Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Been slowly painting up a lance of 'Mechs in Constructicon colors, and this is my latest finished model, a Centurion Scrapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Rorahusky posted:

Been slowly painting up a lance of 'Mechs in Constructicon colors, and this is my latest finished model, a Centurion Scrapper

A.k.a the Green Goblin :P

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally got my first physical game in.

Locust scored two kills on me. The same Locust. Including one on a Cyclops. To my credit, the Cyclops had already had the armor peeled from almost every location and was missing both arms, and it was a 3-mech team effort, but still. Give that guy a fancy base.

Went well overall though. Lost but it was fun.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Finally have time to start painting again, going to finish my Direct Fire Lance in Swordsworn colors (Blue and Green), got some purple and gold at a hobby store recently, those are Marik primary colors right? Tempted to start painting all future minis Marik colors as Green and Blue seem a little boring.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 21, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When I think of League units, I usually think of purple and white. I suppose that's more specifically the Free Worlds Guard though. The Marik Militia uses a purple base with blue highlights on one side and red highlights on the other. And then most of the provincial forces don't use purple at all.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 21, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

When I think of League units, I usually think of purple and white. I suppose that's more specifically the Free Worlds Guard though. The Marik Militia uses a purple base with blue highlights on one side and red highlights on the other. And then most of the provincial forces don't use purple at all.

Purple blue and red sounds pretty cool. Hurm.

When I get the Alpha Strike box and the Mercs Kickstarter I may just paint them whatever colors my son thinks are cool and call them a mercenary company.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Marik Militia do look pretty great.

They're like the grape police.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I got the Humble Bundle with the code for a Beginner's Box, it said in the email there aren't any more beginner boxes available to January, yet on the Catalyst website it seems they're in stock? How does one use the code?

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't check because I took Humble Bundle at their word that they wouldn't be back until January. Just got my order in too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've been checking off and on for the past several months, and the Hammerhead is finally back in stock if anyone missed out on it the first time!

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/battletech-new-arrivals/products/hammerhead-premium-miniature

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Finished a full lance of my Constructicon-themed Battlemechs,

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Where's the best place to order the upcoming Alpha Strike Box?

I see on here they're offering a discount, 60 for all those mechs + cards seems like a deal. https://www.fortressminiaturesandgames.com/products/battletech-alpha-strike-box-set

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Rorahusky posted:

Yknow this is a small thing but the gold on the bases looks really nice. I might have to start doing that just so it's clear which direction is facing forward. It can be tough to tell on some of these minis, especially when you assembled them in a torso twist pose.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Marx Headroom posted:

Yknow this is a small thing but the gold on the bases looks really nice. I might have to start doing that just so it's clear which direction is facing forward. It can be tough to tell on some of these minis, especially when you assembled them in a torso twist pose.

Yup, that's why I did the hazard lines on mine. Some mechs could easily go one of two different facings and it prevents any questions.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vtXiuwZ.mp4

Just a few more and you'll have the whole set!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup, that's why I did the hazard lines on mine. Some mechs could easily go one of two different facings and it prevents any questions.

One of the first things I do to differentiate minis when I have multiples is pose one with the torso twisted, so that's a real necessity there.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Debating between Triarii Protectors or Hastati Sentinels for next set of mechs to paint, as I can do both Clan and Inner Sphere based on the Republic lore. I think Triarii Protectors seem more fun.
https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2018/12/26/triarii-protectors/
https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2018/12/26/hastati-sentinels/

Might do a Knight or two as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd vote for the Triarii Protectors, in part because you listed it first which makes me think they're you're preference; but also because I find Black + Accent Color boring to look at (even if black and gold is really nice).

