Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

withak posted:

If you haven't lost a Seamoth inside of an island because you raced up to the island faster than it could pop in then you haven't really played Subnautica.

Not a seamoth but I did have a Prawn clip into one of those cubes near the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

General Battuta posted:

You can't even get a patch through console cert in a weekend.

External factors need not apply. It'd be running on the dev machines. Technically enough for what I said, and ipso facto I wrote something technically correct on the internet

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2022

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Rynoto posted:

Not a seamoth but I did have a Prawn clip into one of those cubes near the island.

Protip to anyone reading: Do NOT jump down a certain elevator on a certain island in your PRAWN. The planet don't like that, no sir.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aoi posted:

Protip to anyone reading: Do NOT jump down a certain elevator on a certain island in your PRAWN. The planet don't like that, no sir.

Further to this, don't try to walk into the, uh, somewhat final area in BZ while in your prawn suit. If you even CAN get in, you'll get stuck.

I actually made the swim back up. All the way :shepface:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's not supposed to bug like that, but yeah I had the same issue on a recent playthrough. Just reload the save.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Further to this, don't try to walk into the, uh, somewhat final area in BZ while in your prawn suit. If you even CAN get in, you'll get stuck.

I actually made the swim back up. All the way :shepface:

You mean you swam from the fabrication center all the way back to the surface? drat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think there's much consistency about where the game will glitch out, it just glitches out sometimes. I had the water effect just randomly disappear around the castle so I was just stuck walking around the seafloor with no way to move on and had to restart, and I've gotten the prawnsuit stuck in a couple tight areas so that the legs glitched and it couldn't walk, but I managed to grapple my way out until the legs worked again.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I got my prawn stuck under a mushroom tree's top. It was a tight fit and I thought I could make it through if I grappled. Nope. Got stuck like Austin Powers driving a golf cart.

Had to make a new one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Did you try breaking it with a Seamoth crash?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

You mean you swam from the fabrication center all the way back to the surface? drat.

If that's the spot at the very bottom, past those nightmare reapers, or whatever they're called, where you finally build ALAN (huh, fabrication center is probably it) , then yes. It came VERY close, and I barely made it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 25, 2022

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I made the trip down to that goddamned fabrication center three goddamn times.

1st attempt: Forced my prawn inside, got it stuck. Reloaded.

2nd attempt: Left my prawn outside, came out afterwards to find it had disappeared in the mean time. Went online for help only to find out its common for those goddamned nightmare reaper things to eat your unmanned vehicles if they catch sight of them. Reloaded.

3rd attempt: Carefully hid the prawn in a barely accessible out-of-the-way nook nearby, and was still super paranoid during the far too lengthy fabrication set-piece.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Honestly, if you have all of the necessary suit and gear upgrades, and even generally know the way, you can swim back up. You WILL need extra oxygen from those plants when you get to them.

And to be clear, I actually made it to Margeurit's base, not the actual surface.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MrGreenShirt posted:

2nd attempt: Left my prawn outside, came out afterwards to find it had disappeared in the mean time. Went online for help only to find out its common for those goddamned nightmare reaper things to eat your unmanned vehicles if they catch sight of them. Reloaded.

I never thought that was the case. Did you maybe leave the lights on? I once had my Seamoth nibbled to death in the Bulb Zone because I left it as a floodlight while I was doing stuff outside of it.

I think that usually when you're not piloting a vehicle, it just doesn't exist for the reckoning of most creatures. I actually used an exploit of that for BZ. Take the seatruck and put at least one module on when you're going into the deep down, and then when you're in tight quarters with a nightmare leviathan, you can just step out of the driver's seat while the leviathan passes and wait for it to be gone.

