Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Schnitzler posted:

I was ready to hate the darkness modifier, mostly because I found that Vermintide mission in the mine where you carry the torch through pitch black darkness to be just terrible. But they managed to make it pretty fun here, a noticeable change of pace without being overly irritating. At least on level 3, hopefully it does not become unmanageable on the higher difficulties.

edit:

Puny. Sniveller.

I keep thinking that they nailed the environment aesthetics that games like Aliens: Fireteam Elite need to really be stellar. A Tyranid faction investing these levels would look amazing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JBP posted:

Counterpoint: the ogryn can just stand there immune to damage from a daemonhost while you hit it in the back with power weapons.
Yeah I came here to say that if the demonhost aggros on an ogryn and he has a shield he can literally just sit with his back to a wall and hold special while the demonhost repeatedly fails to do anything.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Regarding my posts about the braced autogun being accurate as hell earlier in the thread: I didn't realize there are 2 braced autoguns

MKII: Extremely accurate on first shot, maintains high accuracy on followup shots even full-auto (as long as you are stationary and braced, on both counts)

MKVIII: Trash. Trash, trash, trash. Doesn't have pinpoint accurate first shot, struggles with recoil, doesn't maintain accuracy at full-auto. Zero advantages over the MKII.
(It's not actually trash but it is FAR worse than the MK2 at dealing with long range combat and I will never buy one again)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 27, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JBP posted:

Counterpoint: the ogryn can just stand there immune to damage from a daemonhost while you hit it in the back with power weapons.

Literally did this on my 2nd dark mission tonight and it was loving tasty. God help you if the Ogryn doesn't have aggro tho, someone is dying.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Regarding my posts about the braced autogun being accurate as hell earlier in the thread: I didn't realize there are 2 braced autoguns

There are in fact three, for whatever reason. Graia is the other and while not Incredible is a lot of fun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

SplitSoul posted:

What's the trick to the grenade one?

Just gotta dial in the angle and get a little bit of luck. I feel like I was looking up at a 45-50 degree angle and just chucked one toward a crowd. It was on the new map, one of the larger open areas.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

cerebral posted:

I can understand the Ogryn hate when people play him as a tank that always has to be in front of everyone blocking doors and sight-lines. I play as more of a sheep-dog role, making sure that my special killers are clear to do their jobs, using my height to mark enemies, and using my grenade gauntlet to kill distant specials/carry Veterans who couldn't find their rear end with both hands and a map.

This is how it was intended to be played I am sure, this is what I do and every other good Ogryn player I've seen does as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Orv posted:

There are in fact three, for whatever reason. Graia is the other and while not Incredible is a lot of fun.

Wait, is there a Graia Braced autogun? I think I've only seen the Graia Infantry Autogun.

e: This game really needs better weapon names.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what's the trick to the ogryn's "charge 75m" penance? Take the long-charge talent and hope your boys kill enough elites to speed up Bullfighter?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what's the trick to the ogryn's "charge 75m" penance? Take the long-charge talent and hope your boys kill enough elites to speed up Bullfighter?

Yep!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

MKII: Extremely accurate on first shot, maintains high accuracy on followup shots even full-auto (as long as you are stationary and braced, on both counts)

MKVIII: Trash. Trash, trash, trash. Doesn't have pinpoint accurate first shot, struggles with recoil, doesn't maintain accuracy at full-auto. Zero advantages over the MKII.
(It's not actually trash but it is FAR worse than the MK2 at dealing with long range combat and I will never buy one again)

Is the MKII the one where even on ADS it has a sort of shotgun spread pattern for its reticle? People like that one?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is the MKII the one where even on ADS it has a sort of shotgun spread pattern for its reticle? People like that one?

