Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

That Works posted:

I have not used experimental mode before. How does that sync up if I am using saved games from the stable version and when the experimental version goes live want to revert back to stable etc.?

Navigate into your satisfactory directory and make a copy of your current game, calling it something like <savegame>-experimental. Then in steam opt into the beta and download the experimental version. Load up the copy of your save in experimental and see what blows up, if anything. If the damage is bad it might be worth just starting a new game rather than trying to fix everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

I have not used experimental mode before. How does that sync up if I am using saved games from the stable version and when the experimental version goes live want to revert back to stable etc.?

When the update gets released to stable, the two branches will be identical for a while. So in steam you can switch back to the stable branch and it won't download or patch anything, and saves keep working as normal.

Their save system is very good about always being forward-compatible, so it's never a problem taking saves from the stable branch into experimental. However, you can't take a save from experimental and go back to stable. This is just the individual save files, not the entire world. So like I make a hard save called "last pre-U7" before I moved to experimental. If something went desperately wrong I could revert to stable and load that.

As Cimber says they recommend to back up your whole save directory before switching to experimental just in case, but that's more in case they gently caress up real bad. IIRC most of the problems with saves getting wiped have been steam cloud shenanigans.

edit: saves in windows are located in %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\FactoryGame\Saved\SaveGames

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 20, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks all

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

If anybody is playing a modded game and having problems with recipies that involve fluids+solids (turbofuel, alumina solution), the mod that is causing the problems is Fluid Sink.

Edit: or maybe not. Disabling Fluid Sink Fixed the mixed recipies, but now I can't convert Heavy Oil Residue to Petrolium Coke.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
More blueprint quirks: blueprint builds are always centered on the sum center of objects in the BP* when placing in normal mode.

This means that BPs with asymmetry may place individual machines off the foundation grid, despite the BP as a whole snapping to grid points. My actual example is a 3 refinery blueprint, which places the refineries a tiny bit off. I think the pipes are not exact mirror images on both sides. The result is that a merger box built right against the refinery IO port produces an illegal belt shape.

*Ex: you build stuff only in one half of the designer box. Placing that BP on normal foundations or the open world, the stuff will be centered on your cursor. Only when building in blueprint mode, onto / snapped to another blueprint, will it be off on one side (in relation to the print you're snapping to).

SkunkDuster posted:

Edit: or maybe not. Disabling Fluid Sink Fixed the mixed recipies, but now I can't convert Heavy Oil Residue to Petrolium Coke.

You haven't updated to experimental have you? Experimental plus mods is not recommended.

One of the reasons I now play vanilla only is because of that. (The other is that pretty much all of the mods I liked are now in the vanilla game, other than Micro Manage. And micro manage stuff is possible to replicate by exploiting beams if you're patient.)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Klyith posted:

You haven't updated to experimental have you? Experimental plus mods is not recommended.

One of the reasons I now play vanilla only is because of that. (The other is that pretty much all of the mods I liked are now in the vanilla game, other than Micro Manage. And micro manage stuff is possible to replicate by exploiting beams if you're patient.)

No, still playing the regular release. Recipes with fluids have been wonky for a couple weeks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just getting back to this with experimental now for the 1st time in a year or two. I never got very far and forgot everything I knew. I am about to start building my 1st coal power setup. Is it still worth it do like 1 coal mk1 miner, 8 coal generators with 3 water extractors (1 water piped in halfway down the manifold) using T1 pipes? Should I be using mk2 conveyers for this or can I get away with mk1?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That Works posted:

Just getting back to this with experimental now for the 1st time in a year or two. I never got very far and forgot everything I knew. I am about to start building my 1st coal power setup. Is it still worth it do like 1 coal mk1 miner, 8 coal generators with 3 water extractors (1 water piped in halfway down the manifold) using T1 pipes? Should I be using mk2 conveyers for this or can I get away with mk1?

I can't recall how long ago this happened, but there's a chance the main change to coal power since you last played is that it's always on full-blast no matter what the system drain is, so you have to provide constant coal and won't be able to, say, tap off overflow coal to use somewhere else.

