Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

The Hennessey stuff was even better because he went to an FA tribunal that everyone thought would be thrown out and then a panel of experts realised that no this guy literally didn't know that the second world war took place and thought that the hitler salute was just something you did at German people

Hennessey said "from the outset" of the hearing that he did not know what a Nazi salute was.

"Improbable as that may seem to those of us of an older generation, we do not reject that assertion as untrue," said the panel.

"In fact, when cross-examined about this Mr Hennessey displayed a very considerable - one might even say lamentable - degree of ignorance about anything to do with Hitler, Fascism and the Nazi regime.

"Regrettable though it may be that anyone should be unaware of so important a part of our own and world history, we do not feel we should therefore find he was not telling the truth about this.

"All we would say (at the risk of sounding patronising) is that Mr Hennessey would be well advised to familiarise himself with events which continue to have great significance to those who live in a free country."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Literally every part of that story was hilarious

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sometimes I just think about the headline 'Wayne Hennessey is ‘desperate’ to learn about the Nazis' and just laugh to myself

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Alctel posted:

Sometimes I just think about the headline 'Wayne Hennessey is ‘desperate’ to learn about the Nazis' and just laugh to myself
i think about it and laugh literally every time he’s mentioned or on TV

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
No one posted the picture of the offending gesture at the team dinner

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

sticksy posted:

No one posted the picture of the offending gesture at the team dinner

lol

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao that it's just a bunch of people being normal and then him in the back going turbohitler

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

didn't he also say he was trying to signal the waiter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yes, he was trying to signal the waiter, at the exact time a photo was being taken, by doing a nazi salute straight at the photographer

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lmao I'd never actually seen that before

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm kinda an odd duck-- watched EPL/World Cup with my college roommate, forgot about the sport for a few years, went to a Champions League match last season, and decided that overall, the live fan experience for soccer was exactly what I wanted. I'm pretty much all-in on La Liga/Champions League. I figured it would take me a few years to watch it at an elite level, so here I am approaching year two. While I can't often see my main squeeze leagues live (gently caress friendlies tours in the US), I can attend and watch some MLS here and there. I've attended those matches and those fans don't quite have the gravitas of 87,000 singing fans, but they care a lot. And the passes aren't crisp, and attackers are sprinting at dribbling defenders just on the reasonable chance that the defender fucks up. It's sloppy at times. The general play is improving, the facilities are improving, and all-in-all the infrastructure for everything involving American soccer is improving. And to be honest, the fans are pretty friendly. Even Timbers/Sounders where Dempsey scored a hat trick to tie the game at 4-4, people were kinda just happy to see a close match. Soccer is keeping me, and many other fans, in the game and sending us out into ambassadors. And when the game grows in the US, it's good for everybody.

Yes, American fans can be classic Sportscenter-watching dolts and that's kinda ok. Sometimes you need nothing more than loud people irrationally driving conversation, and there are dumb fans in every sport. Gotta reach critical mass somehow. Yeah, Americans have a weird relationship with this team between cheering for a legit underdog and then confronting people who want to talk poo poo about MLS/USMNT beyond just stating dispassionate facts, unfortunate realities of the league as it is today. Mostly NFL fans teeing off domestically, hyper-competitive internet people digitally. And yup, the overall product isn't as good as the stuff across the pond and we don't want to deal with those unpleasant facts so sometimes we lash out, just as the people who feel the need to attack MLS often do it due to some perceived slight against them from the simple existence of the MLS.

America can be good, GREAT for soccer. What America can offer is their total, world-class media presentation and fan brains ready for irrational indoctrination into the sport. All it needs is the right seed and the handful of right players. The team/league/UEFA/FoxSports1 digital products are all second-class to NA apps like TheScore or even the Turner-media run league pages for the NBA. Or, you know, YOU-loving-TUBE strategy. San Francisco made, our web products are word class.

