Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well it could be a hate crime or criminal syndicate related. You can't tell from that vague as hell police press.

hmm well I just got persona 5 and based on my understanding of the Japanese criminal Justice system he's probably living in an attic above a coffee shop and the cops just assume someone has him in custody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Taiwan president resigns as party leader after election loss

The KMT has won big in Taiwan's local elections. Tsai Ing-wen has resigned as head of the DPP in response.

Voters more interested in local issues in these local elections than about threats from the mainland.

Voters also voted against lowering the voting age from 20 to 18 in a referendum.

didn't she step down before like 2 or 3 times

edit: in 2012 and 2018 for sure

maybe stop letting her step up?

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Nov 26, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm not the step-leader, i'm the leader who stepped up

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This thread, like most western observers of Taiwanese politics, obsesses over the grand geopolitical aspects of the green/blue dichotomy but ultimately a lot of that are just theoretical and rhetorical constructs that take a back seat to local concerns. It’s a little like Irish politics, I’d imagine. The parties’ stances on sweeping foreign challenges are often just idpol.

Throatwarbler posted:

they've been saying the same thing about every TW president since ah bian. Every DPP leader is a separatist mastermind playing 6d chess to start world war 3 until they retire/are forced out due to petty corruption because they're ultimately just venal parochial politicians with no bigger ideological agenda beyond enriching themselves.

Guess that makes it a little like South Korean politics, too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Soon China will fall!
https://twitter.com/whyyoutouzhele/status/1596573231787507713?t=bP2e39h0rVu8kT5wPKBnbA&s=19
https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1596613907694624769?t=H0tPoFJcyHD6rpIWfHWRXQ&s=19

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Looks like there's big protests in Xinjiang too.

https://twitter.com/whyyoutouzhele/status/1596475193631047681

sad that the West are going to exploit this for their own gains. compare and contrast this to the response in the UK to the Grenfell Tower fire, nobody protested this hard over such a catastrophic loss of life.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What are the protests about?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

What are the protests about?

covid lockdown

edit: a locked down apartment building in Xinjiang (lol) had a fire and there were too many cars parked for the fire truck to effectively do anything, couldn't get close, and I heard 10 people died. The video was massively shared and now people are protesting, mostly college age, and of course it becomes about human rights and criticizing the party for western observers

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Nov 26, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the protests in Zhengzhou are also sparked by covid lockdown and mismanagement by the taiwanese company. yes its taiwanese, and they didn't isolate the new hires to replace those who quit after their previous lockdown

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

i say swears online posted:

i'm not the step-leader, i'm the leader who stepped up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's been some other stuff brewing like a dad couldn't get his 4 year old kid medical care because of covid rules and she died and so there's a lot of momentum now

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Chinese people are raised to work together and see their neighbor as themselves so a big protest won't be some piddly slogan holding event that half the country mocks like in Taiwan or USA. Chinese actually believe they can change things and the government will have to figure something out

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1596595542829981696
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1596598343811338241
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1596606818301931521
https://twitter.com/xinjiangalex/status/1596171542756753409

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Lol I like how in the second video when they're doing the call and response "CPC!" "Step down!" "Xi Jinping!" "Step down!" at 0:16 the caller says some other guy's name and all the responders are like, "Who?"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Maximo Roboto posted:

This thread, like most western observers of Taiwanese politics, obsesses over the grand geopolitical aspects of the green/blue dichotomy but ultimately a lot of that are just theoretical and rhetorical constructs that take a back seat to local concerns. It’s a little like Irish politics, I’d imagine. The parties’ stances on sweeping foreign challenges are often just idpol.

Election is pretty simple: economy went into toilet this year with inflation. DPP blamed, some people also upset about the speed of reopening (some complain too fast when cases went way up in the spring, and yes a small minority about it not being fast enough and hurting the economy) but inflating is def first. hundreds of news stories about restaurants raising prices, people lining up for cheap eggs, "this place has sold this bowl of noodles for 50 NT for twenty years and now it's going up to 65!" stuff.

