Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't know if the Ogryn talent that makes grenade boxes break open and explode when you hit large enemies is actually good but it's certainly entertaining. Nailing a Crusher in the face used to knock it down, now it dies along with everything around it.

The VS enemy Ogryn one is probably the more objectively useful one but yes, nailing some armored dipshit in the middle of a horde, giving them permanent brain trauma, and then vaporizing the horde after feels incredibly satisfying. Also the grenades ain't bad against bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

tehinternet posted:

Weird. I love seeing them with a shield, especially if they can hold a door during a horde. Use melee, warp or energy weapons, problem solved. Ogryn has never blocked my voidstaff :colbert:

Yeah I just stop shooting and fire up the power sword for some truly epic heavy attacks where ten dudes fly in half.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

toasterwarrior posted:

The VS enemy Ogryn one is probably the more objectively useful one but yes, nailing some armored dipshit in the middle of a horde, giving them permanent brain trauma, and then vaporizing the horde after feels incredibly satisfying. Also the grenades ain't bad against bosses.

Oh yeah, nailing an assassination target with it in the dome once his shield goes down is incredibly useful, since it'll do extra damage to him and almost certainly annihilate a bunch of his reinforcements as they drop down since the grenades pop off one at a time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Veteran with bolter and Ogryn with grenade feat are a fantastic pair to utterly obliterate plague ogryns and beasts of nurgle. Comically fast kills on 3

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I gotta say the Thunder Hammer is extremely underwhelming. The charge being actively terrible at dealing with hordes is miserable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

S.J. posted:

I gotta say the Thunder Hammer is extremely underwhelming. The charge being actively terrible at dealing with hordes is miserable.

True but I've seen it hit daemonhosts and that's very handy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

True but I've seen it hit daemonhosts and that's very handy.

Or at least it was handy for about an hour when that was still around :(

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Turns out Ogryn laugh off the health reduction from grims even when stacking, it's very funny

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats the highest item power anyone has seen on a curio? I've got an orange 99 one is 100 the cap or is it higher? I wanna start crafting abuncha orange curios but i wanna know what the cap is so whether i should just upgrade blue ones with the stats i want or wait to get higher power ones with good stats.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arghy posted:

Whats the highest item power anyone has seen on a curio? I've got an orange 99 one is 100 the cap or is it higher? I wanna start crafting abuncha orange curios but i wanna know what the cap is so whether i should just upgrade blue ones with the stats i want or wait to get higher power ones with good stats.

124 or so I think?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

drat it oh well guess i'll get 30 and wait until i see some purple ones to see how high i can get em. I wish they'd put the other crafting stuff in because i'm not gonna gently caress with it until i get the highest item power otherwise it'd be a waste.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

My review of psyker staves
Trauma: Creates a circular detonation. The charge time determines the damage and size of circle. Poor damage, circle is too small, and charge time is excessive. Terrible.
Purgation: Not great. Shorter range flamethrower. Does awful damage to armored ogryn, does not pass through enemy shields. Specials will run around and keep wrecking your team while bathing in warp fire. Excels at killing hordes though.
Voidstrike: Pretty fun. Fires an exploding warp ball that will travel through team members harmlessly and blow up packs on a full charge. Will not pass through enemy shields, but it does pass through armor, so headshots will always do more damage.
Surge: Chain lightning damages and stuns multiple enemies in a very wide area (limit of 5 or 6 I think). Passes through armor and shields. Does pretty good damage on a full charge, but I mostly spam stuns.

IMO, surge is the best on malice+. You can have 4 specials or a group of gunmen in the area and easily stunlock them all while your team finishes them off safely. You can neutralize terrible situations and carry a mediocre team to victory.

Voidstrike is fun but not as useful. Your team must protect you well so you can reach full charge on your shots. When you're winning voidstrike helps you win even faster. When you're getting mobbed by the horde and armored specials and start getting hit it doesn't contribute much.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 27, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Magitek posted:

Not exactly.
The current phenomenon of getting the same Quickplay map multiple times in a row simply sucks.

