Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

surf rock posted:

I know that "America loves an underdog" is a cliche, but... does everybody else not?

Wondering about that as I find myself rooting for the Saudi team despite Saudi Arabia being a Not-Very-Good country and greatly liking Poland.

Also, doesn't hurt that the Saudi coach is maybe the most handsome man on the planet, goddamn

The World Cup presents a good mixture of who's a heel in the football world and who's a heel in the geopolitical world. You have countries like england that are unambiguously both but a lot that are one but not the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

TheRat posted:

I like an underdog, Lewandowski is very unlikable, and the polish are kicking/elbowing the poo poo out of everyone. It's an easy choice for me.

E: Like, the fact Matty Cash was allowed to stay on the pitch to be involved in their goal is possibly the worst decision of the tournament

Yeah, but the Saudis are diving everywhere.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

vyelkin posted:

give us a live feed from the saudi dressing room

insert texas chainsaw gifs here

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

There is zero moral difference between poland and Saudi Arabia just cheer for Saudi lol

No

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

surf rock posted:

I know that "America loves an underdog" is a cliche, but... does everybody else not?

Wondering about that as I find myself rooting for the Saudi team despite Saudi Arabia being a Not-Very-Good country and greatly liking Poland.

Also, doesn't hurt that the Saudi coach is maybe the most handsome man on the planet, goddamn

Renard means fox

drat his tight white shirt and boy band hair

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

surf rock posted:

Its funny when poo poo teams beat better ones op

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Bip Roberts posted:

The World Cup presents a good mixture of who's a heel in the football world and who's a heel in the geopolitical world. You have countries like england that are unambiguously both but a lot that are one but not the other.

Oh poo poo I want a list of the faces, heels, and tweeners in the World Cup

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

surf rock posted:

Oh poo poo I want a list of the faces, heels, and tweeners in the World Cup

Biggest face is Jack Grealish, because there is literally nothing behind it. You can talk about wrinkles and smoothness for some people. This man has literally nothing in there but air. He exists through vibing his way as one with the quantum strings in the universe.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Renard means fox

drat his tight white shirt and boy band hair

and Herve means "bright iron" so his name translates to "Bright Iron Fox" which is pretty accurate

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Al-Saqr posted:

There is zero moral difference between poland and Saudi Arabia just cheer for Saudi lol

hahaha
are you trying to sportswash this...forum?

also Lewandowski's assist was kinda amazing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The best is when you have a bad team that talks like it's good from a place that earns you no sympathy and they get beat down real good and I save that for the us, but the Junior anglophone countries work well too.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Al-Saqr posted:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mrenda posted:

Biggest face is Jack Grealish, because there is literally nothing behind it. You can talk about wrinkles and smoothness for some people. This man has literally nothing in there but air. He exists through vibing his way as one with the quantum strings in the universe.

maguire has the biggest face op

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

Junior anglophone countries

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
now I want saudi to get absolutely hosed 5-0 minimum

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kecske posted:

Only if you include the forehead

sad question
May 30, 2020

So far they haven't chainsawed their way into my heart

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

The best is when you have a bad team that talks like it's good from a place that earns you no sympathy and they get beat down real good and I save that for the us, but the Junior anglophone countries work well too.

what

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

kecske posted:

There is a philosophical debate troubling the greatest of the French continentalists about where Maguire's head splits into "face." Some would argue rather than a head/face split, some that there is actually a third entity involve. The "slab."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Last time I checked the forehead is part of the face

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Last time I checked the forehead is part of the face

I'd say it's part of the head rather than the face, me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

:yeah: Love it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Last time I checked the face was also part of the head

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

TheRat posted:

i've always believed that the face includes the eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth, and cheeks, but that the chin, forehead, ears, and hair are separate entities.

i've also always believed that the Saudis win this game 3-1.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

TheRat posted:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Best world cup hair cut ever

sad question
May 30, 2020

Head is the entire bit. Face is the front bit

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lmao

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Cash probably should be off yeah

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Last time I checked the face was also part of the head

But the head is not part of the face

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

TheRat posted:

everything below the hairline is face imo, cheeks are face, chin is face, forehead (fivehead) is face. the pangaea theory of head elements

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Pretty sure these guys were all born in Saudi Arabia, and that you're thinking of Qatar
Probably UAE too, i saw like 5 tv reports on that exact kind of contract between Middle East countries and young players during the last 10 years.

In simple terms, according to FIFA rules, you may play for:
the country you were born in; or
if your grandparent was born in a given country, you are eligible to play for that country; or
if you are married to a citizen of another country, you may play for that country; or
if you are a naturalized citizen (live and work) in a country, you may play for that country.*

*Originally the 4th rule stated that players had to have reached 18 years old and have lived in the country for 5 consecutive years, but that rule has been relaxed lately due to the young age of players.
For the most part, you may not play for another country once you have already played for one, however, occasional exceptions are made.
:10bux: In general, the final say comes from FIFA and/or the governing body for soccer for the country in question. :10bux:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
OH MY GOD ANOTGER loving INJURY?!

THESE POLES aRE barbarians!!!!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

OH MY GOD ANOTGER loving INJURY?!

THESE POLES aRE barbarians!!!!

They're the cool dudes in Alexander Nevsky for real

sad question
May 30, 2020

Their faces just touched a bit

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kecske posted:

everything below the hairline is face imo, cheeks are face, chin is face, forehead (fivehead) is face. the pangaea theory of head elements

"Why the long face?"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wooowww I gotta say big ups to the polish defense they are really ironclad

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

love a bicycle kick attempt

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

karmicknight posted:

saudi arabia diving like they just got the power from argentina in mega man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Finally one of the poles got hit

God dammit don’t offer your hand in help crush them!!!