Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Picked this up after watching Northernlion play it and man it really is a gem. Thank you for understanding what Dicey Dungeons did not that if you have a game about dice you better see those suckers rolling around.

Hit upon baby's first infinite a little while ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

More weird generated stuff, automatic level variations of existing classes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tann posted:

Any chance of levelling up doing things like adding traits (so dodge could upgrade to cantrip dodge?) Or is that too easy to make broken interactions with?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I had a 4 sided cat trip Dodge generated character. I accidentally thought that it would apply to other characters in the cat trips phase. I felt stupid

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tann posted:

this would make a great alternative to random imo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, just constant leveling up would be pretty neat.

Also perhaps another way of indicating pip values by adding "X" under the bar to denote 10. So like, an X with a medium bar over it and a single dash over that would be 10 + 5 + 1 or 16.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fun bug: stacking dodge repeatedly doesn't have any mechanical effect, but does make your character progressively grayer and grayer until they and their sides are totally invisible

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tunicate posted:

fun bug: stacking dodge repeatedly doesn't have any mechanical effect, but does make your character progressively grayer and grayer until they and their sides are totally invisible
I initially read this as "gayer and gayer" and now I'm a bit disappointed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Martman posted:

That's Prism.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Martman posted:

I did too, and same

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

nice

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Tann posted:

Mode where you start with only two heroes and they get a combined 10 level ups. Or one hero and 10 level ups (and lose to tarantula :getin:)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

RoboCicero posted:

Mode where you start with only two heroes and they get a combined 10 level ups. Or one hero and 10 level ups (and lose to tarantula :getin:)

:yeah:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jedit posted:

That's Prism.

Nobody told me that.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Every time I say I will run errands after this run ...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sweet Jesus

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Show us the blessing/curse page.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nice

Pain of Mind posted:

Every time I say I will run errands after this run ...

what the gently caress

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

CainFortea posted:

Show us the blessing/curse page.

Welp, got kind of greedy and went for a random curse and got the worst possible one - Slow Spells +, which immediately ended my run. Slow spells was by FAR the most harmful curse, and I think getting reasonably deep into the 300s would have been very doable without it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God drat I was feeling on top of the world when I broke 100. This is just wild to me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is there any sort of "Endless" mode that lets you have more time with your Tier 3 team? If not, then.. maybe in the future? :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darn, revival can't be turned into a cantrip.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I had a character concept idea - since there are some spells and abilities that strike specific positions like top or bottom or whatever, why not have a hero who can "shove" enemies one spot up the chain? Make them like a Sumo or something and add it to the gray tree. Or an item like a pole hook that will reposition the enemy and do damage.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That is a neat idea. Something that increased interaction with the "back row" mechanic could be cool too, like you can pull an archer to the front row so your melee heroes can get them.

On the other hand, ranged already exists and there is something to be said for elegant simplicity.

It does feel weird at first when spells cant hit the back row, I generally assume spells are ranged using video game logic but that would make burst too good so I get it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If there was some kind of backrow modification instead of immunity, having the ability to move monsters could be fun. Like, say characters in the back row take half damage unless it's ranged or something. Or maybe their melee attacks DO 1/2 damage and are still immune to melee attacks at them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like Twin and think there should be more things like it that do really weird poo poo with the usual hero mechanics. Like a necromancer class that can add temporary skeleton allies into the party, or a telekinesis spell that can drag a back-row enemy to the front for a turn. Maybe even a tweak or game mode or something where one or more of the heroes is just straight up replaced with one of the lesser monsters. I love this game and wish there was even more of it to experiment with

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I never really click with Twin. Every time i've picked it they have just died so fast and do basically nothing.

