Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't get it. I understand that you're doing the really short, almost schwa sound on the 'man' part, making it sound like 'min', but does that mean anything? Sorry for asking for this joke to be utterly deconstructed :ohdear:

I JUST WANNA LAUGH, DAMMIT.
A batman is an old British word for a gentleman's valet (which is pretty much a butler), it's pronounced slightly differently than Batman

E: in this context 'valet' is pronounced with a hard t (vallett) and not 'vallay'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAG8K31ldZc

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't get it. I understand that you're doing the really short, almost schwa sound on the 'man' part, making it sound like 'min', but does that mean anything? Sorry for asking for this joke to be utterly deconstructed :ohdear:

I JUST WANNA LAUGH, DAMMIT.

Batman pronounced that way means an officer's servant. So Alfred is Batman's batman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was reminded of one from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

When Brett is given advice by Mike Damon on his upcoming date, Mike tells him the most important thing is to "put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV"

We cut to Brett in the car and he's playing "Kashmir" which is from a different Zeppelin album. Pretty sure "that's the joke" but unless you know Led Zepplein's catalog it would fly over your head.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
In the Shawshank Redemption novella, Red mentions how prison movie escapes always have this loud wailing horn go off for no reason, but that is not how it is in real life:

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption posted:

In all the prison movies I've seen, this wailing horn goes off when there's been
a break. That never happens at Shawshank. The first thing Gonyar did was to get
in touch with the warden. The second thing was to get a search of the prison
going. The third was to alert the state police in Scarborough to the possibility
of a breakout.

In the movie, a wailing horn goes off in the background when Andy's escape is discovered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQSmfzfg2MY&t=66s

I don't know if this was a deliberate joke, or if the filmmakers were just falling back on those same old prison movie clichés, but I like it nonetheless.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BiggerBoat posted:

I was reminded of one from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

When Brett is given advice by Mike Damon on his upcoming date, Mike tells him the most important thing is to "put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV"

We cut to Brett in the car and he's playing "Kashmir" which is from a different Zeppelin album. Pretty sure "that's the joke" but unless you know Led Zepplein's catalog it would fly over your head.

I have always liked that too and hope it was intentional

Like Rat didn’t have Led Zeppelin 4 but had or borrowed a tape of Physical Graffiti and thought it was close enough

Also Damone says “And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.” But Mark plays it in the car after picking her up on the way to the restaurant when making out is unlikely

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in die hard 2, terrorists hack into an airport system and the tower puts out a "yall stick to a holding pattern" to all the flights, at least 5 passenger flights just circling waiting for the terrorist situation to blow over instead of getting the gently caress out and landing at idk ohare or denver or whatever

anyway the subtle part is thts how you can tell its before 2001

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Nov 12, 2022

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Carthag Tuek posted:

in die hard 2, terrorists hack into an airport system and the tower puts out a "yall stick to a holding pattern" to all the flights, at least 5 passenger flights just circling waiting for the terrorist situation to blow over instead of getting the gently caress out and landing at idk ohare or denver or whatever
I thought there was dialogue in the movie that explained that all of the other local airports are iced over (or whatever) and are sending all their planes to Dulles?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The storm was loving up the entire Eastern seaboard so IIRC the other airports were in a rough spot too.

Then again those other airports aren't having a terrorist crisis either so :shrug:.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a visual trope of a conspiracist drawing connections bulletin board with red yarn.

You've seen it before. It's an effective visual shorthand drawing connections between faces, names, places, etc.
Just google 'conspiracy board' for a lot more images like this.

But how does the greatest detective of all time, Sherlock Holmes, visualize his investigations in the second Enola Holmes movie?

With multiple colors of string of string, of course. His mind operates on multiple wavelengths.

Made me :lol:

Enola Holmes on Netflix is tons of fun, btw.

Apologies for the poor image quality, I've given up trying to get screen caps of streaming services.

