Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m going fo assume this is conspiracy BS until it gets confirmed elsewhere. That guy was a disaster and lost a ton of money, especially with Disney+. Replacing him isn’t a shocker.

Which is kinda ironic as the former CEO wasnt the one who even got Disney+ and most of the train of loss making shows and movies in train, that would be Bob Iger. Who replaced the now sacked CEO

Ups_rail posted:

My friend sent me this

Its midnights edge I dont really like their streams because it just farming outrage and super chats...but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9A9BpeUrpQ&t=4941s

Dude claims the reason for the CEO change out is disney put money into ftx. I was about to turn it off but the guy goes on to say that the biggest investors in ftx can stay anonymous if they want to, which sounds weird.

anyone else hear poo poo like this?

Personally I dont see why disney would invest in a crypto exchange.

Disney almost certainly did not put a cent into Crypto and that idiot is another one of these culture war bro fuckwits without a single "fact" to back up their bullshit. Yeah nah real lotta doubt there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney is one case where having their own service makes sense- they have a shitload of stuff both in active production and their back catalogue, and everyone knows what they're getting with them. This is where you go to get old Disney cartoons (that aren't subject to inexplicable office politics anyway), to get Marvel, to get Star Wars, and other stuff is a nice bonus.

The rest of the splintering just serves to confuse and annoy watchers who have no goddamn idea where to actually find a show at this point, triply so if you're outside the US, and unsurprisingly drove a ton of people right back to piracy. And doesn't help that they do things like fund all these new shows to attract subscribers and then cancel them right as they get popular assuming the subscribers will, I guess forget to turn off autorenew?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This might surprise some but a great amount of income from subscriptions and similar services come from people not ending their sub from either laziness or forgetfulness. I used to work for a company whose business was in asset leasing to other companies, and a huge source of our income was those companies not turning off autorenew on their leases.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I don't know why Disney just doesn't take the check to have their poo poo on Netflix et al. Why even bother spinning up the infrastructure to serve that content. You're going to drown in operating costs and reinvent the infrastructure problem that other companies have already solved.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I don't know why Disney just doesn't take the check to have their poo poo on Netflix et al. Why even bother spinning up the infrastructure to serve that content. You're going to drown in operating costs and reinvent the infrastructure problem that other companies have already solved.

Greed and being incredibly dumb OP.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Greed; they could make more money by Going Bender.

efb on the greed answer.

I guess my two cents is lol at people being lazy/stupid??? with letting monthly expenses keep going. so lazy in fact that there's an app to monitor your monthy expenses and will cancel stuff on your behalf.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 26, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

So like other streaming services like paramount are stupid for not doing this, but Disney legit has the back catalog, production studios, specific demographic -slightly less so with marvel/star wars/fox stuff but still all vague "family friendly" no independent, experimental or foreign films really", and brand recognition to pull it off.

Amazon and apple seem to of got into production less about the streaming and more for something to sell through their stores, so that's a bit of a different model. Seems their more trying to create a home theater model for TV series... which I dunno maybe that could work?
The actually just streaming services part of it seems more like an afterthought.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

SettingSun posted:

This might surprise some but a great amount of income from subscriptions and similar services come from people not ending their sub from either laziness or forgetfulness. I used to work for a company whose business was in asset leasing to other companies, and a huge source of our income was those companies not turning off autorenew on their leases.

I remember hearing back in like 2015 that AOL was still making hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions?) off of their dialup subscriptions, presumably from people who forgot to cancel.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

They got 5 billion in revenue last year lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not understand how they spent 33 billion on Disney+ last year.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

To some extent the issue ran the other way — every year the cost to license top tier content from Disney and subsidiaries like Marvel was going up, and the instant the rental bill wasn’t paid that content would go to the next bidder. It was a brutal trend for Netflix’s overall business.

At a certain point it became cheaper for Netflix to focus entirely on original content that they’d own in perpetuity instead of renting titles that grew more expensive every year.

Having said that, I’m sure Disney executives saw enormous dollar signs at the prospect of directly streaming their most valuable stuff directly to customers, and may not have worked too hard to keep the content relationship going with Netflix.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
33 billion dollars is so much more than the combined budget of every major studio film released last year god drat

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
For comparison it looks like Netflix is on track to spend 18 billion dollars in 2022.

The first Google results mention that Disney’s 33 billion number does include things like sports rights, wide theatrical movie releases and their other networks like ESPN and HULU.

But it’s definitely a shitload of money, no question about it.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

33 billion dollars is so much more than the combined budget of every major studio film released last year god drat

less than bird website tho

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

King Carnivore posted:

less than bird website tho

Twitter has more dark comedy at the moment than Netflix and Disney combined

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m going fo assume this is conspiracy BS until it gets confirmed elsewhere. That guy was a disaster and lost a ton of money, especially with Disney+. Replacing him isn’t a shocker.

