Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I. M. Gei posted:

Apparently the policy is to send the salesperson home and not pay them for either that one day or the following day. Either way it's not the guaranteed minimum pay I was told I'd be making when I signed on.

Get that in writing, your lawyer will thank you. If a company sends a worker home short of a full shift, they owe them at least two hours pay just for showing up.

Johnny Truant posted:

Does that actually happen?

I got a ticket for a system running super slow and randomly having the Finder crash. I take one look at his desktop and start looking at his home directory in list view. Dude had over a thousand icons on his desktop and almost a thousand files loose in his home directory. That was a fun little tutorial session. By way of comparison, my mother once told me she wanted to show me some pictures she'd saved off the web of cats in some ancient ruins. She went to her desktop, opened the saved pictures folder, and proceeded to drill down five levels until the folder she wanted was one of a half dozen. Motherfuckers need to get on half her level. They were really cute and extremely scenic pictures of cats in some Greek ruins by the seashore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yesterday I was finishing up brewing when one of the part timers came up to ask me if I wanted my shift meal at 4. I didn't see the head chef around and asked if he was still there for the day, it turned out he was just on break so I told the guy not to risk it. I'd already grabbed a bento from the 7-11 and I didn't want him getting chewed out for making me something. He asked why and I just said the dude was really mad at me for a few things.

Later on, I'm cleaning up and he comes in with a chicken wrap for me and asked that I eat it in the brewery and leave the plate there for him to grab later so the head chef wouldn't find out. Kid's too nice for his own good. Also, lol. He's more mature than the 40 year old in charge of the kitchen.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Escape From Noise posted:

Yesterday I was finishing up brewing when one of the part timers came up to ask me if I wanted my shift meal at 4. I didn't see the head chef around and asked if he was still there for the day, it turned out he was just on break so I told the guy not to risk it. I'd already grabbed a bento from the 7-11 and I didn't want him getting chewed out for making me something. He asked why and I just said the dude was really mad at me for a few things.

Later on, I'm cleaning up and he comes in with a chicken wrap for me and asked that I eat it in the brewery and leave the plate there for him to grab later so the head chef wouldn't find out. Kid's too nice for his own good. Also, lol. He's more mature than the 40 year old in charge of the kitchen.

Countdown to when he leaves fed up with the chefs poo poo?
Or maybe being part time gives some protection of not being around the sour puss as much.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ashye posted:

Countdown to when he leaves fed up with the chefs poo poo?
Or maybe being part time gives some protection of not being around the sour puss as much.

He's been here a while for some reason. Dude runs off most part timers. Average is like three weeks because he's such a prick. I don't blame 'em.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can he at least run a kitchen? Like can he cook decent food and manage menus and orders and poo poo like that?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Can he at least run a kitchen? Like can he cook decent food and manage menus and orders and poo poo like that?

Sort of I guess. It's not like he's great at it apparently. I just stick to my poo poo. Isn't worth the loving drama. Dude's playing some weird tit for tat game with everyone and keeping scores for grievances nobody else pays attention to. Firing people here is legally difficult and I think requires more effort than the company would care to put in. Whatever. He seems miserable, so I'll just let him do that.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Barudak posted:

Unironically I had a meeting with my boss yesterday to discuss how we can spend all of our budget for the year but sell 0 more things

If you want some help with that I'll send you my PayPal details.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

If you want some help with that I'll send you my PayPal details.

I'm in Japan. Just send me the yen!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sort of I guess. It's not like he's great at it apparently. I just stick to my poo poo. Isn't worth the loving drama. Dude's playing some weird tit for tat game with everyone and keeping scores for grievances nobody else pays attention to. Firing people here is legally difficult and I think requires more effort than the company would care to put in. Whatever. He seems miserable, so I'll just let him do that.

