Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Well nobody ever said cloth was single purpose.

They're like diapers. Much more sustainable to go with cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

ah, i see we've found the tankie pamps once more

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I assume that footwraps are more stable in your boot than socks, there's a lot more friction to hold it in place. Harder to put on but soldiers get taught a lot of tedious poo poo that they have to do all the time, I'm sure footwraps is easy enough compared to making beds and cleaning guns or whatever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What, you don't like dogs?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

and they’ve been out of ammo this entire time and have lost every battle. The fact that Ukraine hasn’t locked this up is, frankly, shameful

putin is throwing but zelensky is too much of a noob to press his advantage, smh

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
everybody knows that orcs rely entirely on plunder for resupply so they take massive penalties when forced on the defensive, big z clearly needs to read up on the meta

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ukraine launches its space program to bolster morale and industry

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PiratePrentice posted:

I assume that footwraps are more stable in your boot than socks, there's a lot more friction to hold it in place. Harder to put on but soldiers get taught a lot of tedious poo poo that they have to do all the time, I'm sure footwraps is easy enough compared to making beds and cleaning guns or whatever.

footwraps own when you hike long distances wearing boots

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Tankie foot wraps are especially poopy today, as to be expected

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FreeSyrianMemes/status/1595925582872707072?t=jlndWnaiySkWavueRHgAjQ&s=19

NAFO moving on up to wanting to genocide the Kurds

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://dnyuz.com/2022/11/25/artillery-is-breaking-in-ukraine-its-becoming-a-problem-for-the-pentagon/

quote:

A third of the roughly 350 Western-made howitzers donated to Kyiv are out of action at any given time, according to U.S. defense officials and others familiar with Ukraine’s defense needs.

That seems like terrible reliability.

quote:

Currently, Ukrainian forces are firing 2,000 to 4,000 artillery shells a day, a number frequently outmatched by the Russians. Over time, that pace has caused problems for Ukrainian soldiers using M777 howitzers, such as shells not traveling as far or as accurately.

I recall Ukrainian forces were firing 5,000 or 6,000 shells a day with the old Soviet artillery before they ran out of 152mm shells. The fall off could be for other reasons of course.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

For an example, I very much enjoy Dutch cabaret, which is very similar but not exactly the same as Anglo stand up comedy. I've sat in my home towns packed theater listening to a comedian go into great detail on how exactly our government sucks, fucks us over and lies about it to standing ovations and cheers of thousands of adults more times than I can remember. Then when the next elections roll around, I am one of a literal handful who votes for meaningful change. So many discussions with people grumbling about politics and politicians, yet when it comes down to it, none of them mean a word of it. It still breaks my brain sometimes.

the last Dutch general election had a 78% turnout. the people in the audience cheering about politics being a corrupt joke are the 22% of people who also don't vote because they know it's a waste of their time

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rutibex posted:

the last Dutch general election had a 78% turnout. the people in the audience cheering about politics being a corrupt joke are the 22% of people who also don't vote because they know it's a waste of their time

I wish this were true.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just want to make it clear I am not telling anyone to key any cars, it is a bad idea and people don't deserve it.

lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OhFunny posted:

https://dnyuz.com/2022/11/25/artillery-is-breaking-in-ukraine-its-becoming-a-problem-for-the-pentagon/

I recall Ukrainian forces were firing 5,000 or 6,000 shells a day with the old Soviet artillery before they ran out of 152mm shells. The fall off could be for other reasons of course.

idk 60-70% availability after months of hard fighting with a weird hodgepodge of systems and not a lot of institutional knowledge of them seems ok to me

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just want to make it clear I am not telling anyone to key any cars, it is a bad idea and people don't deserve it.

thank you

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1596475943606013953

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

wololo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

idk 60-70% availability after months of hard fighting with a weird hodgepodge of systems and not a lot of institutional knowledge of them seems ok to me

That is with what seems most of the Western MIC actively backing them, and 2,000-4,000 shells a day isn't much at all. What FF was saying back during the summer seems to still be holding. The Ukrainian army wasn't going to fold like a piece of paper, but at the same time, I think Westerners massively underestimated how much damage artillery was doing to the Ukrainians.

The issue with the Russians doesn't seem like they are being bested by Western systems in an absolute sense (although the bridges around Kherson were a weak point) but there doesn't seem to be a coherent strategy or the political will to make it happen. The Russians could be out-trading in artillery but it comes "so what" if they can't come in with infantry and the Ukrainians are slowly replenish their forces with conscripts or milita.

The infrastructure damage is more telling but again I don't think it will cause the Ukrainian army to collapse.

Nevermind the war is won!

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:59 on Nov 26, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Uh Tver should be independent

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Uh Tver should be independent

I got to admit Tver was one of my least favorite of the pre-Muscovy cities around Moscow. It's no Vladimir or Yaroslavl.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there still Novgorod stans out there

There's gotta be

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there still Novgorod stans out there

There's gotta be

Lame national ideas though

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1596477204963250179

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1596483278726463490

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
bruh.. friend went back to siberia to be with her family and is coming back to europe sharing videos about how antiwar protestors are changing their minds and actually we should liberate donbass :cry:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

bruh.. friend went back to siberia to be with her family and is coming back to europe sharing videos about how antiwar protestors are changing their minds and actually we should liberate donbass :cry:

Which side is doing the liberating this time?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Which side is doing the liberating this time?

the russian, the video was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OysQ7yQl_o

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Interesting video, I can't find the original but this seems to be a relevant clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZP_RzT2Dk
Much of it is old ground for this thread but they propose that America's hold on Europe may be weakening from the war and they cite a French paper for it.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Interesting video, I can't find the original but this seems to be a relevant clip
Much of it is old ground for this thread but they propose that America's hold on Europe may be weakening from the war and they cite a French paper for it.

Germany trying to replace UK as the stooge of USA is new. I didn't hear that one yet.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

been saying this

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is our business, and has been for two centuries

speng31b
May 8, 2010

at least saying they want Russia to "pay" for soviet era failures is being a little more honest

Al Jazeera posted:

Russia “will pay” for a Soviet-era famine known as Holodomor (“death by hunger”) that killed millions of Ukrainians during the winter of 1932-33, including for its actions now in Ukraine, the head of Ukraine’s presidential administration said on Saturday.

“The Russians will pay for all of the victims of the Holodomor and answer for today’s crimes,” Andriy Yermak wrote on Telegram.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

at least saying they want Russia to "pay" for soviet era failures is being a little more honest

Quote from nuked country: "What are they gonna do, nuke us?"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

OhFunny posted:

10-20 shells a day per piece doesn't seem like a lot.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

Finally time to make the Russians pay for a famine in the 1930s in which many Russians also died.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've had to wipe my butt with a sock while out in the woods, a footwrap seems like a good in-between there.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I assume the whole thing with foot wraps coming back is that they are quicker to dry and likely better to address trench foot which is likely going to be a real issue for then next 6-7 months.

There isn’t a shortage of socks in Russia from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Finally time to make the Russians pay for a famine in the 1930s in which many Russians also died.

They died thinking very racist things against Ukrainians, though.