, saw that you had a soul, and in an act of kindness spared you while they're killed by a buddy of yours that was hiding in the bushes. Later back at camp you steal the armor and sword that got stripped off his body and don it, swearing you'll make it up to the man who saved not just your life, but your soul; becoming a renegade who has to earn respect and acceptance by the Forces of Good. :black101:

This takes place too early for that. The Draconians have only just now emerged and are fanatics that have never been encountered before and nothing is known about them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yusin posted:

This takes place too early for that. The Draconians have only just now emerged and are fanatics that have never been encountered before and nothing is known about them.

Yeah, having read further, there are a bunch of things you'd have to change if the party is aware of draconians at the start and knows real details about them later.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

Well it shouldn't be too early though, because being living sentient creatures they have free will regardless of what they have or have not yet seen. Like even relatively early into the war many Draconians acted just like any regular batch of soldiers; people are people. Like it'd be silly to suggest that any point before Homeland would've been too early for a different Drow other than Drizzt to have defected to the surface; because well there were a lot already! But Drizzt just happened to be the most famous people in universe happen to have heard of. A tabletop rpg is about making anything possible; and honestly as someone whose read literally every Draconian involved book or short story there's no reason to suppose Draconians couldn't have defected prior to Kang's Regiment; who also didn't really defect until........ The War of Souls when Teyr attacked the Knights of Neraka to help put a stop to what Takhisis was planning?

Anyways, the possibility space for individual free willed Draconians to defect early in the War of the Lance to the side of good certainly exists. Like my prompt/write up earlier works well enough as a backstory; you just need as an example an Event(tm) to occur that causes a Crack-Ping moment if the sticking point is in particular "Fanaticism"; just like in real life, "Oh my what I have done/been a part of!?" Narratively it works and at the end of the day D&D is a tabletop roleplaying game centered on its collaborative narrative.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 23, 2022

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Can’t wait to be a Bozak

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I finished my first read of the book last night and overall, I think it's pretty good. It's definitely focused on newcomers, but if you come in with knowledge, there's nothing contradicting existing lore or shutting you out of adding it back in (other than dumb stuff like "Knights of Solamnia are human men basically without exception"). There are a couple of cameos but they didn't make me cringe.

I would have liked a little more; there were places where it would have made sense to have a sidebar with relevant lore you could use but that just didn't have it, and it ends with an unsigned note from Kitiara and "Use this message to foreshadow future conflicts in the War of the Lance or to continue your adventures in Krynn," but gives no suggestions about those future conflicts or other options for adventures, and the book doesn't provide any setting detail that isn't relevant to the adventure. But I don't really feel the need to complain about what's there.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well it shouldn't be too early though, because being living sentient creatures they have free will regardless of what they have or have not yet seen.

I think it's too early for that in the sense that the very existence of draconians is meant to be a surprise.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

I think it's too early for that in the sense that the very existence of draconians is meant to be a surprise.

I mean, a surprise I suppose if you're running the campaign for people who've never read the books before or generally aren't familiar with the setting, but my question I think contextually was clearly meant as someone and for players who already are familiar, who are going to ask "dragonlance!? hey can I play a draconian?" . My question wasnt thinking about that adventure but more generally. Not that I think anyways that the adventure need be played straight. Seems like every wotc adventure module should be modified basically at will.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, a surprise I suppose if you're running the campaign for people who've never read the books before or generally aren't familiar with the setting, but my question I think contextually was clearly meant as someone and for players who already are familiar, who are going to ask "dragonlance!? hey can I play a draconian?" . My question wasnt thinking about that adventure but more generally. Not that I think anyways that the adventure need be played straight. Seems like every wotc adventure module should be modified basically at will.

Obviously they're not a surprise to players familiar with the setting. But in the context of an adventure set in Kalaman at the very beginning of the War of the Lance, they are a surprise to the people and PCs. Nobody knows about the return of Takhisis yet. Nobody has any inkling of her plans or the war to come. The whole, "mysterious creatures are attacking and we don't know why" setup is kinda busted when everyone has already met Scaly Jeff and heard his story about fleeing Neraka.

It's basically the same deal as the divine magic reveal. You'll muck up the "the Gods are still with us!" beat if Silversun has been preaching the gospel of Kiri Jolith this entire time.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be guidance for playing draconians (hopefully more than "roll a dragonborn") or that you shouldn't modify the adventure as you see fit. But I wonder if your group of experienced Dragonlance fans are going to want to play another rehash of the very beginning of the War of the Lance anyhow.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Also it took Kang's group more than 20 years after the war to fully defect from the Dark Queen's service.

