Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

St george had a spear not a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

St george had a spear not a sword

Be that as it may if you search "st george costume" your average result doesn't care much for accuracy beyond chainmail and a St George cross

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Rarity posted:

Ok maybe Qatar's not all bad

they chose... poorly

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

they chose... poorly

lol

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well crusaders shouldnt have switched adopted him as a patron saint then and changed his imagery to that of a crusading knight :colbert:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i say swears online posted:

:actually: i don't think qatar was involved in the crusades. it was mostly euros vs turks and some egyptian fatimids

Ummmm actually islam and arabs are a thing and the egyptians fatimids and syrians, Iraqis, Hijazis and palestinians considered themselves arabs who the qataris are an extension of.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

EEKA GEEK posted:

I personally get a sense people are triangulating on peoples' posts in other subforums and razzing them for unrelated things and it kinda sucks.

There absolutely are people who are saying "ah, now I can enjoy the World Cup, unfettered by guilt"

I would suggest it's less that, as much as that you're not going to unbribe Platini or raise a bunch of dead people, but you can at least hold Qatar and FIFA's feet to the fire in terms of honouring their pre-tournament promises for the actual fans who are visiting.

Is there a bit of salt in there where people actively want to make Qatar look bad for killing a bunch of people to hold a stupid tournament in a desert where they boo hoo that they bought all these western things without expecting that the people involved would bring their stupid western values with them instead of dutifully clapping along like they were paid to do?

Yeah, probably, but gently caress 'em.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

i say swears online posted:

:actually: i don't think qatar was involved in the crusades. it was mostly euros vs turks and some egyptian fatimids

Yea it was the whole Jerusalem thing and the areas around it like Syria, Egypt area.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Ummmm actually islam and arabs are a thing and the egyptians fatimids and syrians, Iraqis, Hijazis and palestinians considered themselves arabs who the qataris are an extension of.

rip qatari-egyptian relations 632AD-2013AD

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

stab posted:

Jfc the crusades invaded and murdered these people's ancestors you nonces

Qatar was like 5 people subsistence fishing until the 60's

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Qatar was like 5 people subsistence fishing until the 60's

Actually the men were big into pearl necklaces

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
My complaint is this link will go dead soon because they're copyright striking everything, but what a goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeiZKZ7pfoY

(Richarlison's goal)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABExyEPim9o

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sadly Nobody who matters cares, already lots of western artists and entertainers are lining up for that Saudi money even after everything they’ve done, so qatar is no different, I don’t get why they even bother pretending to care we all know nothing will be done about this.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Totally normal and definitely not super hosed up:

quote:

An Argentinian reporter’s live interview with a wheelchair user at the soccer World Cup in Qatar was cut short when officials appeared and demanded the crew stop filming. Journalist Joaquin Alvarez was speaking to the soccer fan for the popular Nosotros a la Mañana TV show when three officials crashed the conversation, ordering Alvarez to produce his media credentials and making the cameraman point his lens away from the fan.

“This is what the Qatar government is like,” Alvarez’s colleagues said in the studio in Buenos Aires. The reporter later resumed filming in the back of a car, explaining he’d been told to leave the area where he had been working earlier because it is “private.” “I was frightened and thought they were going to take me prisoner,” he added. “This is an example of severe censorship and we have to say so,” his colleague Nicolas Magaldi remarked.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qatar-world-cup-officials-censor-live-tv-interview-with-fan-in-wheelchair

Wonder how Infantino would spin this - "hey at least he's not a ginger Italian, that's real repression"

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
what, they don't want depictions of disabled people enjoying the world cup? Is that part of their religion?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

They literally had a disabled person next to Morgan freeman at the opening ceremony there’s no way that’s just the story, that would be hosed up but maybe there’s more to it?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Al-Saqr posted:

They literally had a disabled person next to Morgan freeman at the opening ceremony there’s no way that’s just the story, that would be hosed up but maybe there’s more to it?

Jesus Christ stop being such a cringe rear end gulf apologist fud

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Jesus Christ stop being such a cringe rear end gulf apologist fud

I’m not being an apologist I’m just pointing out that there’s gotta be more to it because on my side I’ve seen a lot of disabled people enjoying themselves just fine also it was super poo poo of them to close down that broadcast I’m just wondering if that’s all there is to the story, I don’t put it past them to be that cartoonishly dumb.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 26, 2022

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
point yourself back to gbs you piece of poo poo

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
There’s got to be more to each of these stories that just keep happening.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hadji murad posted:

There’s got to be more to each of these stories that just keep happening.