Also, if anyone knows where this trope comes from, I'd LOVE to know. Somebody had to be the first.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

deoju posted:

Apologies for the poor image quality, I've given up trying to get screen caps of streaming services.

Use firefox. Last time I needed a screen cap that's how I did it.

I have also done a remote desktop and screen capped from that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

CainFortea posted:

Use firefox. Last time I needed a screen cap that's how I did it.

I have also done a remote desktop and screen capped from that.

Just turn off hardware acceleration in the Chrome settings and you can screenshot and record to your heart's content.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

one of my favorite things in terminator is the police chief chewing gum and drinking coffee at the same time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

anyway the subtle part is thts how you can tell its before 2001

They diverted all the planes that could divert, the reamining ones didnt have enough fuel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tunicate posted:

They diverted all the planes that could divert, the reamining ones didnt have enough fuel.

did you check or are you just parroting whatever cockamamie bullcrap sipowicz told ya

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tunicate posted:

I remember them saying something to that effect, but weren't some of those planes doing laps for several hours? They could have diverted to Atlanta in that time. Reagan is only 30 minutes away by car, you could probably glide that far.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cat Hatter posted:

I remember them saying something to that effect, but weren't some of those planes doing laps for several hours? They could have diverted to Atlanta in that time. Reagan is only 30 minutes away by car, you could probably glide that far.

its definitely several hours yeah

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Carthag Tuek posted:

one of my favorite things in terminator is the police chief chewing gum and drinking coffee at the same time

...ew.
Who's the real inhuman horror here?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tree Bucket posted:

...ew.
Who's the real inhuman horror here?

The guy who screwed his Afghan hound then set it on fire.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jedit posted:

Can't really argue with that

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Carthag Tuek posted:

I like where the chief asks Lance Henriksen for smokes only to realize he has a lit cigarette in his other hand

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jedit posted:

....what

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

It’s a line from the movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not really a movie thing but a subtle TV thing I like is that in Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc, the villains are basically versions of modern Mystery Inc but with their flaws blown completely out of proportion - the stoner looks like the kind of person who HAS lived on junk food his entire life, being a fat, greasy, disgusting mess, the charming couple that are the Fred and Daphne analogs are charming but in a sociopathic way where their charm is insincere and they are basically human traps who lure you in seeming nice before stabbing you in the back, and the genius has become so duplicitous and paranoid with her redundancies that even when she's trying to genuinely do good no one trusts her.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

Detective Hal Vukovich: [in a room inside the police station] That guy Silberman cracks me up. Last week, he had this guy in here that burned his Afghan. He screwed it first and then he set it on fire...
Lieutenant Ed Traxler: [leaning forward] Hey, shut up.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Tár has ghosts in it/someone in her apartment in the background of several scenes.

https://imgur.com/a/cbeOCrM

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

They were getting planes in Dulles International Airport that were diverted all the way from Nashville. We can probably assume that all the closer airports those planes could have diverted to were iced over as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

heckyeahpathy posted:

Tár has ghosts in it/someone in her apartment in the background of several scenes.

https://imgur.com/a/cbeOCrM

Reminds me of the UK special live presentation GhostWatch which had live 'security footage' of a haunted house which occasionally had ghostly figures in the background, but to really gently caress with the viewers when they 'replayed' the footage the ghosts weren't in the shot any more.
Here's a Charlie Brooker segment about it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't the british media trick someone into thinking they died. What is wrong with them

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reminds me of the UK special live presentation GhostWatch which had live 'security footage' of a haunted house which occasionally had ghostly figures in the background, but to really gently caress with the viewers when they 'replayed' the footage the ghosts weren't in the shot any more.

Now I'm remembering when Nine Inch Nails performs Survivalism live they try to mimic their music video by showing "security footage" from the venue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsRt_1l740

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09Ea2uLVXw

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can we do TV shows here? I'll go ahead:

In the first scene of the pilot episode of Invincible, two security guards talk about how the super-human self-defence classes that they are made to attend are a waste of time since all they teach is Duck and Roll.

