Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Unless you want to challenge people to posting combat, what is there really to say?

posting is warfare. its the most important thing a person can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-planned-attack-japan-2021-fsb-letters-1762133

Lmfao at this article, but atleast we get this image out of it.

The best thing about this article is that it appears to just be entirely made up. The word "Japan" does not appear once in the Wind of Change email dated March 17th.

https://www.igorsushko.com/2022/04/on-nuclear-weapons-wmds-information.html

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Weka posted:

The best thing about this article is that it appears to just be entirely made up. The word "Japan" does not appear once in the Wind of Change email dated March 17th.

https://www.igorsushko.com/2022/04/on-nuclear-weapons-wmds-information.html

So it's just some thing a person posts on twitter pretending they're being written by some FSB insider?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

90% of people... in the sense the general population barely remembers there is a war in Ukraine. His criticisms of FF have been re-litigated many many many times. Unless the desire to challenge people to posting combat, what is there really to say?

Meh, there comes a point where it’s not making a bad call (everyone makes bad calls), but when someone is wrong in a specific direction, repeatedly, it points toward either habitually consuming poor info sources or just having a bad understanding of how things work.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Meh, there comes a point where it’s not making a bad call (everyone makes bad calls), but when someone is wrong in a specific direction, repeatedly, it points toward either habitually consuming poor info sources or just having a bad understanding of how things work.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/thebell_io/status/1595108480242749440

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1596182257861283840

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I think that is valid self-criticsm/improvement.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

I think that is valid self-criticsm/improvement.

This is a good example of inventing a version of me to get mad at. My takes have been pretty mild. I just never bought that Russia had awesome logistics and a Deep Battle path to victory and was on some rapid path to victory.

I did think Russia would be able to eke out the Donbass before winter and didn’t see Kharkiv being liberated so readily. I was wrong there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

how does this moron still think this in any way going to be the case, not even putin cares as much about this as this Bozo does, not only are the Russian troops not gonna arrive, and the ‘Russian world’ not gonna triumph, this guy believes in a cause not even putin believes in enough to accomplish.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sube posted:

When Israel has been invoked it is citing in the armed forces continuing to have a public presence in every part of life; not that (though it won't be pretty for ethnic Russians).

lol no, israel is a business and bigger israel means bigger business.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Going to go out on a limb and predict Lukashenko will not be facing an international tribunal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

ukraine is a big place, are they serious about the “big israel” thing and in 20 years we’re going to see news reports about illegal settlements in the east with a russian speaking “palestinian” population under constant harassment

no that's not going to happen because Russians, unlike Palestinians, have a big sovereign country and nuclear weapons

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
lmao if you think that ukraine is going to have russian speakers in it in 20 years. Any regions not under Russian control will be cleansed very quickly.

Hell, since the regular people of Ukraine are willing to throw themselves into the death machine of neoliberalism so quickly and easily they don't even need a racialized underclass to run the factories like in in Small Israel, they've got the opportunity to wipe out the entire ethnicity and just throw the "white" people into the economically forced labour, right? I don't think there's going to be any actual opposition to wiping out the "collaborators" at this point, at least not by anyone with any political influence or power at all. Even the american left is mostly just anarchists who would love to watch Russian speakers wiped out, marxists are a tiny sliver of the already tiny american left.

PiratePrentice has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Nov 25, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1596055895603044352

drat, they got us.:( Pack it in!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lostconfused posted:

So it's just some thing a person posts on twitter pretending they're being written by some FSB insider?

They're supposedly sent to Gulagu.net, a Russian penal system whistleblower site. Which imo just shows Gulagu to lack credibility. Maybe it used to be good and it's just been incorporated into the western propaganda machine, idk.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1596066963608178688?t=hv1nGoh9fwoUmbygcUsbgQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1596066973749637123?t=La1UfdcWPasg5UyatR-cSg&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1596066977038360577?t=C6MIYUk6gGFjvDoE1rqnLA&s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

It's been a strange experience because I'm not like a James Burton or Jackie Fisher reformer or whiz kid or anything like that, so finding even basic military knowledge at odds with a news cycle is a novel experience for me. I suppose I never thought of myself as being in a bubble or having specialized knowledge but the news cycle around Excalibur and the M777, I've never had regular people like my wife make claims about the business of gunnery, then get testy at my reaction. I don't know how to explain it, other than my experience and expertise, such as it is, went from being considered uncontroversial albeit dull to wrong, bordering on Russian Disinformation for as long as it took for the news to move onto the next thing.

etcetc

My dude, one of my clearest memories is being 15 years old, sat in my comfy chair in my room watching Colin Powell present to the UN the US case against Iraq and their weapons of mass destruction. A bunch of vague intercepted communications. Some anonymous intelligence sources. Satellite pictures of bunkers with trucks in front of them one day and no trucks some other day. Weird mockups of mobile bioweapons labs in trucks, and most preposterously in trains, so they could move around and be impossible for weapons inspectors to find. I remember getting up and grabbing my high school atlas and doing exactly what my high school geopgraphy class had taught me: look it up. So I flipped to the page which had the map of Iraq including its rail grid. Iraq had and has basically three loving rail lines. http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/images/iraq/iq-map-pol96.jpg

All of this poo poo set off my bullshit alarm something fierce, and the mobile rail biolabs one was even one I could prove, in my room, using random loving high school supplies.

