Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fishstick posted:

Rippergun should be available pretty early

Got mine off the market at lvl 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In other gnarly gore I only notice in the testing room: If somebody has a big enough health pool to survive a plasma head shot, the splash is so big it pretty much melts their face off. Rough time...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

To this I would add, for the benefit of babby Ogryns : that lovely shotgun we start with ?

First of all, it's not so lovely. Yes, it does take ages to reload. It is known. But up close, it murks EVERYTHING in a geyser of gore. And even at range, it makes most everyone fall on their rear end which saves collective bacons.
But you knew that much. Here's the big secret : that alt-fire melee swing ? That's the only real cleave thing you're going to have for... ever, maybe ? I'm not 100% sure, haven't tried every Ogryn melee weapon yet. And it's... actually really good ? It's a little slow, but it FUCKS UP hordes, especially if you swing it at head-height.

And sure, the Ripper does more damage more faster and gives you range... until it's empty. It takes glacial aeons to reload - hell it even slows down your movement while you're doing it. And until you do that, you're stuck with a one-target bayonet (which seems to pierce, so maybe you can do Stuff with proper fiddly positioning).
Me, I'd stick with the club-slash-shotty until unlocking Our Lord And Savior the twin-linked heavy stubber. Get yourself some melee weapon that's better'n the starter club (which is any, really) and you're good to go.

Give the Bull II Cleaver I think it is a shot. Only Ogryn melee I can stand.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

I have that as an occasional bug, not an all the time thing, sorry. Only a restart fixes in that case though.

alt+enter > alt+enter

Orv
May 4, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

alt+enter > alt+enter

Doesn’t fix it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

Doesn’t fix it.

Weird; does for me. Tried opening and closing the chatbox?

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Ogrynchat: The shield is pretty good but I don't think it's as mandatory as lots of people are saying it is. Granted, I'm still leveling up and playing on difficulty 3 mostly but I've found ranged enemies to be a lot more dangerous but not necessarily needing the shield. I lean on a lot on the first tier feat that gives big chunks of toughness back when you hit multiple enemies with a single heavy attack and trinkets that provide +toughness. I actually do like the starting club for Ogryn quite a bit, if you know how to cancel for combos there's a really good combo that's light attack -> heavy attack -> cancel -> repeat that gives you big sweeping right-to-left then left-to-right sweeps. Even the Ogryn's light attack with the club can knock down 3 or more regular enemies, and the heavy swing just floors like 5+ easy. I've been switching between the ripper guns and the thumper (rumbler I think in this game? the noob tube). The ripper gun is ferocious, has longer range than you might think (seems to be the case for most shotguns in this game too!), and the special melee attack with it is good for stacking bleed on tanky elites and bosses. The thumper is just satisfying as heck to use and the melee attacks with it are awesome sweep combos - identical to the starting one-shot shotty - that count as heavy attacks for the purposes of the first-level talent

You do get hit by ranged a fair bit more than other classes but can keep toughness up in horde moments just by swinging through, and the ogryn's crazy HP values means taking the occasional melee hit as you stagger hordes is not as huge a deal for the other classes

Orv
May 4, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Weird; does for me. Tried opening and closing the chatbox?

That I have not tried I’ll give it a shot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have it permanently. Nothing fixes it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

Give the Bull II Cleaver I think it is a shot. Only Ogryn melee I can stand.

I've started using the cleaver, yeah. It seems pretty good, I'm now one-shotting the basic grunts, but that could also be because I went from a rating of 130 to 200.

e: Heavy Stubber seems less useful at long range than I was hoping, there's a lot of recoil

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The boltgun is apeshit I can't understand how anyone can find this thing underwhelming lol.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

I've started using the cleaver, yeah. It seems pretty good, I'm now one-shotting the basic grunts, but that could also be because I went from a rating of 130 to 200.

e: Heavy Stubber seems less useful at long range than I was hoping, there's a lot of recoil

You gotta fire in very small bursts to hit long range targets with the Stubber, but it can be surprisingly accurate.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

terrorist ambulance posted:

What melee weapons are you using

The cleaver that's the horde clear version. Let's you do your melee job (horde clearing) with incredible ease, and the heavy attacks are fine for dealing with meatier targets. The special attack uppercut is also perfect for chain staggering Ragers, Maulers and Crushers, but especially Crushers since in melee you main job is to keep them occupied while someone with armor piercing does actual damage.

