Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Just did a mission with four guardsmen and it was a blast. We had a mixture of the toughness and grenade regen, so it was just the invincible pineapple crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BombiTheZombie posted:

Just had a go with an Accatran MKVIIa Recon Lasgun, thing is super accurate sure but it just doesnt have the killing power needed to clear out shooters. Even headshots seem to take at least three per guy.

Shame, since mine has 2 burn stacks on crit and 4% ranged crit. Burn seems useful on certain enemies but the bolter kills em just as quick. Gimme a Kantrael MG XII Infrantry Lasgun any day of the week.

That's the Spicy Queen I have! I think it's going to get overwhelmed at higher haz levels, but with the right stats, the thing does melt enemies. If you have the talent that gives you extra crit when you ads, I think it makes it very good. Don't give up on it yet! (or wait until you can craft a better version)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Okay so there's daemonhosts now???

New midboss, surprised and kicked my team's rear end on threat 4. Teleporting gently caress.

Yeah, it's really relentless.

If it downs someone and does the force-choke on it how do you save that person? I didn't see any promps to assist my ally when I ran near them so I just attacked the thing a bunch thinking it was like a DPS check but that didn't help.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

If it downs someone and does the force-choke on it how do you save that person? I didn't see any promps to assist my ally when I ran near them so I just attacked the thing a bunch thinking it was like a DPS check but that didn't help.

You have to kill it then and there.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Jimbot posted:

As far as i know its basically an instant kill on that person after the channel. Usually she seems to focus on whoever startled her. Her attacks go through block and seem undodgeable, and add a huge chunk of corruption as well.

Basically, dont startle or one person will die unless you can manage to burst the dodgy bastard down.

Oh and last dark map i ran i had 4 daemonhosts spawn during a map, usually during chokepoints that took some thinking to find a skip for.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Braced autogun and a chainsword on veteran is bonkers good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BombiTheZombie posted:

As far as i know its basically an instant kill on that person after the channel. Usually she seems to focus on whoever startled her. Her attacks go through block and seem undodgeable, and add a huge chunk of corruption as well.

Basically, dont startle or one person will die unless you can manage to burst the dodgy bastard down.

Oh and last dark map i ran i had 4 daemonhosts spawn during a map, usually during chokepoints that took some thinking to find a skip for.

I don't think it's unblockable. We had an Ogryn with a shield just tank them. Also it seems there are 4 per map? They have a shitton of HP.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't think it's unblockable. We had an Ogryn with a shield just tank them. Also it seems there are 4 per map? They have a shitton of HP.

Oh its not unblockable but every blocked attack seems to add corruption through the block. You can still avoid the HP damage but once your HP is corrupted enough to have one bar left of uncorrupted HP it will channel its instakill beam on ya

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Daemonhosts are fuuuuuuucked

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Don't go down a drop-down if you alert a daemonhost at the top of the drop-down. The model fails to actually drop down but the actual daemonhost will still be with you so you will have to kill it while it is invisible; you can tell where it is because it will have some swirling mist around it whenever it does the animation to kill someone. My team only survived it because it was the interrogator room on the coolant map so everyone kept respawning one by one there as the next person was being killed.

:fatshark:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pennsylvanian posted:

I really like the new desert mission. Must suck if you're not set up for range, though.

Babby Ogryn verdict : I don't like sand. it's coarse and my rear end gets all shot up in it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Just did a Lights Out mission and I'm really amazed how well the map worked. The environmental artists have clearly intended the rooms to be visually interesting and navigable under different conditions.

Its also really creepy to look across a long hall and see 15 pairs of green optics looking back at you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is Quick Play on a map rotation that rotates every hour? So we all get the same map each hour? Seems like a lot of duplicate back to back missions.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Is Quick Play on a map rotation that rotates every hour? So we all get the same map each hour? Seems like a lot of duplicate back to back missions.

