Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just grab yourself a full set of cheap 80 exotics for everyone you play, the gold cost can be gained in less then a hour or two of good farming, then don't forget to slot in your 6 runes.

Beyond that just slowly progress towards ascended upgrades on your favorite character and the slow unlocking of legendary items so you can just auto-salvage everything for that legendary slot from then on.

Once you get into fractals or raids you can find a lot of ascended gear just thrown at you for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Note: higher tier fractals. T1s and T2s to an extent have awful drop rates.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Luggage posted:

Note: higher tier fractals. T1s and T2s to an extent have awful drop rates.

Which is unfortunate, as t1 and t2 are super chill while t3 is a tryhard hellscape.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

T3 'can' be ok.

But you are better off going from T2 to T4.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Always skip the "middle" difficulty in games like this when possible, that is where toxic gamers lie in wait.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

As someone who started running fractals early last month and has been in T3 for the past two weeks, my experience has been...fine? Then again I've mostly stuck to running dailies/recs. Like, the number of times I've had to deal with an rear end in a top hat or watch a group fall apart after wiping a couple of times on a boss was in the single digits. All the other folks I did fractals with seemed rather chill and were willing enough to see the whole instance through. I've definitely seen a lot more and a lot worse toxicity when I did mythic+ dungeons in WoW a few years back.

I unlocked T4 last night though and have enough agony resist (with those potions) for every dungeon, so if T3 is the worst that fractals had to offer community-wise then I'm looking forward to smooth sailing from here.

Genthil fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 27, 2022

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

T3 is fine until its not.

Youll know when that is.

feel free to bail at any time

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lpzie posted:

Wow I didn't know PVP was basically DOTA 2!!

at launch they tried to push the esport angle HARD. gw1 had better pvp

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Meskhenet posted:

T3 is fine until its not.

Youll know when that is.

feel free to bail at any time

For me it was the guy writing "150 AR and no brains" in the chat.

Though to be fair, the rest of the group also voted to kick him.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Always skip the "middle" difficulty in games like this when possible, that is where toxic gamers lie in wait.

True. Even DRG has a pit of despair at T3.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

What are the chances we get character slots going on sale? I want to be able to have one of each profession.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

El Fideo posted:

For me it was the guy writing "150 AR and no brains" in the chat.

Though to be fair, the rest of the group also voted to kick him.

Thats pretty tame for a T3 melt down.
Sometimes you just have to accept that the party doesnt have the right mix to get past a certain point

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I've spent like $250 on GW2 over the years and have never touched a fractal. That's not true I got carried through a fractal once but they seemed to be Ultra Good at it and I felt like it was one of those things where there's a correct way to do it, and it is not at all how normal gameplay looks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Fractals are good for story too.

Your missing a bit there.

Its nice to be carried. Your first entry into T4's will often be part of a group where you get to where you need to be just in time to loot the dead mob.

i CAN NOT do the thaum reactor reactor room bit for the life of me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I pretty much only run fractals if I catch Apple recruiting for T4s or recs.

Thanks for explaining mechanics and stuff and I hope I never annoyed you by being kinda bad :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

El Fideo posted:

What are the chances we get character slots going on sale? I want to be able to have one of each profession.

unlikely, and the discount will be bad when it does happen (20% or less)

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

orcane posted:

I pretty much only run fractals if I catch Apple recruiting for T4s or recs.

Thanks for explaining mechanics and stuff and I hope I never annoyed you by being kinda bad :3:

Apple is basically a Saint.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Patch notes are out and Deadeye rifle range isn't nerfed :cool:

Also it looks like there is an undocumented change where you can teleport forward and stealth if you walk into sniper's cover?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2022

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Catalyst is hitting 45k dps again so expect a nerf soon haha this poo poo is so stupid lololol

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I went and bought some gems but instead of going through right away it said "we are currently reviewing this purchase attempt". That's very new to me; in the past I usually would get gems instantly when I paid. How long does it usually take? Do they think I'm a scammer or something?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I went and bought some gems but instead of going through right away it said "we are currently reviewing this purchase attempt". That's very new to me; in the past I usually would get gems instantly when I paid. How long does it usually take? Do they think I'm a scammer or something?

It usually goes through within a few minutes, not sure why that started happening either. If it's your first time in a while with a new payment method maybe they need to verify it.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

It usually goes through within a few minutes, not sure why that started happening either. If it's your first time in a while with a new payment method maybe they need to verify it.

Weird. Thankfully it finally went through a couple of minutes ago.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ApeHawk posted:

Catalyst is hitting 45k dps again so expect a nerf soon haha this poo poo is so stupid lololol

I really don't understand why are they so averse to the idea of a public test realm.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
So in all the ten years on and off I've played this game, I've somehow never made a ranger. I wish I'd thought to do so sooner; I had no idea hucking axes about could be so satisfying.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“Oops all axes” is really fun, almost as fun as becoming a double human torch who throws axes and torches

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

jokes posted:

“Oops all axes” is really fun

Agreed

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the playable character is the second one from the left, not sure what the devs were thinking with the naked guy

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

where the red fern gropes posted:

the playable character is the second one from the left, not sure what the devs were thinking with the naked guy

That's not Braham?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Since someone was asking earlier, there's a character slot expansion sale on right now, only 20% though.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I really doubt we'll see more than 20% anytime soon.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

rune salvage kit plz!!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Hell yes, I'm running a double axe Charr warrior to 80 right now and she just hacks and spins everywhere, it's great

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Really wish they'd make warrior shield better, with less cooldowns or charges or something.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm giving this another shot now that I have a nice gaming PC. This game is very pretty! Is there a class that is piss-easy to play in pve? Preferably a flashy spellcaster but my #1 priority is simplicity of playstyle so I can be stoned and distracted by TV as much as possible. I picked necro because she's a pretty goth mommy but only played for half an hour so far.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm giving this another shot now that I have a nice gaming PC. This game is very pretty! Is there a class that is piss-easy to play in pve? Preferably a flashy spellcaster but my #1 priority is simplicity of playstyle so I can be stoned and distracted by TV as much as possible. I picked necro because she's a pretty goth mommy but only played for half an hour so far.

Necro is pretty good for zoning out. You can look up Power Reaper for a fairly simple easy to play build that will easily let you get through the game.

Mesmer has a Staff Mirage build that is a bit flashier but requires a bit more attention.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I got a newish PC with a 3060 12GB and this thing still chugs down to 20 or so FPS in world boss fights, hah. Granted this is with most settings on max.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you’re looking for a survivable and low stress spellcaster with some fun variant playstyles then you chose well with Necro.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mercury_Storm posted:

I got a newish PC with a 3060 12GB and this thing still chugs down to 20 or so FPS in world boss fights, hah. Granted this is with most settings on max.

Unfortunately, it will always do that, regardless of your hardware. Even with the latest CPUs (your graphics card really doesn't matter much).

Reduce your player model limit and make sure to not use ultra shadows (those literally halve your fps) and it should improve a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, if you’re looking for a survivable and low stress spellcaster with some fun variant playstyles then you chose well with Necro.

Sweet! My last newbie question before I go off and explore: is there anything I need to make absolute sure I'm doing or I'm going to be annoyed later? Can I ignore professions or should I work on those too? I'm assuming professions are a whole mini progression ecosystem on their own and if I can hold off on learning that, it'd be aces