Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Good lord this is quality artistry isn't it.

On to buisiness, for the last 4 episodes Kerns is absolved. I forgive. He is an actual entertainer if there's a serious something somewhere, or it falls. Straight silly doesn't work with him strangely. A literal man of contrast.

Dara O'Brien can not only properly act, he can salvage a silence.
She's so good I'm still scared about posting about Fern. I like Munya's stuff when he finds a creative spark, its more better than the points show. Assassination-Sara would win easily in most other series but god this quality entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished.
He had won the victory over himself.
He thought John Kearns was actually a bit funny.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fern's done some theatre before (lest we forget her seminal role of an alien disguised as an average Scottish man), and it definitely shows. Also, props to Sarah for not being cross over the silly impression. It was wonderful, but I'd probably feel differently about it if it was me.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Also, props to Sarah for not being cross over the silly impression. It was wonderful, but I'd probably feel differently about it if it was me.

It was understated and nicely done. And Sarah is/seems cool like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't imagine anyone being upset about that impression. It was adorable.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Unkempt posted:

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished.
He had won the victory over himself.
He thought John Kearns was actually a bit funny.

I hate you for your truths

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Getting Richard Herring flashbacks where he wants it so bad and has been so generally good that I'm rooting for anyone other than Dara to win. Was pretty unsubtle how he undercut John K. in both the writing and acting discussions before those tasks were shown.

I *do* like him tho. One episode left, Sarah's only trailing by 5 points! The other three are remarkably close, but much further back.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Fern Brady has been an absolute joy to watch this series. I hope the Taskmaster bump takes her on to bigger things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dara's play was fantastic and also it's always funny to see british people pretend to sound American. They always sound constipated. Fern's best acting I think was actually in her own play with Munya, but she does capture the voice of Sarah Millican. Didn't care for Sarah's play much. A sedentary monologue is a pretty dull approach to a one man play.

Possibly John Kearn's play might've been saved more by the editing team than Dara's acting, but he definitely was trying. And I do wonder whether all the work the crew put into making a spaceship set helped him out. Maybe they'll reuse that next season for something.

The prize task was one of those things where Alex's prompt set most of them up to fail, because it's just one of those things that Greg will never appreciate.

Dara taking off the cloth and putting it into the bucket in 5 seconds and then just being done really exemplifies his Taskmaster experience.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I *do* like him tho. One episode left, Sarah's only trailing by 5 points! The other three are remarkably close, but much further back.

I didn't realize it was that close. I guess Dara had a pretty weak episode last week that put them very close.

I hope Dara wins. Mostly because while I'd be happy for either of them to win Dara clearly wants it more, but not to the point that it's annoyed me. It is more fun that it's not a done thing though so I'm still happy they're so close.

And yeah the prize task was kinda set up to be pretty poo poo. Though I think they could have done better. Like John's business card entry from earlier in the series could have fit in here and done well. They needed to do something much more out of left field than they did.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 25, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Don't think this will rank among my favorite seasons, but I'm really going to miss Fern, Kearns, and Munya being on this show. They're each so chaotic in their own special ways that I could watch a whole other season with em'.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Although, if Dara loses it would probably be attributable back to John's betrayal which would be delicious.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Creature posted:

Fern Brady has been an absolute joy to watch this series. I hope the Taskmaster bump takes her on to bigger things.

I'd never heard of her before this series, but the way she's been and her openness on Twitter has really endeared me to her, so much so that I've just booked tickets to go see her next year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Don't think this will rank among my favorite seasons, but I'm really going to miss Fern, Kearns, and Munya being on this show. They're each so chaotic in their own special ways that I could watch a whole other season with em'.

This season having so many wild cards makes up for Dara being so insanely boring and trying too hard to actually win most of the time

I think this is one of the best of the B-tier seasons if you get me. Not an all-timer like a 5/7/12, but very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna be sick laughing at these plays oh my god. What the gently caress is Sarah’s. She is demented. Fern’s impression is so good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Most seasons have one contestant who's a step above the others in terms of fame (usually the elder statesman comedian), and they never seem to win. It almost feels like it'd be unsportsmanlike for them to try to win. The only exception is Bob Mortimer who you can't begrudge winning because he's so beloved. So I hope Dara doesn't win.

And no Richard Herring doesn't count because he was up against Johnny Vegas.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

John recognizes that he’s on a comedy show and ties a towel around his neck as tight as he can. Dara wraps it around his foot and thinks he’s “won” the task.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Fern's breakdown during the snort-raspberry-whistle task was a thing of wonder to watch.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dara's play was fantastic and also it's always funny to see british people pretend to sound American. They always sound constipated.

I think it's what Dara said: just varying degrees of "kinda southern" as they drag out the vowels.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

John recognizes that he’s on a comedy show and ties a towel around his neck as tight as he can. Dara wraps it around his foot and thinks he’s “won” the task.

This feels like such an accurate read of how Dara’s been this entire season.

Tries too hard to win and barely tries to be funny, except when the only way to win a task is to be funny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

stev posted:

There was a point where I was seriously concerned that Taskmaster could cause the death of Johnny Vegas.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't act like you don't wanna see what happens when Dara and Richard meet on CoC

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't act like you don't wanna see what happens when Dara and Richard meet on CoC

They'd have to wait for CoCoC surely?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh dang, right, that was series 10

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

stev posted:

Most seasons have one contestant who's a step above the others in terms of fame (usually the elder statesman comedian), and they never seem to win. It almost feels like it'd be unsportsmanlike for them to try to win. The only exception is Bob Mortimer who you can't begrudge winning because he's so beloved. So I hope Dara doesn't win.