I assume people gravitate towards the easiest missions (based on modifiers) or sub objectives they need to farm, which would result in you "randomly" getting matched with people farming whatever the current hot mission is.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Not exactly. It's a symptom of the way the random missions are set up right now. You look at the mission screen and you see around a dozen available options, but they're split up across 5 difficulties. So if you're Quickplaying the same difficulty each time (like I imagine 98% of players), you only have 2-3 potential maps you can be dropped into. The game will happily place you into the same map two times in a row, especially if multiple options are the same map with different random modifiers.

It's not a great system IMO. I've said it before, but difficulty should be something that the player specifies after they choose the map. Cut the map rotation down to ~6 at a time to compensate so the population doesn't get too diluted. The current phenomenon of getting the same Quickplay map multiple times in a row simply sucks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also it would probably help with giving a sense of direction in the world if the big mission menu wasn't pointing to 4 different places for the exact same map, but with modifiers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It reminds me of the big confusing payday 2 level selection map but iirc that let you change difficulties once you selected a mission so it really didn't matter all that much as long as you picked the mission you wanted.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also it would probably help with giving a sense of direction in the world if the big mission menu wasn't pointing to 4 different places for the exact same map, but with modifiers.

Yes, agreed. You could make an argument that selecting your own difficulty would diminish the kayfabe of responding to enemy threats, but right now seeing multiple of the same mission up is much worse.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I JUST FOUGHT A DEMONHOST WHAT THE gently caress

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kaysette posted:

Got these three in two games back to back. Way easier than the psyker ones.

What's the trick to the grenade one?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

S.J. posted:

I JUST FOUGHT A DEMONHOST WHAT THE gently caress

SAME, first time seeing one and it showed up twice in the same mission. It auto killed two of us and we sat there while our level 2 Vet who never pulled out his melee weapon slowly CODed his way through the dark map, only to get pounced by a hound right as the bot ally was replaced by a Psyker, who head popped the hound but then exploded themself doing further head pops instead of getting the Vet up and failed the mission for us.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These dark missions are pretty tough but the worst map condition is still having an Ogryn with a shield on your team. At least in the dark maps you can use your guns.

e: Also if all Ogryn can stop using their charge that would be rad. I can't think of any time I saw one and went "whoa that was used well" but I can think of dozens of times it scattered a horde I had controlled and got me overwhelmed or whatever.

Actually just stop playing Ogryn, because goddamn.

e2: Is there any way to increase the friendly fire damage I deal

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 27, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

These dark missions are pretty tough but the worst map condition is still having an Ogryn with a shield on your team. At least in the dark maps you can use your guns.

e: Also if all Ogryn can stop using their charge that would be rad. I can't think of any time I saw one and went "whoa that was used well" but I can think of dozens of times it scattered a horde I had controlled and got me overwhelmed or whatever.

what the gently caress

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
New dark mission condition and Daemonhosts own and are terrifying. We really did a fuckin monkey paw when someone went "I'm sick of Endless Horde"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The Krourk Mk IV Cleaver (a stainless steel bowie knife with a grooved blade and with no handguard) looks extremely cool but just sucks. Both of its combos are mainly single-target strikes, but it's only about as good as the shovel or club for single-target damage. You're giving up almost all of your ability to clear hordes in return for nothing.

I only just realized there are different kinds of Cleavers. :downs: I was wondering why my new Cleaver seemed to use attacks that were different from those of my previous one, and also why it seemed noticeably less useful. Turns out my 'upgrade' is a sucky Krourk Mk IV. Time to buy a Bull Butcher instead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, queuing for malice and getting 2 level 4's and a level 3 does not make for a fun run.
One of them had obviously played before, but the other two ran ahead and died to the first patrol in the level.

Should probably make the level requirements for the higher difficulties a bit higher, maybe keep them unlocked if you have a character past that level already.

Just bail. No reason to waste time on that kind of run. If I see a lvl 3 lobby with more than one person under 15? Gone, re-try in a second.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Killed a Daemonhost with 15 consecutive chainsword tears to the face, because my team managed to trigger it despite being in a wide open arena :negative:

Unfortunately it took the two survivors down a lot and the other person couldn't fight so we just wiped anyways. Don't shoot the drat thing, leave it alone!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just bail. No reason to waste time on that kind of run. If I see a lvl 3 lobby with more than one person under 15? Gone, re-try in a second.