The building ratios you're familiar with still work, including having to space out the connections to the water extractors due to mk1 pipe throughput limits. Each set of four coal generators will need a mk1 belt's worth of coal, if you're feeding them all from the same input it will need to be mk2 until it gets to the first split (if you're splitting it in two, to go to two sets of four generators, if you're doing it as a manifold you can switch after the fourth generator).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO just do like 4 generators fast and cheap with a single mk1 belt line & 2 extractors at 66%, and keep the bioburners running as backup. Concentrate on unlocking mk2 miners & mk3 belts asap.

Basically, 8 coal gens is nice for being a whole number of miners and extractors, but it's the wrong amount of power. 360 MW isn't enough the rest of phase 2, so you're gonna need to expand anyways. OTOH if you treat that first coal power as a "gently caress biofuel" temporary deal, you can delay spending effort until you tech up.

Once you have mk2 miners you can design things that will be useful long-term. Anything designed around mk1 miners is gonna be obsolete crap real fast, but mk2 miners are useful for the whole game. About 1GW of power will keep you pretty comfortable until fuel power in phase 3. That's readily achievable with mk2 miners and a decent site.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

IMO just do like 4 generators fast and cheap with a single mk1 belt line & 2 extractors at 66%, and keep the bioburners running as backup. Concentrate on unlocking mk2 miners & mk3 belts asap.

Basically, 8 coal gens is nice for being a whole number of miners and extractors, but it's the wrong amount of power. 360 MW isn't enough the rest of phase 2, so you're gonna need to expand anyways. OTOH if you treat that first coal power as a "gently caress biofuel" temporary deal, you can delay spending effort until you tech up.

Once you have mk2 miners you can design things that will be useful long-term. Anything designed around mk1 miners is gonna be obsolete crap real fast, but mk2 miners are useful for the whole game. About 1GW of power will keep you pretty comfortable until fuel power in phase 3. That's readily achievable with mk2 miners and a decent site.

Do you have a decent guide / tutorial anything fairly brief for setting up a coal powerplant with mk2 miners / mk3 belts? I am juuuust now getting the 1st coal plant going, still have to build something to make the phase 2 space elevator stuff / have not ever touched steel yet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In my next playthru I think I want to do a mega factory. All once place. Materials have to be shipped in by train only. That might be fun. Less running around at least

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

That Works posted:

Do you have a decent guide / tutorial anything fairly brief for setting up a coal powerplant with mk2 miners / mk3 belts? I am juuuust now getting the 1st coal plant going, still have to build something to make the phase 2 space elevator stuff / have not ever touched steel yet.

Here's my setup for coal gens with mk.3 belts.

Each group of 18 coal gens is using the full 270 coal that a mk.3 belt can hold and produces 1.35GW. This is on the eastern coast of the desert, those two coal nodes are pure and normal so you'll have to use more power shards on the normal node to get to 270.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

Here's is what I would do as my guide for easy, large-scale coal in U7:
1. 3 water extractors @ 84% clockspeed
2. A mk1 pipe
3. A linear block of generators that equal :rock: 6.66 total value (ex, 6 gens with 2 clocked to 133%)
4. 100 coal/min

That's a module. Repeat it as many times as you have coal (OC the coal miners to get up to the next 100). Each module is 500 MW.

Example:

4 "modules", using 5 generators each (extra OCing), for a total of 2 GW power. If you happen to be in the dune desert, this is the far north-east corner and it's a great place for it. There's some coal nodes there that are pretty useless for anything else.

The principle is that each pipe is a single direct connection between the extractors and the generators. This avoids mixed / "injected" pipelines entirely, so you never have to worry about flow balance. Using NESG's pic as an example: his setup is great, but if you move the extractors around to different positions it might not work.

However, NESG's pic is also a good example of the generators and the extractor are built at more or less the same level. That's a good one to follow because it avoids pumps. Also avoid underfloor pipes until you want to learn more about the fluid system. (and by "learn", I mean "be cursed by")

The downside: you need some slugs. My habit is to use lots of power shards for generators, because I have plenty and they're not wasteful like using them in normal machines. Some people don't have slugs because they hate exploring. Also now that OCing is less power-hungry in U7, maybe people want them for other stuff.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Here's my setup for coal gens with mk.3 belts.

