Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Valentin posted:

gridania would be more fun if it had plotlines about things that weren't the elementals, but we can't talk about ixal/sylphs ever because of tribe quests and we can't do gelmorra because ???. sure, limsa and ul'dah also only have one premise apiece (sid meier's pirates, syndicate bad), but those are more fun than "elemental-related miscommunication".

My running theory is that whatever the original 1.0 Gelmorra plan was, it's something too dark for them to even try touching, so they've dodged around it for years while they figure out what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

a cartoon duck posted:

gridania has important characters such as "unnamed serpent guy"

Merlwyb has an old rival turned friend backing her up.
Nanamo has her surrogate father and the son of her formerly most trusted confidant.
Kan-E-Senna has some guy she found in a ditch after a nuke went off.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I just want Serpent Dude to actually have a name. I get that he's deliberately concealing his identity because he was a Garlean soldier and is ashamed of it, but he could at least use a first name like Lucia? Or just make one up, dude, it's Eorzea, nobody but maybe Mother Miounne will ever give you poo poo about calling yourself Darth Horngus if you want

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Every time he picks out a name it turns out the next person he meets also has the exact same name

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm noticing that some low level materia goes for like 20 times the price of higher level materia on the market? Is there a reason I should hold on to them? Quickarm materia I goes for 9400 a piece while most of my other orbs rack 300 or something, for example.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Black Griffon posted:

I'm noticing that some low level materia goes for like 20 times the price of higher level materia on the market? Is there a reason I should hold on to them? Quickarm materia I goes for 9400 a piece while most of my other orbs rack 300 or something, for example.

Materia Grades I-IV aren't available from any vendors, and can only be created by soulbonding low level gear, or as rewards from low level ARR quests.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

W.T. Fits posted:

Materia Grades I-IV aren't available from any vendors, and can only be created by soulbonding low level gear, or as rewards from low level ARR quests.

But what do people use them for? Is there anything I should use them on besides that relic weapon quest?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there's a few specific ARR requests that require specific materia, it could be that the ones you're looking at are used in those

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Black Griffon posted:

But what do people use them for? Is there anything I should use them on besides that relic weapon quest?

Overmelding. Your melding chances are determined by a combination of materia grade and slot number, so it can be a pretty good idea to go with lower grade materia on the last slots to get just enough to max out a stat at a 30% chance, rather than try to swing for a 7% chance to meld something bigger.

I find that's more common in crafting, though, where you can measure more precisely what you're building for.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
When you level crafting there's a few "make me this with a that materia" hurdles.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Got it. Will I be losing out on much if I just market everything below, say, V though?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Got it. Will I be losing out on much if I just market everything below, say, V though?

No....by endgame the amount of gil that materia represents is negligible. You'll easily be able to re-buy it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Madmarker posted:

No....by endgame the amount of gil that materia represents is negligible. You'll easily be able to re-buy it.

Excellent, thanks. I'd rather have a clean inventory.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The only materia I hold on to is gathering and crafting materia and even then if a patch comes out with new DoL or DoH gear I'll sell it while the price is sky high. It's rare that I'm wanting to meld at the start of a patch and prices go crazy for a day or two.

Heck sometimes I'll buy low when I know new gear is coming out just for selling it high.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
The ARR relics consume a lot of low level materia, especially 1s and 2s. And the kind of people doing that content now are rich completionists who want the relic for every class. On the other hand, the supply of these materia is tiny.

If you craft yourself a set of level 17-19 cotton clothes, pentameld them, and wear them during basic activities (I use mine for crafting anything below level 70) you will be swimming in Gil in no time.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

op if you are new to this game absolutely do not worry about pentamelding lv17 crafting gear my god

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Oh, we're talking about an outright new player? I didn't notice. Yeah, don't even spend a nanosecond thinking about optimizing materia until you're max level, it's not worth it. Just slap them in whatever equipment slots you've got that make sense and move on, because while the differences are there, they are ABSOLUTELY not big enough to care about or measure when leveling.

EDIT: Honestly I feel like the in-game materia tutorial could use a revision or rewrite, because one of the most common newbie mistakes I see is basically overthinking the everloving gently caress out of it right out the gate.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 27, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Currently getting started on Heavensward, for the record, max level is a 55 Dragoon with average crafter level at 30 or so. So a long way from endgame.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah just sell your materia until you can meld them yourself, it's not worth paying the NPC to plug them in until you have gear that you won't be replacing for a long while.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

cheetah7071 posted:

The symptoms described in that video are very recognizable in ffxiv, even in extremely easy content, it's just that xiv isn't quite as far down the road, either by design or just because fewer years have passed. But the anecdote about people yelling at you if you go left instead of right in a dungeon is basically the same thing as tanking bone dragon center. The constant friction over big pulls is exactly their point about instrumental play filtering down to content where it's more of a social constraint than something the game itself is asking for. I've seen PFs wait for an hour for a ranged physical to join for fights where double caster or triple melee would have been completely fine. The passage about unspoken rules determining player behavior in farm content is exactly how you get PFs that have descriptions which are completely impenetrable to people who don't use PF