There's also a hole straight up from the deep down to the surface without spiraling along the tunnels.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Here are a few threads of people running into the same problem I had. Interestingly, one of them claims that the shadow leviathans only attack unmanned Prawns, leaving unmanned Seatrucks alone so you might be onto something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've absolutely had my unmanned seatruck stolen away from me. I ended up alt-f4'ing rather than die and have to rebuild all those modules. And it's not as if I misplaced it either, it was in a very distinctive location.

quote:

There's also a hole straight up from the deep down to the surface without spiraling along the tunnels.

What?! How could I have missed that, I was searching for ages for exactly that. As I was making several deep scanner bases I noticed another deeper cave and spent ages scouring around to find access to it before realizing that it was the crystal caverns and I'd already been there -_-

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 26, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally met my first reaper. I was out in the mushroom forest searching for debris and wrecks, jumped out of my seamoth to scan something, and something enormous swam right over me, grabbed my seamoth, and vanished into the distance with it until the seamoth exploded. :(

That thing's going to be annoying to replace, although I did swim back to base safely. Funny thing is, my seamoth was running low on power and I was specifically hunting for moonpool data so I could recharge the seamoth.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can replace the batteries in a Seamoth without using a Moonpool.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I went through three seamoths before finding out that the repair tool worked on them. :eng99:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YggiDee posted:

You can replace the batteries in a Seamoth without using a Moonpool.

Noted.

But, to be honest, I'm now very tempted to activate console commands and be done with it.

It felt like a hell of a dick move to just randomly delete my seamoth with only a couple seconds warning and nothing I could have done to prevent it. I can rebuild it, but that's an annoying project to have to redo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some people just cannot appreciate art

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

Noted.

But, to be honest, I'm now very tempted to activate console commands and be done with it.

It felt like a hell of a dick move to just randomly delete my seamoth with only a couple seconds warning and nothing I could have done to prevent it. I can rebuild it, but that's an annoying project to have to redo.

I wouldn't cheat. The parts aren't hard to get.

Reapers aren't exactly subtle. They're loud and give themselves away at a distance. They stick to specific areas. They are never found around Reefbacks.

I think the Seamoth can take two reaper hits, so keep your ship repaired. Also look into defensive upgrades.

I wouldn't say there are nothing you could have done to prevent it. And even so, live and learn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zesty posted:

I wouldn't cheat. The parts aren't hard to get.

Reapers aren't exactly subtle. They're loud and give themselves away at a distance. They stick to specific areas. They are never found around Reefbacks.

I think the Seamoth can take two reaper hits, so keep your ship repaired. Also look into defensive upgrades.

I wouldn't say there are nothing you could have done to prevent it. And even so, live and learn.

Nah, gently caress it, I turned cheats on.

This game is fun when it's about exploring and trying to survive misadventure. Stupid sea monsters randomly loving me over isn't my idea of fun.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This game is fun when it's about exploring and trying to survive misadventure. Stupid sea monsters randomly loving me over isn't my idea of fun.

These are the same thing. You experienced a misadventure and then immediately started complaining about it

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They don’t just randomly gently caress you over. They’re a minor obstacle with rules and patterns to be overcome or exploited like anything else.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I lost my first Seamoth to a Reaper too. Was a great memory in hindsight! The potential drudgery of having to rebuild it? Don't recall that at all.

The game's pretty low-stakes as it is with the free respawning, don't cheat yourself out of any tension.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Look, play however you want, I think you have everyone's blessing about that, but yeah, don't claim to want to overcome misadventure, and then complain when you get what you wanted.

The reapers aren't stealthy in the least :shrug:

The fact that you survived is literally you surviving misadventure, no matter what happened to your seamoth.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I wish I lost my first Seamoth via Reaper, it would have been a more interesting story. I lost my first Seamoth because I parked it near an island, went exploring, and when I returned it had clipped through the island rock and was completely inaccessible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I’ve lost one that way too. Losing it to a reaper is one thing, them’s the breaks. Losing it to a glitch like that is when I’ll spawn one back in via console commands.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
My first Reaper story: I didn't actually lose my Seamoth to a reaper, but I did spend an entire in-game night pinned under the back end of the Aurora, sneaking out to desperately patch my seamoth up and try and scan the reaper. It knew I was there and it was pissed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was in my first Seamoth when my first Reaper grabbed it and I didn't have any of the defense equipment yet, so I completely panicked, jumped out, and swam for my life while fishy boy spent just enough time eating the sub for me to escape. I did not go back to the Aurora for a while.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I rarely trek north of the Aurora even after I’ve got the defensive upgrades. I had a reaper come grab my Seamoth after I’d parked at the water’s edge, going into the lower entrance of the ship. I was :confused: why it was moving away, and I got into the water to chase it. I heard the reaper’s roar and decided the Seamoth was a lost cause, and ran back to my tiny little outpost I like to put juuuust outside of the wreckage.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My only death to a Reaper was on my first or second trip to the Aurora, before I had the seamoth. I had seen it out in the distance swimming around on the way to the Aurora and made a save to check it out, but retreated after I saw how big it was. After I finished my trip spelunking the depths of the Aurora and my inventory was full, I heard it roar at me, but didn't look back because I thought that all I could do was try traveling in a straight line as fast as possible to outrun it, but it didn't work out. Maybe juking could've worked.

I actually didn't "accept" the death and reloaded the save, and I think the timing on my spelunking through the Aurora the second time through was right so that the Reaper wasn't in a position to spot and chase after me. I don't think I ever saw it swimming around the nose of the Aurora again after that, but I did see some reapers in the canyons behind the ship.

The lifepod near the Aurora with a guy who left a log about how he was trying to escape the Reaper was a pretty good prologue for the appearance of the Reaper as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfe9L1-NrDI&t=343s

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cythereal posted:

Noted.

Riley would be less upset about losing his Seamoth, since that could just as easily have been him getting plucked off the bottom while the moth looked on.

The key to early Seamoth recharges is to keep all of your pre-battery-charger dead batteries in a locker (or a pile on the seafloor), and run two of them with some rubber through the fabricator to get a new fully-charged power cell when the one you've got in starts getting low. Then, accumulate dead power cells the same way until you can construct a moon pool or the cell charger.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My favorite reaper death was one I survived. It grabbed me at full health, which you survive because it only does 90 damage.

I swam like hell and got away, then went to plant some mushrooms at my newly built planters.

And died of the acid cloud.

It was a hardcore run

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
It was the reaper by the aurora thrusters that got me. I had my menu open and all of a sudden, I saw what looked like a facehugger with a shark's mouth behind my inventory and the screen went black. It wasn't until a while later that I actually saw one and realized how big it was.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It didn't kill me but the worst a reaper ever got me was when I was taking the Seamoth out at night with the lights off (to avoid notice) and I went past a Reaper which was doing it's sneaky no-roaring phase, I didn't realise until it did it's extra-pissed 'I'm going to loving kill you' roar right next to me with no warning

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I had parked the Seamoth at like 298m so I could get out and dive deeper for some rare-at-that-point resources like rubies. I was swimming back to it for air when he came up, grabbed it, slammed against the side of a mountain and blew it up. I can’t remember if I drowned or not but it was a really cool visual that stuck with me

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

I had parked the Seamoth at like 298m so I could get out and dive deeper for some rare-at-that-point resources like rubies. I was swimming back to it for air when he came up, grabbed it, slammed against the side of a mountain and blew it up. I can’t remember if I drowned or not but it was a really cool visual that stuck with me

Legitimately upset I've never had this happen to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You forget to turn cheats back on once...

Goodbye, Seamoth #2. I was diving on a wreck below the Seamoth's crush depth and was ready to come back for air when I saw this. I made it to the surface with maybe two seconds of air left. -_-

That one, I was actually able to name. The Seamoth and the Nautilus are no more. Dauntless, you're up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My first Reaper encounter was when I was exploring too close to the Aurora and the fucker started eating my Seamoth while I was still in it. I managed to get out of the Seamoth before it crushed with me inside but it was a long swim home.