I've tried the shield and it is really nice for approaching gun patrols, tanking snipers and reviving people (hold block while you revive someone!), It's pretty mediocre at horde clearing and only passable for bigger targets.

I'm trying out a max level billy club now to see how it feels after the buffs.

Disclaimer I've not really had a chance to push difficulty 4 at all. Most of this is done at difficulty 3.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 26, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Phlegmish posted:

You should def just be tap firing at long ranges, and make sure you're bracing the gun while doing it. Even targets with flak armor don't take that many bullets and it's easy to aim for heads.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

rideANDxORdie posted:

Ogrynchat: ... I actually do like the starting club for Ogryn quite a bit, if you know how to cancel for combos there's a really good combo that's light attack -> heavy attack -> cancel -> repeat that gives you big sweeping right-to-left then left-to-right sweeps. Even the Ogryn's light attack with the club can knock down 3 or more regular enemies, and the heavy swing just floors like 5+ easy.

this combo wrecks hordes ty

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay I just had one of the smoothest runs of my life. Dropped into a Redactus mission with another vet and two Ogrhyns. One Oggy had a grenade gauntlet, another a stubber. The other vet had a lasgun and I had a braced autogun. We had heavy metal answer to every configuration of threat thrown at us and stomped basically unopposed from one end of level to the other.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

mouse cursor bug - open the chat box, put mouse cursor inside it, then enter-key to close it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Qmass posted:

mouse cursor bug - open the chat box, put mouse cursor inside it, then enter-key to close it.

Just unlocks the cursor from the centre of the screen so it flies around while I'm playing

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, a good blue MK12 lasgun was on sale for my Zealot and I figured I should give it a try. Turns out it probably is the best overall, safe pick for either Veteran or Zealot IMO: ammo-efficient, powerful, perfectly accurate, good sights, and does good damage against every target type save carapace, which your high-tier melee weapon usually handles. Shotguns and to a lesser extent revolvers are my preferred guns for Zealot due to quick swap responsiveness, but an MK12 never leaves me feeling helpless in the vast majority of engagements.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

JBP posted:

Just unlocks the cursor from the centre of the screen so it flies around while I'm playing

I've been having the same issue since the start of the beta. Nothing fixes it for me, alt tabbing, alt entering, changing Fullscreen/windowed/fsw does nothing. The only thing that did anything is backspacing in the chatbox, which just changes whether it's locked to the center of the screen or flies around as I move my mouse.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone else getting the special requisition selection changing before the actual timer is rolling around?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

JBP posted:

The boltgun is apeshit I can't understand how anyone can find this thing underwhelming lol.

Yeah, it rocks. Punching through armor makes it so good, I just wish it had a better sight.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

S.J. posted:

Anyone else getting the special requisition selection changing before the actual timer is rolling around?

Some people have said it changes when you level, but others have said it also just changes sometimes randomly too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

fadam posted:

Yeah, it rocks. Punching through armor makes it so good, I just wish it had a better sight.

I like the idea that the reason why the bolter has such a poo poo sight is because the people who normally use them, Space Marines, have all kinds of advanced targeting built into their helmets/eyes already so sights are basically redundant. Sadly we're not an affront to god in that way so we have to rely on the lovely little stubs.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I like the idea that the reason why the bolter has such a poo poo sight is because the people who normally use them, Space Marines, have all kinds of advanced targeting built into their helmets/eyes already so sights are basically redundant. Sadly we're not an affront to god in that way so we have to rely on the lovely little stubs.

Yeah, Marines have things built into their visual feed that allow them to see down barrel from the boltgun, in addition to just being far more familiar with them than any mortal will ever be.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Is "power" basically damage? I can't tell if this is better than the +cleave ability I have on another hammer.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Evil Kit posted:

+ stamina doesn't actually give you extra bars, it just makes the bars there more efficient
It absolutely does give more bars:

baseline

+2 stamina

+4 stamina

+6 stamina

Pretty sure it's like Vermintide where each "shield/bar" represents two stamina each.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Had some interesting dialogue that i heard for the first time today one was about either Rannick or Morrow being a survivor of a genestealer uprising and the player questioning what happened to all the other operatives in that mission and the other was about Rannick basically "running this solo, no oversight" - so I think the mystery of Grendyl not being around or being mysterious is gonna be part of the mainline story once this launches for real?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Evil Kit posted:

Having just hit 30 on Ogryn as the only class I've played in the beta, ranged weapon choices seem straightforward.

