Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Not sure in the sim, but control trim is definitely a thing ing most big helos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A real helicopter cyclic (stick) doesn’t have any centering springs or aerodynamic feedback. You can easily position it wherever you want and hold it there with zero pressure. The downside is if you let go for a split second, the cyclic will flop over to the side, and your chopper will spin towards the ground. To counter that, nicer (read $$$) helicopters have a “force trim” feature which uses hydraulics to create an artificial centering force for the cyclic. The pilot can turn it on and off with a button on the stick, and the neutral point of force trim is when he releases the button.

Most real helicopters don’t have a pedal trim. Again, like the cyclic, there is no aerodynamic pressure or artificial spring force on the anti-torque pedals. You can just rest your feet wherever they need to be. Best way to replicate this is to just remove the springs from your rudder pedals.

In MSFS you can bind the rotor trim lateral/longitudinal increase/decrease and rotor trim reset commands instead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no feedback at all through the controls? Do you just guess where things should be?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, the helicopter is moving around as you move the controls, so that helps give you a clue.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Well, the helicopter is moving around as you move the controls, so that helps give you a clue.

also the violent shaking when you yank the collective

I don't think the sim is modeling effective translational lift and vortex ring states all that well. I mean my only comparison is DCS, but trying out this Bell feels pretty video gamey.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I probably just need to tweak more, but in the Bell I'm spinning out wildly on takeoff. I'm used to the DCS Mi-8, so I'm used to helicopters adamantly trying to kill me at all times, but even the pedals at full deflection doesn't even slow the spin down.

ethanol posted:

also the violent shaking when you yank the collective

I don't think the sim is modeling effective translational lift and vortex ring states all that well. I mean my only comparison is DCS, but trying out this Bell feels pretty video gamey.

Make sure to turn off the assists. They on by default.

Squiggle posted:

I'm finally giving the helicopters a try, and after learning how to fight the fucker into the air without assists and figuring out the trimming I'm just tooling around Chicago at sunset with the SimCopter soundtrack going and giggling to myself.

No idea how to land, but I'll get there. Great update.

Actually, that reminds me: is there a way to, for lack of a better term, "trim the rudder?" I guess I mean like...adjust the centerpoint of my pedals maybe? The constant pedalwork is (I assume) part of the package, but figured I'd ask.

A man of culture and refined taste :hmmyes:

Hopefully it's the tracks on youtube with the commercials still in, those were the best part.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Make sure to turn off the assists. They on by default.

Which assists are you talking about? all my flight model options in general options are already set to realistic, same as they were for fixed wing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ethanol posted:

Which assists are you talking about? all my flight model options in general options are already set to realistic, same as they were for fixed wing

There's two specifically for helicopter assists now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

ethanol posted:

It's an Assistance Option, not the Flight Model - under "Piloting" there are two new assists for helicopters specifically that default to On when they were added. Assisted Tail Rotor and Assisted Cyclic.

skooma512 posted:

I probably just need to tweak more, but in the Bell I'm spinning out wildly on takeoff. I'm used to the DCS Mi-8, so I'm used to helicopters adamantly trying to kill me at all times, but even the pedals at full deflection doesn't even slow the spin down.

Dumb question, but is your tail rotor axis reversed? I barely have to give it any pedal on takeoff, at -50% sensitivity and 75% reactivity. But I had to "Reverse axis" on my bindings to make it go the right direction. Couldn't figure out why my spin was speeding up.

EDIT: There are also a couple known issues with the Bell flight model - don't know if this is the problem, but workarounds/fixes are here

skooma512 posted:

Hopefully it's the tracks on youtube with the commercials still in, those were the best part.

gently caress yeah it is

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 19, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Squiggle posted:

It's an Assistance Option, not the Flight Model - under "Piloting" there are two new assists for helicopters specifically that default to On when they were added. Assisted Tail Rotor and Assisted Cyclic.