No I’m 100% certain about the anti-lgbt oppression I’m just bewildered that they would attack a handicapped person out of the blue, it’s weird.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They shut down that Danish reporter just before the Cup started as well so it could just be a general thing against journalists but lol if you think that makes them look better

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
"Government pays lip service to high minded ideals but actually cracks down on people in the streets" isn't exactly a rare or hard to understand phenomenon.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1596211135430070272

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That's loving crazy why? Also is this even true? I've been watching all of the world cup no problems at all, where's this coming from? I think this might be fundamentally untrue I've been watching the games no problem and so is everyone else.

even MBS was there on the opening day wearing a qatar team scarf, and you would think given how things are going for the national team they'd be all over this world cup!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 26, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Al-Saqr posted:

That's loving crazy why? Also is this even true? I've been watching all of the world cup no problems at all, where's this coming from? I think this might be fundamentally untrue I've been watching the games no problem and so is everyone else.

even MBS was there on the opening day wearing a qatar team scarf, and you would think given how things are going for the national team they'd be all over this world cup!

The Qatari's own international broadcast rights yeah? That would easily explain it.

Or a more ignorant, more islamophobic, (yet still plausible), reason would be, that Qatar has allowed women in the stands watching football. Something I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to do in Saudi Arabia. So perhaps MBS doesn't want his womenfolk getting ideas that they can have the same football watching rights as men.

Or maybe it's just a petty dick swinging contest between two petty authoritarian censorship-happy nations for reasons only they know or care about.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Qatari's own international broadcast rights yeah? That would easily explain it.

Or a more ignorant, more islamophobic, (yet still plausible), reason would be, that Qatar has allowed women in the stands watching football. Something I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to do in Saudi Arabia. So perhaps MBS doesn't want his womenfolk getting ideas that they can have the same football watching rights as men.

Or maybe it's just a petty dick swinging contest between two petty authoritarian censorship-happy nations for reasons only they know or care about.

Nah saudi is currently shifting away from theocratic fascism to normal fascism women now have the right to do all sorts of stuff except freedom of speech or criticize the government, the women on stands is not the issue at all.

I think this is fake news, I'm watching the saudi vs poland match today at a friends house no problems.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Tai posted:

I wouldn't be shocked that they have no idea tbh. A massive amount of Brits have no idea about Churchills dodgey history outside of WW2.

Oh sure they just decided to wear that for no particular reason at all lol.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The other night I was at the bar and the one thing we could agree on regarding the world cup besides it being a corrupt embarrassment to the sport was that some British guy would be arrested for being drunk and British and it would cause some kind of international incident.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
they werent drunk and they werent arrested though

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
There's still plenty of time friend.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Nah saudi is currently shifting away from theocratic fascism to normal fascism women now have the right to do all sorts of stuff except freedom of speech or criticize the government, the women on stands is not the issue at all.

I think this is fake news, I'm watching the saudi vs poland match today at a friends house no problems.

Did you even read the article?

quote:

Under its agreement with FIFA, beIN is broadcasting 22 World Cup games on free television in Saudi Arabia, including the opening game, the final and all of Saudi Arabia’s games. The remaining 42 are only available on Tod.

The free broadcast is not having issues. Tod is having the issue in Saudi which is owned by BeIN Media Group.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah theres plenty of easily provable things the gulf states do that you dont have to resort to making poo poo up.

They blocked Beins streaming platform. And its been known KSA has a bit of a vendetta against Bein (and al jazeera).

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 26, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1596469819804508160

rut-roh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I had been led to believe that Azerbaijan was the land of fire, maybe I was mistaken.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

wonder which of the fan accommodations it was

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Finally, the artificial clouds!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

webmeister posted:

wonder which of the fan accommodations it was

Says it was an under construction building, all the FIFAtm Fan Parks are fully constructed and open for business pls do your research next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Is this gonna be like when F1 had a race in Saudi literally the day after there was a missile strike a few miles from the track?