Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

But enough about Ian Levine ...

What's that? An incredibly tenuous excuse to post this? Okay if you insist!

God bless Forktoss :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Rewatched New Earth the other day and even though it's clearly nonsense it's nonsense that actually works as a story, with strong characterisation, foreshadowing and all that business. Really puts the Chibnall era into perspective.

That's the one with the cat nurses, and the Doctor ends up pouring all the cures into a giant vat (the elevator?) and using it to make an EveryCure for the EveryDisease?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Don't know if this says more about me than the writing, but the bit in 'New Earth' where everyone started singing, that apparently was meant to show human resilience and unity under pressure? I thought they were under some kind of evil religious mind control.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

I still don't know if you're doing a bit.

Post history shows inactivity since 2021 with a few short posts prior to that in threads titled AMA I’m a Time Traveler and Proof of Time Travel, mocking the OP of those threads, Tapes From the Future.

Recent history is two cryptic posts (one looks like a hash) followed by what we’re getting, which is Tapes From the Future right down to the same website with that name attached.

Tapes has been probated for “get help” reasons but not banned, so I don’t know why they’d be posting using another account. I don’t think there’s much we can do to assist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

Post history shows inactivity since 2021 with a few short posts prior to that in threads titled AMA I’m a Time Traveler and Proof of Time Travel, mocking the OP of those threads, Tapes From the Future.

Recent history is two cryptic posts (one looks like a hash) followed by what we’re getting, which is Tapes From the Future right down to the same website with that name attached.

Tapes has been probated for “get help” reasons but not banned, so I don’t know why they’d be posting using another account. I don’t think there’s much we can do to assist.

Has anyone contacted the CIA (Celestial Intervention Agency)?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Payndz posted:

Don't know if this says more about me than the writing, but the bit in 'New Earth' where everyone started singing, that apparently was meant to show human resilience and unity under pressure? I thought they were under some kind of evil religious mind control.

That was ‘Gridlock’, the sequel from the following season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I do love that when the Doctor finds the cat nurse in Gridlock he's all happy to recognize her, then abruptly remembers,"Hang on, we're enemies!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The annual Chicago Tardis con is this weekend, and came across this photo on social media, of a group of fans with Sylvester and Sophie:

https://twitter.com/Yayxlife/status/1596626785260691456?s=20&t=eUP5firKHEVBNgp-lcL2jw

Syl's a madman!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was right, they are Ace! :hellyeah:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

god Daleks in Manhattan is loving shite isn't it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

god Daleks in Manhattan is loving shite isn't it
We were all excited for Art Deco Daleks and instead we got Penis-Face Kaled :negative:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Edward Mass posted:

Oh yeah, huh. Forgot there were two not very good far-future stories with cat people.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Also in Eccleston's season he had a bad bout of flu or something, unrelated to the anorexia I think, and was also providing a shoulder to cry on for Piper, who was going through her divorce to Chris Evans. Adding all that to the other problems, I don't blame him for finding it a miserable experience.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Beyond that though, in the last couple of years it's come out that Noel Clarke acts very inappropriately on set (not just on Doctor Who, but also on his own productions where he was the driving force behind some apparently very misogynistic behavior), and John Barrowman had a "hilarious" reputation for just taking his cock out and slapping it around on people's shoulders and near their faces.

Clarke has some very serious allegations around his own productions Guardian write up from last year. Nothing specific to his time on Doctor Who but I can't imagine he fostered a positive environment and given the clips of him laughing about Barrowman getting his dick out I can only see the pair of them as a toxic mix.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wolfechu posted:

Also in Eccleston's season he had a bad bout of flu or something, unrelated to the anorexia I think, and was also providing a shoulder to cry on for Piper, who was going through her divorce to Chris Evans. Adding all that to the other problems, I don't blame him for finding it a miserable experience.

Wait, that Chris Evans?

All things considered, not the weirdest connection between corners of media that I thought were unrelated, but still a surprising one for me. Huh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cleretic posted:

Wait, that Chris Evans?

The BBC presenter and brief post-Clarkson Top Gear host.

Apparently they met and started dating when she was 17 and married when she was 18 :yikes:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Even with the noncey vibes from Evans marrying someone half his age (Billie had just turned eighteen when they started dating, IIRC), on balance he’s still most likely a better person than her second husband.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TinTower posted:

Even with the noncey vibes from Evans marrying someone half his age (Billie had just turned eighteen when they started dating, IIRC), on balance he’s still most likely a better person than her second husband.
Evans seems like a nasty, bullying egotist, but at least he's not a straight-up fascist!

It doesn't say much for Piper's bad-person alarms, though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Could be worse, though, it could be Saraya in AEW. Now there’s someone with a really bad radar.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Wait, that Chris Evans?

All things considered, not the weirdest connection between corners of media that I thought were unrelated, but still a surprising one for me. Huh.

If you think thats weird, he was first married to Carol McGiffin, who is mostly known as the man hater on Loose Women.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

According to Bob Mortimer, Chris Evans is himself one of those people who find it hilarious to get their cock out and put it on people’s shoulder etc.

One imagines Piper was pretty tired of the bit by the time she was on Doctor Who.

E: they’re bad, but I will defend the Daleks In Manhattan episodes if only for the moment when one of the Daleks checks there’s no-one listening behind him.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 27, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Payndz posted:

Oh yeah, huh. Forgot there were two not very good far-future stories with cat people.