Found it. reasonably better. a bit frustrating the force trim button doesnt work. I shut off the fuel valve at 3000 ft and was able to do a pretty decent auto rotation landing though.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
The new Stream Deck Plus looks pretty great. I have an original Steam Deck that I specifically got for simming but its uses outside of that for stull like OBS, Discord, and Zoom controls are great. Not having knobs was a void I tried to fill with MIDI controllers but I could just never really seem to get those working well outside of Axis and Ohs which doesn't support DCS. Pricing seems pretty comparable to a lot of the other dedicated NAV hardware out there and has lots of use outside of sims.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
If anyone's interested in following along, I'm flying around the world in a Beech 18 in FS2020. I've got a thread going over in the LP subforum.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Is anyone else finding the C-47 career in IL2 to be kinda lackluster? Just did the D-Day mission on hard, dense traffic. Had only my flight in the sky and didn't face a single AA gun.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

jadebullet posted:

Is anyone else finding the C-47 career in IL2 to be kinda lackluster? Just did the D-Day mission on hard, dense traffic. Had only my flight in the sky and didn't face a single AA gun.

Unless they've upped it recently, I believe the engine can only handle a max of around 16 aircraft in the air at any given time. So, mass waves of C47s over Normandy are bound to be unimpressive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gewehr 43 posted:

If anyone's interested in following along, I'm flying around the world in a Beech 18 in FS2020. I've got a thread going over in the LP subforum.

Thanks for linking this. I gave that a read last night. I enjoy your writing style too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

slidebite posted:

Thanks for linking this. I gave that a read last night. I enjoy your writing style too.

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it and I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Airline Flight Attendant Simulator VR

I was disappointed this wasn't actually Thrill of the Fight 2

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

JayKay posted:

Airline Flight Attendant Simulator VR

I was disappointed this wasn't actually Thrill of the Fight 2

Does it include hand shaking scenarios?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zC3dKQ42Y

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

It's going to take until mid-January to get here, but the HP Reberb G2 is half off today, down to $300 and I went ahead and pulled the trigger. My Rift S was aged when I bought it, and my system's way beefier than it used to be so bring on the extra res

edit to add link

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 28, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Squiggle posted:

It's going to take until mid-January to get here, but the HP Reberb G2 is half off today, down to $300 and I went ahead and pulled the trigger. My Rift S was aged when I bought it, and my system's way beefier than it used to be so bring on the extra res

You won't be disappointed, especially with Flight Sim. The game is beautiful looking in VR on the Reverb.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I said come in! posted:

You won't be disappointed, especially with Flight Sim. The game is beautiful looking in VR on the Reverb.

:hmmyes:

$300 is a hilariously good deal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

$300 is a hilariously good deal.

Yep, that's 50% off, if anyone in this thread has been considering VR now is the best time to pull the trigger.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yeah! Hell, I've been satisfied with the Rift S up to this point, but I just barely managed to talk myself out of the G2 for cockpit games at full price two weeks ago and a 50% drop was waaay more than I ever expected. I hear the controllers are dogshit, but hell - got the Rift for that.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was having ridiculously annoying stutters (anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds) on every touchdown since SU9, I think. Mostly in jets, and it made landing ridiculously hard because I'd constantly end up overcorrecting or slamming into the runway when control came back. After going through endless threads on the official forum I finally found some sort of fix, at least it seems fixed so far. It was to rename a bunch of landing effect files in the base folder (like smoke and water effects) so they don't load. The difference was immediate and I'm no longer flying for RyanAir.

It is apparently loading all these touchdown effects a fraction before you land and, maybe because my drive is slow, it just freezes the sim until it's all in memory. These are tiny files so I have no idea why they couldn't just stay in memory as part of the plane. Anyway, for whomever it might help here's the link to the post I found

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/freeze-lags-while-touchdown-but-fps-around-50-while-approaching/405138/31

I've only done two flights so maybe it's a placebo thing but so far the difference is day and night.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Steadiman posted:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was having ridiculously annoying stutters (anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds) on every touchdown since SU9, I think. Mostly in jets, and it made landing ridiculously hard because I'd constantly end up overcorrecting or slamming into the runway when control came back. After going through endless threads on the official forum I finally found some sort of fix, at least it seems fixed so far. It was to rename a bunch of landing effect files in the base folder (like smoke and water effects) so they don't load. The difference was immediate and I'm no longer flying for RyanAir.

