Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

big cummers ONLY posted:

What is the best space game for listening to podcasts while you do resource collection, space courier stuff, and arcade-style fighting? I know no man's sky has this, but are there fun payoffs for your time mining asteroids? Like is there a worthwhile incentive to do it beyond "I want to mine asteroids and catch up on Comedy Bang Bang"? I recently got a new gaming computer so a game that looks really pretty is a plus.

Sounds like you might enjoy Astrox Imperium, its got all that but this "arcade-style" fighting you speak of, it has combat but it's not "arcade"... but I cannot think of a better game for podcasts. Starsector too actually, but this one is not on Steam.

SplatterCat has done some videos of the game if you're curious to see it better in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Astrox imperium is basically single player eve online.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Astrox imperium is basically single player eve online.

I know my brain is broken when I start rationalizing how this can sound fun

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Starsector too actually, but this one is not on Steam.

AFAIK it will be on steam once it finally releases and I’m pretty sure the dev is going to provide steam keys to people who have paid for it.

It’s a really really good game

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK it will be on steam once it finally releases and I’m pretty sure the dev is going to provide steam keys to people who have paid for it.

Oh cool, good to know my kids kids can enjoy this on Steam when it finally does get a 1.0 release.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Oh cool, good to know my kids kids can enjoy this on Steam when it finally does get a 1.0 release.

Hey now you’ll be able to enjoy it in the old age home before you die.

He’s getting there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I can’t believe it’s almost been a full year since the last content update. I know the dude is very methodical and careful about updates but yikes.

I guess for anyone on the fence about this being EA, it’s practically done. I’m just surprised its taking so long to finalize it…unless this content update is supposed to be huge?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Have there been any recent games in the Subspace/Continuum genre e.g. top-down multiplayer shooters? Early 2000s had a ton of great ones like the aforementioned Subspace Continuum and Sony Infantry, but it feels like it died off when the modern FPS replaced it. I know Continuum still has active servers but something with some modern comforts would be nice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Foxhole's fits the bill, though it also has a heavy emphasis on logistics and supply lines.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Gripper posted:

Have there been any recent games in the Subspace/Continuum genre e.g. top-down multiplayer shooters? Early 2000s had a ton of great ones like the aforementioned Subspace Continuum and Sony Infantry, but it feels like it died off when the modern FPS replaced it. I know Continuum still has active servers but something with some modern comforts would be nice.

Foxhole is the big one and probably closest to Infantry in style since it's got some persistent metagame stuff IIRC. There's also Running with Rifles and Thunder Tier One.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

How much stuff does it have for like, poking around the edges of the game world looking for Weird poo poo?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
For Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East, which game do I launch to play the campaign?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As usual during steam sales, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, let me know your favorite genre(s), receive a game. In return, write a short review somewhere and\or ride the gift train. Simple.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FishMcCool posted:

:gary:

See those ships?

That's all the jpg which still aren't in game but that have been sold, some of them years ago. Recently one of the faithful suggested that these ships should have a recurring money cost (yes, a paid subscription in addition to having paid for the non-implemented jpg) because then it would somehow incentivise CIG to implement it in game. So while the game isn't anywhere in the foreseeable future, the reality show is absolutely in full swing and breaking boundaries in terms of surrealism.

To clarify this a bit, this makes it sound as if all of the ships you see on this image are strictly jpegs. Some of them exist in a sufficiently advanced form, like that big Aegis one, but they won't appear in the game until they can get that elusive Server Meshing thing to work (which is apparently being tested now, finally, as part of the patch they're trying to push out). Besides, they keep releasing new ships (even ground vehicles) into the game, albeit the smaller ones. It's mostly the capital ships that are a no-show so far.

At the same time some of the things CIG comes out with put the best Asian gachas to shame, like the modules to the newly-unveiled concept for the RSI Galaxy. Seriously, look it up.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 27, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

err posted:

For Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East, which game do I launch to play the campaign?

There are separate campaigns for base game/Hammers of Fate/Tribes of the East. Though I think there might be a mod that adds the former two to TotE. Hammers and base game might already be combined? I don't remember the exact details of those two.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Blattdorf posted:

At the same time some of the things CIG comes out with put the best Asian gachas to shame, like the modules to the newly-unveiled concept for the RSI Galaxy. Seriously, look it up.

I'm not gonna look it up, but I will giggle at naming something associated with grind after Repetitive Stress Injuries.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Black Ice has a 1.0 date for Spring 2023; the game has been in Early Access since 2014. Outside of Project Zomboid I can't think of a longer EA project on Steam. But good for that dev to be near the finish line.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The entirety of my sphere of awareness of these games is that one review, "I'm surrounded by blown Khaak, yet strangely unsatisfied"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKQcta_lNc

:allears:

Member when G4 was a fun channel for a hot minute?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In real space game news, Epic Games store has Star Wars Squadrons for free right now. The multiplayer was a bit of a wet fart but the single players gives you that cool star wars ride feel for a bit. And it's free.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alchenar posted:

In real space game news, Epic Games store has Star Wars Squadrons for free right now. The multiplayer was a bit of a wet fart but the single players gives you that cool star wars ride feel for a bit. And it's free.