Keep Gridlock's name out of your mouth!

Honestly, New Earth isn't even that bad either. It helps that Series 2 is a particularly dire series, but the body-switching stuff is fun. But Gridlock is a fantastic episode. Even the hymn works, IMO. I love all the little vignettes we get about the various drivers, and the final scene of the Doctor finally opening up to Martha about their memories of Gallifrey is wonderful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Finally have listened to an 8th Doctor story I actively didn't like. And it sucks cause it's one of my favorite TARDIS teams of all time. The Dalby Spook was just so....mediocre, and 8 was so out of character. Does he sometimes get a little too self assured and convinced he's right? Of course, that's something most of the incarnations fall prey to at some point. But I've never really heard him completely dismiss his companion's very real concerns without there being something like undue psychic influence or something.

Wet fart to end the set on -- Paradox of the Daleks was big fun.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's been a long standing rumour that there are at least seven episodes in private collector's hands, who refuse to allow them to be copied and returned and someone pinched the missing episode of the Web of Fear when it was being collected for copying and returning to the BBC.

Most of the Commonwealth archives have been exhausted now, so only missing episodes are probably going to come from private collectors, people who fished them out of the skip when they were thrown out, or mislabeled or misplaced reels.

But you never know, apparently that Australian collector was experimenting with video recording when the end of the Second Doctor era was shown there, so you never know....

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Payndz posted:

It doesn't say much for Piper's bad-person alarms, though.

Lol wtf is wrong with you

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy 7-year anniversary to Heaven Sent

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vinylshadow posted:

gently caress, the better part of a decade, my god

what an all-timer though

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I've had at this point a dozen tedious arguments with a fellow nerd friend of mine who doesn't like that episode specifically because he hates "Hell Bent". I don't mind that episode and I get not liking it, but I mean, Heaven Sent is a goddamn masterpiece.

That's Moffat's best ep right? For his various showrunning shenanigans and how much up his own rear end he'd jump some times, he still managed to pull out some spectacular stuff.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 28, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Seven years? Get back to us in a few hundred million and you've got something.

Is there another point in the show where it dared to do something like that out of something besides desperation (thinking of Midnight as a recent example in that category)?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
My only problem with Heaven Sent and Hell Bent is that I never remember which is which - one is Capaldi living for billions of years and absolutely amazing, the other is complete nonsense and ends with Clara getting to play Doctor Who with Maisie Williams in their own diner TARDIS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hell Bent's greatest sin is coming after possibly the best single episode in the history of the show.

When something's in the running like that, you don't wanna' follow it.

DinerTARDIS was great.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Clouseau posted:

That's Moffat's best ep right? For his various showrunning shenanigans and how much up his own rear end he'd jump some times, he still managed to pull out some spectacular stuff.

It's a toss-up between that and "Day of the Doctor," with "Blink" as the maybe-overrated-but-still-viable underdog waiting in the wings.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My wife and I have been catching up on Who since we remembered the Doctor was supposed to regenerate again and wanted to see how we got there. However, what was the overall reception to the most recent season?

The Chibnall era has been a real letdown to me because I've thought the writing and pacing has been mostly bad with a few good episodes here and there. But the last season was wildly confusing and convoluted to the point where I am downright hate-watching it right now. I think I have one episode to go, but it's like everytime they resolve one plot, someone else pops up out of nowhere twirling their mustache and revealing a whole new bad thing that ends up getting resolved in the silliest way.

The whole flux thing just seemed like a massive waste of time as an excuse to introduce as many villains as possible no matter how little sense it made. Even the characterization of the familiar villains all seemed out of whack.

I guess my point in bringing this up is I'm wondering if I'm being unfair because I've disliked this season way more than I ever expected.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doronin posted:

My wife and I have been catching up on Who since we remembered the Doctor was supposed to regenerate again and wanted to see how we got there. However, what was the overall reception to the most recent season?

The Chibnall era has been a real letdown to me because I've thought the writing and pacing has been mostly bad with a few good episodes here and there. But the last season was wildly confusing and convoluted to the point where I am downright hate-watching it right now. I think I have one episode to go, but it's like everytime they resolve one plot, someone else pops up out of nowhere twirling their mustache and revealing a whole new bad thing that ends up getting resolved in the silliest way.

The whole flux thing just seemed like a massive waste of time as an excuse to introduce as many villains as possible no matter how little sense it made. Even the characterization of the familiar villains all seemed out of whack.

I guess my point in bringing this up is I'm wondering if I'm being unfair because I've disliked this season way more than I ever expected.

overall reception not good generally but people in the thread are willing to defend a few episodes or scenes here and there

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
General consensus was that Village of the Angels was the best episode, and probably one of Whittaker’s best over her entire run. But yeah, the Flux stuff is just oof bad. There’s bright spots, like the sugar skull gang, but stuff just happens and there’s no lead in or follow through and it’s just a mess.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A good portion of the universe is literally dead at the end of the Flux and this never gets resolved.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As someone who's only experience of Flux has been skimming this thread, I have to know: are they really called the sugar skull gang

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No, but they look like this.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

No, but they look like this.

Dammit am I gonna have to watch Flux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If Hellraiser was made during the 70s UK 'Confessions of a X' softcore period.