Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
The SQ-64 deal is back and now i own 2 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

speaking of great deals on sequencers, Squinky Labs has a sequencer (in VCV rack) that will load midi files and spit out 1v/oct cv and gate signals.
Great. Now I can just lean on some old dead dudes for my tunes while I play fuckaround with the sounds!
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/learn-to-synth-with-master-johann

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 27, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

speaking of great deals on sequencers, Squinky Labs has a sequencer (in VCV rack) that will load midi files and spit out 1v/oct cv and gate signals.
Great. Now I can just lean on some old dead dudes for my tunes while I play fuckaround with the sounds!
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/learn-to-synth-with-master-johann

this makes me want ES general midi module

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

been hearing a lot of Bach that I've not heard previously this evening. About halfway through the last jam, I realised it was a piece for cello, and I've been playing it with the pluckiest phase modulation I could muster. Oooh, maybe let that attack out a bit? hmmm that's a little more string like!
Also: can a cello play 3 notes at once? Just lean on the bow, and drag across multiple strings? I'm very ignorant of a lot of instruments.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

B33rChiller posted:

Also: can a cello play 3 notes at once? Just lean on the bow, and drag across multiple strings? I'm very ignorant of a lot of instruments.

Not really. The arc of the bridge is large enough that you can usually only get two with a single stroke. It might not be impossible to stop the middle string high enough to lower it so that you could hit three strings in a straight line, but that'd be a very specific set of notes you'd end up with.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Triple stops are a thing

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

JamesKPolk posted:

Triple stops are a thing

They are but I thought sustaining three notes at once for example would involve playing with the bow much closer to the fingerboard than usual, ie there'd be some tone color change at the same time?

On the other hand, if you mean the thing where you quickly 'roll' from the first pair of strings onto the second one, sure. That'd probably be a cool thing to try if you wanted to get some realistic nuances in a synth 'cello' performance, which is what I understood the OP to be aiming for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have the swam cello synth on my iPad, and getting any realistic playing from an imported midi file (or drawing notes on a piano roll) is really frustrating. I can get sort of believable by playing keyboard but it's still a off.

Not a complaint about the synth, but more noting how it's an instrument that needs a lot of nuance. I've seen MPE demos on YouTube and it can sound incredible.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I asked because the midi file I found had some brief moments with 3 notes playing at the same time. Not all 3 starting at the same time though. It's like one starts, sustains, then 2 other notes hit with a short sustain.
It seemed odd to me, having assumed cello only really does a single note at a time.
But, again, this is ALL news to me. I appreciate whatever knowledge folks are willing to share.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://voca.ro/13ZMnjj17uWh

I am pleased with where I am getting with Bloom, and generally. Approaching the point of being able to set up shifting soundscapes that I personally find pleasing and can just leave running. $10k solution to the previously free MyNoise.net.

Before I unpatched that I figured out how to set up random sample selection on the QD. I think I need to ditch this bank of Reagan samples finally, I am trying to think of someone to chop up, goofy and psychedelic in the vein of McKenna, but hopefully not already sampled to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kueQWIJ_FM

I need a cable management professional.....

Speaking of strings, I think BehrinGRRRRR is going to take up more space in here because VCF340 looks super cool and I can get one for like 450 new with a vendor discount if they ever land back in stock, which is pretty ??. I am definitely not spending $700 for a used one, ha.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 27, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

B33rChiller posted:

I asked because the midi file I found had some brief moments with 3 notes playing at the same time. Not all 3 starting at the same time though. It's like one starts, sustains, then 2 other notes hit with a short sustain.
It seemed odd to me, having assumed cello only really does a single note at a time.
But, again, this is ALL news to me. I appreciate whatever knowledge folks are willing to share.
There a possibility that midi file is made with a specific sound generator in mind that supports portamento and the overlap indicates it's time for one note to start gliding towards the other. There are all sorts of advanced midi techniques possible if the sound generator is more advanced than just a generic general midi setup. That said, it could just as well be an unintended artefact of someone unfamiliar with the instrument entering notes via keyboard.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

how many instruments is the MIDI file written for?

The cello part in a string quartet piece is going to be 1, an ensemble or orchestra might split a chord between a couple performers

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hmm, Adorama doesn't actually bill you for backorder stuff until they can fulfill it, so I went ahead and ordered a VC340 because why not.

It will either never be in stock, or will get billed at the most inconvenient time possible, is my guess.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

how many instruments is the MIDI file written for?

The cello part in a string quartet piece is going to be 1, an ensemble or orchestra might split a chord between a couple performers

Oh now I'm gonna have to use a daw and have a look.
Changed it up to the toejam and earl soundtrack midi files today. I know that has plucky sounds!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Weird question. Anyone know of a 4-6 operator FM synth for ios? I don’t wanna have to be at my PC if I just wanna noodle around and practice my patching.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bleass Omega is a pretty good 4 op FM synth. It's also $5 off right now. If you want to completely gently caress with your brain, ID700 is another option. I like the glitchy noises it can make.

I'm sure there's others but those are the ones I like. I think there's an OPL emulation one available too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

After chaining the Quadrax LFOs to get the longest possible oscillation out of it, pretty sure I'm gonna throw $300 at a Batumi sometime.