...is Disney+ losing Disney a ton of money? I had the impression it was pretty successful, and I'm industry-adjacent there. That may involve losing money starting off, of course, but they've gone from nothing up to basically right up there with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

...is Disney+ losing Disney a ton of money? I had the impression it was pretty successful, and I'm industry-adjacent there. That may involve losing money starting off, of course, but they've gone from nothing up to basically right up there with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Yep. their last earnings call was brutal

quote:

Disney posted adjusted earnings per share of 30 cents for its fiscal fourth quarter ended Oct. 1, below the average estimate of 57 cents

. . .

The earnings shortfall was primarily the result of a wider loss at the Disney+ streaming service, which drove higher spending on original and licensed content. Losses at Disney’s direct-to-consumer segment more than doubled year-over-year to $1.5 billion even as worldwide Disney+ subscriptions grew 39% year-over-year to 164.2 million. Meanwhile, revenue per domestic Disney+ subscriber fell 10% on the same basis, in part because the service didn’t benefit in the latest quarter from premium pay-per-view movie offerings such as Jungle Cruise and Black Widow a year earlier.

That bolded but includes Hulu and I think a few other things but Disney+ was the bulk of it. A cool $1B from another article I read yesterday.

Edit: this is a big part of them raising prices on Disney+ to $10/mo while adding a cheaper tier with ads.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
also seems some tv shows were aired on the disney channel first that way their budget goes to that channel.

I think the best solution for the streaming war would have been for different libraries to pool their content and collect the money let the distributor worry about making money.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Barudak posted:

I do not understand how they spent 33 billion on Disney+ last year.
It’s easy. They didn’t. The entire direct-to-consumer segment had costs of about $23 billion. That includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Another take I've seen repeatedly is that controlling distribution directly allows you to collect all the data about what your users are watching, for how long, etc. in order to inform future production decisions. In the surveillance capitalism era, capitalizing on user data telemetry has basically become table stakes for any public business. $33 billion is a huge amount of money, but maybe they were prevented from swinging and missing on, say, TaleSpin 2099 or live-action Gargoyles. But we do get stuff like Hocus Pocus 2, a sequel that oddly didn't already exist to a movie that is near the peak of its nostalgia wave.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Seems like business people this past decade have decided that "we lose money on every sale but we make it up in volume" is a sound strategy

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ups_rail posted:

also seems some tv shows were aired on the disney channel first that way their budget goes to that channel.

Yeah, the story just broke that Disney's CFO had been calling foul on the way Chapek had been juggling shows--content that was ordered and produced with the intent of airing on Disney+ would be given a rushed TV release so that the budgets could be attributed to the TV segment rather than Disney+. So that $23 billion direct-to-consumer price tag has already been massaged to make it look better than it was.

I do think it's funny that Disney of all companies is lighting money on fire for market share right as the streaming wars turn unprofitable when they could have just tossed up their back catalog, pocketed a bunch of subscription fees, and wait for the bottom to fall out of streaming so they could pick up the pieces.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

istewart posted:

Another take I've seen repeatedly is that controlling distribution directly allows you to collect all the data about what your users are watching, for how long, etc. in order to inform future production decisions. In the surveillance capitalism era, capitalizing on user data telemetry has basically become table stakes for any public business. $33 billion is a huge amount of money, but maybe they were prevented from swinging and missing on, say, TaleSpin 2099 or live-action Gargoyles. But we do get stuff like Hocus Pocus 2, a sequel that oddly didn't already exist to a movie that is near the peak of its nostalgia wave.

I am not an expert and do not sit in the big room, but based on my limited knowledge of how the data sausage for D+ was made, for the people making these decisions the data was an excuse to backup their preconceived notions and not nearly complex enough for what you are describing.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

disney as a whole is still making profit but shareholders expect infinite growth every year

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sorry for the streaming war derail.

But I read an article about the AT&T Time warner failure.

It outlined that warner was run like Switzerland, sell everything to everbody.

ATT wanted to have the upstream of the content they provided they were gonna also collect and guard user data. I also think they looked at how people want short little tik tok videos (remember qubie)

Turns out it was all a gaint cluster gently caress the ATT people didnt know how to run a studio. They are a loving phone company.

I think someone mentioned it here but the content people should go back to a rental model and not do the exclusive poo poo. hulu can pay for friends netflix can pay for friends

gently caress I should be able to open my own streaming service called Rails railing streaming video and have people pay to watch night court when ever they want.

The big 3 networks trying their own streaming thing is also stupid.

Anyway the more I think about the stupider it sounds that ftx had mouse money. because disney legal team as loving bullied terrorist organizations

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I want my Willow TV series.

Then Disney can cut costs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
16 5 the new floor? too high.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you can be a streaming company or you can be a production company but you probably shouldnt try to do both just to make TV shows that will never in a million years make back their cost

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Proud Christian Mom posted:

you can be a streaming company or you can be a production company but you probably shouldnt try to do both just to make TV shows that will never in a million years make back their cost
But the VP learned about vertical integration during his eMBA. Why be at the whims of someone else's capital when you can afford to make it your own?