The point is, liberal governments tell not just lies, but obvious lies, all the drat time. And liberal media will report those lies with all reverence and seriousness. And the liberal hoi polloi will lap that poo poo up. And if you try to refute the obvious lies you need a whole bunch of paragraphs of dry facts and background to make your case. If there's one thing spending way too much time argueing on the internet for the last 2 decades has taught me, it's that if you write a bunch of paragraphs (like I'm doing now lol), you've already lost. Because liberals don't give a solitary gently caress about facts. We are the atypical ones for caring about facts.

The thing that's been tripping me up ever since is fully dealing with the fact that friends, family, neighbours, colleagues, just all the regular people I meet in my day to day life seeming to be decent and generally intelligent enough people *are* those liberal hoi polloi.

For an example, I very much enjoy Dutch cabaret, which is very similar but not exactly the same as Anglo stand up comedy. I've sat in my home towns packed theater listening to a comedian go into great detail on how exactly our government sucks, fucks us over and lies about it to standing ovations and cheers of thousands of adults more times than I can remember. Then when the next elections roll around, I am one of a literal handful who votes for meaningful change. So many discussions with people grumbling about politics and politicians, yet when it comes down to it, none of them mean a word of it. It still breaks my brain sometimes.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Nov 25, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Power of Trains.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
My dude, one of my clearest memories is being 15 years old, sat in my comfy chair in my room watching Colin Powell present to the UN the US case against Iraq and their weapons of mass destruction. A bunch of vague intercepted communications. Some anonymous intelligence sources. Satellite pictures of bunkers with trucks in front of them one day and no trucks some other day. Weird mockups of mobile bioweapons labs in trucks, and most preposterously in trains, so they could move around and be impossible for weapons inspectors to find. I remember getting up and grabbing my high school atlas and doing exactly what my high school geopgraphy class had taught me: look it up. So I flipped to the page which had the map of Iraq including its rail grid. Iraq had and has basically three loving rail lines.

All of this poo poo set off my bullshit alarm something fierce, and the mobile rail biolabs one was even one I could prove, in my room, using random loving high school supplies.

The point is, liberal governments tell not just lies, but obvious lies, all the drat time. And liberal media will report those lies with all reverence and seriousness. And the liberal hoi polloi will lap that poo poo up. And if you try to refute the obvious lies you need a whole bunch of paragraphs of dry facts and background to make your case. If there's one thing spending way too much time argueing on the internet for the last 2 decades has taught me, it's that if you write a bunch of paragraphs (like I'm doing now lol), you've already lost. Because liberals don't give a solitary gently caress about facts. We are the atypical ones for caring about facts.

The thing that's been tripping me up ever since is fully dealing with the fact that friends, family, neighbours, colleagues, just all the regular people I meet in my day to day life seeming to be decent and generally intelligent enough people *are* those liberal hoi polloi.

For an example, I very much enjoy Dutch cabaret, which is very similar but not exactly the same as Anglo stand up comedy. I've sat in my home towns packed theater listening to a comedian go into great detail on how exactly our government sucks, fucks us over and lies about it to standing ovations and cheers of thousands of adults more times than I can remember. Then when the next elections roll around, I am one of a literal handful who votes for meaningful change. So many discussions with people grumbling about politics and politicians, yet when it comes down to it, none of them mean a word of it. It still breaks my brain sometimes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

You almost never make any "calls," though. You generally just imply that everyone on both sides is exaggerating. This is basically what I also do (the "not making any big calls" part), but I don't try to claim that this is because I'm more correct - I'm just "technically less wrong" because I'm averse to staking out significant claims.

And the claims about stuff like Russian artillery weren't really wrong, since Ukraine took massive and almost certainly disproportionate casualties and wasn't able to progress for many months. It's just that Russia wasn't willing to endure the casualties of fighting once Ukraine finally managed to make a significant offensive. And basic ideas that were frequently mocked like "Russia could be blowing more stuff up and are choosing not to" turned out to be completely correct when they only semi-recently started destroying utility infrastructure.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

so we're just supposed to ignore that they picked the in-game Stalker faction that is called Svoboda? The same name as the (former I guess) Neo Nazi party in Ukraine?

maybe the air-soft enthusiasts were pro-Ukrainian saboteurs.. who knows. Shouldn't have killed the poor lads either way but I suppose there is a good chance there were just socially isolated and unbalanced people like the typical airsoft enthusiasts

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

And basic ideas that were frequently mocked like "Russia could be blowing more stuff up and are choosing not to" turned out to be completely correct when they only semi-recently started destroying utility infrastructure.

