Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

What talent spread are you guys doing on Vet? Im doing 1-1-1-3-3-1. I’m certain the 20% bonus damage from range is pointless but I couldn’t tell if the reload speed buff was being applied for the other one that tier.

I'm only level 8 so could you please tell me, does the level 10 grenade refill work for just me or the whole team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah supposedly numbers wise it will be better to upgrade a good white quality weapon all the way up to orange because then the power budget has gone into the pure stats and the upgrading process will have added the perks and blessings without taking away any of that power. Obviously that's only ifor folks who are insanely into the game though, I suspect a regular orange or purple will probably do the job just fine.

I wonder if one of the crafting things that isn't live yet will allow us to upgrade the bars instead.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm only level 8 so could you please tell me, does the level 10 grenade refill work for just me or the whole team?

It's the whole team.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Evil Kit posted:

It's the whole team.

Not for us lonely psykers. :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just know when it says "on enemy kill" it means "on elite enemy kill" so it'll only start to be noticeable on higher difficulties when they throw taggable enemies at you constantly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Psykers aren’t real anyway.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kaddish posted:

There's no "I" is psyker now is there. :colbert:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just know when it says "on enemy kill" it means "on elite enemy kill" so it'll only start to be noticeable on higher difficulties when they throw taggable enemies at you constantly.

I was talking about the "refill a grenade every minute" one, but good tip on the other one, that refills on a percentage chance on (elite!) Kill.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was talking about the "refill a grenade every minute" one, but good tip on the other one, that refills on a percentage chance on (elite!) Kill.

Ah, that one is self-only.

On another note, just did some testing in the meatgrinder with the voidstrike staff, treat "blast radius" as a dump stat for that thing, indirect hits only do single digit damage and stagger enemies, the difference between a big blast radius and minimal blast radius is barely noticeable pixels difference of how far a couple points of damage and a .1 second stagger will reach with no noticeable difference if just aiming at their feet with both.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 25, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fadam posted:

What talent spread are you guys doing on Vet? Im doing 1-1-1-3-3-1. I’m certain the 20% bonus damage from range is pointless but I couldn’t tell if the reload speed buff was being applied for the other one that tier.

2-2-2-3-2-1. I think the math works out better on the first tier for 2 over 1, especially if you can click heads.

Faster reload is important on a lot of guns, like the bolter and the plasma, and you can't rely on the last tier skill to reload your gun all the time.

Level 15 is a wasteland, the grenade talent is the clear winner of a very bad tier.

Camo on 20 is pretty team unfriendly, but being the person that doesn't get hassled when doing tech support on hacking, or even picking someone up off the floor potentially is very nice. Also synergizes with some of the more finicky guns if you're able to just set up and wreck people unmolested.

Dead shot is really good, but remember to pick something else if you're using plasma, as it doesn't work (at least not a few patches ago, they may have fixed this). I'll have to test if guns that brace instead of ADS get this buff. If running plas, use 3 instead.

Level 30 has 1 clear winner, sustained fire, which reloads your gun instantly. The other choices are nice, but not nearly as good as basically having 2.5 as large of a mag (remember that volley fire gives a dmg buff, so that second mag is hitting at 150%). For some guns like the recon viB, you have a horde clearing/multiple elite deleting burst that takes forever to run out of ammo in the mag.

I could be horribly wrong on all of this, but it was worked out for me quite well up to haz 3 and a bit of haz 4.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

For the final tier use the second perk if you're running lasgun you basically get infinite volley and can decimate rifle groups

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, taking out rifle groups is a really important job for the Vet. Really takes the pressure off your team. I'm also wondering if people are souring on the "your ult shows your team specials" if people are saying the grenade talent is a no brainer. They're both the same tier.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I'd take Counterfire over Sustained fire so long as you aren't using a gun that takes a year to reload and runs empty constantly, extra 25% weakpoint damage and highlighting the hundred gunners hiding behind everything is great.
The third anti boss one is bad and needs a buff, Counterfire does half of what that would do to bosses so long as you hit the weakpoint and you are probably only going to fight a boss once or twice a level, if that.

I've also used the "show team specials" highlighter so they can get a heads up about what's in the crowd or the next room even, I will say the grenade perk is gonna be largely useless if you end up in a large team of Psykers, or Ogyn that's saving their grenades for just the right moment and never use them the entire game.

I'd also keep the grenade per minute over reload speed if you aren't using one of those cumbersome guns like the bolter.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 25, 2022

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I hope having to pull the charging handle on the boltgun every time you take it out it a bug because wow that's dogshit. Thanks for designing a gun that wastes half of my Vet power duration!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, taking out rifle groups is a really important job for the Vet. Really takes the pressure off your team. I'm also wondering if people are souring on the "your ult shows your team specials" if people are saying the grenade talent is a no brainer. They're both the same tier.

