Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nebula seems okay I guess? Dunno how it'd be a scam, it's just a paywall to access more videos from Youtubers you like. Lame but not as bad as 'Pay money to some guy in a shed and in return he'll definitely plant a tree and make you Earl of Glasgow'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
NordVPN and ExpressVPN are ones I hear often. I wager they are not the best VPNs around but I dont know if those could even be scams.

Still while I dont begrudge a youtuber for seeking sponsors, It does seem like a lot of them have just become complacent about what to accept.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i imagine the scam of a VPN sponsor is in the security, like that company wouldn't just as easily and eagerly sell your data like anyone else

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
They're not really a scam in the sense that you do actually receive a VPN service in exchange for money, but the ads vastly oversell how much security they provide and their benefits to the average random web user,

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
https://youtu.be/-5CzJsk8YJ8

I’m only about halfway through this, but this is a really good interview and it’s honestly great to see Spoony in good spirits and excited at the possibility of making new videos.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah most of the VPN ads I've seen these days have at least pivoted to focus on "you can watch these region-locked shows on Netflix" or whatever.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The 7th Guest posted:

i imagine the scam of a VPN sponsor is in the security, like that company wouldn't just as easily and eagerly sell your data like anyone else

Yeah, iirc nord in particular has flipped and dumped user data a couple times, plus various security breach issues.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Watched RagnarRox's Haunting Ground vid, and I feel like someone should tell him that a predatory lesbian isn't especially subversive.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
nordvpn was hacked and ppl still shill it lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

please just. do not buy something a youtuber advertised to you as sponsored content. i dont know why you would ever do that

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I guess it's time to exhume one of my favorite Jimquisition vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaisAWgY4WQ

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

fun hater posted:

please just. do not buy something a youtuber advertised to you as sponsored content. i dont know why you would ever do that

Or celebrity endorsed.

Genuinely one of the hardest things about buying something is finding a reviewer you trust

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I've seen other videos that go into more details but this is a good basic video on vpns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah Tom Scott has a video explaining why VPNs are useless for anything other than, like, watching Mexican Netflix. Youtubers are generally idiots so if they're selling you something it's probably bad.

Edit: ^drat lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

carrionman posted:

Or celebrity endorsed.

Genuinely one of the hardest things about buying something is finding a reviewer you trust

Another thing SA is good for, you can find honest opinions about a lot of products. It sits in that sweet spot of having enough users to offer relevant information without being large enough to attract the attention of ad companies. The $10 wall also helps, I'm sure.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

carrionman posted:

Or celebrity endorsed.

my fiance watches projectfarm for tool reviews bc he pits them up against each other in specific tasks with good data. i also think dankpods has his head screwed on right even if its not relevent to anything i buy

fun hater
May 24, 2009

id trust that technologyconnections guy with pretty much any electronic and thecrafsman has tinkered wirh some weird art tools sometimes. i think i would trust them too. its not a total wasteland out there

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

fun hater posted:

For my sister's birthday, I bought her a box of wines from BrightCellars because she loves wine and I know literally nothing about it. She enjoyed it and apparently has continued to get wine from them. That's my YouTube sponsor story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The 7th Guest posted:

hello fresh ostensibly does give you the ingredients and recipes even if they are priced astronomically out of line with what it'd cost to buy the ingredients yourself. but they are also union busters so. lol
oh awesome, I already hate hello fresh because they ship insane amounts of their poo poo through UPS daily, but they're also union busters? hopefully they collapse just like blue apron mostly/entirely has

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

https://youtu.be/-5CzJsk8YJ8

I’m only about halfway through this, but this is a really good interview and it’s honestly great to see Spoony in good spirits and excited at the possibility of making new videos.

He did say on twitter that it might be a while as he has a lot of anxiety about appearing on camera nowadays he's trying to manage but he definitely seems to be doing better which is nice to see.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
NordVPN's massive advertising push genuinely baffles me because it makes a legit product seem like a scam. I started using it because it had good reviews from internet privacyheads, but then Nord started throwing ads everywhere that tout things VPNs don't actually do and making themselves look insanely suspicious. It's already stupidly hard to research VPNs because the SEO has been thoroughly manipulated, similar to antiviruses. I really wish VPNs would just be honest like that Tom Scott video describes, but... that definitely wouldn't make as much money, huh.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, iirc nord in particular has flipped and dumped user data a couple times, plus various security breach issues.
I think you must be thinking of someone else because I can't find anything about that.

fun hater posted:

nordvpn was hacked and ppl still shill it lol
The hack stole a key from a specific server, which would've allowed the hackers to set up an imposter service. Very bad, obviously, but it wasn't enough to compromise the entire service, thankfully. Still might switch to a different service when my sub is up, though. I already switched away from PIA when they got bought by a friggin spam provider. It seems like they're still legit but man, there is a limit on my trust and that is past it.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 25, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My roommates use Hello Fresh and I've tried to explain to them like a dozen times that it sucks and they're throwing money down the drain and like you can just get Safeway to deliver groceries to you if you really can't be hosed to leave the house and always get back "but we get such good promo deals, and it helps us cook things we'd never cook otherwise!"

