Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

hallo spacedog posted:

Who the gently caress is out there eating penguin eggs

Antarctic explorers and shipwrecked sailors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This. If someone tells me they're eating penguin eggs, I'm not going to explore their motives.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I've read that penguin eggs are actually pretty gross, because they're fishy; because penguins exist mostly on fish.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
I don't know what this is but I'd give it a red hot go.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That might be the worst take on pigs in a blanket or it could be a take on corndogs so awful that the human mind can't fully grasp it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those are 'toad-in-the-hole', sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, but they're not really supposed to look like that...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Is anything supposed to look like this?
Anything at all? I'll accept 'daddy has the bad thoughts again' as an answer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

By popular demand posted:

Is anything supposed to look like this?
Anything at all? I'll accept 'daddy has the bad thoughts again' as an answer.
This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There actually was a disastrous antarctic expedition to retrieve penguin eggs. It was believed that penguins was a primitive bird and the missing link between reptiles. The penguin embryos were supposed to prove this link. Two of the three members of the expedition died to retrieve eggs that didn't prove anything.

Sekhmnet posted:

I've read that penguin eggs are actually pretty gross, because they're fishy; because penguins exist mostly on fish.

Seagulls also mostly exists on fish and their eggs are really tasty.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Alhazred posted:

There actually was a disastrous antarctic expedition to retrieve penguin eggs. It was believed that penguins was a primitive bird and the missing link between reptiles. The penguin embryos were supposed to prove this link. Two of the three members of the expedition died to retrieve eggs that didn't prove anything.

And from what I heard so far of doomed expeditions I can guess that wasn't anywhere near the dumbest reason to send people to die in the Antarctic.

Alhazred posted:

Seagulls also mostly exists on fish and their eggs are really tasty.

Probably all the fries they steal from tourists.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sakurazuka posted:

Those are 'toad-in-the-hole', sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, but they're not really supposed to look like that...

more like choads-in-the-foul

no that's not it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
doctor, something is very wrong with my toad.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'd try it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Same, but man would I feel guilty afterwards

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You have a strange way of spelling gut leak.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

The Worst Journey in the World https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_Journey_in_the_World

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
yule worm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Delicious!

https://imgur.com/ZVtKnRk.mp4

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have this book, and have never read it, though I am a great reader of early 20th century antarctic exploration. I've read all of Shackleton's expeditions, plus Douglas Mawson's, but the Scott stuff is so depressingly, obviously doomed to failure, I could never enjoy any of it.
Compared to Shackleton, who never lost a man, Scott seems to have positively revelled in dying for a stupid "Noble Cause"

Edit: Shackletons accounts are incredible. They well written, funny, absorbing, and you just know no one is going to die of something stupid because Ernest was a crazy good and devoted leader.
I remember reading the last part of one of the later explorations, when the crew had to be rescued from an antarctic island.
Shackleton spent months trying to get back to that island, finally got there and, when he arrived, a few dishevelled men got down to the beach.
Shackleton asked tentatively "all well?"
They answered
"All well"

I cried like a baby when I read that.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Nov 27, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

I have this book, and have never read it, though I am a great reader of early 20th century antarctic exploration. I've read all of Shackleton's expeditions, plus Douglas Mawson's, but the Scott stuff is so depressingly, obviously doomed to failure, I could never enjoy any of it.
Compared to Shackleton, who never lost a man, Scott seems to have positively revelled in dying for a stupid "Noble Cause"

Edit: Shackletons accounts are incredible. They well written, funny, absorbing, and you just know no one is going to die of something stupid because Ernest was a crazy good and devoted leader.
I remember reading the last part of one of the later explorations, when the crew had to be rescued from an antarctic island.
Shackleton spent months trying to get back to that island, finally got there and, when he arrived, a few dishevelled men got down to the beach.
Shackleton asked tentatively "all well?"
They answered
"All well"

I cried like a baby when I read that.