It is apparently loading all these touchdown effects a fraction before you land and, maybe because my drive is slow, it just freezes the sim until it's all in memory. These are tiny files so I have no idea why they couldn't just stay in memory as part of the plane. Anyway, for whomever it might help here's the link to the post I found

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/freeze-lags-while-touchdown-but-fps-around-50-while-approaching/405138/31

I've only done two flights so maybe it's a placebo thing but so far the difference is day and night.

Holy gently caress. It really is that easy.

You won't even notice the lack of effects on touchdown because there is no replay feature and most people aren't on external camera on landing anyway.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:dice: but :msfs:

I've been looking forward to the GNS overhaul for so long and right as it comes out MS also drops a free high-quality third-party airliner on us so I've been playing with that instead despite not normally being a tubeliner person. Something about that particular aircraft just tickles all the right parts of my pathetic nerd brain

Seriously though that A310 is really good. You can get it up to cruise and then you can open the cockpit door and go into the cabin and go sit in any seat you like and gaze out the window and even see one of those little in-flight trip progress thingies on the seat back, that absolutely rips

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve been taking some flights in a full, non-certified Airbus 320 cockpit running P3D. Coming from 30 years of PC flight simming, it’s crazy how the different stimuli kick you in the brain after an hour or so, even if you know exactly where what should be. I know where the flap lever is but having to actually reach for it while doing something else is surprisingly challenging, or when on touchdown poo poo starts to beep and bop and you overthink how pedals work or maybe I should use the tiller aaah gently caress.

+1, recommend.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mokotow posted:

I’ve been taking some flights in a full, non-certified Airbus 320 cockpit running P3D. Coming from 30 years of PC flight simming, it’s crazy how the different stimuli kick you in the brain after an hour or so, even if you know exactly where what should be. I know where the flap lever is but having to actually reach for it while doing something else is surprisingly challenging, or when on touchdown poo poo starts to beep and bop and you overthink how pedals work or maybe I should use the tiller aaah gently caress.

+1, recommend.

Flying different/older aircraft also does this for me. I got the BAE146 the other day and I'm used to dealing with the tubeliners and their workflow tropes, so everything is just a little different. It yelled at me about takeoff config when I was on the roll already, but since it doesn't have a way to tell me what's wrong like the Airbus does, I just continued lol. The autopilot is also not quite what I'm used to dealing with at this point either, especially since it doesn't have some of the conveniences a plane just a few years newer would and so you have to have it remember your yoke position like a loving helicopter's force trim.

And then there's the fact it's all a simulation so I'm going to different airframes all the time with different bugs and different levels of modeling. Asobo's aircraft lets you play really fast and loose with most of the checklist items, the 146 won't let you retract the airstairs from the tablet unless you've gone ahead and activated the hydraulics first.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm thinking about buying that Turtle Beach Flight Stick they just released. Seems like it sits in a good middleground the way the Honeycomb yoke does. In that the market either has ancient rear end hardware that is not so good or you are spending a lot of money for super serious flight stick stuff. I haven't seen any reviews yet but if I do buy it I will report!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

skooma512 posted:

Holy gently caress. It really is that easy.

You won't even notice the lack of effects on touchdown because there is no replay feature and most people aren't on external camera on landing anyway.

Yeah when I saw that I honestly didn't try it at first because I thought it couldn't possibly be this easy. But there you go...it is. Why that wouldn't be cached is completely beyond me, they're absolutely tiny files so they could be perfectly happy living in memory without bothering anyone. Instead they chose to load them at the most critical time of landing and causing a stuttering mess for some. I think I figured out why it's particularly noticable on tubeliners too: more wheels. I guess it loads the effect for every surface that contacts the ground, and it might load all of them at once because it doesn't know what kind of surface it is until it touches down. These are all guesses of course but it certainly matches the experience.

Sapozhnik posted:

Seriously though that A310 is really good. You can get it up to cruise and then you can open the cockpit door and go into the cabin and go sit in any seat you like and gaze out the window and even see one of those little in-flight trip progress thingies on the seat back, that absolutely rips
How do you do that walking around thing? I tried the drone camera but it's not stuck to the airplane and doesn't work well in flight for that. Wish it had a simple first person walkaround mode, that could be a fun little distraction. Especially with some of the detail people put in airports, down to interiors. Also seconding the love for the A310, it's at just the right sweet spot between Boeing and Airbus, very unique plane. Amazing that they gave this away for free, it looks stunning and is really fun to fly because of all its idiosyncracies.

