Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You are thinking of storytelling. There’s a difference.

See yesterday I posted in this thread, at night, while working.

That is a story. It’s recounted events.

How I tell it is storytelling and that’s the actual craft with all the ups and downs and techniques and tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Mazerunner posted:

if sports aren't stories on the basis of they are just things that happen, and the story is what we do to them in recounting, sure fine.

but that also applies to literally all of life and existence so it's not worth singling sports out, except when making a joke in which case it's funny.

e; but also defining a story as something that has or can be retconned, shipping, heel turns and backstories, is also p. dumb.

like, a one hundred percent factual retelling of "I went to the grocery today" is still a story. It's a boring story but it is still is one, even with no post-facto massaging or twists or anything. And I mean, not everything that everyone would even agree is a story for sure, has twists and retcons.

If "things that just happen" are stories than literally everything that ever happens has happened or will happen is a story and the term is completely meaningless. It is the dumbest and shallowest loving argument because if your definition of something is that broad your own argument makes it worthless as a descriptor in the first place.

Edit: look no further than the post above me for the exact navel gazing meaningless pedantry I am talking about. Jesus Christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You're all putting a lot of legitimacy on the idea of a story when it's really not that complicated or special. You're all really thinking of fiction, or writing, or storytelling as an art form. Not the very basic idea of a story, which it's official definition is just

an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
"an adventure story"

Like that's it. THAT'S IT! If I talked about the process of how cheese was made, thats a story. If a news report tells what happened last night, thats a story (lol they call it "our top story ffs).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No drama? In sports?!

That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard in my life.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's a funny joke that the show explicitly states to not think about

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I havent seen the episode, I'm more on the people who think stories are this important and very legitimate thing instead of everything from a Scorsese Picture to a person telling you their dream.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had fun with the episode, as a standalone thing. Some of the characters made me laugh.

With that said, this show's obsession with wanting not to be taken seriously has become its main gimmick and is as exhausting as is childish, but I must congratulate it that by shouting "I'm not pretentious" it has done a 360 to pretentious all the way back to being just banal.

That's all I can think about it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah they should really do some more season 1 type adventures.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They always had.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mister Speaker posted:

Is the nightly news a story?

Are game shows a story?

Mister Speaker posted:

Is an instrumental piece of music a story?

Is a fine, aged cheese a story?

No, no, yes, yes, yes.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So stories are only stories if they're fake? Nothing that happens in real life counts as a story because it wasn't planned?
Things that happen in real life aren't stories. They're things we tell stories about. Life does not have a narrative. It is crazy to me that some of y'all do not understand this. Unless you're religious and your faith believes in a creator who has authored events to go the way they are going. In that case, yes, life is a story. But in general, no, real life if not a story.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
for the record, I don't really think the show is trying to do all these things people are saying it tries to do, the show really didn't change that much from day one, it's always been crazy zany sci fi concept of the week paired with a bunch of character drama, it's really what the show has been from the start and it's pretty much how the show describes itself on several occasions, people make a bigger fuss about the show doing or not doing canonical stories than the show does, like we had the original story train episode showing an alternative take on the culmination of the birdperson saga laughing at the whole notion that this is even interesting but then we had a proper episode full of actual birdperson and rick lore paired with epic music and actual drama, the show has no problem doing both, and it never had.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adder Moray posted:

Things that happen in real life aren't stories.

:dafuq:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Is Sports Story" - the worst thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait hang on, I got this: Stories are sports.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait hang on, I got this: Stories are sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MpyHBoiTwk

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

You are such a desperate pedantic weirdo lol

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
"An account of..."

Adder Moray posted:

Things that happen in real life aren't stories. They're things we tell stories about.
If you're going to try to look like the smartest person in the room you should probably work on your basic literacy first.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Now reality itself doesn't have stories?!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
To teach all these nerds that stories are sports simply punt their fuckin' books through the giant fork thing at the end of the touchdown turf.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How about them smash cut grenades?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

kas posted:

If "things that just happen" are stories than literally everything that ever happens has happened or will happen is a story and the term is completely meaningless. It is the dumbest and shallowest loving argument because if your definition of something is that broad your own argument makes it worthless as a descriptor in the first place.