It's kinda funny that Shackleton's expedition was the most successfull british polar expedition simply because no one died.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Beardcrumb posted:

I don't know what this is but I'd give it a red hot go.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I feel like every time I hear about a polar expedition its something along the line of:
"Food ran out after only two weeks because expedition leader Percy Montague Arthur George Maria Featherstonehaugh 7th earl of Scunthorpe, a hemophiliac who had never seen a boat before, insisted that he needed to bring his collection of 43 antique grandfather clocks leaving little space in the hold for food. The earl died shortly after from exposure as he forgot to bring a coat."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My favourite thing about Arctic exploration is how long it took them to figure out what causes scurvy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not sure but it might be that the expeditions to Australia and New Zealand were the dumbest,
Full on let's ignore what the helpful natives are trying to tell us about edible plants and also let's scare them off with gunshots because.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I feel like every time I hear about a polar expedition its something along the line of:
"Food ran out after only two weeks because expedition leader Percy Montague Arthur George Maria Featherstonehaugh 7th earl of Scunthorpe, a hemophiliac who had never seen a boat before, insisted that he needed to bring his collection of 43 antique grandfather clocks leaving little space in the hold for food. The earl died shortly after from exposure as he forgot to bring a coat."

"In other news, Roar Bjørnson reached the pole without any of his men dying and also conducted some scientific studies. He passed the body of Percy Montague Arthur George Maria Featherstonehaugh 7th earl of Scunthorpe on his way back and made sure he got a decent burial."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

My favourite thing about Arctic exploration is how long it took them to figure out what causes scurvy.
Better yet they knew and then forgot how to avoid it, thanks to a combination of mixing up lemons and limes (limes have less vitamin c) and storing the juice in copper containers which broke what vitamin c was there down and faster boats meaning voyages were shorter so they didn't notice their defective lime juice didn't work. Until these polar expeditions started and suddenly people got scurvy no matter how much they drank! So clearly lemons are bullshit and the true cause is [insert nonsense here].

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This year my spouse volunteered to make the green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. I hate green bean casserole, because it is objectively disgusting. But my spouse made the casserole from scratch, and it was actually delicious. Hardly anyone ate it because it wasn't bad enough.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Halloween Jack posted:

This year my spouse volunteered to make the green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. I hate green bean casserole, because it is objectively disgusting. But my spouse made the casserole from scratch, and it was actually delicious. Hardly anyone ate it because it wasn't bad enough.

Even just made with fresh green beans it's so much better.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't like green bean casserole, so I just make southern green beans (green beans with bacon and onions)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, neither my wife nor I grew up in families who made Can of Mushroom Soup over Frozen Beans with Onion Bag so we didn't really understand the appeal. This year we made some green bean casserole from scratch with fresh beans and mushrooms and it was delicious and we will probably be permanently adding it to our Thanksgivings (along with Southern Fried Corn which we also tried).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What upscale thing did yall replace the canned French fried onions with

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Being British I'd never experienced thanksgiving until last year when my American friend invited me to her place along with her parents vising from the US

I specifically asked if they'd have green bean casserole because of hearing about it here, and they made it and I thought it was great. Probably they used fresh beans though. My friend said they'd never cooked it during her childhood but her dad was happy because he used to have it on the thanksgiving table growing up. Seems a dish that's much more than the sum of the parts

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
No one knows what causes scurvy. It's a mystery.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not enough raw liver.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's what all the grog is for!!! It'll leave yer liver raw for sure! Yo ho ho ho ho!!!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

Being British I'd never experienced thanksgiving until last year when my American friend invited me to her place along with her parents vising from the US

I specifically asked if they'd have green bean casserole because of hearing about it here, and they made it and I thought it was great. Probably they used fresh beans though. My friend said they'd never cooked it during her childhood but her dad was happy because he used to have it on the thanksgiving table growing up. Seems a dish that's much more than the sum of the parts

There's green bean casserole, then there's Lutheran-church-potluck-in-Wisconsin green bean casserole. I guarantee that if they were using fresh beans it wasn't no church potluck version.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I will admit to liking the full can version of green bean casserole, although I am fully aware that it fits within a very specific garbage comfort food niche on account of growing up in the midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Does anyone actually do the sweet potato pie thing with the broiled marshmallows?

Seems like something people only make on TV because no one in my house liked sweet potatoes