Ups_rail posted:

sorry for the streaming war derail.

But I read an article about the AT&T Time warner failure.

It outlined that warner was run like Switzerland, sell everything to everbody.

ATT wanted to have the upstream of the content they provided they were gonna also collect and guard user data. I also think they looked at how people want short little tik tok videos (remember qubie)

Turns out it was all a gaint cluster gently caress the ATT people didnt know how to run a studio. They are a loving phone company.

I think someone mentioned it here but the content people should go back to a rental model and not do the exclusive poo poo. hulu can pay for friends netflix can pay for friends

gently caress I should be able to open my own streaming service called Rails railing streaming video and have people pay to watch night court when ever they want.

The big 3 networks trying their own streaming thing is also stupid.

Anyway the more I think about the stupider it sounds that ftx had mouse money. because disney legal team as loving bullied terrorist organizations
There's a data is yearning to be free argument about how absurd it is that whoever owns the rights to Big Butts XXIV, it just gets loaded to a local CDN node that should just be public infrastructure or maybe the ISP has capacity for some even localer cacheing which gets even sillier if now 2 companies have rights to stream it and that CDN ends up with Big Butts XXIV salted with rail's encryption and one with zedprime's encryption clogging up the tubes with 2 instances of the same thing.

I don't understand a single thing about media but distribution is infrastructural and the duplication of infrastructure demanded by capitalist markets in the name of competition is just the stupidest thing I can think of.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don’t even get how streaming is supposed to be making money at all. You have a set subscription, you spend billions of dollars to make shows and maintain the infrastructure and bandwidth. Not mention licensing costs if you aren’t Disney.
Unless you have a giant toy market , I don’t see how this will ever break even unless they’re hoping for some absolute victory, wiping out all streaming competition and then raising the prices exhorbitantly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Disney plus would be free money if it stayed focused on kids instead of also spending a shitton to also make it work for adults because it's just monetizing the poo poo they already have

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t even get how streaming is supposed to be making money at all. You have a set subscription, you spend billions of dollars to make shows and maintain the infrastructure and bandwidth.

Their trying to get to where Netflix is. They had $24.9 billion revenue and $5.1 billion in profit in 2021.
https://www.businessofapps.com/data/netflix-statistics/

Although honestly the math isn't quite working for me as like 220 million subscribes X $10-20 should be in the the $2.2-4.4 billion range, and subscriptions as far as I can tell are pretty much their only revenue, but that seems to be the numbers that are generally given.

It's early, I dunno :shrug:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t even get how streaming is supposed to be making money at all. You have a set subscription, you spend billions of dollars to make shows and maintain the infrastructure and bandwidth. Not mention licensing costs if you aren’t Disney.
Unless you have a giant toy market , I don’t see how this will ever break even unless they’re hoping for some absolute victory, wiping out all streaming competition and then raising the prices exhorbitantly

you just have to exponentially increase the viewership for eternity, simple

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep. their last earnings call was brutal

That bolded but includes Hulu and I think a few other things but Disney+ was the bulk of it. A cool $1B from another article I read yesterday.

Edit: this is a big part of them raising prices on Disney+ to $10/mo while adding a cheaper tier with ads.

I didn't listen to the earnings call, but can't Disney control the profitability of Disney+ by varying the cost of 'licensing their enormous library of video products'? (in the same way that 'Google Australia' used to make sure it was never profitable by paying 'licencing fees' to Google Ireland that just happened to be the same as all their profit).

Or are they literally spending all their revenue and then some licensing non-Disney content?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean people used to pay Disney + levels of money for the premium cable Disney channel which didn't let you pick what to watch but was based on a huge catalog of animated movies kids will watch 150 times repeatedly over the course of a year.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The problem is the infinite growth model plus the idea that "five bucks Jim has is five bucks I don't have". If I license my rights to Netflix, that means that whatever they're paying me is less than what they're taking in, and therefore I'm leaving money on the table; if I open up my own Netflix and reap the subscriber fees myself, I could theoretically get more money.

This is being buffered slightly by the fact that piracy is a pain on anything less than a full computer, and a lot of people have moved to smart devices, phones, tablets, etc. for media consumption.

EDIT: The last line is speculation, I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
piracy has become so easy that people literally post their poo poo for direct download on archive.org, and these are frequently top-listed google results

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Their trying to get to where Netflix is. They had $24.9 billion revenue and $5.1 billion in profit in 2021.
https://www.businessofapps.com/data/netflix-statistics/

Although honestly the math isn't quite working for me as like 220 million subscribes X $10-20 should be in the the $2.2-4.4 billion range, and subscriptions as far as I can tell are pretty much their only revenue, but that seems to be the numbers that are generally given.

It's early, I dunno :shrug:

You forgot the subscription price is per month not per year :v:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

evilweasel posted:

You forgot the subscription price is per month not per year :v:
haha yep, I'm an idiot, 100% did. In my defense had yet to have my morning coffee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I found this tweet in my old screenshot folder. It was comedy then, but it's on another level now.