help it along in the most passive-aggressive fashion possible by continuing to do what you are doing and letting that dude bring you food and poo poo

edit: idk if I've told this story itt, if I have here's another retelling, but at the drug factory we had a problem with scrubs. Had to dress out of street clothes into scrubs before entering the production floor... Problem is, the only scrubs that fit me and didn't show off my junk were M or L, and only the Ls with the new tags that weren't blown out waistband-wise. If those, the 2 most-used sizes were out, the only ones I could wear were 5XXL because they had a tie. Straight genie pants, gowning aseptically in those shits was a bitch. Anyway, people got around this, by the time I started dealing with this 3-year-ongoing problem (so almost 6 by the time this story happens), with zipties. One day they put out a notice to everyone's inbox right before my shift came in that using zipties to cinch the waistband on scrubs was not aspetic and a terminable offense. So I put on smalls, because there was no way around it. Small scrubs showed my dickprint, hard. Doesn't matter, whatever, I'm putting on tyvek coveralls and I work nights. I plate out of the cleanroom at 6AM to go give day shift's managers and supes passdown. It wasn't a great night in the cleanroom, I came out soaked looking like a wet dog, walk into the passdown, and immediately get confronted with, "Qwerty, why the gently caress are you wearing small scrubs, I can see your loving dick."

I told the day shift supe that said that to me that I would, "loving murder you if you ever talk to me like that again after the email that got sent yesterday." Then I told them the fill was going like poo poo, grabbed my cock and balls through the scrubs and waved it at them, and worked there for another year. Pretty sure that video still gets passed around. Pretty sure I extended my middle finger on my right hand when I grabbed my junk, too. gently caress all those assholes, now and forever.

I remember driving home so loving angry and scared about the status of my job that I was shaking, then I went to work that night and nobody there ever mentioned it again, and we were told that we could cinch scrubs with zipties "per discretion."

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 25, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

help it along in the most passive-aggressive fashion possible by continuing to do what you are doing and letting that dude bring you food and poo poo

They're having two end of the year work parties because of shifts and they asked me which day worked best. They told me the head chef didn't want to go to the same one as me so I said let him choose because I don't give that much of a poo poo and I know he'd pitch a fit if I chose the "wrong" one. Just gotta deal with him like I would deal with a badly behaved child.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They're having two end of the year work parties because of shifts and they asked me which day worked best. They told me the head chef didn't want to go to the same one as me so I said let him choose because I don't give that much of a poo poo and I know he'd pitch a fit if I chose the "wrong" one. Just gotta deal with him like I would deal with a badly behaved child.

Let him pick then show up to the one he picked.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Agents are GO! posted:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

At this point I just assume the guy has a dartboard with your face on it and shakes his fist at it when he goes to bed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Agents are GO! posted:

This is the way

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

At this point I just assume the guy has a dartboard with your face on it and shakes his fist jacks off at it when he goes to bed

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Slayerjerman posted:

You can put him on speaker and then use an old-tyme cassette recorder... Or record with a second device like your PC or tablet or something. Make drat sure you are in a one-party consent state before you do this. He'll probably try to counter sue for wiretapping otherwise.

Or have him put it in writing in an email like you should do away. Then you'll have his balls in a noose.

:proof:

Texas was one party consent, last I checked. But their judges are also stupid when it comes to employment law

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

edit: idk if I've told this story itt, if I have here's another retelling, but at the drug factory we had a problem with scrubs. Had to dress out of street clothes into scrubs before entering the production floor... Problem is, the only scrubs that fit me and didn't show off my junk were M or L, and only the Ls with the new tags that weren't blown out waistband-wise. If those, the 2 most-used sizes were out, the only ones I could wear were 5XXL because they had a tie. Straight genie pants, gowning aseptically in those shits was a bitch. Anyway, people got around this, by the time I started dealing with this 3-year-ongoing problem (so almost 6 by the time this story happens), with zipties. One day they put out a notice to everyone's inbox right before my shift came in that using zipties to cinch the waistband on scrubs was not aspetic and a terminable offense. So I put on smalls, because there was no way around it. Small scrubs showed my dickprint, hard. Doesn't matter, whatever, I'm putting on tyvek coveralls and I work nights. I plate out of the cleanroom at 6AM to go give day shift's managers and supes passdown. It wasn't a great night in the cleanroom, I came out soaked looking like a wet dog, walk into the passdown, and immediately get confronted with, "Qwerty, why the gently caress are you wearing small scrubs, I can see your loving dick."