I can’t believe they released the first space shooter in ages and they loving “focused on multiplayer” that nobody played anyway

Arghh

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Alchenar posted:

If you have VR this is one that's worth getting the headset back out too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I can’t believe they released the first space shooter in ages and they loving “focused on multiplayer” that nobody played anyway

Arghh

5v5 multiplayer in space so it's you and your oppenents shooting each other LITERALLY IN A FRICTIONLESS VOID this is not fun.

What they should have done is make it a 5 player coop Left4Dead-in-space experience.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I thought it was just a standalone version of the space fights from Battlefront 2 (the second battlefront 2 not the first one)

how many players were in a match in First Battlefront 2 anyways? I only played splitscreen

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Squadrons was cool, though it's sad how much the singleplayer mission design has regressed from the Xwing and Tie Fighter days. Multiplayer was fun but weirdly the bots cheated in such a way that comp stomps were a lot harder and less fun than a low level pick-up match

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Arghh
In fairness the multiplayer was really cool and fun, but there were only five maps and the main mode (kill the enemy capital ship) was extremely game-able. I think it honestly could have been a game that would have stayed interesting and new for years, if the devs had bothered to support the game with new ships and maps past the first three months.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I thought it was just a standalone version of the space fights from Battlefront 2 (the second battlefront 2 not the first one)

how many players were in a match in First Battlefront 2 anyways? I only played splitscreen

The game mode there was Starfighter Assault and was 12v12 with also a bunch of AI bots flying around. Surprising to hear that they didn't just have that as one of the game modes in Squadrons since it was probably the same engine and everything.

Talking about BF2, did the playerbase recover after that months long exploit was in circulation?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Squadrons' singleplayer was middling at best, with some truly abysmal writing and often frustrating mission design. A fair number of those missions were also just tutorials for the game's multiplayer game modes, and the campaign wasn't long enough to waste on that. Still, free is free, which is an ideal price.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I gave up on the single player early after the Nth strafing run where I blew up on an invisible hitbox that didn't line up with the undercarriage of the destroyer or whatever I was strafing

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Steam jacked up for anyone else? I can't make a purchase, getting communication errors trying to login, but https://steamstat.us/ doesn't really show even a blip so :shrug: ?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zereth posted:

How much stuff does it have for like, poking around the edges of the game world looking for Weird poo poo?

There's a lot of that. Unoccupied, out of the way star systems have a lot of weird things you can find, and it's usually very rewarding to go looking for them, albeit to some degree of risk from ancient drones and such.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

explosivo posted:

Steam jacked up for anyone else? I can't make a purchase, getting communication errors trying to login, but https://steamstat.us/ doesn't really show even a blip so :shrug: ?

Looks okay here but Steam issues can be pretty localised.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

Looks okay here but Steam issues can be pretty localised.

Thanks, I restarted my modem/router and it's working fine now. Weird!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Gripper posted:

It is not MP, but Ring Runner is the game that scratched my itch for Subspace the best in recent times and is an absolutely ridiculous bargain at its price point. Definitely one of the best recs I got from this thread.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hey goons what do I got for artillery games ala Scorched Earth/Pocket Tanks/Worms these days?

Hell, has there even been a good Worms entry since Armageddon yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Must be roughly two-thirds the way through CHORVS and it's dope, space melodrama aside. I remember not digging it much until the end of the demo, which I played around its original launch. I was kinda put off over just how arcadey it was and while that hasn't changed at all, I'm enjoying it on its own terms. Very basic in structure though, with limited ship upgrades (you're pretty much exclusively flying the same one craft), no trading at all, and very few side activities outside of "blow poo poo up." Luckily that part is satisfying and there's some great sound design with the standout being when enemy fighters boom right past you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

It is not MP, but Ring Runner is the game that scratched my itch for Subspace the best in recent times and is an absolutely ridiculous bargain at its price point. Definitely one of the best recs I got from this thread.

Ring Runner does have some multiplayer modes. There's deathmatch, a MOBA-style mode, and the Duo ships are apparently meant for 2-player local co-op.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Hey goons what do I got for artillery games ala Scorched Earth/Pocket Tanks/Worms these days?

Hell, has there even been a good Worms entry since Armageddon yet?

I'd love to say yes for Worms, but sadly no. Each new iteration tries something different, but none of them really capture the fun of Armageddon / Worms World Party. Even the supposed WWP Remaster is a glitchy mess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
team 17 has to be the laziest development team on earth.

at least they published Yoku's Island Express, which owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol

quote:

In early 2022, Team17 announced MetaWorms, a non-fungible token (NFT) project to sell procedurally generated images of characters from Worms as digitally owned objects on a blockchain.[33] The reaction to this project was swift and negative; the company cancelled it after multiple game development studios it had partnered with in the past, including Ghost Town Games, Playtonic, and Aggro Crab, condemned the project and vowed not to work with the publisher again.[33] Eurogamer reported that many employees were unaware of the project and were blindsided by its announcement, including the social media team which suffered online abuse and harassment from the public. Others who had knowledge of the project voiced their opposition to NFTs but were ignored by upper management which went forward anyway.[34]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All of my worms, are gone!