Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't think it is, technically. I believe how it works is that EM field of the transmission lines ionize the air and that makes it a good enough conductor that when you touch something that is touching the ground you can get a shock. When I was a kid we had a cool set of bike trails that were under some lines and we'd regularly get shocks by touching our bike frames.

I think what they mean is that you'll feel as if your hair is trying to stand up. With static electricity, that's because your hairs are charged and repelling each other.

In this case though, your hair will stand up because there is a big difference in electrical potential, and the charge on the wires is trying to find a way to ground. Through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Kenning posted:

I am curious about the tingle.

I have experienced the tingle. There was a route I used to cycle that went under the electric wires for half a city, and it the tingle hurt! Especially if I was sweaty and I accidentally touched an exposed piece of metal under the saddle, it would zap. I like that warning sign because the first time it happened to me I thought I was about to be struck by lightning or something.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Everyone should experience the Tingle, those books are tastefully written.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Everyone should experience the Tingle, those books are tastefully written.

Pounded In The Butt By The Electric Potential Underneath High-Voltage Electric Transmission Lines

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't think it is, technically. I believe how it works is that EM field of the transmission lines ionize the air and that makes it a good enough conductor that when you touch something that is touching the ground you can get a shock. When I was a kid we had a cool set of bike trails that were under some lines and we'd regularly get shocks by touching our bike frames.

I would have guessed it was induction.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlwxzmUupK1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlwyt3Kehi1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlwz0gaPZB1r0uzl6.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Lone Badger posted:

I would have guessed it was induction.

It's neither induction nor ionization. It's just a voltage gradient.

There is a very high voltage in the wires up in the air, and at the ground the voltage is 0. That means that if you were to take any two points in space below the wire that are at different heights, you would find that they have a voltage difference between them. That difference between your head and your toes when you walk under the wire is what you feel.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kenning posted:

I am curious about the tingle.

There is a set of high voltage lines at a golf course I went too many, many years ago with my dad. When you walked under them, I heard a hum and got a headache. No one else in the group did. Talked to someone at the course and there are employees that quit because they can't stand to be near them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EoinCannon posted:

At the cinema, in 3d, when it was released, it looked really impressive
It looks bad on TVs.

I think they're reshowing it in theaters before the new one comes out and I never got to experience it in theaters so I'll give it a go.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I'm no expert, but the tram driver is at fault on this one, right?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

nah, they're driving on the wrong side of the road :v:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nozmr8XHeDE&t=36s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DelphiAegis posted:

Depends on the law. In a lot of places, running sirens and lights doesn't give you right of way, it's just a warning, and if you run a red light and get smacked the fact that you were alerting doesn't mean you avoid liability. In other places, there is a duty to give way.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think in most places trams have right of way as they can't stop very quickly

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlx3c5Px0o1qigfjt.mp4

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

keep that guy away from real kids

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Depends on the law. In a lot of places, running sirens and lights doesn't give you right of way, it's just a warning, and if you run a red light and get smacked the fact that you were alerting doesn't mean you avoid liability. In other places, there is a duty to give way.

also, you still have to consider physics and inertia, right of way is no match for physics

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I don't see the problem, personally. Throw all police stations into giant holes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Defound the police.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
What could they even do? Keep dumping tons and tons of sand/dirt into a sinkhole hoping it won’t…sink too much more?

Genuinely asking here, I have no idea how sinkholes are fixed/fought/whatever.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Robobot posted:

What could they even do? Keep dumping tons and tons of sand/dirt into a sinkhole hoping it won’t…sink too much more?

you dump used tires into the sink hole, then set it on fire

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Platystemon posted:

Defound the police.

:golfclap:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Robobot posted:

You put a layer of asphalt on the pothole to seal it, so water stops getting in to erode the subgrade.