The NordVPN/ExpressVPN stuff isn't really a "scam" in that you get a functioning VPN out of it, but their advertising tactics make it sound like if you're not doing normal everyday stuff like checking your emails on your home wi-fi without a VPN then every single person in the world can and is looking at what you're doing, which isn't really the case. VPN's are nice if you're on an unsecured or untrusted public wi-fi or if you're doing :filez: stuff but otherwise aren't really doing much for you. Also they all swear up and down that they don't keep logs and would never turn over your data but that's complete horseshit, lol.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Honestly NordVPN is responsible for some of the best adverts that Erik from Internet Comment Etiquette has done so even if they product sucks I like them.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Found an addon for firefox called sponsorblock that automatically skips sponsorship messages, I recommend it for anyone interested

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
DaThings with a rare audio-only poop of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47zRVWzVrFI

I highly recommend her other audio-only poop, one of my all-time favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkE-ji1Mbo0

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sydin posted:

My roommates use Hello Fresh and I've tried to explain to them like a dozen times that it sucks and they're throwing money down the drain and like you can just get Safeway to deliver groceries to you if you really can't be hosed to leave the house and always get back "but we get such good promo deals, and it helps us cook things we'd never cook otherwise!"

I did Blue Apron for a little bit until I ran out of discount coupons and I got stuff I wouldn't have even considered making in my own that are now standard weeknight dinners. Was it a genuine benefit? Yes. Is that benefit at all worth the price tag? Lmao no.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Also, as someone who works in shipping, a ton of the hello fresh / blue apron / other food boxes have to get chucked for a wide variety of reasons. There's an absolute ton of waste.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Youtube sponser spots remind me of listening old radio serials. Though the "advantage" of Youtube scams is that even though you lose your money, it's not going to kill you. Unlike Boston Blackie being sponsered by Marlboro.

EDIT: Speaking of Hello Fresh, it does use some union labor! Those little recipe cards are printed and cut by union printers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sydin posted:

Hello Fresh does suck, but this is a psychological trick that works for some people. Like getting a gym membership, putting a bit more money or commitment at stake can help provide the motivation to do something a person wouldn't do otherwise.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I could see value in a service that forces me at gunpoint to cook something outside of my comfort zone. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Is there a site that scrapes all the hello fresh recipes and just posts those for people who are interested but also smart enough to just buy the ingredients direct? Or is that one of those "juuuuust vague enough it could be a legal issue" bullshit things

fun hater
May 24, 2009

my old roommate used hello fresh for a while but everytime there was a sauce or liquid involved it would explode everywhere during shipping

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hello Fresh does have all their recipes on their website anyway so if you just want some new ideas in one convenient, varied place you could just do that without having to pay their insanely hilarious prices. Honestly a lot of these look pretty good so I might just do that myself.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I could see value in a service that forces me at gunpoint to cook something outside of my comfort zone. :v:

I accept and I'll do it cheaper then hellofresh :blastu:

e: make this African peanut stew its delicious

https://www.africanbites.com/maafe-west-african-peanut-soup/

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 25, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

He did say on twitter that it might be a while as he has a lot of anxiety about appearing on camera nowadays he's trying to manage but he definitely seems to be doing better which is nice to see.

Someone should tell him about vtubers, just make something to track your face and do whatever. Doesn't even have to be complicated, be a rock with googly eyes or a sockpuppet, or a painting that someone's starting at people behind like an old episode of Scooby Doo Where are you?

fun hater posted:

id trust that technologyconnections guy with pretty much any electronic and thecrafsman has tinkered wirh some weird art tools sometimes. i think i would trust them too. its not a total wasteland out there

TC got me to start using those other types of can openers that pop up the lid rather than cutting through the metal and that's about the only thing I've believed a youtuber's recommendation of that wasn't like, pure gameplay of a video game with 0 commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mLxyIXpSY

Now, is the can opener really that good or does it just seem that way because the other one we had is like 19 years old? I dunno. It's kinda neat though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with Hello Fresh is that their "no food waste" claim falls apart if you're doing meals for two because there sure were a lot of recipes saying to use half of what they sent me. I stopped using it because they would never deliver on the day I told them to and the time a package never made it to me they weren't exactly helpful about it.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I'll give you all an easy recipe for free; blood sausage and apples. Always great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

muscles like this! posted:

I stopped using it because they would never deliver on the day I told them to and the time a package never made it to me they weren't exactly helpful about it.
this is why I hate hello fresh as a shipping industry employee. UPS is their primary shipper I believe, and most of their trucks would regularly arrive too late for the night shift to handle them, but if they sat for the following day shift to deal with, often the boxes would wind up late and go bad in the interim sometimes. So they shuffled things around to jam them into the trucks that arrive for the night shift, which already is overloaded and doing too much volume, and so we get inundated with the entirety of their shipments all at once rather than split apart across multiple shifts. Sometimes we get hello fresh boxes that have clearly already gone bad, whether from delayed shipment or getting soaked in rain or whatever, and they stink up the place.

they're relatively sturdy boxes, but they still tear open and spread the contents all over hell and creation far too frequently.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Famethrowa posted:

I accept and I'll do it cheaper then hellofresh :blastu:

e: make this African peanut stew its delicious

https://www.africanbites.com/maafe-west-african-peanut-soup/

Too much meat for my taste. :v:

I'm currently trying to get my Aloo Gobi just right. Which is hard, because it uses spices I have very little experience with…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Too much meat for my taste. :v:

I'm currently trying to get my Aloo Gobi just right. Which is hard, because it uses spices I have very little experience with…

its even better veggie/vegan, honestly. just sub veggie broth and maybe throw in some more potatoes.

e. aloo gobi also fucks