Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Are there any places that name streets while sentences? Like "Lincoln was a good guy" avenue?

lots of official titles in names in the united states. roads in many states reflect a protestant heritage with names like "Martin Luther, King"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

speng31b posted:

https://twitter.com/David_Mulroney/status/1596463220847702017

https://twitter.com/covert_intel/status/1596446823446896640

the derangement over Huawei continues to be one of the funniest things to me. worst case scenario they're barely even in the top 10 of garbage Android phone OEMs who are basically just shipping piles of malware

The US don't give a poo poo about end user phone sales, they really want to shut down the Huawei global telecom equiotment sales. What happened is that Huawei spinned off half of their smartphone division, but slightly gained telecom market share since the sanctions.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/michel_mary/status/1596540978516873216

not looking good for civilians trying to evacuate kherson

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder what tattoos they're checking for.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lots of official titles in names in the united states. roads in many states reflect a protestant heritage with names like "Martin Luther, King"

oh, to give a real answer, there are tons of streets named after dates in latin american countries. "street sixth of august" etc

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Majorian posted:

Russia continues to be not-great at the whole "killing Azov Nazis" thing, I'm afraid:

https://twitter.com/KramarenkoMari3/status/1596521737893867520

*taps head putinishly*
Unless they start executing prisoners giving those Nazis back is the best way to kill them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Not Ukrainian enough. While some nationalists do love nazis, the streets get named after distinctly Ukrainian losers like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olena_Teliha and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleh_Olzhych who managed to piss off the other OUN factions and actual nazis enough that they got executed before even the soviets showed up.

They're hipster nazis who are fans of the more obscure characters

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Danann posted:

(from t.me/TrackAMerc/1674, via tgsa)

Wagner blows them up when they show up in their area. AFAICT it's more that Ukraine seems to consider them more valuable than 5-day TDF cannon fodder which is why they get exchanged for Russian POWs.

This exchange had Snake island PoWs, as well as national guard troops who were captured guarding Chernobyl. In both cases they were captured at the very beginning of the war.

Looking at other prisoner swaps it's similar.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/52-ukrainians-released-from-russian-captivity/

quote:

“We held another exchange of prisoners. We managed to release 52 of our people – officers, medics, sergeants and soldiers.” Yermak said.

There are 12 soldiers of the National Guard among them, including two from the Azov Regiment, 18 from the Navy, 8 from the State Border Guard Service, 9 from Territorial Defence Forces, 3 soldiers of the Armed Forces and 2 civilians.

In particular, the defenders of Azovstal and Mariupol, as well as the people who saved lives, return home.

It was possible to exchange the Head of the Surgical Department of the Mariupol Military Hospital, who was at Azovstal, and the young military surgeon of the 65th Military Mobile Hospital.

“We are returning a marine whose wife has recently left captivity and a volunteer from Mariupol with the symbolic call-sing “Moscow,” and a sailor from the Zmiinyi Island,” Yermak added.

Some of the returning home are the military captured in the Chernobyl zone.

As Ruslan Muzychuk, spokesman for the National Guard specified, 7 servicemen who had been captured and removed from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant were released.

Some from Mariupol, some from Chernobyl and at least one from Snake island. It looks like the general program is first in first out. The DPR building cages and saying that they were going to start trying and executing Azov probably did bump them up the list a bit though. Even then the big release of Azov was for Medvedchuk, not so much for Russian soldiers (though 55 were kicked in, vs 215 Azov and Ukrainian marines released).

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I'm at the MIC honey pit

I'm at the diaspora of near-miss-genocided peoples

I'm at the combination MIC honey pit and diaspora of near-miss genocided peoples

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

The Merriam Wibster dictionary describes diaspora as- (chokes, sprays milk through nose) HUHH?!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

The Merriam Wibster dictionary describes diaspora as- (chokes, sprays milk through nose) HUHH?!

Did somebody say "Big Israel"?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Those mercs all look like they lift weights. Not sure whether that's good

that and ‘roids

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's so cool that you can be part of a nation based on your race and religion and have an assumed loyalty to a country no matter what other country you're a citizen of that's not gonna be a problem ever I bet.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

It's so cool that you can be part of a nation based on your race and religion and have an assumed loyalty to a country no matter what other country you're a citizen of that's not gonna be a problem ever I bet.

idk if youve spent much time in the usa and canada but doing race science on yourself to determine your political allegiances is kind of a white person special move over here

love to become the far right of a country youve never visited to fill the black pit completely vacant of identity or purpose in your soul

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

stephenthinkpad posted:

The US don't give a poo poo about end user phone sales, they really want to shut down the Huawei global telecom equiotment sales. What happened is that Huawei spinned off half of their smartphone division, but slightly gained telecom market share since the sanctions.

Also this is the US fighting back against China producing everything and thereby enabling the CPC to capture and control a larger percentage of the surplus. Same with the trade war and tariffs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Also this is the US fighting back against China producing everything and thereby enabling the CPC to capture and control a larger percentage of the surplus. Same with the trade war and tariffs.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the high value stuff is still being produced by the USA, but china is increasingly reaching parity

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
This past week the Holodomor industry kicked up overdrive in Europe, every two dime journalist is now very aware of it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jel Shaker posted:

the high value stuff is still being produced by the USA, but china is increasingly reaching parity

The Americans thought they figured it out by only keeping the high value portion of the service such as Apple is keeping the software portion high profile and moved everything manufacturing out of the country. Except China is getting so good at manufacturing now they completely copied the know-how in 2 years and outselling the US branded stuff overseas, see the EV industry.