I told the day shift supe that said that to me that I would, "loving murder you if you ever talk to me like that again after the email that got sent yesterday." Then I told them the fill was going like poo poo, grabbed my cock and balls through the scrubs and waved it at them, and worked there for another year. Pretty sure that video still gets passed around. Pretty sure I extended my middle finger on my right hand when I grabbed my junk, too. gently caress all those assholes, now and forever.

I remember driving home so loving angry and scared about the status of my job that I was shaking, then I went to work that night and nobody there ever mentioned it again, and we were told that we could cinch scrubs with zipties "per discretion."

I love this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mllaneza posted:

Get that in writing, your lawyer will thank you. If a company sends a worker home short of a full shift, they owe them at least two hours pay just for showing up.

They have (somewhat conspicuously, imo) not given me anything in writing as of yet. When I texted my boss the other day asking for clarification on whether the minimum was 4 forms per day on average or 4 forms every single day, he replied with a very terse "4 per day is the minimum".

I'm kinda worried that if I ask to get this policy in writing now, then the company might get wise to me talking to a lawyer about it and fire me for "poor performance" before I get the chance.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:capitalism:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

They have (somewhat conspicuously, imo) not given me anything in writing as of yet. When I texted my boss the other day asking for clarification on whether the minimum was 4 forms per day on average or 4 forms every single day, he replied with a very terse "4 per day is the minimum".

He texted you back? That’s in writing

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

He texted you back? That’s in writing

It doesn't say "4 per day is the minimum or else you miss a full day's pay" though.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
was there ever a mention of minimums anywhere in your employment contract though?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SerthVarnee posted:

was there ever a mention of minimums anywhere in your employment contract though?

No.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Then, just going by the contract alone, your employer kinda needs to pay you or present you with a new contract that changes your legally binding agreement to another legally binding agreement that is still legal according to local laws, would be my naïve European assumption.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SerthVarnee posted:

Then, just going by the contract alone, your employer kinda needs to pay you or present you with a new contract that changes your legally binding agreement to another legally binding agreement that is still legal according to local laws, would be my naïve European assumption.

This is very likely completely or partially incorrect. You should not give advice on this subject, as OP could make some quite bad choices if they were to take action on this in the wrong way. OP has complicated enough facts that he is in unambiguously "needs a wage and hour attorney" territory if he wants to be educated on what to look out for pay and civil rights violations wise. IIRC he hasn't posted that he has had adverse actions taken against him nor missed any pay but if either of those seem imminent, it cant't hurt to get a free consultation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SerthVarnee posted:

IANAL but I THINK if they present you with a new contract and it's a shittier contract than before they need to give you consideration. So that all in the new contract is about as good as the old one.

That might only be in certain non-poo poo countries tho

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

CarForumPoster posted:

This is very likely completely or partially incorrect. You should not give advice on this subject, as OP could make some quite bad choices if they were to take action on this in the wrong way. OP has complicated enough facts that he is in unambiguously "needs a wage and hour attorney" territory if he wants to be educated on what to look out for pay and civil rights violations wise. IIRC he hasn't posted that he has had adverse actions taken against him nor missed any pay but if either of those seem imminent, it cant't hurt to get a free consultation.

fair point. Like I said, naïve European looking at the laws of made up rules and "because we can" legislation you got going on over there at the same time as the "contracts are binding" laws. One big clusterfuck from looking at it as an outsider.
And I'm pretty sure it doesn't look much clearer from the inside.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
IM Gei lives in Texas, which has none of your sissy euro labor protections. It’s the Wild West out here, pardner, and job creators make the whole economy run - don’t you know?

Employment contracts? gently caress that, work when and how the boss says, or get hosed and find a new job!