Vet seems like the stand out between the classes where it has several tiers with good perks that compete with each other, while the other classes seem to have a lot of obvious picks.

GruntyThrst posted:

I hope having to pull the charging handle on the boltgun every time you take it out it a bug because wow that's dogshit. Thanks for designing a gun that wastes half of my Vet power duration!

Working as intended, the other large guns work the same way. It's the trade off compared to pistols which whip out ready to go.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'm a big proponent of the free grenade every minute because I can constantly dump a grenade at my feet without worrying about grenade pickups.

I want to like Deadshot but the fact that it drains your stamina faster than listed when you shoot kind of kills it for me because of the amount of times I've been screwed by having no stamina at an inopportune moment. I could probably deal with the drain if it was simply the -10%/sec but it if I'm just going at it with my gun I just run out too fast. It turns off when you run out of stamina too, last I checked.

The +25% crit chance is definitely very spicy though and well worth it if you can handle the downsides.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Meanwhile I'm over here running 3-3-1-3-1-3 on Vet.

Reasonings;

Gunner/gunline duels means this lets you duck back into cover for less time than anyone else needs, if Camo isn't an option at the time.

Way too powerful not to take, even with the nerf your average 3+ match is 20+ free grenades.

Information is extremely powerful against specials and most people on 3+ once they see they're receiving Volley Fire highlights will start looking around when they hear you pop it and a special is inbound.

Camo is busted. It allows for free interrogator fixes as long as someone else is close enough by to take the heat instead. On the new(est) map, the foundry where you're opening the outer door, people can be upstairs in the control room and you can fix the interrogator point outside below that control room and enemies will just walk by you. It also allows for Ogryn style pickups because everything just continues to beat on the person you're reviving.

Frag Storm is one I wouldn't typically go to bat for much, the bleed is still pretty underpowered and won't kill anything but poxwalkers/groaners outside of the immediate kill radius. However, if your team lacks a flamer or a sufficiently skilled Ogryn, Frag Storm + Demo Stockpile becomes "hordes effectively don't exist" and that's too useful with how 4+ are currently set up.

I'd be using Counterfire if it worked currently since that's half of my job as a Vet is taking out enemy basic ranged but I'm on the Ogryn one at the moment because 4+ is extremely Reaper/Crusher happy and having a plasma gun one shot to the head during Volley Fire with no need to charge it is extremely powerful.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I like that Brahms gives you a nice little nod every time you start up the game

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Just overheard the lady on the vox in one of the habs blab something about "Lean into the toil and it will set you free"
:godwin:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Now that you mention it, I completely overlooked Ogyn's being added to that feat on top of bosses, Ogyn are all over the place in harder difficulty.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

CuddleCryptid posted:

Vet seems like the stand out between the classes where it has several tiers with good perks that compete with each other, while the other classes seem to have a lot of obvious picks.

Working as intended, the other large guns work the same way. It's the trade off compared to pistols which whip out ready to go.

Plasma gun doesn't though, it just seems better than the boltgun in every way except for needing to alpha all your damage NOW

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

i'm still crashing a bunch after the patch

Just had my first crash. We were in a fight with ranged enemies, and I think a grenade exploded, which might have caused it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sorry if this had been answered, does anyone know what the "defences" stat for the chain axe actually does?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

S.J. posted:

Sorry if this had been answered, does anyone know what the "defences" stat for the chain axe actually does?

My presumption, as the Defences stat is also on the Ogryn shield, is that it costs way less to block stamina wise compared to other weapons. Anecdotally I can block for way, way longer with a shield than any other Ogryn weapon, though I haven't had a chance to use the billy club much past the early levels.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Keep hording those weapons that have good blessings!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1361210/announcements/detail/3485252139459350312

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've been playing for about a week and I gotta say grenades are annoying..only having one and only being able to carry one at a time is a real limiting factor on using them in tight spots.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Orv posted:

I love that most people have adopted the assassination boss strategy of curb stomping a man and basically ignoring the adds until he's dead.

The official theme song of Assassination Missions;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IVukSbQO8

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GruntyThrst posted:

That's significantly shorter if you already have the gun out and press your power. They just rotate the gun slightly instead.

Makes you way less reactionary tho

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had not really had a run yet in Darktide where it felt like the AI director had reached out its hand and said "No, no child, not today." Just had one, yeesh.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Just had a mission where our team was wiped out instantly in the second room of the mission by a beast of nurgle bursting through the wall and knocking us into an instakill pit.