Grenade Gauntlet: Tired of armored targets and those pesky specials getting ignored by your teammates as they blast you? Grenade them. Bonus points if you like the bleed talent and just want to murder single targets high hp up close without having to use any actual grenades. Also using a high level one the higher bars of Blast Radius really let you CC entire groups of ranged minions at a distance with a single nade, it's fantastic.

Heavy Stubber: so you want to clear hordes and gun patrols? Here's your dakka, way more efficient at range than the ripper, and even just 2 bullets clipping Dredge shooters will gib them, with a couple more needed for Scabs. Has a long rear end reload to go with its huge rear end mag size, but tbh I'm not sure what others say about it being ammo inefficient, I've pretty much never run out of bullets. Not worth shooting Crushers with ever though, and the special attack might as well not exist.

Ripper: tbh I think this is a good intermediate gun till you get the heavy stubber if you want horde clear and to evaporate gun patrols asit sort of does both jobs of the weapons above in different, slightly less effective ways. Way less ammo efficient than the stubber but arguably comparable in terms of horde clearing but you won't be doing it nearly as far or for extended periods. Fine to suppress gun patrols with but you aren't gonna be clearing them out if they're 20m out or more, don't expect any significant kills till you get closer. You can't whip it out quite as often for literally every horde like you can with the stubber, but it's much better at killing high health targets and the special attack (especially with a unique blessing later on that gives it Rending) is great for apply bleed with the relevant feat on high health, high armor targets. If you want to be able to hold your own against gun patrols though, go with the stubber. Still think it's a good intermediate role between the above weapons.

Thumper: I need to buy one to try, haven't had a chance. Looks like a lot of fun and still pretty effective.

There's two single shot Ogryn guns, the Thumper (shotgun) and and the Rumbler (grenade launcher).

Rumbler is another one that has the ability to reach out and touch specials at significant range, and it is absolutely satisfying to use because it has amazing sound design between the sound of the shot, the sound of the grenade impacting off enemy armor, then it tumbles in the air for a second before making a giant fuckoff detonation that kills anything around it. It's extremely satisfying and the one downside of it is that it doesn't stun or kill bursters.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Fats posted:

Is "power" basically damage? I can't tell if this is better than the +cleave ability I have on another hammer.

It’s a combination of damage, cleave and stagger (assuming it functions like in Vermintide 2)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, every other mission is Leman Russ tank this and Lemon Ross tonk that, if we don't get to drive one where each of the player gets a crew spot (Driver with the fixed heavy bolter, Gunner with top turret, and two sponson gunners) I'm going to be very disappointed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One position is you, half out the hatch, with a sword, and whoever is in that spot has special voice lines about wanting to get closer.

The Ogryn works the same as any other characters in the tank, he just has a throwaway complaint about being cramped and then it never comes up again.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Got a chainsword on my veteran.

Lol chainsword go brrrr.

It is so satisfying.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay so assassination, strike, raid, investigation, repair, what are the other two? I've apparently done all seven types on my account, but my Ogryn is missing just one, which I assume is currently out of rotation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay so assassination, strike, raid, investigation, repair, what are the other two? I've apparently done all seven types on my account, but my Ogryn is missing just one, which I assume is currently out of rotation.

disruption and espionage and they are out as the maps got removed from rotation and these mission types haven't been activated on the other maps yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

disruption and espionage and they are out as the maps got removed from rotation and these mission types haven't been activated on the other maps yet.

I just did an espionage mission earlier today?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i thought the imperium exterminatus planets if there's even a hint of heresy, which given the amount of chaos infestation on tertium seems like something they would willingly do without hesitation

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Morden posted:

i thought the imperium exterminatus planets if there's even a hint of heresy, which given the amount of chaos infestation on tertium seems like something they would willingly do without hesitation

Were that the case then they wouldn't really need any land armies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a bug where I was trying to do the sequence on the interrogator but when my device came up it didn't have a screen, so there was nothing for me to click.

Now that I have a good braced autogun this game is feeling smooth as hell. And I know some people don't like the chainaxe and I can see it's flaws, but it's been letting me mulch armored units like nothing I've tried before.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

General Morden posted:

IIRC Exterminatus is really an absolute last resort sort of thing if whatever is happening in the planet threatens the Imperium as a whole. A little chaos incursion brings an inquisitor and whatever bodies they can throw at the problem, it doesn’t automatically warrant glassing the planet.

Plus Atoma is strategically valuable both for its Leman Russ manufactorum and the moebian ore mined there— life is cheap in the Imperium, but infrastructure and useful resources are not.