If this election happened a year ago, after the gov successfully stopped an alpha covid outbreak around the island and inflation was still low, it would be a different story, but well, this year is not last year

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

GoutPatrol posted:

Election is pretty simple: economy went into toilet this year with inflation. DPP blamed, some people also upset about the speed of reopening (some complain too fast when cases went way up in the spring, and yes a small minority about it not being fast enough and hurting the economy) but inflating is def first. hundreds of news stories about restaurants raising prices, people lining up for cheap eggs, "this place has sold this bowl of noodles for 50 NT for twenty years and now it's going up to 65!" stuff.

If this election happened a year ago, after the gov successfully stopped an alpha covid outbreak around the island and inflation was still low, it would be a different story, but well, this year is not last year

don’t post here

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress off

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what's wrong with that post/poster

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also sick when your national anthem/internationale become the go to protest songs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Funny, cuz inflation in mainland china was less than 2%

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hmm smells like Western Intelligence

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Olongapo City still has a generation of abandoned children fathered by US sailors and other servicemen coming from Subic Naval Base

south korea has these too and while theyre at least acknowledged in english language discourse its only ever in the context of calling south korean culture sexist and racist for not treating them and their mothers better

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Hmm smells like Western Intelligence

Seems like Shanghai is the most lib city after Hong Kong

https://twitter.com/purefriendship_/status/1596614739580583936

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Seems like Shanghai is the most lib city after Hong Kong

https://twitter.com/purefriendship_/status/1596614739580583936

Oh so this affluent people complaing about them not being able to have fun with the justifying it with a horrific deaths that could have maybe been avoided with alternate side of the street parking.

I'd say sure deport them all to the US to see what free balling COVID is like, but theres enough anticommunist sentiment in America we don't really neee more of it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Oh so this affluent people complaing about them not being able to have fun with the justifying it with a horrific deaths that could have maybe been avoided with alternate side of the street parking.

yah its Shanghai, he already said that

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

where chinese communism was founded and where it will die

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Antonymous posted:

what's wrong with that post/poster

they have power over the d&d racism China thread and haven’t nuked it and permad the posters

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress you get out of here

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
drat how would xi survive a protest of 0.01% of the local populace

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

don't get mad, vote!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mantis42 posted:

don't get mad, vote!!

you can just vote consequences of capitalism away
-very smart people

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It is nice to see a protest not getting their heads bashed in.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Antonymous posted:

covid lockdown

edit: a locked down apartment building in Xinjiang (lol) had a fire and there were too many cars parked for the fire truck to effectively do anything, couldn't get close, and I heard 10 people died. The video was massively shared and now people are protesting, mostly college age, and of course it becomes about human rights and criticizing the party for western observers

lol orders of magnitude more people will die from the premature end of lockdown than died in the fire

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

A Spherical Sponge posted:

lol orders of magnitude more people will die from the premature end of lockdown than died in the fire

go post it on weibo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A Spherical Sponge posted:

those people will be old and/or fat and/or disabled they dont count

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who lives in china until very recently, and very pro lockdown (and locked down myself for a combined 21 days + a month of nothing being open in my city), I think covid 0 is over. People are pissed. It's the worst of both worlds, constant lockdowns and it's still ravaging the population. Destroying the economy. Thousands of people will die unnecessarily (way more than that fire) but china will follow the rest of the world. Omicron makes covid 0 impossible. It worked with alpha and delta, but omicron is just too much.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/koreanforeigner/status/1596664458625306625

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Mirello posted:

As someone who lives in china until very recently, and very pro lockdown (and locked down myself for a combined 21 days + a month of nothing being open in my city), I think covid 0 is over. People are pissed. It's the worst of both worlds, constant lockdowns and it's still ravaging the population. Destroying the economy. Thousands of people will die unnecessarily (way more than that fire) but china will follow the rest of the world. Omicron makes covid 0 impossible. It worked with alpha and delta, but omicron is just too much.

yeah, public compliance + the state's capacity to contain it can only last so long

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

It's maddening the government hasn't mandated N95/KN94 masks and better air filtering. It's such a cheap solution and it's already been figured out. Surgical and cloth masks should just be phased out entirely. You don't have to choose between the economy and health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are some legitimate and overdue criticisms of the implementation and methodology for pursuing covid zero, but it's been buried by the fact that everyone wants them to drop it completely, not make it better