All of the Braced Autoguns have that, but the MK2 in particular (compared to the MK7) has a very accurate, tight spread within that reticle while the MK7 is wild and all over the place. The MK2 can easily pick off snipers across the map, the MK7 could never hope to.

e: I don't mean the specific MK2 and MK7 in that screenshot either, I mean all MK2s are high-stability, tight spread, lower damage per bullet but larger capacity. All MK7s are low stability in exchange for higher damage/stopping power - which are unnecessary because the Braced Autogun's damage and stopping power are through the roof already. The Mk7 is better for hipfiring at close range and can't handle long-range at all, vs. the Mk2 which is better at long range and can still handle close-range hipfiring very well. The MK2 is useful in all situations and can be a primary weapon that carries you through an entire mission, the MK7 is still a solid gun but it can't handle long range and leaves you forced into melee more often.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 27, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wait, is there a Graia Braced autogun? I think I've only seen the Graia Infantry Autogun.

e: This game really needs better weapon names.

There is, it is also SMG-ish.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

These dark missions are pretty tough but the worst map condition is still having an Ogryn with a shield on your team. At least in the dark maps you can use your guns.

e: Also if all Ogryn can stop using their charge that would be rad. I can't think of any time I saw one and went "whoa that was used well" but I can think of dozens of times it scattered a horde I had controlled and got me overwhelmed or whatever.

Actually just stop playing Ogryn, because goddamn.

e2: Is there any way to increase the friendly fire damage I deal

Counterpoint: More Ogryns,

From another goon streaming the other night: https://www.twitch.tv/vatthammer/video/1663029490

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Orv posted:

Three variants seems to be the magic number for most of the weapons. Three infantry autos, three accatran lasguns, three kantrael lasguns, three tactical axes etc. At this point I basically just assume if a weapon type has a variant there's three versions.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

SplitSoul posted:

At the end of a mission that has you get to extraction but there's a long distance to the tunnel you came out of, and hordes are coming after you, chuck grenades.

But really chuck a few grenades in a mission and note that they do have a time before they detonate. Huck 'em across a map into a horde and you should do it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uuuuuh, I think the "Lacerate" trait on daggers is bugged and triggers off its own bleed ticks.
Try hitting an enemy once with it, and watch the bleed damage ticks become higher and higher until it hits the max (seems to be 30).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Moose King posted:

SAME, first time seeing one and it showed up twice in the same mission. It auto killed two of us and we sat there while our level 2 Vet who never pulled out his melee weapon slowly CODed his way through the dark map, only to get pounced by a hound right as the bot ally was replaced by a Psyker, who head popped the hound but then exploded themself doing further head pops instead of getting the Vet up and failed the mission for us.

The AI is absolutely incapable of reviving people and it's the loving worst

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Uuuuuh, I think the "Lacerate" trait on daggers is bugged and triggers off its own bleed ticks.
Try hitting an enemy once with it, and watch the bleed damage ticks become higher and higher until it hits the max (seems to be 30).

It does! It leads to some pretty silly things at the moment.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

Aim high.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Good tip on the Butcher MK3 knife for the Ogryn, that thing is great. I do miss the shield though when I'm getting peppered from a distance by machineguns.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any chance lore-wise that we'll get a Space Marine execution target? This might be the first WH40k game that would be capable of doing the concept of a Space Marine justice and it would be rad to see one included that was a true honest space marine rather than a chaos marine (which would also be cool, maybe even as a mid-mission monstrosity?).

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

I dunno if they added it this patch or if I somehow just missed it before today, but I noticed the medicae servitor asks if it can heal your ravaged body. GOTY.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Medicae Servitors have great lines in general. Once they're out of juice they start muttering about how worthless and useless and depressed they are

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So you know the nurgle juice the Beast of Nurgle leaves behind? It slows you down, but you can slide forever on it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Broken Cog posted:

So you know the nurgle juice the Beast of Nurgle leaves behind? It slows you down, but you can slide forever on it.

What the gently caress!? Got to try this

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Is there any chance lore-wise that we'll get a Space Marine execution target? This might be the first WH40k game that would be capable of doing the concept of a Space Marine justice and it would be rad to see one included that was a true honest space marine rather than a chaos marine (which would also be cool, maybe even as a mid-mission monstrosity?).