Each group of 18 coal gens is using the full 270 coal that a mk.3 belt can hold and produces 1.35GW. This is on the eastern coast of the desert, those two coal nodes are pure and normal so you'll have to use more power shards on the normal node to get to 270.

Wait, I'm confused by your diagram and picture. I thought the ml/s limit on pipes meant you couldn't have more water input and output than the pipe limit of 300ml/s for tier one pipes. Am I missing how they're distributed, not understanding something else, or have I been building way too many individual pipe networks when I could really have everything all connected together?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

skeleton warrior posted:

Wait, I'm confused by your diagram and picture. I thought the ml/s limit on pipes meant you couldn't have more water input and output than the pipe limit of 300ml/s for tier one pipes. Am I missing how they're distributed, not understanding something else, or have I been building way too many individual pipe networks when I could really have everything all connected together?

It's set up in such a way that the pipes never fill to the full 300 (or they hit it exactly, been a while since I built these). The two extractors on either end are producing 240/min, the three in the middle are set up so that the ones on the ends are producing 120/min and the one in the middle is effectively split in half providing 60/min to both sides (I used unpowered mk.1 pumps to make sure everything is flowing where it should, they function the same as valves before you can unlock valves). Kylith was right in saying that the setup won't work properly if you change the position of the extractors.

Ordinarily I wouldn't advise feeding this many water extractors into one continuous pipe but I worked out the math and placement of extractors so that it all functions.

e: Did the flow analysis for one side and it's actually producing slightly more water than necessary:

The important thing is that you don't try to feed more than 300 water through the pipe from one end. It doesn't matter if flows from different directions "run into each other" since the pipes fill from bottom to top, the only inefficiency in this system is that the sixth generator is receiving 60 water instead of the 45 it needs so one of the water extractors will be turning on and off periodically. This could be solved by underclocking if you're the type that wants 100% green lights all the time.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 23, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Piping becomes way easier than it seems when you realize they all usually just fill up and the liquid doesn't only flow in one direction. My coal power is just a long line of plants with another pipe filling in from the top when there's room in the mainline.

At every plus there's another pipe in here connecting into the one pipe that's connected to all the generators. It's not super elegant, it takes a long rear end time to get started all the way but it will work eventually and is very easy to scale up forever. If you overproduce water here it doesn't really matter at all either. You could add another pump leading into the very end of this to fill it up from the other side until they're all started and then just remove it. Me being a lazy manifold person this is what I do with the pipes going over a conveyor belt with the coal on it.

What NoEyedSquareGuy posted is way more efficient for starting up, much more elegant and more thought out so do that if you want 18 coal power plants to match your exact coal output, my thing here is more to explain how you can simplify piping in general for whatever liquid and you can expand it forever with as little or as much liquid you need. My coal miner also makes gunpowder so it's less exactly calculated for coal power

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 23, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

skeleton warrior posted:

I think the important bit you may have missed is that the flow limit is per pipe segment, not the whole network. So in that example there's never more than 300 flow in any one bit.

Here is why I wouldn't recommend doing that for a My First Generators setup: fluids can flow in two directions at once, even in a single pipe segment. Both directions count to the flow cap. Fluids will go in the "wrong" direction because the machines consume fluid in gulps rather than continuously, or particularly from elevation changes.

This means that networks with complicated in-out-in-out stages may have less headroom than you expect. NESG's setup works perfectly because every section of the pipe has plenty of headroom, and because it over-produces water slightly. Both of those things are important to making it work.

(OTOH you can have backflow problems with extremely simple networks too! A really long line of fuel generators is good at doing this. 99% of the "pipes are buggy" talk on the game's reddit are from people having backflow.)

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

(I used unpowered mk.1 pumps to make sure everything is flowing where it should, they function the same as valves before you can unlock valves)

Extremely important note: an unpowered pump is a one-way valve, but it cuts headlift to zero on the other side. So it only works on 100% level pipes, or if the pump is above the destination.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Passive creatures is so chill, I love it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Have they officially added passive creatures? May have to jump back in cause I was getting annoyed by things attacking last time I played this.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Update 7 will have it yes. You get to pick between normal, retaliatory where they only attack you if you start or passive. It's out on experimental.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Anyone else finding blueprints more trouble than they are worth? Getting them to align and figure out which way is the front and rear is really difficult. More than once I've put down a chain of constructors to find that either I put it so the splitters were next to the mergers my accident, or that they were one or two grid units off.