Red + Gold can be the Triarii Protectors, Stefan Amaris VII's The (Fake) Knights of the Inner Sphere, or the 1st Sword of Light as needed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also the Red Lancers. Additionally you could use it for one of the Skye Ranger regiments that doesn't have a canonical accent color, probably the 1st, 10th or 25th.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you're really a Republic guy you've got to be obsessed with the Capellans, so go Red Lancers

No I'm not projecting shut up

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Alright, sounds like Red and Gold Triarii Protectors win out. The few, the brave, the overworked constantly left behind to die Triarii regiments while Hastati pulled back behind the Fortress will ride again!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Crossposting this from the Classic BT FB group because it’s a discussion I want to have

What’s the best part of BattleTech’s gameplay? A lot of people say ”you come for the mechs, you stay for the lore”, but I wanted to think about very specifically the moment-to-moment gameplay, because I do think BattleTech is a fun game to play on the tabletop. I found precious little discussion on this on YouTube at least and decided to throw in my two cents with a short talk.

The gameplay elements I chose to talk about in the video are:
1. Initiative (as in: not IGYG, but the simultaneousness of it all)
2. Damage (how it affects gameplay and even more how immersive it is)
3. Movement and positioning (the absolute core of BT’s tactical gameplay, really the gameplay element the game is ”about”)

I recorded this somewhat spontaneously last week and now that I listen back to it, there’s a lot more I could have talked about when it comes to those three things. But maybe it’s a decent opener for a discussion.

What do you think is the best part of actually playing BT on the tabletop?

https://youtu.be/_rJ1IwUOnjs

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

a cyborg mug posted:

Crossposting this from the Classic BT FB group because it’s a discussion I want to have

What’s the best part of BattleTech’s gameplay? A lot of people say ”you come for the mechs, you stay for the lore”, but I wanted to think about very specifically the moment-to-moment gameplay, because I do think BattleTech is a fun game to play on the tabletop. I found precious little discussion on this on YouTube at least and decided to throw in my two cents with a short talk.

The gameplay elements I chose to talk about in the video are:
1. Initiative (as in: not IGYG, but the simultaneousness of it all)
2. Damage (how it affects gameplay and even more how immersive it is)
3. Movement and positioning (the absolute core of BT’s tactical gameplay, really the gameplay element the game is ”about”)

I recorded this somewhat spontaneously last week and now that I listen back to it, there’s a lot more I could have talked about when it comes to those three things. But maybe it’s a decent opener for a discussion.

What do you think is the best part of actually playing BT on the tabletop?

https://youtu.be/_rJ1IwUOnjs

I haven't played the game yet as an adult, but as a teenager, the "marking in dots" version of damage resolution, combined with the gradual degredation of mechs as they gets torn up, was more enjoyable than the more binary wound management of Warhammer and its ilk. Thinking of it, I've also always liked video game bosses where you can incapacitate arms, legs, weapons etc. instead of just being one big pile of HPs that you need to get down to zero.

And that's not just battletech, I also like it in other games, such as Trafalgar or many historical dogfighting games where you track damage on your ships, planes etc. the same way.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, it's the granularity of damage and the way that random poo poo breaks. Odds are, your favorite moment you've ever had was because of some crazy lucky shot or something that kept avoiding that deadly crit no matter what. It's why Alpha Strike doesn't appeal to me, that's all gone, but without the bonkers scale of BattleForce.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, like I say in the video, the damage is definitely the most fun part of BT’s gameplay.

Damage = most fun
Movement & positioning = most interesting, the tactical meat of the game
Initiative/alternating activation = ties the simulation together

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Heat and weapon management is my favorite part.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Making laser and missile sounds is mine.

But the damage management and stuff is what sets it apart. When me and my bros started playing we debated between classic and alpha strike and the damage system in alpha strike just seemed lacking.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LB 20-X cluster damage resolution > everything else.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I love the movement more than anything.

The damage resolution is fun but it's basically random chance, carefully maneuvering to get (or deny) the good shots is my favorite part of the game.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I will say as someone who played CBT 1-2 times and has stuck with clix (Although with the Alpha Strike box set I'm going to get some folks into that I think), I will definitely say the granular damage system, and the ability to keep on fighting while your mechs' armor is run ragged from shots was the most appealing part of CBT play. The idea that I could win a match with basically a walking skeleton just seems really cool, and one drawback of the clix system was that sometimes entire matches could be won just based on who hit first (Since that damage was applied immediately, and you were starting your turn with a degraded dial.