Edit: look no further than the post above me for the exact navel gazing meaningless pedantry I am talking about. Jesus Christ.

uh yeah exactly dude.

if sports aren't stories, neither is anything else just from life. That's what I said. History, crime, news. None of it. Sports aren't uniquely special as 'the opposite of stories'. But it's still a funny joke to say they are.

But 'story' is just a retelling. You don't have to tell massage the events to make them more dramatic. They don't have to include twists, or retcons, or sudden dramatic reveals of tragic backstories, etc. like some were claiming earlier.

You probably should, to tell an interesting story, but you don't have to.

ps. all the posts about posting are the opposite of story

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

white men can’t jump is a story

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kas posted:

You are such a desperate pedantic weirdo lol
That’s a story!

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

CelticPredator posted:

That’s a story!

Harsh but fair.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The real story was the sports we made along the way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Lotta posts in this thread for a Sunday afternoon, did the episode leak early or something?

Oh.

Ooohhhhh :smith:

I think the real point people are confusing is story vs events. In Harmonspeak a Story or Drama is something that someone sat down and wrote, giving some thought to structure and rising/falling action etc etc. We tell stories about sports after the fact, but as they're happening they're just events. Unless you believe the fix is in and all sports are being puppetmaster'd to maximize viewer engagement and advertisement revenue, in which case well you're probably not wrong...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t agree with Harmon I guess and I do think that a story doesn’t need to be sat down and written. It’s just a retelling of something.

I’ll agree that you going to the store isn’t a story as it happens. It can be after the fact.
But I disagree that sports can’t be a story as they happen because despite being live and happening they are framed in such a way that does fit into a narrative. There’s two sides. There’s a goal. There’s stakes. Theres characters and often development in regards to a player being an MVP or whatever. There’s even act breaks if you want to get deep with it.

I ain’t seen the episode I just was shocked at the posts suggesting that these things which are framed in such a very story driven way can’t be stories.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nikumatic posted:

To teach all these nerds that stories are sports simply punt their fuckin' books through the giant fork thing at the end of the touchdown turf.

drat now that’s what I’d call a home run!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

dan harmon sucks and should let other people do the show for him

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The show is good as is imo

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

imo it could use a few more incest jokes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

dan harmon sucks and should let other people do the show for him

i don't want to blow your mind but there are other shows that dan harmon isn't a part of

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

i don't want to blow your mind but there are other shows that dan harmon isn't a part of

*turns on the Quantum Leap reboot*

nahhhhhhhhhhh

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CelticPredator posted:

I just don’t agree with Harmon I guess and I do think that a story doesn’t need to be sat down and written. It’s just a retelling of something.

I’ll agree that you going to the store isn’t a story as it happens. It can be after the fact.
But I disagree that sports can’t be a story as they happen because despite being live and happening they are framed in such a way that does fit into a narrative. There’s two sides. There’s a goal. There’s stakes. Theres characters and often development in regards to a player being an MVP or whatever. There’s even act breaks if you want to get deep with it.

I ain’t seen the episode I just was shocked at the posts suggesting that these things which are framed in such a very story driven way can’t be stories.

I said it before but sports are explicitly designed to create a narrative. They're role-playing games, like instead of actually having a war between two sides, where people get shot and killed, you play make-believe, but you still get to have the conflict and the heroes and the tragedies. Dan Harmon fully understands this, see: paintball

It's like Ghost in the Graveyard, the game little kids play. Ghost in the Graveyard is both a sport, but also a social device to create a story, in exactly the same way D&D is, just much simpler. D&D isn't, in itself, a story, but the individual sessions and campaigns are.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 27, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

every writer on rick and morty who isn't dan harmon is tolerable, he personally sucks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I can't believe a jail cell made of sports that keeps in a character called Rhett Con is what finally broke peoples' brains

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Macaluso posted:

I can't believe a jail cell made of sports that keeps in a character called Rhett Con is what finally broke peoples' brains

Um yes, that's it. My brain was fine and sane before that. Absolutely.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's just an improv comedy level gag, what's the opposite of story? sports! huh, that would be a pretty funny bit for someone to pull in this context, the episode even frames it as a throwaway gag.

Replace "sports" with "reality TV" and you get pretty much the same gag, and probably also similar arguments, but I think sports is more concise and funnier. It's just a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
and of course harmon studied improv and the show had multiple improv comedy gags, now I'm tempted to make a third reply cause shitposts always come in threes, quick someone yes and me.