Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Where were you, when you learn that the Phatom Troupe is called like that because they were a dub/THEATER TROUPE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
is koritopi gonna end up as some resurrected Frankenstein of sarasa

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

We are about to get hurt real badly in our souls

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Phantom Troupe getting their backstory makes me worried about their chances against Hisoka :ohdear:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i forget. can you willingly leave the spiders if you so choose or os it ia life of death thing?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

i forget. can you willingly leave the spiders if you so choose or os it ia life of death thing?

Hisoka left, at least. Also possibly Omokage, but I’m not sure how canon he is. But I assume that in theory it’s not the kind of group you just quit.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

im gonna cry by the end of this arc arent I

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

I recall that it's actually pretty casual. Back in Yorknew that was the first time the whole group had gotten together in a few years.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recall that it's actually pretty casual. Back in Yorknew that was the first time the whole group had gotten together in a few years.
I think the question is if people can quit the group, not if they can physically leave.

My guess is that it almost never comes up. If you're an internationally wanted criminal, you probably don't want to leave your most powerful allies--possibly your only allies, if you aren't from Meteor City--behind.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

Hisoka left, at least. Also possibly Omokage, but I’m not sure how canon he is. But I assume that in theory it’s not the kind of group you just quit.

Yea, Hisoka even made a big deal of showing he never actually tattooed himself, just to show he never considered himself a part of it I guess.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Reread the Hisoka Chrollo fight and I think the complexity of everything is meant to show how difficult it is to really fight Chrollo. I tried putting myself there, listening to the explanation, and no way could i figure it out. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Hunter!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think any sane person, or even most insane people (re: Hunters) would choose to fight a guy whose ability is “everything I coerced/despoiled/borrowed from other people” while also saying “pick the time and place” to the Skill Hunter guy. Hisoka is unique both in that he’s loving insane and a fight junkie who couldn’t imagine himself losing one-on-one to anyone.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Viz version
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015128

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Togashi is winding up the baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ah, the phantom troupe, a group of innocent kids twisted by the evil of dubs.

This is why all anime must be subbed.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Togashi has been sitting on this flashback for a long time, I was re-reading Yorknew on a whim and saw this page from chapter 102.

I wonder how much of the backstory he had fleshed out at the time and how many revisions he did during all these years.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

according to this interview he already thought it up by ‘06

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

It might be for the best that things turned out this way, honestly. Including the Phantom Troupe's backstory would've made them a little too sympathetic, and an extended flashback sequence would've hampered the dizzyingly fast pacing that people remember the latter half of Yorknew for

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I mean, real talk, it's hampering the pacing of the current arc as is.

It's like we can only get 4 continuous chapters of one thing at a time, and then it rotates between Kurapika, Tserrednich, other Princes, the Mafia, the Hunter Association.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Oh God Silva's confrontation with the troupe might have been him just killing a theatre kid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My big hope that it seems togashi is using assistants now is that the series could keep the current chapter length but become monthly when the current run ends

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

oh jay posted:

It's like we can only get 4 continuous chapters of one thing at a time, and then it rotates between Kurapika, Tserrednich, other Princes, the Mafia, the Hunter Association.

Google maps continuously rerouting us to different fireworks factories.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

oh jay posted:

I imagine that this volume will wind up being mostly mafia/troupe stuff and we know that Kurapika will appear in the last chapter according to the twitter manuscripts. Which doesn't bother me too much since the lower deck stuff was the least developed of the current plotlines and the story is still finding ways to tie things back up top so it's not just isolated from the succession war.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It is kind of frustrating sometimes when it jumps away from a part I’m enjoying, but all of it has been really great so far so I can’t complain too much. I’m hoping the rumor we’re getting 20 chapters this time is true.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So like, theoretically, what is the ending of hxh?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jose posted:

Ging finally meets up with his father and returns his hunter license.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jose posted:

That depends on what you think the overall story is

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kinda surprised the TLs went with 'clean up rangers' or 'power cleaners' instead of just calling them 'scour rangers'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the timing of the phantom troupe origin flashback is a bit awkward, but this is probably the last chance. even in the unlikely event of subsequent arcs, the troupe will be out of the picture unless they decide to tag along to the dark continent.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

looking forward to looping back to Team Ging after this flashback

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think people probably wouldn't feel so antsy about these chapters if another hiatus wasn't looming over the horizon, since Togashi only has like, what, 10 chapters in the wings? In an ideal world where Togashi wasn't in physical pain every waking hour, we got these chapters like 4 years ago and loved the gently caress out of them.

As it is, in this current world, where Togashi is suffering, we got these chapters now and they're loving great and compelling but I also know it ain't gonna last.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i like the flashback being now. i like togashi leaning into what is easily the most complicated manga arc i've ever seen written. i've reread the succession war chapters at least 4 times now and i still feel like i'm not keeping up with it well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was following the wars (both Mafia and Succession) pretty well until the Fourth Prince's soldiers showed up, which mostly took me on a swerve due to the sheer amount of text in that one chapter.

I think I sorta got the hang of it now, by reading posts in this thread + Reddit.

Anyways I don't think there's been a bad chapter in the Kakin arc so far, even the one with the page that gets constantly meme'd on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

Aside from the zillion-sided conflict on the Black Whale and whatever adventures will be happening on the Dark Continent, the obvious loose plot threads are Gyro (who still hasn’t met Gon yet) and the remaining members of the Zoaldyck family (who I assume various Blacklist Hunters will be going after now that Illumi, Killua, Alluka, and Kalluto are all away).

If Togashi/Takeuchi/their kids/their grandkids are looking for excuses to continue HxH into the 22nd century or so, they can also shift the focus to Melody’s quest for the Dark Sonata and Hanzo’s quest for the Hermit’s Scroll.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 28, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I was following the wars (both Mafia and Succession) pretty well until the Fourth Prince's soldiers showed up, which mostly took me on a swerve due to the sheer amount of text in that one chapter.

I think I sorta got the hang of it now, by reading posts in this thread + Reddit.

Anyways I don't think there's been a bad chapter in the Kakin arc so far, even the one with the page that gets constantly meme'd on.

Ehh... the meme page is pretty indicative of the worst parts of this saga imo.

The Kurapika/Woble scenes are pretty focused.

The mafia scenes are pretty focused.

The Tserredinich scenes are pretty focused.

But everything involving the greater succession war and Benjamin's guards are just overly talky and terrible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hxh ended with gon and ging in the world tree, everything since then has just been gravy

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

skipmyseashells posted:

according to this interview he already thought it up by ‘06
Dang, it's impressive that he was sitting on that for so long, and he's undoubtedly taken that time to refine it even further.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the timing of the phantom troupe origin flashback is a bit awkward, but this is probably the last chance. even in the unlikely event of subsequent arcs, the troupe will be out of the picture unless they decide to tag along to the dark continent.

In hindsight, it should have been placed after the Hisoka fight and before the boat starts its journey. Here it's affecting the pace of the succession fight, yes. Then again, it's better to do it now than to wait until the Troupe find Kurapica or Hisoka.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

i like the flashback being now. i like togashi leaning into what is easily the most complicated manga arc i've ever seen written. i've reread the succession war chapters at least 4 times now and i still feel like i'm not keeping up with it well

I’m treating it like Yorknew and Greed Island where Togashi is introducing a bunch of characters, make you think they’re gonna be be important and then just absolutely slaughter each of them unceremoniously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this arc is the best hxh has ever been and togashi is free to divert the plot however he wants