I still prefer clix's quick play and combined-arms aspect to BT, but I can respect BT's goals.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I love the simultaneous fire in AS. In X-wing, pilot initiative is a thing that can potentially have a ship dead before it ever had a chance to shoot, which can feel pretty dirty sometimes (but lead to some higher risks, too).

The pilot skills there run 1-6, with 6 being your god-tier pilots (Wedge Antilles, Vader, etc) and 1 being a fresh academy grad that barely knows their flight controls. Combat runs on pilot initiative, starting at the top (shoot with all the 6’s across both sides, then the 5’s, and so on). Named pilots often have some pilot ability, and some of those make them even more lethal beyond their high initiative.

High-initiative pilots killing low-initiative pilots has been a core part of the game since it came out, but it still feels a little dirty sometimes. I might just feel that way because I like flying piles of TIE craft with no-name pilots (no shields, no problems! :black101: )

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the damage and movement, and I also really like the individual pilots having skills and even SPAs.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My next IS company has a color scheme picked out by my SO and god drat it orange is a pain in the rear end to paint

WHY are orange and yellow paints like this? I don’t have this problem with any other colors. You need a million layers to have something close to acceptable coverage.

Color scheme is great though, will post a photo when my Hunchback and her Raven (her first time ever painting) are done. Teal/orange/black, maybe white for the cockpits

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The bits of yellow pigment in there are translucent, and to add insult to injury lots of paints have blue in them which shows up as a sickly green when you put yellow on top.

Use a layer of pink flesh tone under the yellow, it'll help so much.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

What colour are you priming? Prime white if you are using yellows. It's the only way to not go insane.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My favorite part of AS is the lance formation bonuses. It's like you're building a fighting game character with 4-5 moves that go at different speeds and damage, and some of the moves have little bonuses like Overheat and Indirect Fire. Would have been cool to see lance bonuses in HBS Battletech.

Also a good excuse to buy more minis. I need more of these for my lance, I swear.

I prefer CBT at the end of the day but I'll never turn down an AS game, it's super fun.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The lance abilities are super fun and make me scratch my head that the popular fan-made tournament format doesn't use them. That's the whole point of putting together cool and flavorful lances!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The lance abilities are super fun but they're not in any single way actually balanced against each other which make them a pretty terrible inclusion for what should at least have the veneer of trying to present a balanced competitive environment.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If I were to get the new Alphastrike boxed set...what other books and rules are also needed? I get the impression you also need the commanders book (if you want to play with tanks?) and another book for the mech rules. And the website to choose the mech and print it out.

This is unnecessarily complicated.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

AFAIK you’ll just want the AS Commander’s Edition.

If I’ve understood correctly, the rules in the box set are going to be the quick-start rules found on CGL’s website: https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/Alpha%20Strike%20Quick%20Start%20Rules%202019-08.pdf

What those rules don’t have are rules for everything that’s not mechs and also the full gamut of special abilities in the game. I’m gonna guess the box set will only have mechs with those ”introductory” special abilities, so you’ll need the special abilities in the Commander’s Edition to be able to use all of your mechs. And yeah you’ll have to print out the Alpha Strike cards for the mechs you want to use, unless you already got them in your lance pack, box set etc.

I got Commander’s Edition as a PDF in the recent Humble Bundle on the cheap. Maybe it’s still running I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Comstar posted:

If I were to get the new Alphastrike boxed set...what other books and rules are also needed? I get the impression you also need the commanders book (if you want to play with tanks?) and another book for the mech rules. And the website to choose the mech and print it out.

This is unnecessarily complicated.

You just need the box. The rules will cover everything in the box. If you decide you wanna go farther, there’s the Alpha Strike Commanders Edition book. That’s it. One box, one book.