Like the game isn't ruined by any of this and in particular you'll pull big pulls from my cold dead hands but pretty much everything the video brought up is present to some degree in this game as well, with the possible exception of add-ons specifically (and even then I believe PF expects you to use them in uwu)

I don't think that the point of bringing up the video in regards to FFXIV's approach is to go "See? We don't do THAT here, we're BETTER" because the actual point of the video is that no game community is better when it comes to paratext/letting community norms filter in to how people are expected to play. It is more that it is a matter of degrees, and that the way the designers respond to these community values can make a huge difference in the resulting gameplay experience. I can tolerate a bit of "HEY TANK THE DRAGON CENTER/NORTH oh my god this data center is stupid" and so forth, because on the whole the really fiddly item level optimizing stuff sits at the very tippy-top of Experiencing The Game, and is not nearly as required as it seems to be in WoW. The particular bit about how raid series are simply designed that not everyone can clear them, and that's fine and good made me recoil and flinch and be grateful for normal difficulty raids so I can goddamn loving see the entire story in this game I'm paying 15 bucks a month for.

This game is not perfect but man, WoW damaged me, and I spent my whole time watching that going "Ah, Yoshi-P and crew recognized this and tried to counteract it in FFXIV....."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are too many people who've played both wow and ffxiv for the sentiment of How To Do Things Correctly to not have some crossover into this game, despite the tons of intentional design elements to try to keep this game both new player friendly and to discourage people getting aggro at others' play

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

This is your regular reminder that A Long Fall owns bones and now it will be stuck in your head for the next 48 hours.

BUTTHOLEEEEEEE!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

flatluigi posted:

there are too many people who've played both wow and ffxiv for the sentiment of How To Do Things Correctly to not have some crossover into this game, despite the tons of intentional design elements to try to keep this game both new player friendly and to discourage people getting aggro at others' play

As the video correctly points out, it's more the simple nature of multiplayer titles: without a hard win state like traditional singleplayer titles, the only two real goals left after for continuous play are experimentation (odd character builds, etc.) or optimization, and the latter is both simpler to do and easier to follow, ensuring that it becomes the dominant paradigm.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Vermain posted:

As the video correctly points out, it's more the simple nature of multiplayer titles: without a hard win state like traditional singleplayer titles, the only two real goals left after for continuous play are experimentation (odd character builds, etc.) or optimization, and the latter is both simpler to do and easier to follow, ensuring that it becomes the dominant paradigm.

the catch here is that you're taking continuous play as an assumed baseline, instead of players being encouraged to take breaks and return to the game when new content happens. sure, optimization is going to be a likely end result if the game is encouraging the players to replay everything over and over or otherwise fall behind - but ffxiv is structured to support players at every level of progressing through the game's content and to let them play (and not play) at their own pace

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

flatluigi posted:

there are too many people who've played both wow and ffxiv for the sentiment of How To Do Things Correctly to not have some crossover into this game

Boy howdy the whiplash doing the reverse and going FFXI to WoW for the first time.

"What do you mean you're not supposed to group up and grind overworld mobs to level up?!"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FeatherFloat posted:

I don't think that the point of bringing up the video in regards to FFXIV's approach is to go "See? We don't do THAT here, we're BETTER" because the actual point of the video is that no game community is better when it comes to paratext/letting community norms filter in to how people are expected to play. It is more that it is a matter of degrees, and that the way the designers respond to these community values can make a huge difference in the resulting gameplay experience. I can tolerate a bit of "HEY TANK THE DRAGON CENTER/NORTH oh my god this data center is stupid" and so forth, because on the whole the really fiddly item level optimizing stuff sits at the very tippy-top of Experiencing The Game, and is not nearly as required as it seems to be in WoW. The particular bit about how raid series are simply designed that not everyone can clear them, and that's fine and good made me recoil and flinch and be grateful for normal difficulty raids so I can goddamn loving see the entire story in this game I'm paying 15 bucks a month for.

This game is not perfect but man, WoW damaged me, and I spent my whole time watching that going "Ah, Yoshi-P and crew recognized this and tried to counteract it in FFXIV....."

Raids in WoW absolutely are designed for everyone to complete, they have 4 difficulty levels for a reason. From Looking for Raid (the everyone can clear mode, which uses the wow version of duty finder) which is in fact in the game specifically so people can experience the story, to Mythic (think about as hard as Savage, sometimes dipping into Ultimate). The optimisation stuff isn't at all needed, it just has trickled down very badly (it's pretty much only relevant for heroic/mythic, which are there for people who specifically want to do harder content).

Mythic never has (relevant) additional story, but sometimes has stuff like Savage phase 2s.