Fatshark has been quite clear that there will be no spess marines.

I'm not sure if that allows for the loophole of Chaos space marines.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, but in those same statements they also emphasized that they don't want the players to play as a space marine, this doesn't sound like it fully excludes the possibilty of enemy space marines:
"There are actually no Space Marines in this game," Head of Design Victor Magnuson told Shacknews. "That was a choice we did early on. We want to focus on the human side or like a more day-to-day person and how would it be to be stuck in a hive city full of Poxwalkers and you have to fight to survive as a normal human being, instead of being this mega godlike Space Marine."

A space marine execution target would emphasize just how small the humans are compared to the space marine which is why I want to see it!

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of which, I have no idea if this will ever come in useful but I discovered that if you slide into an area where you cannot stand, your slide will not end until you can stand again. For example if you slide down these benches:

The point where your slide would end has the 2nd level of shelves/bunks above it and you're not capable of standing up, so you'll keep sliding until the end of the bench.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Also if all Ogryn can stop using their charge that would be rad. I can't think of any time I saw one and went "whoa that was used well" but I can think of dozens of times it scattered a horde I had controlled and got me overwhelmed or whatever.

On higher difficulties, I've seen it used extremely well on crushers since it'll knock them over. We had 2 crushers and 4 ravagers and honestly the well timed ogryn charge let us easily finish off the crushers in the middle of the horde

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

this doesn't sound like it fully excludes the possibilty of enemy space marines:
"There are actually no Space Marines in this game,"

:confused:

I mean it would be cool but I don't think there's going to be space marines in the game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yes and no, but the devs have said no space marines. Also if you haven't, play Space Marine - it's really solid, and I'm sure the sequel will be good as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

explosivo posted:

:confused:

I mean it would be cool but I don't think there's going to be space marines in the game

God I hope not.

Let’s just have one without them

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This bug where things just randomly don’t count towards requisition completion is real annoying. Had three missions in a row now where my kills just didn’t count (but mission completion and scrip pickups did???).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm already bummed the missions went from power outage to endless horde again, what the hell? Lights out is way loving cooler.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Now I have a Boltgun
Ho-ho-ho

:commissar:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Now I have a Boltgun
Ho-ho-ho

:commissar:

I literally made this same joke when I finally got a heavy stubber.

God if my Ogryn can port around a heavy bolter one day I'll be the happiest little boy

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
it's honestly way more frustrating when your team is just not killing stuff fast enough, taking too much damage, getting ground down, than it is when they run off on their own doing whatever silly thing

would honestly rather fail fast than fail slowly

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Don't know if the Ogryn talent that makes grenade boxes break open and explode when you hit large enemies is actually good but it's certainly entertaining. Nailing a Crusher in the face used to knock it down, now it dies along with everything around it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

These dark missions are pretty tough but the worst map condition is still having an Ogryn with a shield on your team. At least in the dark maps you can use your guns.

e: Also if all Ogryn can stop using their charge that would be rad. I can't think of any time I saw one and went "whoa that was used well" but I can think of dozens of times it scattered a horde I had controlled and got me overwhelmed or whatever.

Actually just stop playing Ogryn, because goddamn.

e2: Is there any way to increase the friendly fire damage I deal

Weird. I love seeing them with a shield, especially if they can hold a door during a horde. Use melee, warp or energy weapons, problem solved. Ogryn has never blocked my voidstaff :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't know if the Ogryn talent that makes grenade boxes break open and explode when you hit large enemies is actually good but it's certainly entertaining. Nailing a Crusher in the face used to knock it down, now it dies along with everything around it.

It's certainly not always useful but every time I've had it go off I've absolutely demolished a huge chunk of a horde, or multiple ragers/brutes, or done most of the health of multiple crushers/reapers, etc. I definitely think it's worth it. The more crowded the area the better of course.

It doesn't have to be just large enemies though, it'll work on maulers and I think maybe ragers? Could be misremembering that though.