No warning, no music, just a slug kool-aid manning through a wall and instantly killing the entire team.

cool.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BombiTheZombie posted:

Just had a mission where our team was wiped out instantly in the second room of the mission by a beast of nurgle bursting through the wall and knocking us into an instakill pit.

No warning, no music, just a slug kool-aid manning through a wall and instantly killing the entire team.

cool.

That sounds kind of amazing?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I'd honestly be laughing my rear end off at that

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Oh it was hillarious, for sure! Luckily it happened at the start of a mission and not after a gruelling 20+ minute run, but ill be super paranoid around any sort of instakill pit from now on.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BombiTheZombie posted:

Oh it was hillarious, for sure! Luckily it happened at the start of a mission and not after a gruelling 20+ minute run, but ill be super paranoid around any sort of instakill pit from now on.

I mean you already should be. Mutants, poxbursters, hell even an exploding barrel will do it.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Mendrian posted:

I mean you already should be. Mutants, poxbursters, hell even an exploding barrel will do it.

I had a run in the first week of the pre-order beta where a plague ogryn headbutted me right past a railing and I died instantly lmao

S.J.
May 19, 2008

drat, the chain axe is... not great? I wonder if there are variations on that one too? Getting stuck on regular swings even without revving is a huge downside.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

BombiTheZombie posted:

VT2 is actually really good about making you latch onto ledges whenever there's even the smallest part for you to grab, and so far DT seems to be similarly good, but yeah sometimes something will get you in the air--like Blightstormers in VT2 and Muties in this one--and through their Nurgle fever will have the clarity to just yeet you into the nearest abyss.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Good psyker tips

Broadly I think all of this is a really good framework for feat picks and I think a lot of it will stay true through most melee and staff changes. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that the best feats for dif 4 and 5 will be the 15% bonus damage after you use a Brain Burst on a target--that kind of team-wide damage buff just easily outclasses the other options, though I 100% think the Ability CD reduction is the utility pick and the best choice for pubbing. The Tier 4 perk that removes the movespeed reduction on quelling is laughably awful and needs to be changed to something else entirely or have some other added benefit. It would be bad even if staves didn't let you keep (most?) of your movespeed, but the fact that they do makes the feat feel like they just couldn't think of a third option for that row.

You dismiss the Tier 1 talent that regenerates toughness over 5 seconds when you gain a Warp Charge and I think that's broadly fair and almost always a good choice when playing with pubbies, but there's an extremely strong Warp Charge-focused package that can be put together when you pair it with the Tier 3 talent that lets allies have a chance to give you warp charges when they kill enemies. I was testing it out last night with some friends and, as far as I can tell, the toughness recharge stacks, so as long as you're near at least 1 ally during a horde I was functionally immortal on difficulty 3. It provides and interesting choice if you want to be able to literally tank your way through hits while you brain burst priority targets, but again it's hard to want to take that package on higher difficulties when the other Tier 3 options exist.

Soulblaze as it stands feels like a Sienna holdover that should be put into an entirely different career. None of the things that make her DoTs good--enemies on fire take bonus damage, deal less damage, etc--exist on Psyker so you're left with just the lovely DoT. Frankly I don't even want them to adjust it, I would rather them replace it with other talents that play with warp charges and force abilities and just put the soulblaze in another career entirely.

Pretty sure we all know that Voidstrike is gonna get a nerf, but it's probably going to remain excellent post-nerf if it ends up like current Fireball staff in VT2--especially since the new mechanics mean you can go for one that maxes out Blast Radius. Post-nerf Fireball staff remained an excellent choice for horde control since it didn't just stagger enemies like the Flamer but would knock them down, and DT not having friendly fire makes an even better case for it. The DT Conflag staff might just end up as a better choice for that though--I've really liked what I've tried of it in terms of damage and horde clear.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Do Curios stack? I'm using two plus Stamina ones and I don't seem to be getting extra bars. I guess it's better to get all separate bonuses.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

S.J. posted:

drat, the chain axe is... not great? I wonder if there are variations on that one too? Getting stuck on regular swings even without revving is a huge downside.

Yeah I don't like the chain axe, haven't used the one handed chain sword yet at all but the big two handed chainsword is pretty good if you haven't used that, it doesn't get stuck in on regular swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I don't like the chain axe, haven't used the one handed chain sword yet at all but the big two handed chainsword is pretty good if you haven't used that, it doesn't get stuck in on regular swings.

Yeah the eviscerator loving slaps, I love that thing.