The best way to fight a sinkhole is not let one form in the first place - maintaining the structures that channel water away from the bits you don't want eroded is dirt-cheap compared with fixing the damage later.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think he was more saying what happens if the foundation is compromised and it's too late to pave over the hole. I'm curious too. Can't imagine you can safely brace the foundation before you shore it up, figure out the erosion problem, fill it, repave. I assume demo and rebuild.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

I think he was more saying what happens if the foundation is compromised and it's too late to pave over the hole. I'm curious too. Can't imagine you can safely brace the foundation before you shore it up, figure out the erosion problem, fill it, repave. I assume demo and rebuild.

Sink holes form as large caverns, often in limestone, due to running water. When the top is finally too thin to support the load above it, it breaks through. Then you've got a small hole in the roof of a large cavern, which rapidly expands to engulf everything above it.

There's not much you can do except keep people away until it's done eating.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

That's fine and all, but I want to see him stop.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Platystemon posted:

Defound the police.

:vince:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ChesterJT posted:

That's fine and all, but I want to see him stop.

They put the wheel back?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gone In 60 Seconds remake remake looking unnecessary.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/ezzzzzzx/status/1596171583915454464

What, it's got a handrail. Two of them, even.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Kith posted:

I don't see the problem, personally. Throw all police stations into giant holes.

donut county 2 lookin good

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

EoinCannon posted:

At the cinema, in 3d, when it was released, it looked really impressive
It looks bad on TVs.

I never saw it in theaters, but I remember seeing a trailer or commercial on TV, and the name and parts they were showing made me think the plot was like a .hack thing with a guy going into a video game.

When I found out it wasn’t, my first reaction was, “Then why does it look like that?”

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Sink holes form as large caverns, often in limestone, due to running water. When the top is finally too thin to support the load above it, it breaks through. Then you've got a small hole in the roof of a large cavern, which rapidly expands to engulf everything above it.

There's not much you can do except keep people away until it's done eating.

Yeah this is the half answer I expected and theorized. You just let the whole thing collapse, demolish what you can first? Then rebuild with the new foundation? I assume that means you'd still have still deal with the water problems. I could see how letting the building materials drop would help fill in the hole, but I'd expect that to be temporary given it's just a debris drain and not intentionally constructed...

Condemn the whole area?

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 26, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Youtube recommended me a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPApAsJbj4&t=611s

:britain:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I feel compelled to somehow edit a version of Dark Side of the Moon where all the spoken bits are Fred Dibnah samples.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Ghost Cactus posted:

I have experienced the tingle. There was a route I used to cycle that went under the electric wires for half a city, and it the tingle hurt! Especially if I was sweaty and I accidentally touched an exposed piece of metal under the saddle, it would zap. I like that warning sign because the first time it happened to me I thought I was about to be struck by lightning or something.

I'll never forget using a small boom lift under some high tension wires, it took me the entire day to realize that the metal wasn't covered in sharp splinters that kept pricking my fingers, I was getting zapped.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Turkey frier fires are apparently such a thing that an insurance company hired William Shatner to host a video about how it's a bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLOgwRkRVl8

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah this is the half answer I expected and theorized. You just let the whole thing collapse, demolish what you can first? Then rebuild with the new foundation? I assume that means you'd still have still deal with the water problems. I could see how letting the building materials drop would help fill in the hole, but I'd expect that to be temporary given it's just a debris drain and not intentionally constructed...

Condemn the whole area?

The corvette museum in kentucky had a huge sinkhole open up underneath it. They just put in a new foundation and plugged up the hole. Granted they have a lot of money and it makes the museum a little more interesting because they have a special attraction added to it now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Invalid Validation posted:

The corvette museum in kentucky had a huge sinkhole open up underneath it. They just put in a new foundation and plugged up the hole. Granted they have a lot of money and it makes the museum a little more interesting because they have a special attraction added to it now.

poo poo, they displayed the wrecked cars as part of a new exhibit about the sinkhole for a while. (Still might, I dunno).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CORVETTE MUSEUM TO PRESERVE CAR-EATING SINKHOLE BECAUSE TOURISTS LOVE IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Lmao ok not the answer I expected