The Draconians are too new and Indoctrinated for any defections to really make sense at this stage.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That makes sense, for that specific adventure you could rework it a bit to introduce a draconian pc, like a spy whose joining the party with the idea that they eventually defect for reals as a result of getting to know the PCs. Like Garrak from deep space 9.

Yusin posted:

Also it took Kang's group more than 20 years after the war to fully defect from the Dark Queen's service.

The Draconians are too new and Indoctrinated for any defections to really make sense at this stage.

Yeah but there's always exceptions, which by definition describes PCs, see my earlier comment about playing a drow in a pre drizzt era of forgotten realms.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Raenir Salazar posted:

That makes sense, for that specific adventure you could rework it a bit to introduce a draconian pc, like a spy whose joining the party with the idea that they eventually defect for reals as a result of getting to know the PCs. Like Garrak from deep space 9.

Yeah but there's always exceptions, which by definition describes PCs, see my earlier comment about playing a drow in a pre drizzt era of forgotten realms.

Going to be honest here: if your group has this much lore knowledge and you're expecting them to want to play draconians, I don't think this adventure is for you. It's an intro to northern Ansalon and 11 levels of content for that area, there's no addendum where they have rules for making draconian PCs or expanding a Dragonlance campaign beyond the confines of this adventure.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Would anyone here like a Free D&D Beyond Monster Manual and or DMG. I just got them as a result of buying the Campaign Cases, but I already own them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

Would anyone here like a Free D&D Beyond Monster Manual and or DMG. I just got them as a result of buying the Campaign Cases, but I already own them.

I'm actually missing the monster manual on dnd beyond and it'd be nice to use the dndb importer on foundry for mm stuff :)

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Here it is

mm-edee1e13-8fb3-40cd-bfc2-da5c56cee7d4

Here is the DMG for anyone else who wants it

dmg-eb5a687c-f6ef-4093-a92b-c3e05c3a159b

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Any chance can you DM (heh) it to me? I won't be home for three hours. :ohdear:

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any chance can you DM (heh) it to me? I won't be home for three hours. :ohdear:

I don't have DMs. Sorry you will have to rely on the honor system.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I cast Gentle Repose and Alarm on the code

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Pretty sure that code is a mimic anyways, I wouldn't mess with touching it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Monster Manual has been safely delivered. :patriot:

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
And just so people don't get their hopes up, the DMG code has been claimed already.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Monster Manual has been safely delivered. :patriot:

drat, Rutibex really came through! Hopefully they didn't need those slots for combat spells, later on

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hey everyone, I just lucked into something so I have Beyond Gift Codes for Player's Handbook, Journeys through the Radiant Citadel, Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

If any of you want one of these just ask.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Yusin posted:

Hey everyone, I just lucked into something so I have Beyond Gift Codes for Player's Handbook, Journeys through the Radiant Citadel, Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

If any of you want one of these just ask.

My kids were asking about D&D lately, so I am thinking of setting up a campaign or two. Would love Fizban or Ravenloft if one is still available.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Was rolling up ability scores for an upcoming campaign and got this set of gems: 14, 13, 10, 10, 9, 8. My DM said "uh...why don't you go point buy instead"

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Azathoth posted:

Was rolling up ability scores for an upcoming campaign and got this set of gems: 14, 13, 10, 10, 9, 8. My DM said "uh...why don't you go point buy instead"

Isn't the rule of thumb that you can redo rolls if your sum is less than 65? With those stats you've used up all your bad luck already

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ragequit posted:

My kids were asking about D&D lately, so I am thinking of setting up a campaign or two. Would love Fizban or Ravenloft if one is still available.

I have not given any away yet. So both are, do you have a preference?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Yusin posted:

I have not given any away yet. So both are, do you have a preference?

Ravenloft would be solid - I have an idea of Dragonlance from the old books. Thanks!

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I got DM's now, so I sent the message.

Player's Handbook, Journeys through the Radiant Citadel, Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War are still left for anyone that wants one.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zurreco posted:

Isn't the rule of thumb that you can redo rolls if your sum is less than 65? With those stats you've used up all your bad luck already

My DM offered to give me a mulligan and let me reroll but lol loving nope I grabbed onto point buy like a life preserver. I'm sure even if I got a bad set of rerolls he would let me keep rolling until I got something decent but I decided I'd prefer to not see just how bad my luck was this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
If nobody else wants, I'd be happy to take the PHB and/or Radiant Citadel. I usually only have time for one-shots so that sounds perfect.