Edit: Oh, or how about a summoner that can summon totems that sit in the enemy line up and do things to adjacent enemies, like reduce their damage or give them vulnerability or something. Give them HP too so you have to make choices about cleave damage.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No yeah you never ever take Twin unless you have an item or two to give them good faces. For instance, Greatsword + Hissing Ring or whatever it is (add Poison to the left two faces) is hilarious on Twin, because suddenly you have two little screaming gremlins each capable of making GBS threads out 5 damage + 5 poison to some poor bastard (and if they die who gives a poo poo, the poison will do the rest). They're also great with anything that gives reroll cantrips.

e: hero that can add barrels to the enemy line

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Twins with wax seal is a fun one, now they straight up just defend for 5 each, every turn

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

No yeah you never ever take Twin unless you have an item or two to give them good faces. For instance, Greatsword + Hissing Ring or whatever it is (add Poison to the left two faces) is hilarious on Twin, because suddenly you have two little screaming gremlins each capable of making GBS threads out 5 damage + 5 poison to some poor bastard (and if they die who gives a poo poo, the poison will do the rest). They're also great with anything that gives reroll cantrips.

Twin + sacrifical dagger.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I've taken Twin four times, and one time they kicked rear end - Longsword and Greatsword.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Twin + the enhance wand is pretty nice. A bit niche, but depending on your other heroes, it allows for some pretty ridiculous combos. Especially if you hit them with another hero's boost face before they permaboost so you can permaboost the boosting hero and spend the rest of the fight gigaboosting stuff into the stratosphere. Works real nice with Wanderer. Or with one of the orange heroes that can ranged instakill any enemy under a certain HP threshold :unsmigghh:

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

cooper practically designs itself

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
My main problem with Twin is that Twin is a Gray and that almost every gimmick it can do makes it act like a non-Gray, so you're forced to play more offensively. And sure, that's usually good against the Dragon or the Hand, but against Hexia most teams should take their time. A 1/3 chance of this already fairly niche character being useless on the last big hurdle is not great, so I'd rather just take one of the three Grays good at doing Gray things (Valkyrie, Stalwart, Poet) and hedge my bets. If Twin was a Yellow or a Blue, then I'd pick them way more often.

This is also my problem with Mimic. I don't like the set-up of the tier 3 Grays in general, really.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There are a few items that give you really strong defensive options. But yeah, I think the main reason grey heroes move a little away from focusing on big shield faces is that the later levels require you to be more proactive in preventing damage. You're rarely going to win the arms race with sheer blocking; you have to kill things before they hurt you, or mitigate status effects, or other stuff like that.

That's where Mimic and Twin really shine: depending on your items and party composition, they can be pretty powerful force multipliers when straightforwardly tanking hits isn't a viable plan. IMO the T3 greys work best when they're chosen more for synergy than for specialization.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, like, if grey is my last t3 and I don't have any faces that are pain or death or cantrip attacks, I am not going to be pick valkyrie. The other options are usually better.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Yea, like, if grey is my last t3 and I don't have any faces that are pain or death or cantrip attacks, I am not going to be pick valkyrie. The other options are usually better.

Oh yeah, Valkyrie's incredibly good at what she does, but what she does is to keep an otherwise effective and self-sufficient party from dying. She's particularly great with Barbarian; it's nice being able to smash through everything with those massive Pain/Death damage faces without having to worry about the consequences.

On the other hand, sometimes your T2 grey can do this:

and you decide, after careful thought, not to take Valkyrie when she's offered.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Got the "clear classic with only T2 heroes" achievement which was absolutely like pulling teeth, even on easy. It turns out that skipping 5 rewards actually significantly reduces your power level! In the end I only beat it with Hero Growth + Monster Right and a cantripping Juggler and self-shield.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It turns out it's actually really easy to get the 10 or more poison on an enemy achievement when you finally get Venom for the first time since starting 2.0. The only class I haven't encountered yet is this last Blue that I need Pair of Kings for-which given the previous talk seems to be named Ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Einander posted:

one of the three Grays good at doing Gray things (Valkyrie, Stalwart, Poet)

poet? really? what am i missing?