I found its faster and easier to just poo poo out the machines like normal, rather than using blueprints.

One exception was for railway lines, that made it fairly easy to make a unified design with the decorations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cimber posted:

Anyone else finding blueprints more trouble than they are worth? Getting them to align and figure out which way is the front and rear is really difficult. More than once I've put down a chain of constructors to find that either I put it so the splitters were next to the mergers my accident, or that they were one or two grid units off.

The alignment thing becomes vastly easier with the hoverpack, because getting a top-down view makes lining things up much easier. When I didn't have a hoverpack I kept the lookout tower on the end of my build bars, because I'd constantly throw them down to get a higher perspective on stuff.

Blueprints save you a lot of work so it's worth taking the extra 20 seconds to make sure you're doing it right. Also blueprints snap to each other, so you should do that to keep from being a grid space mis-aligned.

Seeing splitter and merger directions is kinda annoying in build ghost, and when doing blueprints I guess you're probably also a bit further back so even worse. You might want to try adjusting the colors of build ghosts in the options. A less saturated color shows it easier.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Can you use the arrow patterns on the foundations in a blueprint to help with input and output directions?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ardlen posted:

Can you use the arrow patterns on the foundations in a blueprint to help with input and output directions?

Oh, I don't put foundations down because I could not get the foundations to snap to the existing grid. Perhaps they fixed that in the most recent patch?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I just had an almost-brilliant idea to put signs with arrows / direction indicators in a blueprint, but sadly signs are blank when building a blueprint.

I guess you could use beams to make a floating arrow hovering over the set of machines as a direction indicator.

Cimber posted:

Oh, I don't put foundations down because I could not get the foundations to snap to the existing grid. Perhaps they fixed that in the most recent patch?

No, foundations in blueprints don't snap to foundation edges the same way that a normal foundation does. I don't think that's gonna be a reasonable fix either. Think about how a blueprint can have many foundations in it. It wouldn't be feasible to look at all of them for snapping to other foundations.

However, blueprints snap to each other. I have some blueprints that include a foundation floor, and for those I made a 1x4 "starter strip" blueprint. So the procedure to use them would be to place the starter strip into the correct position, and then just snap a row of other blueprints out from there. And if I mess up the starter it's super fast to dismantle and try again.

(Haven't used that one to actually build anything yet, but it works in the creative test world.)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Klyith posted:

I just had an almost-brilliant idea to put signs with arrows / direction indicators in a blueprint, but sadly signs are blank when building a blueprint.

I guess you could use beams to make a floating arrow hovering over the set of machines as a direction indicator.

No, foundations in blueprints don't snap to foundation edges the same way that a normal foundation does. I don't think that's gonna be a reasonable fix either. Think about how a blueprint can have many foundations in it. It wouldn't be feasible to look at all of them for snapping to other foundations.

However, blueprints snap to each other. I have some blueprints that include a foundation floor, and for those I made a 1x4 "starter strip" blueprint. So the procedure to use them would be to place the starter strip into the correct position, and then just snap a row of other blueprints out from there. And if I mess up the starter it's super fast to dismantle and try again.

(Haven't used that one to actually build anything yet, but it works in the creative test world.)

I'm having problems visualizing that. Can you give me a screenshot if its not too much effort?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cimber posted:

I'm having problems visualizing that. Can you give me a screenshot if its not too much effort?

Example with 1x3 dimensions instead of the 1x4 I mentioned before:

Blueprint for assemblers with underfloor belting

Blueprint for the starter strip

Assembler blueprint snaps to starter strip. (Blueprints have a "blueprint" build mode that does auto-snapping to other BPs.)

Remove starter strip and snap more.

Another way to do it is to remove the foundations from the machine blueprints. Have the machines hovering in the air, fill foundations in later. That kinda works better with machines that don't have even ratio dimensions with foundations. Like, 3 assemblers is 30m and foundations can't evenly match that. Also if you want to use different foundations types in different factories -- it's faster to zoop in new foundations than change materials with the customizer.

