Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

When all else fails Bocchi brings the rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This show is so wholesome, loved the Kita bits this episode, her Kitaura is too powerful.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Episode felt noticably weaker in animation than the last couple episodes were. A bunch of reused static shots, one of the shots from the Bocchi Time was reused from a previous episode, and the ED was a basic credit scroll. I really hope the decline isn't consistent.

Still a good episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nah, the episode had a great amount of subtle character animation in it, especially during the performamce, the ed was a unique song, it didn't get an ending animation to go with it, but that's fine for a one off song, and let's the animators focus on other parts of the show instead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are the parts where Bocchi is rocking out done in 3d or 2d? The motion of her bouncing around while playing the guitar looked really really smooth for 2d, but I couldn't see anything that looked obviously 3d. I noticed it during the audition in episode 5 too. Either extremely smooth 2d or really well disguised 3d

only even bringing it up because I think the show is consistently really well animated when it counts, between that and the myriad of cool ways they've shown bocchi off in her own world, half of which use live props, including the really cute clay model of Bocchi being moved on the game board this episode

drunk lady is rapidly becoming my fave

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think i read that it's a real performance mocapped to 3D and then animated in 2D on top of that?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The episode also had some quiet moments where you didn't need amazing animation. The whole end conversation with Nijika and Bocchi was a nice subdued scene that didn't need complicated animation

Also really loved the way Nijika figured out Bocchi was Guitarhero. Just a nice subtle moment that wasn't played for a huge laugh but for growth between the 2 characters

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

drat, great song and the visuals go hard for just being one image.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah in the interview posted last page they mention that the performance bits are done with live actors, not sure if the transfer is done with mocap or with some of the rotoscoping techniques that allow for some modification of the models to account for anime proportions. I'm leaning towards the second one, since some of the telltale signs are the very realistic fabric folds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kidcoelacanth posted:

i think i read that it's a real performance mocapped to 3D and then animated in 2D on top of that?

ah, that makes sense. So I had trouble placing exactly what it looked like because it was a technique I wasn't familiar with. Neat!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1596667331987787776?t=xfo8NI22QsfyqEKJE6ehfA&s=19

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

some of the animators have posted their keys on twitter from the live scenes and they are 2d drawings, i think it's mocapped live actors -> 3d models -> traced 2d drawings

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

MoCap to 3D to 2D is possible but it's always possible it's just some good video ref and pure 2D. Whatever they did it really worked. It's a centrepiece sequence for sure.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

This is a good and fun show.
Wonder if Bocchi will tell her online fans about her band now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember when Yamada suggested they should just livestream the show because there was no audience?

Aniplex actually livestreamed the big song at the same time the episode was airing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tc14WHUoMw

:v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The band animation does have that smoothness to it that suggests a bit of rotoscoping/3D model tracing but hell, it still works really well to me.

Also the segue to the two random salarymen in the izakaya was hilarious(ly grim).

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 27, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I started watching this because it sounded like a nice, cozy CGDCT show but man, it's so good. This and Witch from Mercury are like the two shows I look forward to the most each week lol

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

this allusion meant posted:

the one weakness of the show imo is there isn't really any audible hint of being not as good at doing music initially and getting better later (or at least more grown into their own style) the way there is with like euphonium or paripi km. that's not a must tho and it's probably fairly expensive to implement. the animation gags are definitely more important for this series

happy to be wrong on this; they were just saving it for effect. and yeah, what a powerful vibe shift they managed to work out of it, considering all logic pointed toward exactly what was going to happen beforehand

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's really incredible to me how much this show elevates the original material, this is the entirety of that scene in the 4koma

it's not bad by any stretch, but they've done such a good job bringing a music manga to life. which is hard to do!!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

true but credit to the original 4koma because that sudden shift in the format is perfect and hits you all at once to pay super extra attention. I know it did for me!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

for sure, i really do like the manga a lot which is why it kicks rear end that the anime is only doubling down

it feels good to like things!! hell yeah things

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/lossthief/status/1596655405756809217?s=46&t=_3m6x672qt2OHO9UFEr-3Q

Tfw you realize you’ve been watching a Love Live anime

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/rurushugi/status/1596507360209489921?t=PIN-YxZQqfb-AOzUCEgLbQ&s=19

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I read the manga after the first few episodes and it's a good 4 Koma and it does some neat things and the anime is doing a great job elevating things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wouldnt bang dream be a much better comparison

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished ep 6. drunkard indie rock bass player ftw. hell, this whole anime ftw

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

symbolic posted:

just finished ep 6. drunkard indie rock bass player ftw. hell, this whole anime ftw

She's so good SO GOOD. I just finished ep 08 and she's the exact energy that would have ruined me in Uni. Her dynamic with Bocchi is really nice.

That was just a really good episode. Kita having a Bocchi moment has won me around on her and I like how, as others have said, Nijika has so much main character energy from a more traditional take on the story with Bocchi in that narrative being (and forgive me for envoking TvTropes) a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass type character.

Also, the title drop at the end was so ham fisted I coudn't help but enjoy it. Bocchi's Rock. Bocchi za Rock.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Bocchi going from barely being able to say two words to Nijika in the first episode to having essentially a full conversation was pretty heart-warming on its own.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hellbore posted:

Bocchi going from barely being able to say two words to Nijika in the first episode to having essentially a full conversation was pretty heart-warming on its own.

Yeah she's come so far, she was able to actually have friends visit, and was able to perform without her box not once but twice!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Caught up with this show while recovering from covid. Made for a very good time, Bocchi ftw.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/pronet127/status/1597995593535696896?s=20&t=wBQka1LzOwvnPrg-7SDfCg

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

This is cursed. This is three hits with a nail bat cursed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't get the reference :(

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Saoshyant posted:

I don't get the reference :(

Chainsawman meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R0PaGMvgaY

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Episode's out. Show's still too loving funny, and I'm enjoying the new dynamic Kita being the only actual outgoing person.
Screencapped this, since I had a feeling people would want it.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Threadbanned from the chat thread, so I need to reply here.

Somewhere around 2 and 4. It's my birthday, and I'm spending it at home reading forum posts.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I hope you get to do something fun that you enjoy on your birthday Delphisage.

Happy birthday :toot:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Just want to point this out since it might get lost in translation: they went up, at most, one and a half flights of stairs by the time they gave up and took the ride to the top. There are multiple escalators at Enoshima, but the show puts a few landmarks dead center to show they took the absolute first one.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Good episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm looking forward to the Bocchi deaths supercut that will inevitably get made when it's over.