If you don't like soccer stats being owned as proprietary data by Opta, you should see the reverse with the NBA: http://stats.nba.com/ The league even builds APIs for websites to use! Oh, and we're great at bringing in hard math and processes to create advanced statistics that can open the game up for analysis which hopefully leads to a more fluid, position-free, exciting game that can raise the quality of discourse in soccer talks. The discussion of advanced stats and their value is always a tough battle at first, but most sports are well through that fight in various degrees with NBA the clear leader in that the league fully embraces data and paid for every team to install tracking cams in every arena. Last year the greatest breakthrough in all attempts to gain a sports edge was... playing important guys fewer minutes over the season and playoffs so they were less tired than their opponents. So, uh... there are still little edges to discover too hahaha

Let's combine the two! Through our giant media companies, we have websites like 538 that map out players mathematically to show that no, really, Messi is the no-exaggeration once-in-a-generation player and Ronaldo is behind him, but in some ways he's very very behind. They give proof! Sure, some sites like Statsbomb.com are trying to do it in the EU, but we have multi-million dollar media companies getting into the game here! Fans are more educated, better informed, internalize better processes for evaluating the game and they teach that to their kids!

Also, eyeballs. Marketing dollars, so many marketing dollars in a world where basically the only TV ad time worth a drat is related to sports and we spend stupid amounts of money on sports, either as consumers or brand partners. The NFL has a target of yearly revenue at 25 billion dollars in 2027. That sport is so dangerous to play that it may not even exist in 20 years! The NBA teams made 5 billion dollars this past year. Even the paltry NHL had 3.5b in revenue. So, yeah, Americans spend and spend recklessly on pro sports. Also, the departments in Nike, Adidas, etc know how to integrate their branded gear into our identities to being emotionally committed to a product. We're not so cool with wearing the sponsors on the chest (besides the Nascar folks), but there will always be national team shirts we can buy, I guess and eventually we'll just cave to the corporatization of our jerseys and buy them because we're easily manipulated beasts. More money coming into the league, more money teams can spend to train and compete!

Finally, what America does is get the kids. You can get the kids. Soccer won't just be a week spent once a year where kids play soccer poorly. Every kid has a sense of what's going on and the gym teacher feels compelled to teach the kids how to play the sport right. Maybe some more youth leagues open up, but what that really does is give each player a sense of the game where they can be a viewer and create some stakes for themselves easily when they watch.

Anyway, soccer/futbol worldwide becomes far more successful when the American teams will inevitably find success in the world tournaments. America hitting the knockout stage is real cool and there's plenty of things to look forward to in the next 2-4 years.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TEE

ELL

DEE

ARR

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

didn't he also say he was trying to signal the waiter

While cupping his mouth to be heard better, I think.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just remembered that England's never beat the US in a World Cup, and

lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

lol

To be fair this was only the third time we've played them as they never used to qualify/get out of the group stages

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

lol

I just heard this team was in the European Championships final last summer? And the team that beat them didn't even qualify for the World Cup? What a poo poo conference that must be drat

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Just remembered Gareth Southgate left Foden on the bench in a 0-0 loss to the USA

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Just remembered Gareth Southgate left Foden on the bench in a 0-0 loss to the USA

he's the missionary position of tactics

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
On top, doggy, or Southgate

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sticksy posted:

On top, doggy, or Southgate

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cheeky.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Imagine wearing that dress yet not having an rear end

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Imagine wearing that dress yet not having an rear end

https://youtu.be/QyZD-qSJoLw

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Probably to distract from her face

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
TRP is a wag appreciation zone, compliments only please

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Actually that was just a rando that ran up to him to take a picture. Szcz hadn't posted on social media for 2 years at that point but felt compelled to break his silence (but then deleted it after he took some flak for his response)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao loving hell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
gently caress that's brutal

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Yeah was gonna say iirc that’s not a wag! No mods no masters

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I hope I'm remembering this right, but the time Ronaldo brought his newly won Ballon D'or to a match (I think against Atletico?) and then proceeded to lose

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

trem_two posted:

Actually that was just a rando that ran up to him to take a picture. Szcz hadn't posted on social media for 2 years at that point but felt compelled to break his silence (but then deleted it after he took some flak for his response)

Yea that's not very nice

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Belgian Golden Generation

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

When Lukaku had literally just signed for Chelsea for a massive amount of money and then did an interview about how much he missed Inter and wanted to go back.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZY1Oeg7np8

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

JohnCompany posted:

The Belgian Golden Generation

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
When Belgium and Germany went out in the group stage on the same day of World Cup 2022 that was lol

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Kevin Lasagna

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
just remembered that Germany got knocked out of the WC 30 minutes ago hehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

just remembered that Germany got knocked out of the WC 30 minutes ago hehehe
In the same vein, Japan finishing top of a World Cup group that had both Germany and Spain in it.