In the penultimate episode, Donald faces off against Omni-Man, evading his attacks with totally badass dodge rolls, keeping him distracted long enough for everyone else to escape:
https://youtu.be/ZJnGYTNRr6Q?t=76
Those classes exist for a reason!

I also love how one security guard is One Day From Retirement, yet keeps showing up and surviving all sorts of crazy poo poo.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Nov 20, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Beastie posted:

I like where the chief asks Lance Henriksen for smokes only to realize he has a lit cigarette in his other hand

hell yeah lol

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Combining the recent conversations about aviation and Terminators, have you ever noticed the detail in Terminator 2 during the helicopter chase where the T-1000 has a third arm piloting the helicopter so he can use two hands to reload his gun? Yes? Well you are an unobservant moron who doesn't know how helicopters work.

...and I was right there with you until recently when I realized "wait, helicopters need two hands to operate. One on the flight stick and a second working the collective, the lever next to the seat that controls the helicopter's height" Well, sure enough, the T-1000 has four arms, but one of them isn't moving much and partially obscured by the frame doing a task most people don't know exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQH7wnwBxYw&t=117s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually makes sense even if you've controlled a helicopter in a video game or even a remote control drone; for most examples there's exactly two controls at a time, one controlling the tilt of the vehicle that adjusts your direction of travel, and another controlling the speed of the rotors that affects how fast you go and whether you go up or down.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Combining the recent conversations about aviation and Terminators, have you ever noticed the detail in Terminator 2 during the helicopter chase where the T-1000 has a third arm piloting the helicopter so he can use two hands to reload his gun? Yes? Well you are an unobservant moron who doesn't know how helicopters work.

...and I was right there with you until recently when I realized "wait, helicopters need two hands to operate. One on the flight stick and a second working the collective, the lever next to the seat that controls the helicopter's height" Well, sure enough, the T-1000 has four arms, but one of them isn't moving much and partially obscured by the frame doing a task most people don't know exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQH7wnwBxYw&t=117s

Cameron is good with details like that.

OBsubtle: In that clip, I’m pretty sure the start og the sound effect they use for the truck braking is a foley guy screaming ‘NREEEEEE’ before mixing in more realistic screeching effects.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is re the accountant

govt agent is trying to dig out some details from a muddled recording, but all she has is a piece of poo poo thinkpad where doing a slide on the trackpad just doesnt work & she ends up using a regular stereo

but: it makes sense that her computer is a garbage thinkpad because she works in government!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ghostwatch loving owns btw.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MacheteZombie posted:

Ghostwatch loving owns btw.

You can see the baddie standing in full view in the crowd shots here and there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't the british have a show where they tricked someone into thinking they were dead

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't the british have a show where they tricked someone into thinking they were dead

It was called Wishful Thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ghostwatch was clearly presented as fiction, after 9pm, which is the time UK TV is legally not for kids.

They announced very clearly it was fiction at the start, they put a "Screen One" ident at the start so people knew it was a BBC movie, and the credits included a writers credit.

Despite this the BBC received 30,000 complaints and an 18 year old man, who had learning difficulties and a mental age of about 13, killed himself a few days after it aired because (it is alleged) his house had faulty heating, as the Ghost in the show made noises in the pipes. His suicide note was interpreted as a reference to the show: "if there are ghosts I will be ... with you always as a ghost".

It has been released on DVD and on Blu-ray, but it's never been re-aired in the UK.

It's easy to find on Youtube.

I saw it at the time and was terrified, it's a very effective horror film. It's use of friendly well-known faces who are mostly known for live TV presenters playing themselves, and filming it as if it were actually live, made it feel overwhelmingly real.

So real in fact, some people could miss the first minute or so and completely think it's real.

BooDooBoo has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Nov 26, 2022