Just wanted to say thanks for explaining this. I agree, it sucks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://youtu.be/Rs18z4HJAlM

S.J.
May 19, 2008

thank you for this

Orv
May 4, 2011

It’s kind of great-awful how well these work.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I main Ogryn and I don't like the shield, it has it uses but it's too restrictive. Ogryn is a really mobile class, The animations makes him look really heavy and slow but moves at the same speed as everyone and with the charge you can go anywhere you want or you are needed.

The only real use of the shield is in pub groups where no one is taking care of shooting at the ranged enemies so I can charge and stop them. In any group that knows how to deal with ranged threats all the other weapons are vastly superior.

And like others said the best way to play Ogryn is be wherever you are needed instead of always be in the front. Also +Wounds equipment is really really good on Ogryn.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Shield is extremely hype if a Daemonhost is targeting you, you can tank them almost forever with the special action that plants the shield and roots you. The corruption will get you eventually but ogryn have a lot of hp so your group should really be able to kill it before then

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

for some reason I got this cheev as Ogryn??

I definitely didnt land every hit. I was grouped with two veterans though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

S.J. posted:

It has grown on me since I hit level 30 and started doing 4* and 5* missions. Using a braced autogun as my main weapon annihilates anything that doesn't have carapace armor, and the thunder hammer on switch annihilates anything with carapace armor.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYgaBWDy48
Wut.

Well now i know but gently caress if they roll this out without telling anyone about this they can get hosed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arghy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYgaBWDy48
Wut.

Well now i know but gently caress if they roll this out without telling anyone about this they can get hosed.

They did a huge blog post yesterday on all of that that the youtuber is pulling from.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 27, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

S.J. posted:

The charge isn’t for dealing with hordes. That’s for single target ragdolling. Pair it with a horde clearing range weapon (flamerrrr). Chained heavy attacks work fine for hordes in any case.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Uuuuuh, I think the "Lacerate" trait on daggers is bugged and triggers off its own bleed ticks.
Try hitting an enemy once with it, and watch the bleed damage ticks become higher and higher until it hits the max (seems to be 30).

It's right now the way Zealot stays viable in high level missions since he has so many bleed-talents that synergize with it, but it's probably not a intended interaction.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

every weapon in this game feels like it was balanced by a different person with a different idea of how difficult the game should be. like the disparity between the weapons is insane and i dont know how they got this far in development without realising that

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm gonna take my ogryn into difficulty 4 and 5 missions. Anything I need to know that's different, like how from 2 to 3, riflemen become dangerous as all hell?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They’re currently permanently set to Endless Hordes and multiple mini-bosses can spawn per run. Other than that, larger profusion of elites, ranged and specials.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

every weapon in this game feels like it was balanced by a different person with a different idea of how difficult the game should be. like the disparity between the weapons is insane and i dont know how they got this far in development without realising that

It's a weird thing to balance imo. It may level out towards endgame but at level 20 I'm like of course a power sword is better than a knife or a shovel. The guns all seem pretty decent except for the finicky charge up lasgun though. Some stuff seems a bit one note but I'm sure they'll balance it out more over time.

I personally hope they don't go too far flattening out the weapons. Just make the weaker ones better at specific things.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

A couple of combat barks I noticed today.

Psyker- "worship me or die!" She also referred to the Emperor as "the Carrion Emperor" in a dialogue

Zealot- "blood for the Emperor, skulls for the golden throne!"(variation of the famous Khornate "blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne")

:ninja::devil::ninja::devil::ninja::devil:

Orv
May 4, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

A couple of combat barks I noticed today.

Psyker- "worship me or die!" She also referred to the Emperor as "the Carrion Emperor" in a dialogue

Zealot- "blood for the Emperor, skulls for the golden throne!"(variation of the famous Khornate "blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne")

:ninja::devil::ninja::devil::ninja::devil:

The solipsistic Psyker personality is 24/7 preaching truth to heresy in my experience. Also has a good combat bark of something like “The Imperium was born in blood, it thrives on blood and it will drown in blood.”