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 29, 2022

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

soggybagel posted:

I'm thinking about buying that Turtle Beach Flight Stick they just released. Seems like it sits in a good middleground the way the Honeycomb yoke does. In that the market either has ancient rear end hardware that is not so good or you are spending a lot of money for super serious flight stick stuff. I haven't seen any reviews yet but if I do buy it I will report!

For what it's worth, you can get midrange stuff from fancy boutique companies, such as the excellent Gladiator NXT series from VKB:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=gladiator-nxt-joysticks

The Turtle Beach controller looks nice as well, but I want to throw out that you have some other options in the same price range.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

soggybagel posted:

I haven't heard many good things about the Turtle Beach Flight Stick. If you're on XBOX, you're kinda limited in peripherals. But if you're on PC, there are much better options out there in that price range.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Shine posted:

For what it's worth, you can get midrange stuff from fancy boutique companies, such as the excellent Gladiator NXT series from VKB:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=gladiator-nxt-joysticks

The Turtle Beach controller looks nice as well, but I want to throw out that you have some other options in the same price range.

Those look nice. Are they able to stand on their own? It looks like they would need to be mounted on something?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Those look nice. Are they able to stand on their own? It looks like they would need to be mounted on something?

they stand well on their own with the large metal plate base and little rubber feet, and also have bolt holes to mount easily as well.

highly recommend the gladiator. nothing else comes close in that price range until like $400+ sticks imo

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

soggybagel posted:

I have a lefty NXT (which, uh, if anyone wants a left hand one for HoSAS, let’s chat, I didn’t wind up using the lefty stick). They stand fine on a desk (are you looking at the handle-only items?), though like most joysticks they feel better if solidly mounted.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Steadiman posted:

Yeah when I saw that I honestly didn't try it at first because I thought it couldn't possibly be this easy. But there you go...it is. Why that wouldn't be cached is completely beyond me, they're absolutely tiny files so they could be perfectly happy living in memory without bothering anyone. Instead they chose to load them at the most critical time of landing and causing a stuttering mess for some. I think I figured out why it's particularly noticable on tubeliners too: more wheels. I guess it loads the effect for every surface that contacts the ground, and it might load all of them at once because it doesn't know what kind of surface it is until it touches down. These are all guesses of course but it certainly matches the experience.

How do you do that walking around thing? I tried the drone camera but it's not stuck to the airplane and doesn't work well in flight for that. Wish it had a simple first person walkaround mode, that could be a fun little distraction. Especially with some of the detail people put in airports, down to interiors. Also seconding the love for the A310, it's at just the right sweet spot between Boeing and Airbus, very unique plane. Amazing that they gave this away for free, it looks stunning and is really fun to fly because of all its idiosyncracies.

First you have to make sure you have the free PC enhancement pack for the A310 installed from the marketplace, because the base A310 is stripped down for the Xbox and doesn't have high res cockpit textures or any cabin at all.

Then go into input settings and bind WSAD to cockpit camera translation and you can "walk around" the plane's interior.

If you want to look around third party payware airport scenery then yeah you're going to need the drone cam for that.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

soggybagel posted:

I have an original NXT and one of the newer EVO Omni throttle ones (best right hand throttle option IMO), neither of which are mounted to anything, and they're great.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Has anyone used the Rex Simulation weather add-ons for FS2020? Are they worth it for someone who primarily flies with live weather on? It looks like most of the free weather mods are just additional presets for weather, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some weather mods come with challenges as well, like SoFly's Storm. The Rex one seems to improve real weather fidelity. At least it doesn't seem to come with presets. That said, I haven't used it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

Has anyone used the Rex Simulation weather add-ons for FS2020? Are they worth it for someone who primarily flies with live weather on? It looks like most of the free weather mods are just additional presets for weather, but maybe I'm just missing something.

The game's live weather is superior.

Rex weather is just a hack that injects local weather, so you don't get stuff like cloud fronts on the horizon. And it breaks every patch.

Rex's season product is good, but stay away from their weather