I'd argue that both Dara and Sarah fulfil that elder statesman role this season, they're both household names who've been around for ages.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't want people to "be funny" on Taskmaster. The humor of the show comes from people genuinely trying the tasks and the contrasting ways that plays out for each one, plus the banter. I don't see how Dara trying to be funny would improve anything, and for me a lot of laughs have come from Dara's competitiveness/playing the straight man.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Phigs posted:

I don't want people to "be funny" on Taskmaster. The humor of the show comes from people genuinely trying the tasks and the contrasting ways that plays out for each one, plus the banter. I don't see how Dara trying to be funny would improve anything, and for me a lot of laughs have come from Dara's competitiveness/playing the straight man.

Exactly this. I didn't come into this season with more than a general awareness of Dara from things like WILtY or the big fat quiz, and he's been (for me) the most entertaining of the five. Munya is the one I find totally forgettable this season.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dara is trying to be funny though? Unless you think that actually had a mental breakdown while whispering "so many hands..."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

oh jay posted:

Dara is trying to be funny though? Unless you think that actually had a mental breakdown while whispering "so many hands..."

He's also got the best (or at least the most consistently good) studio banter. I don't know why people dislike him just for being competent.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I actually don't like him in the studio. A little too long-winded for me. Compared to Munya who seems to be a one-liner, mike-drop machine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Paladinus posted:

He's also got the best (or at least the most consistently good) studio banter. I don't know why people dislike him just for being competent.

It’s not that I dislike him. I quite like his studio work (he’s the best of this bunch at it by far), but my issue with him is he’s way too cautious.

I think I phrased it wrong when I simply said he’s trying to hard. What I should have said is he plays it too safe and it’s often not fun.

IMO for most of the tasks, he hedges into the middle to make sure he can succeed. It’s part of why he’s not running away and Sarah is so close to him. He never just loving goes for it, which is what makes the show so great. Watching people just go all out with their idea and embrace the craziness. When someone does that, it’s incredibly fun watching them fail, and extremely exciting watching them succeed.

Little hedges are fun (Sarah’s hand idea is a good example), but it’d be boring if she tried to game every single task like that.

David Correos is an excellent example of it.

I don’t wanna watch Dara half heartedly tie the scarf around his ankle, then easily win if his guess was right or do middle of the pack if he’s wrong. I wanna see stuff like Kerns tie it balls to the wall around his neck and look like a psycho trying to take it off. It would have been even more satisfying if his crazy idea won him the task.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I don’t wanna watch Dara half heartedly tie the scarf around his ankle, then easily win if his guess was right or do middle of the pack if he’s wrong. I wanna see stuff like Kerns tie it balls to the wall around his neck and look like a psycho trying to take it off. It would have been even more satisfying if his crazy idea won him the task.

But that's kinda the point -- based on what (admittedly little) I know of Dara, I would expect him to play the middle-of-the-road straight man. I imagine the producers picked him for that reason too, because they knew they'd have complete space cadets in Fern and Kearns to balance it out.

Not that I would mind seeing a Champion of Lunatics series. Just pure chaos elementals in every seat. Greg would have to be tied to his throne lest he throttle a contestant per episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trabant posted:

Not that I would mind seeing a Champion of Lunatics series. Just pure chaos elementals in every seat.

That was basically what TMNZ 2 was.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I do think a taskmaster All-stars of great contenstants who didn't win, to go along with champion or champions, could be really fun..

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Didn't Alex already nix the idea of "Best of the Worst" or such, because they don't want to encourage the contestants to purposefully do badly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Didn't Alex already nix the idea of "Best of the Worst" or such, because they don't want to encourage the contestants to purposefully do badly.

New years treat would be amazing like that.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I'm reminded of Desiree Burch (because I literally just re-watched that season) when they're doing the task where they have to pop the water balloon and have to buy items with time and she says something along the lines of "My head said get the scissors its worth the time BUT then I was like no that's not the game, that's not the show, that's boring..."

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think if everyone was trying to be wacky all the time it would just turn into lolrandom soup to be honest. Characters like John Kearns and David Correos wouldn't be nearly as good if the rest of the panel were trying to do the same rather than looking at them going "what?"

Aside from setting a baseline to show up the deviations, it's fun to see an otherwise sensible contestant end up stumped by a bizarre task that doesn't line up with their methods, or find a clever solution to a difficult task, or just try really hard and fail.

I wouldn't mind the show rewarding creativity and unusual approaches a little more, perhaps with more opportunities for bonus points, fewer "gently caress you, you slipped up and get nothing" rules, or just more tasks with subjective elements that don't just reward efficiency, but that's a production issue rather than a casting one.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Dara's studio bits are quite a lot like his crowd work he does during his stand up, where he riffs off the audience. If you've ever seen him live it's immediately recognizable and very funny when he does it live, but TM doesn't really give him the time to stretch out the bits the way he does on stage.

I don't blame him for doing it though, it's just what improv is to him. Just know in a live show it shows his sense of humour a lot better

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

Dara's studio bits are quite a lot like his crowd work he does during his stand up, where he riffs off the audience. If you've ever seen him live it's immediately recognizable and very funny when he does it live, but TM doesn't really give him the time to stretch out the bits the way he does on stage.

I don't blame him for doing it though, it's just what improv is to him. Just know in a live show it shows his sense of humour a lot better

I don't dislike him on TM the way other people in the thread seem to but I can understand why this doesn't quite land for them - it has a way of stealing focus, which is fine in his live shows because he's the only performer there and the focus is supposed to be on him, but doesn't work as well in an ensemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I criticized Dara earlier, but I do like him overall. I just dislike when people take the easy way out of tasks.