I’ve always agreed they could escalate and blow more stuff up.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Starsfan posted:

so we're just supposed to ignore that they picked the in-game Stalker faction that is called Svoboda? The same name as the (former I guess) Neo Nazi party in Ukraine?

pretty hosed up that those irish people would call themselves REPUBLICANS dont they know republicans want to ban abortion

speng31b
May 8, 2010

you know what that means..... the fascists of sa twitter account can finally shut us down by reporting us to the proper authorities

speng31b
May 8, 2010

speng31b posted:

who was that guy who argued for multiple pages in the old thread that there was no evidence of discrimination targeting Russian speakers

FishBulbia posted:

pretty hosed up that those irish people would call themselves REPUBLICANS dont they know republicans want to ban abortion

poo poo we summoned him

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've always assumed people into airsoft were at a minimum light fascists just by choice of hobby

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
My dude, one of my clearest memories is being 15 years old, sat in my comfy chair in my room watching Colin Powell present to the UN the US case against Iraq and their weapons of mass destruction. A bunch of vague intercepted communications. Some anonymous intelligence sources. Satellite pictures of bunkers with trucks in front of them one day and no trucks some other day. Weird mockups of mobile bioweapons labs in trucks, and most preposterously in trains, so they could move around and be impossible for weapons inspectors to find. I remember getting up and grabbing my high school atlas and doing exactly what my high school geopgraphy class had taught me: look it up. So I flipped to the page which had the map of Iraq including its rail grid. Iraq had and has basically three loving rail lines.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

FishBulbia posted:

I understand that it is a word for Freedom (it says so in the article), my point was more along the lines that the fact that these guys were well known airsoft people doesn't mean they were identified by the Russian authorities and arrested for that reason.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence that the article explains away the symbol as being not connected to a neo-Nazi Ukrainian political movement when what it actually is happens to share a name with another neo Nazi Ukrainian political movement.

And who knows, maybe the Volya people chose that symbol for their banner too lol

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
Everyone with half a brain remember how much that Powell talk was BS. I recall the NY Times being all in on it to.

And you guys forgot one of the nicest deranged part of CnC Generals (best RTS of the 2000 if you ask me)

In the original version USA had a prison building used for interrogating prisoners, making a map reveal for X seconds. Then the Abhu Grhaib prison party got out and they removed it from the game with a stealth patch.

That game had everything going for the terrorist faction: the Anthrax craze with sludge spewing tractors, secret hidden bases, a sniper dude who's totally not Juba and technicals.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Its that time posted:

Everyone with half a brain remember how much that Powell talk was BS. I recall the NY Times being all in on it to.

And you guys forgot one of the nicest deranged part of CnC Generals (best RTS of the 2000 if you ask me)

In the original version USA had a prison building used for interrogating prisoners, making a map reveal for X seconds. Then the Abhu Grhaib prison party got out and they removed it from the game with a stealth patch.

That game had everything going for the terrorist faction: the Anthrax craze with sludge spewing tractors, secret hidden bases, a sniper dude who's totally not Juba and technicals.

"AKs for everybody!"

*cheers*

Guess that can still apply today?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Its that time posted:

suicide motorcycles ftmfw

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

When I was younger, I keyed a car because it had an iron cross decal on it. I was drunk and my friends were begging me not to and it seemed like bravery at the time and at the time I felt so proud. Now, there are fascist slogans on every other loving car - I just cannot carve enough dicks. What's the point? They'd take it as vindication anyway.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When I was younger I was younger.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

paul_soccer12 posted:

suicide motorcycles ftmfw

suicycles is an ok punk band name

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mlmp08 posted:

brutal self own

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just want to make it clear I am not telling anyone to key any cars, it is a bad idea and people don't deserve it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

When I was younger, I keyed a car because it had an iron cross decal on it. I was drunk and my friends were begging me not to and it seemed like bravery at the time and at the time I felt so proud. Now, there are fascist slogans on every other loving car - I just cannot carve enough dicks. What's the point? They'd take it as vindication anyway.

I stopped keying cars when I realized the person who owned the type of cars I keyed would love to pull out their m&p shield and mag dump into my doughy rear end

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just want to make it clear I am not telling anyone to key any cars, it is a bad idea and people don't deserve it.

yeah they definitely do

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Personally, I think all road mobile cars worth above 10k should be keyed. If someone comes with a mag lights, you should come with a baseball mat with a nail in it.

Also, what thread is this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

U/R War: For an example, I very much enjoy Dutch cabaret