The main thing that I invented this scheme for is a bottom-fed refinery setup. It's quite clever. But I kinda don't want to show that off, because underfloor pipes often cause flow problems for people who don't know the fluid system. This should be a pretty big hint as to how it might be done though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Does the game continue to recognize blueprinted sections as such long after the fact? Like, could you come back to your example many hours later and plunk down more and have them snap like that? Or do they all have to be built in one build gun... "session", I guess?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fender Anarchist posted:

Does the game continue to recognize blueprinted sections as such long after the fact? Like, could you come back to your example many hours later and plunk down more and have them snap like that? Or do they all have to be built in one build gun... "session", I guess?

Yes afaik. It definitely persists through a save/load. I think there's some sort of invisible blueprint object that gets made along with the actual stuff in the blueprint.

Let's say you have a basic 4x4 foundation blueprint. You can put that down, and snap other blueprints onto it. If you delete all but one of those foundation blocks, other blueprints will still snap to the edges of the original 4x4 size box. Only when you delete the last item from the whole set does the blueprint box go away.

This means that if you're using blueprint snapping as a tool there's some stuff you can't do, like delete half of it and snap to that edge. Good strategies to manage that are having more blueprints that are smaller portions.

So like I have a blueprint with 6 assemblers like this:

Klyith posted:

First stab at a design for a blueprintable assembler manifold:

but also a blueprint with just the middle pair, so that when I need 8 assemblers I can do 6+2 rather than 6+6 and then deleting. (Partly for the snapping, but also because unbuilding takes more time.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Is there a mod that does something like make the hub generators give free power? I want something to speed up the early game but not remove it completely. A small, fixed amount of free power seems nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

Is there a mod that does something like make the hub generators give free power? I want something to speed up the early game but not remove it completely. A small, fixed amount of free power seems nice.

There’s a mod for wind power and other later updates like geothermal and a belt fed biomass burner

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Stab posted:

You could go to the satisfactory-calculator map and upload your save. Add like 10 or 20 stacks of biofuel logs to your inventory or a storage box somewhere.

A bioburner with a stack of logs lasts an hour, and you really don't need more than like 5 or 6 burners to get you to the next tier where you can get coal power.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I did a water tower for my first coal set up. The water pressure is much more even downstream. Thanks whoever posted that way back

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Klyith posted:

Example with 1x3 dimensions instead of the 1x4 I mentioned before:
{snipped}

Thanks very much for those tips, that really helped and I'm able to use blueprints a lot easier now.

So easy now that I just got done with the 'big teardown', shoved all my poo poo into containers and am totally redoing my bases much nicer and more organized.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Cimber posted:

So easy now that I just got done with the 'big teardown', shoved all my poo poo into containers and am totally redoing my bases much nicer and more organized.

This is the way.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Step 1: So you have spaghetti
Step 2: Tear it all down! Build right! Proper spacing, calculated workflow, and properly organized design will make this new factory permanent!
Step 3: Hrmm, that's a problem. I guess I could just add a splitter here...
Step 4: So you have spaghetti

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mailer posted:

Step 1: So you have spaghetti
Step 2: Tear it all down! Build right! Proper spacing, calculated workflow, and properly organized design will make this new factory permanent!
Step 3: Hrmm, that's a problem. I guess I could just add a splitter here...
Step 4: So you have spaghetti

I'm doing a small, modular factory setup. Buildings making one or two things only, then carting via train and truck to a central warehouse. No mega factories, those get messy quickly. Progammable splitters will make my life a lot easier.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How spaced out do you need to be to avoid most of the fps issues with mega bases

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

euphronius posted:

How spaced out do you need to be to avoid most of the fps issues with mega bases

Not super far. Even if you can still see a factory off in the distance, it gets dropped to static low-LOD models that are not a problem. Most of the bad performance in a megafactory is from all the moving & animating things.

OTOH if you have two really big factories spaced juuuust far enough apart then it's a bad time anywhere between them when they're both loaded, I guess.

I dunno though. I don't really have hard data, just rules of thumb. I had some places in my old save where I had a small factory within 6-700 meters of a medium-ish one and it never seemed bad. So like, two or three smaller factories in a big biome like dune desert or grass fields is probably fine. But if you're gonna build a really big factory give it more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you . I wonder if altitude helps too.