Edit : minimum wage is $7.25/hr so he owes you that at a minimum, with some exceptions. That’s €6.96/hr for our godless Euro friends.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 26, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SerthVarnee posted:

fair point. Like I said, naïve European looking at the laws of made up rules and "because we can" legislation you got going on over there at the same time as the "contracts are binding" laws. One big clusterfuck from looking at it as an outsider.
And I'm pretty sure it doesn't look much clearer from the inside.

If they had an employment contract, that contract very well may be binding. Most frequently in states that allow such language, which is many of them, their employment terms will be described as "at will" and will contain language indicating that those terms and the duties of the role can be changed by the employer at any time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we're so desperate for shoutouts/wins that the guy who let the SSL expire over the weekend got a shoutout for calling godaddy and buying a renewal cert this morning

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

boar guy posted:

we're so desperate for shoutouts/wins that the guy who let the SSL expire over the weekend got a shoutout for calling godaddy and buying a renewal cert this morning

You guys hiring?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Go to both

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

I feel like most of the dumb companies I've worked at have callouts like this all the time.

Some guy forgot some routine maintenance tasks but fixed it once it broke everything? loving hero.
Programmer made some dumb hack that broke everything shortly after release? He's the golden boy for fixing it.
Some project team did gently caress all for weeks but cramed a whole project in 3 days making garbage to only nominally fulfilled the requirements? Better give them a 10 minute praise session in the next all hands.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I.M. Gei, I wonder if this is something your boss is going rogue to do as well, given it's not been officially announced anywhere else in writing. It might not be an actual policy as much as something he made up to 'motivate' you to get your numbers up - do you know if your other co-workers have gotten this new quota imposed? My gut is saying the reason he won't clarify is he wants you have a fire lit under your rear end and do even more than 4 per day, and he'd be upset if it's actually just 4 (similar to the 'at least 15 pieces of flair' means 'more than 15 pieces of flair' bullshit). Probably they hired you thinking you'd be bringing them a lot more business very quickly, and are now irritated but trying to 'give it another chance' with a hastily crafted quota system. Goddamn, Southern hellstate management is so poo poo sometimes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boar guy posted:

Lol we have weekly shoutout emails where a video of a VP goes through everyone who got praise this week. The video is fairly long like 20 minutes so few bother to watch, especially as recognition isn’t paired with monetary or career rewards. Most employees don’t even know they are mentioned as the email doesn’t include a list of names. I suggested including names to the one employee whose entire job seems to be to put together the video each week but was informed it was considered unworkable.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Wait, what

Does that actually happen?

Sometimes it's still the best way, there is no Arrange by Penis :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol we have weekly shoutout emails where a video of a VP goes through everyone who got praise this week. The video is fairly long like 20 minutes so few bother to watch, especially as recognition isn’t paired with monetary or career rewards. Most employees don’t even know they are mentioned as the email doesn’t include a list of names. I suggested including names to the one employee whose entire job seems to be to put together the video each week but was informed it was considered unworkable.

I.e. views would go from some to zero.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Have them add the names anyway, in white font (or whatever the email's background color is), and share the secret with a select few.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I apparently am a global exemplar for retention and now I have to meet with some honchos in out other markets on how I encourage retention in my group.

Is it rude to say "I think as long as you pay us to not do anything, team happiness will remain at 100%"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Why did I decide to start cleaning the brewhouse after brewing today? I'm gonna be here for like another hour! Awwww maaaaaan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Have them add the names anyway, in white font (or whatever the email's background color is), and share the secret with a select few.

Lol might as well.

We have two short video meetings each week with several other depts, where everyone is supposed to say what they’re working on and something they are grateful for (remnant of an Agile initiative.) Not my favorite meeting but it makes management happy and helps preserve WFH as people feel less isolated so I don’t mind.

60% of my small dept has begun ghosting the meetings, irritating my usually indifferent manager as it makes the team look bad to other teams, so we got a reminder email that folks need to attend or put a clear reason in the meeting invite. I’d also prefer fewer meetings but it’s such a tiny commitment to keep bosses happy, baffling that they can’t be bothered.