Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Hirayuki posted:

That's one of those songs where people pick and choose the lyrics to use. I've heard it all my life--it's been sung to three generations of babies in my family, not to mention all the popular culture appearances--and it's only ever the chorus, which is clearly only positive.

Drives me crazy when my wife sings it to our kids- god forbid I ever wake up to find them gone because it was all just a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still pretty sure a lot is explained by the fashion industry being very stubborn and frothingly misogynistic, and also just generally insane.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I want to say it was the national bank of NZ? that used "bittersweet symphony" in a few ads.

You're a slave to the money then you die indeed

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Whenever Eminence Front by The Who gets used by a finance company or car maker or some luxury brand.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The moral of the story is that basically nobody actually gives a poo poo about song lyrics aside from maybe rote memorization of them so they can sing along to it. Its not a dumb marketing move because nobody loving cares.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's got a beat and you can dance to it. What do you mean it's a song about a girl cheating on her boyfriend with two of his friends and is inappropriate for a wedding? Shut up or get off the dance floor!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The moral of the story is that basically nobody actually gives a poo poo about song lyrics aside from maybe rote memorization of them so they can sing along to it. Its not a dumb marketing move because nobody loving cares.

Man sometimes the title doesn't even matter. Green Day's famous song is called Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) but it's still been used all over the place for good-time gatherings where you are currently having the time of your life which is meant to continue.

edit:

The song's single art is a pair of eyes sarcastically rolling

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Nov 26, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Man sometimes the title doesn't even matter. Green Day's famous song is called Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) but it's still been used all over the place for good-time gatherings where you are currently having the time of your life which is meant to continue.

edit:

I've been subjected to crap acoustic renditions of this at end-of-year assemblies, graduations and camps throughout my childhood. Every. loving. Time.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Phanatic posted:

At least the Bridal Chorus is an actual wedding march in the original. "Entry of the Gladiators" is clown music now.

Gladiators are a type of clown, when you think about it.

"You are not a gladiator. You are the entire Colosseum."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've been subjected to crap acoustic renditions of this at end-of-year assemblies, graduations and camps throughout my childhood. Every. loving. Time.

They know exactly what they're saying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Would you rather that or Vitamin C - Graduation (Friends Forever)?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

run on sentience posted:

I've definitely heard the first two lines of Fortunate Son by CCR used in ads glorifying America but I can't recall for what products.
Wrangler jeans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaPTL-1yphQ

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much every time Born in the USA or I'll be Watching You is used (which is a lot).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ham Equity posted:

Pretty much every time Born in the USA or I'll be Watching You is used (which is a lot).

The only time I've ever heard Every Breath You Take (I'll Be Watching You) used properly is at the end of an episode of the short lived series 'Stalker'.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I have a friend who likes Outkast but never really paid attention to the lyrics so when I put on the Eden cover of Hey Ya it kinda blew his mind when it clicked what he was listening to.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Speaking of songs and dumb marketing, do you guys also get 1 8 77 KARS 4 KIDS DONATE YOUR CAR TODAYYY

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Speaking of songs and dumb marketing, do you guys also get 1 8 77 KARS 4 KIDS DONATE YOUR CAR TODAYYY

Fuuuuck this. Those ads are awful.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

No but I have an annuity and I need cash now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

I have a friend who likes Outkast but never really paid attention to the lyrics so when I put on the Eden cover of Hey Ya it kinda blew his mind when it clicked what he was listening to.

People not listening to the lyrics is the entire point of Hey Ya, he does outright say "Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance" at one point, so making a sad ballad out of it is... really dumb, not gonna lie

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

This isn't a thing in the UK at all, so when it showed up in The Good Place as the official song of The Bad Place (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEdlLHsvl8&t=110s) I was pretty confused.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I don't mean to sound like a :tinfoil:, but what many people don't know is that the programs Kars 4 Kids support go primarily to Jewish children and heavily promote an Orthodox Jewish lifestyle.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kars4kids-charity-misleads-donors-report/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

disappointed that Kars 4 Kids does not, in fact, distribute copies of battle tendency

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm so dense, I thought Little Green Bag was about a handbag accessory the narrator was particularly proud of.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm so vain, I thought that song was really about me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

CJacobs posted:

edit:

This was chosen to be the theme for my husband's graduating class. We mocked the school relentlessly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Red Oktober posted:

The only time I've ever heard Every Breath You Take (I'll Be Watching You) used properly is at the end of an episode of the short lived series 'Stalker'.

As well as the movie "Conspiracy Theory," played for a guy who spends a lot of time "protecting" his therapist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volmarias posted:

As well as the movie "Conspiracy Theory," played for a guy who spends a lot of time "protecting" his therapist.

I thought the whole point of the movie is that he's presented as clearly a deranged stalker, up until we find out all the conspiracy theories he's been spouting are actually true and he was right all along.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I've never heard of it, but it sounds dumb. Kids don't even have driver's licences.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've never heard of it, but it sounds dumb. Kids don't even have driver's licences.

Ah, of course! It's about removing traffic from the road by giving cars to those unable to use them!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well yeah, how are you supposed to get a license without a car?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Gladiators are a type of clown, when you think about it.

"You are not a gladiator. You are the entire Colosseum."

Certainly in physically strenuous live entertainment. Gladiator games were basically pro wrestling with a slightly higher in ring death count.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Certainly in physically strenuous live entertainment. Gladiator games were basically pro wrestling with a slightly higher in ring death count.

Including having toys of famous gladiators made with accessories of their favorite weapons, and newsletters distributing their stats throughout the empire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Byzantine posted:

Including having toys of famous gladiators made with accessories of their favorite weapons, and newsletters distributing their stats throughout the empire.

And endorsing products in the ring!

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

Pepsi used Brown Sugar.

The commercial generated a bit of controversy at the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfkBAhPbYBs

Volmarias posted:

Yes, but the song was "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" performed by Frankie Valli and then by Lauryn Hill.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought the whole point of the movie is that he's presented as clearly a deranged stalker, up until we find out all the conspiracy theories he's been spouting are actually true and he was right all along.

Yes, but then it turns out the guy was Mel Gibson all along! :ohdear:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Pretty much every time [...] I'll be Watching You is used (which is a lot).

My brother and his wife chose that for their first dance at their wedding. They were both big The Police fans at the time but...still :staredog:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My suggestion for Whipping Post for my sister's wedding was not well-received, although my future (and now ex-) brother-in-law was amused.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Any fan of hip-hop is probably laughing at this conversation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They’re reading this conversation and they’re laughing! They’re laughing!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've heard a right wing AM talk show using parts of a Ghost song for their bumper music.

Obviously a band with a song about Mike Pence called "Griftwood", and one that includes the lyrics "It's the continence of bishops with their choirboys en suite" is the perfect thing to put on right wing talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Correct.

RoeCocoa posted:

Yes, but the song was "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" performed by Frankie Valli and then by Lauryn Hill.

... Yes, my mistake. They're both applicable.