Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Pokemon Legends Arceus: credits rolled but I'm pretty sure there's more to go after they're done. Wonderful game. First pokemon I've put much time into since red and besides the big obvious changes it had so many little improvements. First realizing I could walk around during a battle blew my mind lol :frogbon: Really excited to see where they go with a direct sequel/evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

50) Dragon Warrior II (GBC)

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

1. arceus
2. elden ring
3. ratchet and clank: rift apart
4. cyberpunk 2077
5. triangle strategy
6. Judgement
7. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

8. star ocean the divine force
I hadn't played a star ocean game since SO2 but I enjoyed the demo and picked it up on release. this was a surprisingly solid 8 for me. the combat and the exploration was pretty fun. I went with Ray, might go back some day and try the Laeticia path (but probably wont).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil In Me. I've enjoyed all of these Dark Pictures games to different degrees so far and this was no exception. Gameplay-wise they've added some QOL improvements like a run button and some movement mechanics to climb over or under obstacles and stuff like that so your characters are a lot easier to navigate around the environment and don't feel as slow and clunky as past games could be, they differentiated the characters more with each one having their own gameplay mechanics like lockpicking and even different light sources that lit up the environment in different ways which really changes the atmosphere in a game like this.

I was pretty engaged in the story too, it was pretty much a straightforward slasher with no real major twist but honestly I found that pretty refreshing and I liked all the characters enough that I was invested in keeping them alive. It sort of alternated between a regular Friday the Thirteenth style slasher where the bad guy picked up an axe or a butcher knife to chase you down personally and one more in the vein of like Saw or Cube or something where the villain is in a control room beneath the mansion watching your characters through camera monitors and triggering traps, opening and closing doors and fake walls etc. I thought both were effective, you constantly felt like none of the characters were safe because you never knew when you might trigger a trap or suddenly get cut off by a wall slamming shut, and you frequently felt disoriented or off-balance since the hallways and rooms could appear and disappear, places you've already been to will have a different layout when you return, and so on which is a favorite trick of mine in horror games.

I managed to keep everyone alive too which is a first for me in the series. Looking forward to the next one, they actually had a teaser for it at the end which surprised me since I thought there might be a wait between seasons. Looks like the next one's going into Event Horizon-style far-future sci-fi horror, which could be neat.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

51) Tales of Symphonia (4 player co-op in Dolphin)

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

4 player tales sounds like a blast, i should try it out some day

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

French Accent posted:

Vesperia 4-player is really good too if you can get it going.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

French Accent posted:

same, just gotta make 3 friends first

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

1. The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
2. Valkyrie no Densetsu
3. Persona 4 Golden ng+
4. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
5. Elden Ring
6. Golden Axe arcade
7. Pirates of Dark Water SNES
8. Batman: Arkham City
9. A Hat in Time
10. Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
11. Hades full completion
12. Sekiro ng+++
13. Psychonauts 2
14. Odallus: The Dark Call
15. Gargoyle's Quest
16. Soma

17. Pentiment
Knew from the trailer that this would be my jam. Eavesdrop, gossip and blaspheme! Pin murders on the innocent and make sure to eat three meals every day. Double your playtime by obsessively scouring every screen for changes over and over again.
18. Goblin's Quest 3
Gave up on this 20 years ago, but now I have the wisdom of adulthood + hint books. Glad I got to play the two earlier games before beating this, though 3 is imo the better by a wide margin.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

41. Dragon Quest II (Switch)

Really enjoying this series. Looking forward to playing the rest of them.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Oops. Quote not edit

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

102)Emily is Away Too

Worst game I've played all year, phenomenally stupid, but it was like a half hour long and now I get to remove it from my backlog. Good riddance.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

103) Arkham City

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Virtual Boy Wario Land

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Beat level 20 of whatever the ascension levels are called for Luck Be A Landlord. I guess that's the end since it's out of early access now. Fun little casual game, the higher levels feel like you're just trying over and over until you get a highroll but there's a surprising amount of tiny little edges you can find.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
pokemon scarlet

yeah it looks rough as poo poo but it's the most fun it's been in years so I'm willing to forgive a lot

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

24. CrossCode

This has taken me a long time to finish even though I really enjoyed it - I broke off my playthrough a bit over halfway through when Elden Ring came out, and only came back to it recently.

I found out about this from a Razbuten video about "indie games that you might not have tried", having never heard of it before, and I agree with his review that it's crazy this game isn't talked about in the same way as the other indie darlings like Undertale or Braid or whatever. It's a top-down sort of zelda/rpg hybrid but both the combat and the puzzles were pushed to their absolute limit - most of the enemies are sort of mini puzzles in that there's a certain way to break their defence and deal them a lot of damage, and some of them are incredibly inventive with this, and the puzzles (which were the highlight for me) are explorations of a particular mechanic and were mind-bending but never felt unfair.

I even liked the story, although your mileage may vary - there's a bunch of layers given the set up which is that you're trapped in a MMO, so you're playing through the story of the game you're in, there's a meta story of what's going on with your character, and then there's a sort of side story of the other players you meet along the way. For whatever reason, the experience of making real friendships online really struck a chord with me right after the pandemic, who would have thought. The actual writing was really good as well, I laughed out loud multiple times which is pretty rare for a game.