Are you sure you aren't talking about level 5 because level 3s are not *that* hard. Or do you demand a royal palisade to be placed upon so that you can be carted through the level?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 27, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Thinking about it now, I'm not sure I've ever heard a female veteran's voice acting.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

If you can tell they obv have higher level characters then I don't see a reason to just bail.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
On my new characters I've stepped up to malice at like level 7 or so, as soon as I can get a real set of melee / ranged weapons

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just want you to know that you are my nemesis.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BadOptics posted:

If you can tell they obv have higher level characters then I don't see a reason to just bail.

Even if they're absolute tits with their main, they don't have their higher lvl skills, they don't have access to their better weapons, their gear tends to be shittier, etc. There's a huge difference between a lvl 10 and a lvl 15 character

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, the smoothest heresy missions I've done have been with 2 and 3 Ogryns, he's definitely not weak for the harder difficulties.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Counterpoint: the ogryn can just stand there immune to damage from a daemonhost while you hit it in the back with power weapons.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

toasterwarrior posted:

New dark mission condition and Daemonhosts own and are terrifying. We really did a fuckin monkey paw when someone went "I'm sick of Endless Horde"

I was ready to hate the darkness modifier, mostly because I found that Vermintide mission in the mine where you carry the torch through pitch black darkness to be just terrible. But they managed to make it pretty fun here, a noticeable change of pace without being overly irritating. At least on level 3, hopefully it does not become unmanageable on the higher difficulties.

Daemonhosts rule, waking them up feels punishing at this point. Although I already had one random group that had enough damage to down it without casualties on level 3. I hope they remain strong enough that waking one up will cost you. It would suck if the dominating strategy becomes to just nuke them to oblivion instead of making an effort to avoid waking them.

edit:

Puny. Sniveller.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just had a Daemonhost show up in a non-dark mission for the first time, that was kinda cool and being able to see the fight helped

If there's a standalone geometry object anywhere in the area, you can aggro them and then literally just dodge/circlestrafe circles around it while blocking and tank it indefinitely. It doesn't have a way to attack you unless there's a clear unobscured path between it and you. It moves around the circle faster than you strafe, so it swings at you occasionally when it catches up (and sometimes it teleports) - well-timed dodges can avoid the swings and blocks can catch the ones where your timing was off. It will entirely ignore your teammates while they blast it, and I was just able to do this on Difficulty 4 without having my Block broken more than once (level 29 zealot with no stam/block gear, 1handed chainsword). It wasn't able to get its channeled ability off on me at all.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

CuddleCryptid posted:

Are you sure you aren't talking about level 5 because level 3s are not *that* hard. Or do you demand a royal palisade to be placed upon so that you can be carted through the level?

good burn but the word you are thinking of is palanquin

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I can understand the Ogryn hate when people play him as a tank that always has to be in front of everyone blocking doors and sight-lines. I play as more of a sheep-dog role, making sure that my special killers are clear to do their jobs, using my height to mark enemies, and using my grenade gauntlet to kill distant specials/carry Veterans who couldn't find their rear end with both hands and a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ogryn is incredibly fun to play, but yeah, every time I run into one in public matchmaking they have a shield and they want to be in front of everyone 24/7, and they do nothing except stand there blocking things with their shield (primarily our team's bullets). I do not like seeing them on my teams at all because even if they're not intentionally trying to be in front of everyone, their charges hurt the team more than help more often than not and their sheer bodymass means they somehow always take up like 1/2 my screen unless I stay out of cohesion range from them. Not to the point of leaving lobbies when I see them but more like "ugh, an Ogryn, guess I have to take a flamer".

If you want to have a shield and be out in front of your team at least run WAY the gently caress out front and charge way past your team instead of blocking a doorway. Do it like the zealots do it, just get close enough to enemies that they stop shooting your teammates.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 27, 2022