However telecom equipment sanction is not about fighting over the profitable portion in the supply chain, it's 100% about NSA losting the back doors.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I saw a propaganda video that mentioned a few times the suppression of the Ukrainian language, I tried finding some of the government decrees it claimed but so far no luck. I did find this paper (?) from a Japanese scholar hosted on the university website. There is a summary in English at the bottom. Numbers 1 through 8 in the lower half link to different sections of the same page with data tables that seem to machine translate nicely.

https://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/publictn/46/shiokawa/shiokawa.html

I have not yet read the long form pages, but the summary seems pretty good.

first paragraph of English summary posted:

Hitherto, Soviet language policy was often interpreted to be aimed at"Russification."Although this viewpoint is not entirely groundless, it is often exaggerated and tends to lead to a one-sided picture. It is true that many non-Russian nationalities in the Soviet Union have been, more or less, linguistically russified. But it cannot be denied that some nationalities, especially those with Union republics, have retained their national languages to a fairly high degree. Thus, it is necessary to investigate the language situation more fully on the basis of empirical data.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Honest Thief posted:

This past week the Holodomor industry kicked up overdrive in Europe, every two dime journalist is now very aware of it

It's a big push everywhere in the west, it seems. Canadians, being babies, got picture books.

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/illustrating-holodomor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Huawei stuff is just another manifestation of the US not actually believing in any of the capitalist ideology it extols*, because what they're doing is realizing that Huawei has a better product, and instead of trying to compete on fair terms, they'll just use their geopolitical power to force their vassals to stop using the competitor's products at gunpoint, under the guise of raising bogus concerns about security and spying.

It's similar to how the California agriculture industry lobbies the US government to maintain sanctions on Iran, because it prevents Iran from getting to compete in pistachios.

When two sub-national business firms get into this kind of fight, you get things like starting a rumor that your competitor's cookies are poisoned, or you pay off the local chief of police to hassle your competitor's factory, or you actually do send someone to poison the cookies.

When imperial forces get into this kind of fight, you get the First World War.

___

* EDIT: in parallel, there's also that old video of an American political analyst outright saying that even if China adopted the US Constitution whole cloth and became a liberal democracy (somehow), that the US would still fight and suppress them because the development of a peer power is not acceptable, and is not an issue of anything else that country is or does besides being a peer power. And this ties back to Russia because the collapse of communism there didn't actually stop America from poking the bear.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Nov 27, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Huawei stuff is just another manifestation of the US not actually believing in any of the capitalist ideology it extols*, because what they're doing is realizing that Huawei has a better product, and instead of trying to compete on fair terms, they'll just use their geopolitical power to force their vassals to stop using the competitor's products at gunpoint, under the guise of raising bogus concerns about security and spying.

It's similar to how the California agriculture industry lobbies the US government to maintain sanctions on Iran, because it prevents Iran from getting to compete in pistachios.

When two sub-national business firms get into this kind of fight, you get things like starting a rumor that your competitor's cookies are poisoned, or you pay off the local chief of police to hassle your competitor's factory, or you actually do send someone to poison the cookies.

When imperial forces get into this kind of fight, you get the First World War.

does huawei actually have a better product in 2022? i thought they had been surpassed by (domestic) companies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

even if China adopted the US Constitution whole cloth and became a liberal democracy (somehow), that the US would still fight and suppress them because the development of a peer power is not acceptable, and is not an issue of anything else that country is or does besides being a peer power. And this ties back to Russia because the collapse of communism there didn't actually stop America from poking the bear.[/i]
lol ya that do be happenin'

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Tell me about it...Holodomor production has nearly tripled in some countries

It's nice that it's driving down the price, I guess

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

does huawei actually have a better product in 2022? i thought they had been surpassed by (domestic) companies

they beat the West to widely-available 5G networking hardware. I don't know if someone like Qualcomm has managed to catch up since. I like their phones but that's not really what the issue is about.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

they beat the West to widely-available 5G networking hardware. I don't know if someone like Qualcomm has managed to catch up since. I like their phones but that's not really what the issue is about.

yeah fair, i don't know the industrial economics

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

quote:

In addition, since the ratio of Russians is generally higher in urban areas than in rural areas, it overlaps with the problems of urban and rural areas that I mentioned earlier. In Ukraine, the contrast between the West and the East, South, and Crimea will become a problem, and in Kazakhstan, the contrast between the North and the South, as well as the contrast between cities and rural areas, will occupy a large position.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1596544741310857216

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
huwaei phones being sold without access to google services is crazy, why would anyone buy them now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

huwaei phones being sold without access to google services is crazy, why would anyone buy them now?

There are ways around it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I can't tell if Stephen King believes a woman would be more or less capable at running the war than Putin.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if Russia was being rule by Queen Victoria than this war would have been over in a month

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
stephen king believes a woman would have mobilized one million troops and launched a deep battle operation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
To be fair, Huawei phones absolutely have backdoors in them. Both Chinese and US backdoors. The US intelligence industry has so badly compromised tech that even Chinese built phones have US backdoors in them. It's not really surprising that they don't want any competition in that market though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

lmao i would easily pay twice the listed price for a product that was 100% free of google poo poo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

lmao i would easily pay twice the listed price for a product that was 100% free of google poo poo

Unfortunately that still means Huaweis own poo poo is in there. Not sure what the alternative for a proper open phone is these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tfw twice means x8