28 hour cycles. 28 hours. I guess a Maths costs similar and can do that same thing, but the Batumi looks pretty sweet.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIcNANjIZU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

It says something of our times that there's now a groovebox to fully simulate the past low bitrate sampling sound. Don't know what tho'.

(Sonicware is getting a lot of publicity as of late. I have their other FM-based groovebox, and while I haven't gone that deep into it yet, as an entry level FM-machine you could do worse.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
BH has M1 16gb/1Tb MacBook Airs for $1200 for the rest of the day, if you need something to run your software on

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ok Comboomer posted:

BH has M1 16gb/1Tb MacBook Airs for $1200 for the rest of the day, if you need something to run your software on

I have one of these with lower hd space and it is loving incredible for musicing with.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Anybody have a list of alternative firmware for Eurorack modules? I just discovered that both MI Rings and MI Warps have them, and that they're rad as hell. I'm also familiar with the alt firmwares for Clouds, Peaks (I like DMC's FM drums), Radio Music and Ornament & Crime (although I prefer the original o_C firmware for multiple things). There doesn't seem to be a real coherent list of them but I'm interested if other people have found other ones that are worth trying.

Oh, I got the After Later clone of Warps (Fuse) yesterday and it's drat nice, the colored lighting on the main knob isn't quite as diffuse as it is on the original Warps but it still looks good. And of course having a crossfader, ring modulator, wavefolder, vocoder and more in one module is bonkers.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Offhand their modules look pretty good, especially for the price.

Should not have gotten out the midi theremin this weekend, I was supposed to get so much done instead of playing with Pigments all night long for 3 nights. I'm an old man I'm not supposed to do that stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitch.tv/videos/1665118629

Listened to variations on this with different cassettes coming in and out all day today (this is w/ Joy Willow - Caves, a reissue of a weird as gently caress 1980s release by a mostly visual artist who never made another recording afaik)

at least I am making myself happy! :shrug:

and not actively making my partner pissed as long as I keep the bass low. My whole house is a resonator.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It says something of our times that there's now a groovebox to fully simulate the past low bitrate sampling sound. Don't know what tho'.

(Sonicware is getting a lot of publicity as of late. I have their other FM-based groovebox, and while I haven't gone that deep into it yet, as an entry level FM-machine you could do worse.)

“Brian Eno” posted:

“Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit - all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar sound is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them.”

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

drat. I want to hear this puppy pumping an Alesis 3630 compressor.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Good work toadee

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
the liven sampler is really cute but i gotta chill out on gear purchases. will wait a few months and consider it again because my only sampler is a po-33

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

*tapping the sign*

CatBlack posted:

the liven sampler is really cute but i gotta chill out on gear purchases. will wait a few months and consider it again because my only sampler is a po-33

samplers open so many doors

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

what does everyone think the "sound" artifact of the last decade is gonna be? My bet is high-fi modulated reverb

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

soundclouds compression algorithm

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Christ why are MIDI merge/thru boxes so expensive? Think I should be set after this order at least, all this pain because the drat Electribe and Beatstep Pro both don't do MIDI thru. Should be able to control everything from one spot once these boxes get here, with room in the routing to add in a Squarp Pyramid down the line since it looks to me to be a real successor to the RM1x sequencer. Individual MIDI outs too so I can shunt the Electribe to it's own port and use all the sample channels that way.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Me going back at 3 am for another sesh with the Pigments

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Christ why are MIDI merge/thru boxes so expensive? Think I should be set after this order at least, all this pain because the drat Electribe and Beatstep Pro both don't do MIDI thru. Should be able to control everything from one spot once these boxes get here, with room in the routing to add in a Squarp Pyramid down the line since it looks to me to be a real successor to the RM1x sequencer. Individual MIDI outs too so I can shunt the Electribe to it's own port and use all the sample channels that way.

There's always one or more electronics weirdos on ebay willing to sell you a DIY MIDI box minus the, uh, box on the very cheap

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Midi Solutions 2 channel thrus I remember being pretty cheap? But yeah like still a significant chunk of change for something that should be standard.

Part of it is until a few years ago no one had cared since like 1995. The old poo poo is still good though but maybe picked clean now

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah you can still probably pick up a nice Midisport on the cheap with a little luck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The MRCC midi router is what I got my eye on for wrangling all the midi. Definitely not cheap but it's in the solves everything forever category.

They have a smaller version at half the price but you lose the screen.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

The MRCC midi router is what I got my eye on for wrangling all the midi. Definitely not cheap but it's in the solves everything forever category.

They have a smaller version at half the price but you lose the screen.

MRCC is so fuckin cool. Does everything I could ever want including some stuff I basically kept an MPC around for. I'm still barely scratching the surface.

I'm curious about the smaller one - I was a very early user and that didn't exist then, but that is honestly probably enough for me. I don't get that much out of the screen really, it's pretty set and forget, but I might if I was clocking or using the arp more.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

what does everyone think the "sound" artifact of the last decade is gonna be? My bet is high-fi modulated reverb

Tiktok text-to-speech from a mobile phone speaker

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
pumped pads sidechained to the kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i hope so thats my favorite gimmick

what headphones should i get, should I just get 280s again?