:staredog: Yeah man, yeah.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Upgraded my voidstrike staff and it got the 4.5% peril reduction on weakspot

I’ve actually recovered 20% peril when shooting into hordes, literal nonstop railgunning owns

Positioning yourself perpendicular to the frontline and angling the detonation downwards so the frontline horde falls is helpful for special targeting

The lightning staff has some uses, especially when 4 specials show up that are slightly spread out, but voidstrike clears hordes on it’s own (at *any* range) if you remember that it’s a railgun that staggers everything near the detonation site. The lightning staff is also more useful with spread out common units (like near the end of a horde).

The best time I’ve had on rank 4 has been me with the voidstrike, another psyker with the lightning staff, a zealot with an eviscerator and a sharpshooter with what I believe was the Mk XII. Zealot is best in game frontline IMO and allows hordes to clump while the psykers gently caress everything up and the sharpshooter dunks on specials.

Tl;dr: this game owns and has some super dope weapons in it and those two staves compliment each other perfectly

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

The charge isn’t for dealing with hordes. That’s for single target ragdolling. Pair it with a horde clearing range weapon (flamerrrr). Chained heavy attacks work fine for hordes in any case.
They work well for knocking down hordes, but will only really kill to one pox walker at a time while tickling the rest. Not just that but the knocked down zombies being scattered all over the place can be downright detrimental, since there's a good chance one gets knocked down behind you and hit you in the back after it stands up.
It's also terrible at dealing with hordes mixed with elites, as unlike with the Eviscerator or Power Sword you have no good way to guarantee that your special attack hits the target you want.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted the Thunder Hammer to be good but it just doesn't cut the mustard on Heresy+. All it really does well is take down monstrosities, which is alright I guess but that's like 5% of a run.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Learned that the accatran viia has undocumented punch through. It takes two ammo per shot compared to some other accatrans single ammo cost, but it has somewhere around a 5-10 foot punch through on unarmored and flak targets, seems like the maulers and ragers still stop it though. Interesting, changes my calculus on which variant is better a tiny bit.

Kantrael for instance also has a tiny bit of punch through but only on unyielding, infested and flak stops the punch, the accatran viia has punch through on all of that.

Odd. This might be related to the collateral stat but the difference is pretty small between my 2 versions of the vid and the viia. Seems like I'd say for elite killing the vid is better with the higher dps, but for counter shooting and horde clearing the viia is better, at least if this isn't just related to the rolls on my guns.

Fuel to the fire for the Kantrael vs Accatran fight: Despite having less dps than the vid, the viia still has comparable dps to the kantrael xiiis headshots just through bodyshotting alone. Less ammo efficient, but requires less accuracy on target.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 27, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011
Part of why I like the XII is that it one taps regular ranged to the body outside of Volley Fire. Huge draw for me since I have to fight my brain on going for headshots anyway. E: It also one taps all dreg and scab basic units to the thigh regardless of anything but that can be kind of hard to hit outside of the psykhanium.

E2: Can confirm your findings at least. VIIa has flak punch through, except on scab melee for some reason? Probable oversight. XII has unarmored and unyielding punch through. VId appears to only have punch through on groaners and not unarmored dregs.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 27, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did they nerf Counterfire? It doesn't reset the duration when you shoot highlighted scab shooters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Did they nerf Counterfire? It doesn't reset the duration when you shoot highlighted scab shooters.

It's been broken the whole time, they know about it and it should be in the next patch.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

It's been broken the whole time, they know about it and it should be in the next patch.

Oh okay, I thought it was weird that it works fine in the psychana.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/z5h8zv/fatshark_please_fix_this/

Well, glad to know I haven't been hallucinating these. I guess I can see why the game does it, but it does feel a bit much at the moment and I'm really hoping it's a bug. VT had a lot of "turn around and get stabbed in the rear end" moments, but nothing as ridiculous as this, especially without any obvious spawn points close by.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Okay the testing area is pretty great. My power sword is by far my best melee weapon and it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

they will have to nerf the power sword. its fucken stupid. I just hope that it being that good doesn't get vet nerfed in other ways that it shouldn't