The only unfortunate part for me was the ending, as there's a "point of no return" which I went through severely underleveled and had to knock the difficulty down a bit to finish, which left a slightly bad taste in my mouth, but other than that I can't say enough positive things about this game. I loved it.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Aston posted:

24. CrossCode

This has taken me a long time to finish even though I really enjoyed it - I broke off my playthrough a bit over halfway through when Elden Ring came out, and only came back to it recently.

I found out about this from a Razbuten video about "indie games that you might not have tried", having never heard of it before, and I agree with his review that it's crazy this game isn't talked about in the same way as the other indie darlings like Undertale or Braid or whatever. It's a top-down sort of zelda/rpg hybrid but both the combat and the puzzles were pushed to their absolute limit - most of the enemies are sort of mini puzzles in that there's a certain way to break their defence and deal them a lot of damage, and some of them are incredibly inventive with this, and the puzzles (which were the highlight for me) are explorations of a particular mechanic and were mind-bending but never felt unfair.

I even liked the story, although your mileage may vary - there's a bunch of layers given the set up which is that you're trapped in a MMO, so you're playing through the story of the game you're in, there's a meta story of what's going on with your character, and then there's a sort of side story of the other players you meet along the way. For whatever reason, the experience of making real friendships online really struck a chord with me right after the pandemic, who would have thought. The actual writing was really good as well, I laughed out loud multiple times which is pretty rare for a game.

The only unfortunate part for me was the ending, as there's a "point of no return" which I went through severely underleveled and had to knock the difficulty down a bit to finish, which left a slightly bad taste in my mouth, but other than that I can't say enough positive things about this game. I loved it.

CrossCode was fun. There was a lot to do in every level and the puzzles were pretty good. It was too long for me and I ended up giving up on it when it was going to go off of GamePass along with some other stuff that I wanted to spend time with instead. I don't know how close I was to the end - I found the town with all the people trapped who could never leave and my interest had sort of run out but I had fun with it while I was playing

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Aston posted:

24. CrossCode

IT took me two attempts to beat this. Three years ago I quit right before the final boss because I didn't have the energy for the puzzle right before it. Kinda embarrassing.

Recently I started from the beginning again, did most of the quests and had tons of fun. Actually beat it too.

Now I'm playing through the DLC. It's a continuation of the story. Not done with it yet but I'd recommend it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
40. Evergate (All Bonus Stages)

Mamkute fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 30, 2022

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Cross/Code is interesting in that has a lot of cool stuff goin on in it, and I had a lot of fun with it, but there's just something there that stops it from being a 'great' game. Like, literally every person that's played it has fallen off it at some point because despite everything it just loving drags at points.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

Cross/Code is interesting in that has a lot of cool stuff goin on in it, and I had a lot of fun with it, but there's just something there that stops it from being a 'great' game. Like, literally every person that's played it has fallen off it at some point because despite everything it just loving drags at points.
For me it's that it never feels like the training wheels come off. I got about halfway through the game, and while I liked exploring individual areas, I always felt railroaded along the experience when all I wanted was for it to finally open up and let me just wander around and figure some poo poo out.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

59) OneeChanbara Origin

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mamkute posted:

40. Evergate (All Bonus Stages)
I saw that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evergate is a haunting 2D puzzle-platformer set in a stunning hand-drawn vision of the Afterlife with an original score recorded by a live orchestra.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Vadun posted:

59) OneeChanbara Origin

Hyyyyyype.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

52) Virtual Boy Wario Land (Normal and Hard all treasures)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah.

42. Wario Land Virtual Boy - Normal, all treasures

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pokemon Scarlet - Completed Pokedex

Really great game despite its flaws and performance issues

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Plebian Parasite posted:

It's far from perfect and I have a lot of gripes with it, including the pacing, but I think it still deserves to be up there in the pantheon of indie darlings and I feel like I barely hear it mentioned.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Vadun posted:

59) OneeChanbara Origin

it is quite frankly insane they want me to pay 60 dollars for a game that looks objectively worse and probably plays worse than the hidden gem retro ps2 classic.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dragon quest 2. god dmn that last chunk is tough

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dragon Quest 4: not quite as fun as 3 for me but I think a lot of that was just using the 3d version of the game for the phone port made it a bit more awkward to control. That final boss was amazing though. I finished the post game last night just in time to start playing rocket slime for game club.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

mysterious loyall X posted:

it is quite frankly insane they want me to pay 60 dollars for a game that looks objectively worse and probably plays worse than the hidden gem retro ps2 classic.

I'm getting good use out of Playstation Extra/Premium.

I'd never have thought to play these otherwise

Vadun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 2, 2022

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

:whoptc:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

dragon quest 2. god dmn that last chunk is tough

lol the last bit when you're approaching the villain's castle and all the enemies are casting thwack or some equivalent spell at you had me turning full DSP. Cahm ahn, nothing I could do, what do they expect me to do here dood, the whole thing

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
when i finally finish ace attorney 6 im going to play all of the dragon quests, in the following manner:

1,2,3 - super famicom
4,5,6,7 - 3ds
8 - ps2
9 - 3ds
11 - switch

this will probably take me at least a year

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

when i finally finish ace attorney 6 im going to play all of the dragon quests, in the following manner:

1,2,3 - super famicom
4,5,6,7 - 3ds
8 - ps2
9 - 3ds
11 - switch

this will probably take me at least a year

Why the PS2 version of 8 instead of 3DS. Just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
orchestrated ost. and i prefer console gaming over handheld