However, the culture of raiding in WoW is much more infuriating than FFXIV, even if (as I've noted) the same people exist in both. The worst of the optimisation brained people are much more contained in FFXIV. The worst in WoW isn't the people paid to play the game at top level either, to be honest, it's the people who think they have to emulate them to be as successful and aren't considering the fact that for those people it is in fact a job.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cleretic posted:

My running theory is that whatever the original 1.0 Gelmorra plan was, it's something too dark for them to even try touching, so they've dodged around it for years while they figure out what to do with it.

What could be too dark, though?

Revealing that the elementals committed genocide in a manner straight out of Berserk?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Gelmorra's pretty ripe territory for an expansion area, my guess is they had something sketched out but the story went in other directions.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

This is your regular reminder that A Long Fall owns bones and now it will be stuck in your head for the next 48 hours.

BUTTHOLEEEEEEE!!!

Related:
https://twitter.com/RaineRoselia/status/1596613671521746944

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Crafter quests. Most every crafter questline has one "give me this item with any level I materia" and one "give me this item with this specific level III materia".

Sell em on the mb.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Time to equip the Christmas glam! :dance:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lord_Magmar posted:

However, the culture of raiding in WoW is much more infuriating than FFXIV, even if (as I've noted) the same people exist in both. The worst of the optimisation brained people are much more contained in FFXIV. The worst in WoW isn't the people paid to play the game at top level either, to be honest, it's the people who think they have to emulate them to be as successful and aren't considering the fact that for those people it is in fact a job.

A friend of mine was server first to get both Twin Blades of Azzinoth (legendary rogue weapon). Once he realized how many people were looking at it as a skill thing instead of luck he started using random poisons week to week and watching who copied him assuming some secret meta.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

flatluigi posted:

the catch here is that you're taking continuous play as an assumed baseline

What I mean by "continuous play" is play that continues after win states are achieved, which, in the case of an MMO, are generally soft win states like hitting max level or finishing up each piece of content once. You absolutely could do those things and then drop the game like a hot rock, but it seems clear that a large percentage of the playerbase does not and continues to do roulettes and weeklies, at which point the aforementioned drive towards optimization will begin.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Macaluso posted:

Time to equip the Christmas glam! :dance:

Ooh, yeah, I need to put mine back on a plate.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Quick holiday glam tip, the darbar set can be dyed and the body pieces make very excellent christmas pieces

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

hazardousmouse posted:

Quick holiday glam tip, the darbar set can be dyed and the body pieces make very excellent christmas pieces

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Any tips for the Zadnor Lyon duel? It's my only remaining note and I eat poo poo at the landslide mechanic every time no matter how many times I watch clear videos to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DanielCross posted:

Any tips for the Zadnor Lyon duel? It's my only remaining note and I eat poo poo at the landslide mechanic every time no matter how many times I watch clear videos to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

dude's got a variety of landslides, but the basic gist of them is that the safe spot for the second wave is in the aoe markers for the first wave; so once you see the first aoe marker vanish, just move into where it used to be. if you're melee you'll lose uptime there since his immediate surroundings are covered in landslides but that's life

for the more specific landslide combos: for the ones after Duel Or Die 2 and 3, i place Lyon at the wall, then move so he's between me and the wall. after he puts confusion on me, i use two gcds, then run away from him, then when the landslides come out, i let go of my movement button and then press it again half a second after to move out of the confusion-landslide, and finally after confusion ends i simply move into the first landslide marker to dodge the second

for the quake+landslide combo, you can try to bait the landslides so there's a safe area where you can dodge the first and second quakes while dodging the first landslide, and then fairly effortlessly dodge the second landslide, but sometimes the aoes overlap awkwardly, so the important thing is to remember the order they resolve in: quake 1 -> quake 2 -> landslide 1 -> landslide 2, meaning to dodge the second quake you can actually briefly dodge into the first landslide aoe marker, then quickly scoot out once the quake's gone

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/lhdlovebooh/status/1596613928767082496?s=46&t=T9iPEAt1q3V6VL6c5RmUWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

dude's got a variety of landslides, but the basic gist of them is that the safe spot for the second wave is in the aoe markers for the first wave; so once you see the first aoe marker vanish, just move into where it used to be. if you're melee you'll lose uptime there since his immediate surroundings are covered in landslides but that's life

for the more specific landslide combos: for the ones after Duel Or Die 2 and 3, i place Lyon at the wall, then move so he's between me and the wall. after he puts confusion on me, i use two gcds, then run away from him, then when the landslides come out, i let go of my movement button and then press it again half a second after to move out of the confusion-landslide, and finally after confusion ends i simply move into the first landslide marker to dodge the second

for the quake+landslide combo, you can try to bait the landslides so there's a safe area where you can dodge the first and second quakes while dodging the first landslide, and then fairly effortlessly dodge the second landslide, but sometimes the aoes overlap awkwardly, so the important thing is to remember the order they resolve in: quake 1 -> quake 2 -> landslide 1 -> landslide 2, meaning to dodge the second quake you can actually briefly dodge into the first landslide aoe marker, then quickly scoot out once the quake's gone

I feel bad, because you went through all that trouble to type it up, and then I got the Lyon notes literally my next Dalriada run. Welp!